David Pierce Makes Me Big Sad

Yama Yak Yachtzi

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Bryce Reagan initially transferred to Arizona but quit baseball shortly after that. 

Kind of weird. Maybe baseball wasn't his thing. 

Google machine says he actually plays at Southern New Hampshire University.

https://www.snhupenmen.com/sports/bsb/2020-21/bios/reagan_bryce_67h6?view=gamelog&pos=h

Weird to say the least

God I love you guys. Threads like this just go to show how united we are. We don’t take sides. We’re open minded, non reactionary good folk. I’m fucking tired of being tied with LSU in titles. Let’s bring home number 7 and let the rest of college baseball that their time is up. We’re back. We were always going to be back. Now move over, boys. The men have arrived. 

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...

He lost me tonight, absolute gutless, apathetic, pussy, dog shit, laziest managerial performance I've ever seen at Texas. Fucking no coaching, ass puckered, and for the love of god go stick up for your fucking players, we've absolutely gotten dominated but that umpire has been fucking horrible. Show your team you fucking care.. 

It's beyond the outcome of the game at this point, I hope like hell we pull it out for the players.

Edited by chase25
  • Fuck You 8

3 minutes ago, chase25 said:

He lost me tonight, absolute gutless, apathetic, pussy, dog shit, laziest managerial performance I've ever seen at Texas. Fucking no coaching, ass puckered, and for the love of god go stick up for your fucking players, we've absolutely gotten dominated but that umpire has been fucking horrible. Show your team you fucking care.. 

It's beyond the outcome of the game at this point, I hope like hell we pull it out for the players.

Could you be any more of a pussy?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, chase25 said:

giphy.gif

Just now, petscii said:

I'll apologize later...  :)

I don't even care, even had we won everything in that post would have been true. As a manager the #1 thing you can't fail at is having your players back and he was a total spectator tonight. Might as well have taken the uniform off and gone and sat up in the stands. 

Players at least played like hell and showed heart in the 9th and I was hoping they pulled it off for each other because I sure as hell know Pierce wasn't going to go out there and show any heart or stick up for them.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, chase25 said:

Go ahead and let the door hit you in the ass on the way out

• Hook 'Em 6

I said/asked it on the other thread.  So he goes out and bitches out the ump, gets ejected and then what?

Augie might have done that at the right opportunity, but I don't think he'd do it over balls and strikes to keep the hitters from striking out.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I said/asked it on the other thread.  So he goes out and bitches out the ump, gets ejected and then what?

Augie might have done that at the right opportunity, but I don't think he'd do it over balls and strikes to keep the hitters from striking out.

Seriously. It’s not worth it. And chase dude chill. We’re in the college World Series. At this exact moment it’s probably not the best comparison, but @Gatorubet may be able to help me out. Didn’t Florida go 2 and q or damn near every year until they won it all in like 2017 or something? It just took O’Sullivan a few years to finally get over the hump. May be the same way with Pierce. But we’re fucking there and we still got at least another game left. Let’s 2014 this shit but actually win our bracket and go to the finals and all that fun shit 

• Hook 'Em 2

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Augie did it plenty of times over balls and strikes. You are in the 8th inning you've looked sick all night mostly because you've sucked but somewhat because the home plate ump has been ass all night. You haven't had anything going all night, runner on 1st with 2 outs, Hodo comes up against one of the best relievers in the country works a 3-1 count then gets a called strike around his neck and you don't even get off the top step. 

Obviously you can't make a habit of getting tossed, Augie never did, but he knew when to draw the line in the sand to make sure his players knew he had their back. I'd say the 8th inning and 2 outs of game 1 of college world series when your team had struck out a billion times (some of which on some horseshit) is the perfect time to show some fire and let your team know that you've got their back but hey that is just me. 

Like I said throughout the night I wasn't even mad at the players towards the end of the night and was proud of how they played in the bottom of the 9th, they showed more heart in that half inning than Pierce did all night. I'm not going to create a new thread so I just posted in here, obviously you are not going to fire the guy but for anybody that watched that game tonight to be able to sit there and say they didn't feel for the players when they were having to sit there and deal with a strike zone that was all over the place all fucking night. Just to have their manager not come off the top step one time all night? Are you kidding me... 

