2nd Round: Raptors vs. Sixers

BigOrange1

2nd Round: Sixers vs. Raptors  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

• Raptors
    • 76ers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/27/19 at 11:45 PM

I seem to recall that when everyone here was doing their "top 10 players in the NBA" lists last fall that I was just about the only one with Kawhi in my top 5. I'm not normally one to pat myself on the back for totally nailing it when it comes to sports talk, buuuutttttt....

13 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I seem to recall that when everyone here was doing their "top 10 players in the NBA" lists last fall that I was just about the only one with Kawhi in my top 5. I'm not normally one to pat myself on the back for totally nailing it when it comes to sports talk, buuuutttttt....

Everyone had Kawhi in their Top 3 the year before that. It was a wait and see thing with the injury and the Uncle. No one doubts his talent when he's 100% healthy and focused.

• Like 1

The end-of-quarter play was horribad for Toronto there. Early bricked 3 from Toronto allows the Sixers to get a last possession in, which Simmons turns into an and-one two-pointer. Then Ibaka fouls fighting for a rebound on the missed FT, which Embiid turns into two more points.

Handed them 4 points for no good reason.

12 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Everyone had Kawhi in their Top 3 the year before that. It was a wait and see thing with the injury and the Uncle. No one doubts his talent when he's 100% healthy and focused.

yeah that's an explanation of what happened, but it doesn't really change anything. i mean what did y'all think, that kawhi leonard forgot how to play basketball? that just because you hadn't seen him in a while he suddenly was trash? i never bought into the idea that an all-nba player/mvp candidate in his absolute prime was going to suddenly fall off a cliff because he took some time off one year like pretty much everyone else did. all of a sudden everyone remembers who he is. i'm just saying.

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

yeah that's an explanation of what happened, but it doesn't really change anything. i mean what did y'all think, that kawhi leonard forgot how to play basketball? that just because you hadn't seen him in a while he suddenly was trash? i never bought into the idea that an all-nba player/mvp candidate in his absolute prime was going to suddenly fall off a cliff because he took some time off one year like pretty much everyone else did. all of a sudden everyone remembers who he is. i'm just saying.

There were concerns that it was a long-term degenerative condition. Nobody forgot who he was or how good he is. 

Also fuck Kawhi Leonard.

Just now, BradInATX said:

There were concerns that it was a long-term degenerative condition. Nobody forgot who he was or how good he is. 

Also fuck Kawhi Leonard.

There really weren't. He disagreed with the way the Spurs wanted to handle his injury so he sat out. Let's not act like this was some Alex Smith situation. Toronto knee they weren't acquiring damaged goods, otherwise they wouldn't have acquired him. People simply dropped him because he hadn't played. There was never any doubt that he was still Kawhi: 

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

There really weren't. He disagreed with the way the Spurs wanted to handle his injury so he sat out. Let's not act like this was some Alex Smith situation. Toronto knee they weren't acquiring damaged goods, otherwise they wouldn't have acquired him. People simply dropped him because he hadn't played. There was never any doubt that he was still Kawhi: 

Man I'm not getting into a debate with you because I've seen how tedious trying to discuss anything with you has been for other posters.

I'm a Spurs fan. I know more than you about this. There were absolutely concerns that it was a degenerative condition. You are wrong.

Edited by BradInATX

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

Ok. And I'm saying that the top 7ish players in the league are really freaking good and really tightly packed. So a lingering injury and questionable commitment to a team he didn't choose is a perfectly reasonable explanation for temporarily bumping him down behind players like Giannis, Steph, and Harden.

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Ok. And I'm saying that the top 7ish players in the league are really freaking good and really tightly packed. So a lingering injury and questionable commitment to a team he didn't choose is a perfectly reasonable explanation for temporarily bumping him down behind players like Giannis, Steph, and Harden.

Of course it is.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Man I'm not getting into a debate with you because I've seen how tedious trying to discuss anything with you has been for other posters.

