2018 ATP/WTA thread

spystud13

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Anyways, looks like Federer is in good position to advance out of the group stage now unless he gets blown out next match 

The group stage tiebreakers are insanely complicated. Copy-pasted from elsewhere:

SCENARIOS FOR TONIGHT:

If Federer wins, Federer is through as 1st, Anderson as 2nd. This is because Federer has the better head-to-head record at this tournament. (1-0, since he will have beat Anderson.) If Anderson wins in 3, Anderson is through at 1st, Federer as 2nd.

If Anderson wins in 2 and Federer FAILS to win 5 games or more (i.e. Federer loses 6-1, 6-1 or 6-2, 6-2 or 6-4, 6-0) then Anderson is through as 1st and Thiem is through as 2nd.

If Anderson wins in 2 and Federer WINS 5 games or more WITHOUT any of the sets going to 7 games (i.e Federer loses 6-2, 6-3 or 6-5, 6-0 or 6-4, 6-4) then Anderson is through as 1st and Federer is through as 2nd.

If Anderson wins in 2 and Federer WINS 5 games or more, BUT one of the sets went to 7 games (i.e. Federer loses 5-7, 0-6) then Anderson is through as 1st and Thiem is through as 2nd. Federer would HAVE to get bageled in one of the sets for this scenario to happen.

The reason for this is because, currently, Thiem has a games won/games lost ratio of 26-30. Meanwhile, Federer currently sits on a ratio of 21-18. If Federer doesn't win 5+ games, that ratio will at best be 25-30 meaning Thiem goes through with a better game win percentage. If Federer wins EXACTLY 5 games (without a set going to 7 games), his games won/games lost will be 26-30, identical to Thiem's. HOWEVER, since Federer ranks higher than Thiem in the world rankings, Federer goes through. And if Federer wins MORE than 5 games he goes through simply because he will have won more games than Thiem.

(The reason it goes to games won % and not head-to-head at the tournament first is because Federer beat Thiem, Thiem beat Kei and Kei beat Federer, and it's a 3-way draw.)

Shame on the organizers. Purposely closed the indoor courts for no spectators to watch the Houston final. Even kicked out members of the tennis club.

Also tried to keep the indoor location a secret but anyone who knows the Houston tennis area scene would have known where the final was being played

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Aleemay said:

Shame on the organizers. Purposely closed the indoor courts for no spectators to watch the Houston final. Even kicked out members of the tennis club.

Also tried to keep the indoor location a secret but anyone who knows the Houston tennis area scene would have known where the final was being played

I’m guessing either the MET or galleria tennis center which is now Lifeway fitness or some shit.  They were apparently very short in ball boys.  They sent out a mass email to just about every tennis player in houston  to see if they could volunteer to be a ballboy. I couldn’t takeoff work so I couldn’t do it otherwise I would have.   The tournament sounded like a mess to begin with 

Edited by perfectchaos007

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I’m guessing either the MET or galleria tennis center which is now Lifeway fitness or some shit.  They were apparently very short in ball boys.  They sent out a mass email to just about every tennis player in houston  to see if they could volunteer to be a ballboy. I couldn’t takeoff work so I couldn’t do it otherwise I would have.   The tournament sounded like a mess to begin with 

Yep it was the Galleria where Rice always plays their indoor matches. While there are some props for this tournament (admission free, Leander Paes and James Blake were also there giving autographs), there were some massive head scratchers:

-Tournament being announced in August. I've almost never have seen a tournament added with such a short turnaround.

-Rice (though the facility is new) was not the first choice. Heard another tennis club declined to host.

-Had a Friday night block 'party' if you could call it that. Just two food trucks and a DJ.

-Oracle is sponsoring a lot of tournaments (NCAA to these pro level ones) to grow American tennis. But they did a pretty poor job promoting it to the public. For the Peng vs. Pegula match, I estimate about 80% of the crowd was Asian with a lot being Rice international graduate students. Peng had huge crowd support.

-To attract more of a crowd, they ran couple UTR double tournaments for the public. I think the Rice varsity players were forced to participate in it. It is not fun watching reluctant NCAA athletes beating up on kids 5-6 years younger than them. Many of the kids weren't even bad, a lot of them had the Super Champ rating.

-The rush to play both finals that Sunday. It's not like Peng, Davis, Kahn, and Smith (still a Baylor athlete, dangerous one to look out this spring) had another tournament to go to in the middle of November.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tonight’s episode was Americans, but it was based on Davis/Fed Cups & Olympics. So that got me thinking, how would you rank our best ten overall, male & female combined? 

McEnroe
Connors
Sampras
Agassi
Courier
Roddick
Ashe

Serena
Venus
Evert
Davenport
King
Capriati

I’m sure I’m forgetting a couple obvious ones. Do you put Martina on there since she defected? What about the Bryan bros? If it was in the ‘20s or some shit, don’t care. 

12 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Tonight’s episode was Americans, but it was based on Davis/Fed Cups & Olympics. So that got me thinking, how would you rank our best ten overall, male & female combined? 

McEnroe
Connors
Sampras
Agassi
Courier
Roddick
Ashe

Serena
Venus
Evert
Davenport
King
Capriati

I’m sure I’m forgetting a couple obvious ones. Do you put Martina on there since she defected? What about the Bryan bros? If it was in the ‘20s or some shit, don’t care. 

Sampras has to be at the top I think. Six consecutive years as the World No. 1 puts him in a class of his own. Don Budge also absolutely dominated the late 1930s, he twice beat the Nazis' poster-boy of Aryan supremacy Gottfied von Cramm to win Wimbledon and the U.S. Open in 1938.

Edited by satyanash