2019 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Rebuild or Run it Back?

Patrick Bateman

I don't understand this.  This kid can play.  I understand he had a rep coming out of being a bit lazy and volatile but from everything I've read, he's minded his P's and Q's and worked really hard.  Now maybe there are undercurrents I'm unaware of like he's a hothead or has drug issues, but if not, I'd snap this kid up right now.  He's skinny but very gifted offensively.

Not sure how reliable this guy is but it'll be interesting to see if anything comes of it. Detroit has absolutely nobody I want. Bulls have a few nice players but I don't know how salaries would match up and I can't imagine they'd give up Wendell Carter who would be my first pick from them. Orlando has a few interesting players 

Edited by angelfacedmongoloid

13 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Why is Jarrett playing in the summer league? Didnt he start like 80 games last year?

Wrong thread but no fucking idea. Seems like a dumb injury waiting to happen. 

(Looks like you were responding to Bateman - thought you just brought that up randomly)

20 minutes ago, angelfacedmongoloid said:

Not sure how reliable this guy is but it'll be interesting to see if anything comes of it. Detroit has absolutely nobody I want. Bulls have a few nice players but I don't know how salaries would match up and I can't imagine they'd give up Wendell Carter who would be my first pick from them. Orlando has a few interesting players 

I'm confused at all of the DeRozan trade talk. Are we actively trying to move him to retool? Has he expressed something to the FO about not wanting to play here? 

I thought he had a really nice season last year.

Edited by ztejas

Not sure, and after looking at his page for a minute, this guy only has 21 tweets in 2 years of having a profile. And only started tweeting July 4th so he's probably full of shit. He did have this though:

So if he's right, we aren't actively shopping him but I guess it would make sense to listen what offers are out there if they don't want to spend too much re-signing him. I can't imagine anything comes of it unless we get a really good offer, especially after re-signing Rudy Gay and signing Carroll. I can't imagine any of those 3 teams mentioned giving up many young assets or draft picks unless Orlando is going all in on a 2nd round playoff exit.

1 hour ago, angelfacedmongoloid said:

Not sure, and after looking at his page for a minute, this guy only has 21 tweets in 2 years of having a profile. And only started tweeting July 4th so he's probably full of shit. He did have this though:

So if he's right, we aren't actively shopping him but I guess it would make sense to listen what offers are out there if they don't want to spend too much re-signing him. I can't imagine anything comes of it unless we get a really good offer, especially after re-signing Rudy Gay and signing Carroll. I can't imagine any of those 3 teams mentioned giving up many young assets or draft picks unless Orlando is going all in on a 2nd round playoff exit.

He's not really reputable (as he's not prolific enough) although he did have Morris to the Knicks right.

And the speculation isn't just him.  If we have no intention extending him, we really should consider trading him.  We're not real contenders as currently constructed and although getting cap relief is an asset if we let him walk next summer, getting max value for him would be best if he's not in our L-T plans.  Depends on how we feel about Lonnie really, but DeMar had his worst season in the last 4 years despite shooting his best % overall.  He was dreadful from 3 and at age 30, it doesn't appear he'll ever take the steps to get one.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

And the speculation isn't just him.  If we have no intention extending him, we really should consider trading him.  We're not real contenders as currently constructed and although getting cap relief is an asset if we let him walk next summer, getting max value for him would be best if he's not in our L-T plans.  Depends on how we feel about Lonnie really, but DeMar had his worst season in the last 4 years despite shooting his best % overall.  He was dreadful from 3 and at age 30, it doesn't appear he'll ever take the steps to get one.

If they are true believers in LWIV, you've got to get that kid onto the court and Derozen is a bigtime minute eater upper at the 2. They also need backcourt minutes for White, who ostensibly plays the 2 as well (especially when Murray gets back). Derozen, despite his flaws averaged 21, 6 and 6 last year shooting 48% from the field. We decry his playoff disappearing act and inability to shoot from three, but the motherfucker can fill up a box score. We certainly don't with 47 without him last year and make the playoffs. He is still an all-star level player (in the East at least) pretty much at the peak of his career. His value is probably as high as it is ever going to be right now.

I just don't see how he is part of their long term plans but the front office has always put a huge value on vets who are good character guys who produce and he definitely checks all of those boxes. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they had him opt out and they gave him less money but over more years. They did it with both Richard Jefferson and Pau Gasol, but both of those guys were pretty much toast at that point of their careers. 

I'm not sure exactly how Derozen sees himself at this stage of his career. The Toronto thing has got to sting. He was the only guy in the history of that franchise who ever showed any loyalty and he was promptly rewarded by getting shipped out. Then he got the pleasure of watching Kawhi accomplish everything thing that he couldn't, topped off by the nephew giving Toronto the middle finger out the door on his way to LA. I have no idea how Derozen is wired but I could see him want to go ring chasing at home in LA with Lebron and AD. That would be a pretty solid revenge tour for him - get a ring, show up the guy across town, and watch Toronto go through a rebuild from afar. Too bad the Lakers don't have any assets to give up for the next decade.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

If they are true believers in LWIV, you've got to get that kid onto the court and Derozen is a bigtime minute eater upper at the 2. They also need backcourt minutes for White, who ostensibly plays the 2 as well (especially when Murray gets back). Derozen, despite his flaws averaged 21, 6 and 6 last year shooting 48% from the field. We decry his playoff disappearing act and inability to shoot from three, but the motherfucker can fill up a box score. We certainly don't with 47 without him last year and make the playoffs. He is still an all-star level player (in the East at least) pretty much at the peak of his career. His value is probably as high as it is ever going to be right now.

