David Pierce Makes Me Big Sad

Yama Yak Yachtzi

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

No one should be posting in this thread and @immamac should lock it. Fucking embarassing. And I know I myself am guilty of bumping something earlier but seriously. 

That’s why @dcar00 and I think it should be renamed to “The fuck, Pierce?” Call out the minor shit that drives us nuts 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steel Shank said:

Bingo.

Edit: And where the fuck did I say fire the coach? I just have some questions about our hitting and base running. But go right ahead.

Damn sensitive Nancy.

To my surprise, baserunning I think was a big plus for us in Omaha.

31 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

1st in extra base hits

2nd in home runs, total bases, slugging, RBIs, and OPS

3rd in average

WhY iS hE sTaRtInG?

and, despite having the plate approach of Javy Baez, he actually shortened up his swing and got some huge base hits/rbi on multiple two-strike counts in Omaha. of our big three bats he was the one who most consistently gave us good AB's.

in 5 games we had 2 players get 5 or more hits

Antico had 6

Melendez had 5  

everyone else was 4 or less.   Antico was the only batter I felt good about making contact consistently.   Ivan did really come through.  our freshmen, unfortunately, struggled.  I think Hodo got screwed on more than a couple called 3rd strikes.  he's got a good eye and I expect his hitting to improve dramatically next year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

in 5 games we had 2 players get 5 or more hits

Antico had 6

Melendez had 5  

everyone else was 4 or less.   Antico was the only batter I felt good about making contact consistently.   Ivan did really come through.  our freshmen, unfortunately, struggled.  I think Hodo got screwed on more than a couple called 3rd strikes.  he's got a good eye and I expect his hitting to improve dramatically next year.

And hopefully Todd can stay healthy. I feel like he could sort of replace Antico. Kennedy-Todd-Hodo would be a salty outfield. 

Also, anyone got the splits on him? He hit mostly lefty this year and was pretty solid. I remember him being overall solid as a right too but it seemed like he hit mostly lefty this year. But yeah I wouldn’t mind him hitting on whatever side is most comfortable to him and just focus on that. He’d be even more deadly if he shortened up on 2 strike counts. Fucker is strong. Let the bat do the work for ya, man. 

Cam had three hits and three RBI’s in five games. I think zubia had equal or even less production. Those guys, along with Melendez, have to produce more. Obviously Melendez did produce in the cws.  Take Mississippi state for example, Jordan and Allen are frequently on base and driving in runs or scoring. Cam and zubia did not to the extent they were needed. Is that pierces fault? I don’t know. I also know that’s how baseball go. 

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

To my surprise, baserunning I think was a big plus for us in Omaha.

It was.  We far surpassed every other CWS team there in that category.

It was the regular season where our baserunning was crazy dumb at times.

Cam has that tough demeanor you want from a player. I think it was Antico during the k-state series where he had a bit of a collision with the catcher and from Cams angle it looked like the catcher was talking shit to Mike. Cam immediately had Antico’s back and ended up getting tossed. That was pretty cool to see Cam have his teammates back like that. He is a damn good ball player and I’m going miss watching him play for Texas if he leaves for the the draft. 

• 2 years later...
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yet have made it to Omaha three years in a row and 2020 was cancelled. Not saying it’s ideal, but can any other coaches say that?  

You must have missed the end of Game 3 at Sunken Diamond last year.  Wish I had.

3 trips to Omaha out of 6 years is why Pierce's job has never been seriously in jeopardy but we've rarely felt Texas good to me during his tenure.  It's odd.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Every time I write Pierce off he pulls some magic out of his ass at the end of the year.  So maybe we'll be in the CWS finals this year.  Shaky pitching and shaky catching does not seem to be a winning formula though.  

• Like 2

1 win in Omaha, don't care about just getting there. Also from the outside looking in, appears he's very controlling and coaches don't want to work for him. Programs have evolved and this guy just says fuck it, I'll coach the hitters, I'll coach the pitchers, I'll do third base. You work at Texas, build the best staff of coaches you can, no one is going to fight you on that. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Too bad there's not a portal or NIL so we could have filled the holes at starting pitcher, closer, and catcher.  

Catcher is really the only position Pierce ignored from the portal. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Dewey said:

1 win in Omaha, don't care about just getting there. Also from the outside looking in, appears he's very controlling and coaches don't want to work for him. Programs have evolved and this guy just says fuck it, I'll coach the hitters, I'll coach the pitchers, I'll do third base. You work at Texas, build the best staff of coaches you can, no one is going to fight you on that. 

Are we also pretending he hasn’t done that? Or did we stop thinking Tulo, Longley are good? 

13 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Not quite. We were a win away from playing for it all in 2021

1 minute ago, MirrOlure said:

Based on the trajectory of getting worse each of the past two seasons and trending that direction so far this year

So we ignore all the rest of his tenure? That doesn’t make sense at all.

Just now, Saint Tacky said:

Making it to Omaha isn’t our standard. Winning in Omaha and bringing home national titles is the threshold. 
Don’t compromise. 

What percentage of time do you think we win it all when we get to Omaha?

There needs to be an expectations reality check along with everything else being discussed. This program deserves high standards but we’ve won 4 titles in the last 50 years. As much as it sounds cool to say winning championships is the standard it very much is not.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

What percentage of time do you think we win it all when we get to Omaha?

I know that the percentage of wins in Omaha and national titles have fallen off the table since pierce took over.
I've seen enough. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve posted this already: 

Making it to Omaha = Great season. Winning the title is just icing on the cake of a great season. 
Super regionals = very good season

Regionals = decent to good season. 

miss the playoffs = lol get fucked you did terrible.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to David Pierce Makes Me Big Sad