This is a bullshit copout that gets repeated ad nauseam. Any adult here is perfectly capable of discussing anything with me. Don't use that preemptive excuse when I haven't done or said anything to earn it. It's insulting, especially when I've been posting on this board with no more problems than the next guy since this site's inception. Also, only one of us has been condescending to the other. Hop off your high horse and converse like an adult.

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

This is a bullshit copout that gets repeated ad nauseam. Any adult here is perfectly capable of discussing anything with me. Don't use that preemptive excuse when I haven't done or said anything to earn it. It's insulting, especially when I've been posting on this board with no more problems than the next guy since this site's inception. Also, only one of us has been condescending to the other. Hop off your high horse and converse like an adult.

You're probably right about me being condescending. My apologies.

But your reputation does precede you. That's nobody's fault but yours.

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Again, Toronto wasn't going to trade DeMar DeRozan for a player who had *any* chance of having degenerative condition. Basic common sense said that he was absolutely fine, but that he didn't agree with SA's plan of treatment. We had people here ranking guys like Kyrie ahead of Kawhi. We're talking about basketball players here. If guys are healthy then they play to the back of the basketball card until their early-mid 30's. There was no chance that a healthy Kawhi wasn't a top 5 player. You can explain it away all you want,  but the point i'm making remains: the doubts about Kawhi were unfounded, and around here they were largely the hopes/wishes of bitter spurs fans. That's my opinion anyway. 

Edited by Goo Punch

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

That's also not true. I have undeniably changed *dramatically* over the years. Anyone who's still holding my behavior from 2009 or 2010 against me has themselves to blame for not being able to converse with me without blowing a gasket or announcing that they are above discussing anything with me. 

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Again, Toronto wasn't going to trade DeMar DeRozan for a player who had *any* chance of having degenerative condition. Basic common sense said that he was absolutely fine, but that he didn't agree with SA's plan of treatment. We had people here ranking guys like Kyrie ahead of Kawhi. We're talking about basketball players here. If guys are healthy then they play to the back of the basketball card until their early-mid 30's. There was no chance that a healthy Kawhi wasn't a top 5 player. You can explain it away all you want,  but the point i'm making remains: the doubts about Kawhi were unfounded, and around here they were largely the hopes/wishes of bitter spurs fans. 

So you'd have put Penny Hardaway in your top 5 for 1999? We're talking about basketball players here right? Injuries don't matter, sort of seems to be the argument you're making.

Edited by BradInATX

10 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

And it's nobody's fault but yours for not having Derka on Ignore. 

Not having to wade through his solipsistic drivel makes threads like these readable.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

So you'd have put Penny Hardaway in your top 5 for 1999? We're talking about basketball players here right? Injuries don't matter, sort of seems to be the argument you're making.

I've explicitly stated that he clearly was not injured. but yeah, "injuries don't matter", that's what I said.

and to think that like two minutes ago you thought you were above conversing with me. jesus. 

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This game is why you bring Jimmy Butler to Philadelphia.

Philly sacrificed all of their role players (Saric, Covington, Bellinelli, Ilyasova, Shamet, etc) for a great starting lineup, and tonight that starting lineup came through. 

Gonna avoid ESPN for at least 24 hours after this game, I expect they'll devote 60 percent of their airtime to whether Ben Simmons should be suspended, jailed or deported for the slight elbow to Lowry's nuts after Lowry spilled him on the baseline

Philly sacrificed all of their role players (Saric, Covington, Bellinelli, Ilyasova, Shamet, etc) for a great starting lineup, and tonight that starting lineup came through. 
It's working again tonight, too.

I think PHI is going to win the East because they have the best starting 5... Hell, I got on tonight to post on the Rockets thread that PHI had a better sharing 5 than the Rockets. Think about it...

Harden
Embiid
Butler
Simmons
CP3
Capella
Tucker / Gordon / Harris
Reddick

PHI (especially Embiid) just has to stay healthy and they should win the East.