Who the fuck knows if him getting tossed would have made a difference, probably wouldn't have and hell they still almost came back even with him standing their like a spectator, but for fucks sake have their back.

Is what it is now. I'll be pulling like hell for them Tuesday against Tennessee and beyond because I love this group of guys. Just a total apathetic coaching job tonight from Pierce IMO who is now 0-3 in Omaha and has been outscored 19-7 in those games.

I was somewhat surprised by the complete lack of concern or urgency by Pierce and the coaches.  I guess the idea was to stay calm and stoic in the dugout, with the hope that it would spread to the team; and they'd get back to their usual style of play.  That style didn't work.  Neither would running around screaming, I guess.  Pierce got us this far, and I'm with him.  But make no mistake, the team he brought to Omaha last night...they're not winning four games in a row to make it out of this bracket.  Everybody's pitching staff came to play, except Tennessee.  Which is why I'm optimistic we can at least avoid a 2-and-que.  But hey, gotta stay hopeful.  Where's a good place to watch the Tuesday afternoon game in Austin?  Should be a lot less hot than usual. 

A leopard is not going to change his spots.  That's not to say Pierce couldn't have taken his case to the ump, but he's definitely not a fire & brimstone guy.

It's possible -- I'm not saying it's probable -- but it's possible he's a better regular season coach than he is a tournament coach, especially against top competition, which is obviously what teams see in Omaha.  I think it's way too early to make that call.

The weird thing is, had the strikeouts been 17/16 most of the talk would be about the awesome pitching duel.  When it goes 21/12, the team with 21 feels like they got hit by a truck.  (They did.  Two trucks.)

At this exact moment it’s probably not the best comparison, but [mention=700]Gatorubet[/mention] may be able to help me out. Didn’t Florida go 2 and q or damn near every year until they won it all in like 2017 or something?

While not a great UF CWS history, it was not THAT bad. Pre-Sullivan we had 5 CWS appearances, with an 8-10 record. We were beaten in the ‘05 Championship by Texas.

We made it to the CWS Championship again in 2011, but lost to South Carolina.

Won it all in 2017.

Post-Sullivan we have 6 CWS appearances with a record of 13-11.

So 11 CWS appearances since 1988, with an overall CWS record of 21-21.

57 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

A leopard is not going to change his spots.  That's not to say Pierce couldn't have taken his case to the ump, but he's definitely not a fire & brimstone guy.

It's possible -- I'm not saying it's probable -- but it's possible he's a better regular season coach than he is a tournament coach, especially against top competition, which is obviously what teams see in Omaha.  I think it's way too early to make that call.

The weird thing is, had the strikeouts been 17/16 most of the talk would be about the awesome pitching duel.  When it goes 21/12, the team with 21 feels like they got hit by a truck.  (They did.  Two trucks.)

Hopefully, unlike say, Tom Herman, Pierce learns from mistakes.

So we win the Big 12 and go into the tournament as the #2 overall seed, sweep our Regional, sweep our Super, then lose one game by one run in the CWS, and people turn on the coach.

I hope some of you are sterile.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

So we win the Big 12 and go into the tournament as the #2 overall seed, sweep our Regional, sweep our Super, then lose one game by one run in the CWS, and people turn on the coach.

The warning signs were there (offensively).  

People got called out for even saying something negative, which is typical of our sunshine pumping baseball fandom.  Zubia and Melendez have been cold for weeks.  We didn't really hit that well in our regional or super regional - we got gifted a lot of runs via walks and errors from bad pitching.  We struck out like 40 times in our games in OKC against teams' #2/3 guys.   Even with RISP, we struggled the 3 weekends before Omaha. 

The pitching and defense were never a problem.  The hitting and baserunning were. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

This is true. But it’s also true that the team looked like absolute shit that set a record for strikeouts. Great pitching kept us in it, but all night there were no adjustments at the plate and we looked like a little league team

• Hook 'Em 2

In our 9 postseason games, we are striking out 9.1 times per game (82 total) - we've been gifted 7.5 walks per game by sub-par pitching, including 4 double digit walks drawn (10 from WVU in game 2 of OKC, 10 by Southern, 11 by Fairfield and 12 by USF in game 2 of the supers).  We have 3 double digit strikeouts in those 9 games (17 versus OU, 14 against WVU in game 2 of OKC, 10 versus Fairfield) and another game with 9 (OSU)

We also have double digit left on base in 6 games (11, 10, 10, 11, 13, 11). 

