2019 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Rebuild or Run it Back?

Patrick Bateman

53 minutes ago, XYZ said:

That article about food and wine says that Pop makes $11 million, and I just about fell out of my chair. How much is the average NBA head coach salary?

Pop is the highest-paid NBA coach by quite a big margin, I think.

Was listening to the Hard Line discussing NBA and the Spurs in particular. They seem to think LMA is a free agent this summer. That's not true is it?

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Pop is the highest-paid NBA coach by quite a big margin, I think.

Was listening to the Hard Line discussing NBA and the Spurs in particular. They seem to think LMA is a free agent this summer. That's not true is it?

No.  Has this year and then the next and the second is a partial guarantee.

The Danny Green who took offense to being dealt to Toronto and used that as motivation to work on his game and regain his shot? Or the Danny Green who coasted in SA the previous three seasons and saw his shooting percentages drop to career lows?

Sorry, but I dislike him almost as much as Kawhi.

Between the nephew's malingering, Danny and Patty's extended slumps, Pau's grossly overpaid uselessness, and even LMA's sulking in 2015-16, there's been way too much dead weight with this team recently. The secret to the Spurs Culture--what made it really work--is that Tim, Tony, and Manu always worked on their games and never got complacent.

Kawhi should've been the heir apparent--he's undoubtedly a gym rat who worked immensely hard to become an all-around great--but he's also a petty, lying, primadonna bitch.

And now that I've got that out of my system, I feel much better.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

The Danny Green who took offense to being dealt to Toronto and used that as motivation to work on his game and regain his shot? Or the Danny Green who coasted in SA the previous three seasons and saw his shooting percentages drop to career lows?

Between the nephew's malingering, Danny and Patty's extended slumps, Pau's grossly overpaid uselessness, and even LMA's sulking in 2015-16, there's been way too much dead weight with this team recently. The secret to the Spurs Culture--what made it really work--is that Tim, Tony, and Manu always worked on their games and never got complacent.

Kawhi should've been the heir apparent--he's undoubtedly a gym rat who worked immensely hard to become an all-around great--but he's also a petty, lying, primadonna bitch.

It was David and then Tim..... Those guys made everything work.  Everything, including Pop to develop his system, culture, and rep.  If Tim didn't respond to Pop, he would have been a footnote.

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It was David and then Tim..... Those guys made everything work.  Everything, including Pop to develop his system, culture, and rep.  If Tim didn't respond to Pop, he would have been a footnote.

David was a consummate pro. His omission wasn't intended as a slight, just focused on more recent history.

Yea that's a gamble on his part.  It's not like college coaching where a couple solid years at a mid major can lead to a high paying P5 gig.  If he doesn't perform there it will set his career back at best, kill it at worst. If it's me I'd ask for a shit load of money so when he inevitably gets fired in 2 seasons at least he has some cash. If they say no, the he's still #3 on the Spurs bench.

29 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Why? Some jobs just aren’t worth it.

Lebron comes home..... again?  Just interviewing so it's smart to sharpen skills and make good impressions on those in power who may pass on positive feelings.  If he decides not to go he can blame it on money or power.

On 5/3/2019 at 7:18 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

Fucking preach. 

11 hours ago, Hate said:

What a piece of shit...I hope he blows out both Achilles. It was so difficult sitting out 73 games pouring like a bitch? I hope your uncle gets ass cancer.

I was kind of drunk last night when I posted this, so I feel kind of bad.  I don't wish cancer on anyone, including that piece of shit uncle of his.  So I would like to humbly retract my wish and instead hope that he gets ass aids.

Kawhi pisses me off everytime I see him, but damnit, that was an epic buzzer shot in a game 7. I want to not be a bitter sonofabish, but watching that guy the whole game stung in the heart and the butt area. 

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I'm simply hopeful that every bucket and win keeps him closer to re-signing with the Toronto.  Let them lose in a 7 game series to the Bucks and have him stay beyond the wall as he thinks he's close.

Yep, hope they do just good enough to make him resign for the full 4 (5?) years.  Keep him in the east as far from where he wanted to go.

Or he can sign elsewhere and alienate two fanbases.  Although I'd laugh my ass off if he signs a Max contract then fakes another injury .  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Oomph.... I like Messina but he's not the future.  Have to wonder if he'll ever get a HC job or just go back to Europe.  Having Messina as the lead may have convinced Ime to move along.  Becky moves up to #2.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Yea, I was never sure how a pure Euro coach would do in the US.  Seems like he's been interviewed every summer for 5 years and nothing every same of it. 

Also looks like lamarcus is playing for the national team this summer.  They'll probably lose because I'm guessing guys like LeBron and KD are skipping it.  

29 minutes ago, F250 said:

Glad to hear that Tony Parker is moving back to San Antonio for retirement. He is from France but he will always be puro San Antonio.

Tony buying a yacht and part ownership in French Alps Ski Resort... Will be travel too 😀

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Check-out-former-Spur-Tony-Parker-s-new-luxury-13450019.php

https://www.thelocal.fr/20190401/basketball-star-tony-parker-to-buy-french-ski-resort 

(Parker is now married to French journalist Axelle Francine and they have two sons.)

Edited by LTtxfan