Again, some of y'all had (and still have) blinders on - it's ok to criticize the team.  We're an above-average hitting team that relies on average pitching to put us on base and we look overmatched by better than average/good/elite pitching.  We still stuck at hitting them in (@troph)

• Rage+1 2

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The warning signs were there (offensively).  

People got called out for even saying something negative, which is typical of our sunshine pumping baseball fandom.  Zubia and Melendez have been cold for weeks.  We didn't really hit that well in our regional or super regional - we got gifted a lot of runs via walks and errors from bad pitching.  We struck out like 40 times in our games in OKC against teams' #2/3 guys.   Even with RISP, we struggled the 3 weekends before Omaha. 

The pitching and defense were never a problem.  The hitting and baserunning were. 

Yeah, I don't disagree with any of that.  

But talk of firing the coach as soon as your 5-0 tournament team becomes 5-1 is exactly how to get labeled as a shitty fanbase.

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, I don't disagree with any of that.  

But talk of firing the coach as soon as your 5-0 tournament team becomes 5-1 is exactly how to get labeled as a shitty fanbase.

Again, the "Fire (Coach)" thread is just an all encompassing "bitch about (coach) thread"

I'm more concerned that our at-bats in game 63 looked as bad as game 1 against the same team.  That seems like shitty coaching. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Good analysis on this page.  We're not calling for anybody to be fired.  We're labeled as a shitty fanbase because of the car-horn dude from Regionals/Super Regionals.  If he hasn't been pummeled in a parking garage yet, we're not doing out job as fans.  Nobody really wants Pierce fired, last night was just do damn frustrating.  And we know deep down inside, he shouldn't be dwelling on last night even though we are.  He should be focused on Tennessee and I believe he is.  We made it to Omaha twice in four attempts (2020 notwithstanding).  That's about our usual rate at UT.  It's just losing like that fucking stings extra bad.  Doesn't mean his job or anything, but if we don't beat Tennessee and Virginia and get back to MSU this weekend...Pierce can suck a bag of dicks.  Miss. State is gonna win this bracket, but we need to show some fucking knowledge of the game and win 2 or 3 more before we go home.  

Biggest gripe is what others have said regarding letting MSU pitcher stay in rhythm.  It may not have made a difference if you would have tried to lay down some more bunts or called time outs but dang, don't just sit there and watch like the last episode of Seinfeld.

Here's to hoping we get to see Ty Madden get another chance in a Longhorn uniform.  Great game by him last night.

7 hours ago, Machinator said:

I am surprised that it was bumped because our coach failed to throw a bitch-fit to the umpires.

There is something between falling  asleep in the dugout (which even Augie did once) and throwing a bitch-fit at the umps, like having a man-to-man behind home plate. 

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

Good analysis on this page.  We're not calling for anybody to be fired.  We're labeled as a shitty fanbase because of the car-horn dude from Regionals/Super Regionals.  If he hasn't been pummeled in a parking garage yet, we're not doing out job as fans.  Nobody really wants Pierce fired, last night was just do damn frustrating.  And we know deep down inside, he shouldn't be dwelling on last night even though we are.  He should be focused on Tennessee and I believe he is.  We made it to Omaha twice in four attempts (2020 notwithstanding).  That's about our usual rate at UT.  It's just losing like that fucking stings extra bad.  Doesn't mean his job or anything, but if we don't beat Tennessee and Virginia and get back to MSU this weekend...Pierce can suck a bag of dicks.  Miss. State is gonna win this bracket, but we need to show some fucking knowledge of the game and win 2 or 3 more before we go home.  

If Augie, Gus and Pierce had a round table in the back of the bar after last night's game....what would they have to say to Pierce....and what would each be drinking?

• immamac changed the title to David Pierce Makes Me Big Sad