I just don't see how he is part of their long term plans but the front office has always put a huge value on vets who are good character guys who produce and he definitely checks all of those boxes. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they had him opt out and they gave him less money but over more years. They did it with both Richard Jefferson and Pau Gasol, but both of those guys were pretty much toast at that point of their careers. 

I'm not sure exactly how Derozen sees himself at this stage of his career. The Toronto thing has got to sting. He was the only guy in the history of that franchise who ever showed any loyalty and he was promptly rewarded by getting shipped out. Then he got the pleasure of watching Kawhi accomplish everything thing that he couldn't, topped off by the nephew giving Toronto the middle finger out the door on his way to LA. I have no idea how Derozen is wired but I could see him want to go ring chasing at home in LA with Lebron and AD. That would be a pretty solid revenge tour for him - get a ring, show up the guy across town, and watch Toronto go through a rebuild from afar. Too bad the Lakers don't have any assets to give up for the next decade.

Yeah. It's a tough dilemma. If we trade Demar we're probably going to get worse, and it would  likely put our playoff chances in jeopardy. But at the same time, we're not going further than the first round most likely anyway. So what do you do? Do you waste Pop's last year or two? I guess it depends on your definition of "waste", but I get much more enjoyment out  of watching regular season games when I know we'll at least go to the playoffs. 

My vote would be to roll with what we have for this year, unless we can get some sort of ridiculous deal for DeMar. I'm sort of a doomsdayer that believes that once Pop leaves we're totally screwed in the sense that we'll be a small market team with no real draw to free agents and starting anew coaching wise. Think New Orleans, but probably with less local/city appeal to NBA players than NOLA. So we might as well squeeze a couple of playoff seasons out of what's left. But I'm not in the front office.

Edited by BradInATX

This season is going to be super weird and the end result is probably going to suck. More than likely we're getting a championship to Kawhi, the (fuck the) Lakers, or Harden/D'Antoni. Which are probably the three worst case scenarios. 

I am going to be rooting my ass off for the Warriors if they can get it together and get Klay back healthy. A healthy, surging Warriors squad might be our best firewall against the above. 

d2uyen7yq69z.gif

Go Bucks, Jazz, Nuggets, and 6ers too I guess, although a couple of those teams probably have about as good a shot at a title as the Spurs do, which is zero.

Edited by BradInATX

51 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

The Mavs definitely discombobulated the Spurs that series but it probably ends in 5 games if they don't let Vince Carter take 4 steps before firing that three. I don't think the Spurs ever felt threatened until game 7, and then they blew the doors off of them.

27 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

This season is going to be super weird and the end result is probably going to suck. More than likely we're getting a championship to Kawhi, the (fuck the) Lakers, or Harden/D'Antoni. Which are probably the three worst case scenarios. 

I am going to be rooting my ass off for the Warriors if they can get it together and get Klay back healthy. A healthy, surging Warriors squad might be our best firewall against the above. 

d2uyen7yq69z.gif

Go Bucks, Jazz, Nuggets, and 6ers too I guess, although a couple of those teams probably have about as good a shot at a title as the Spurs do, which is zero.

Eh. I'm not sold on the Lakers or Rockets yet. And I think whoever makes it out of the East will be a very tough out - whether that's Giannis and the Bucks or Philly or a late-blooming darkhorse (*cough* Indy *cough*).

23 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The Mavs definitely discombobulated the Spurs that series but it probably ends in 5 games if they don't let Vince Carter take 4 steps before firing that three. I don't think the Spurs ever felt threatened until game 7, and then they blew the doors off of them.

Carlisle did a better job the year they won the title, yes?

Another reason to hate the whole Morris fiasco.  By facilitating a S&T for Carroll, it hard capped us.... again.  It's not a huge issue right now, but it compromises flexibility throughout the season if a great trade may present itself which meant taking on a little short-term bad money.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

LOL.  What a bunch of bullshit.  The Knicks think the Spurs did something over the line in respect to Porzingis.  Now, they can't say what or when or who or how, but they did something.  smh.  Or maybe you made a snake move to an idiot negotiator (Morris) at the last minute and want to feel better about your treachery.  Yea, the Spurs should have had shit more locked up but don't go around insinuating you were wronged unless you're ready to name names or at the least say how you were wronged.  What a bunch of pussies.  Otherwise, Marcus Morris is a fucking idiot.  He's the one who turned down the 41 million from the Clippers, not Rich Paul and it seems Paul wanted him to stay with the Spurs and Morris made the decision to break his word.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

From The Athletic:

The news: After a little more than 15 years serving as GM, Buford is getting prepared to bequeath the role to assistant GM Brian Wright, league sources have confirmed to The Athletic. Wright will report directly to Buford, who will officially get a new title that some around the NBA believe will be a role helping to oversee Spurs Sports & Entertainment.

Here's a better article.  Surprised they didn't try and get someone on the family tree to come back but they must like Wright.  Besides the Spurs, he hasn't exactly been around winning situations.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2019/7/19/20701583/report-rc-buford-may-be-promoted-so-the-spurs-can-name-a-new-gm

My parents came up to see the grandkids this week and brought a trunk full of some shit including old photos of mine from college and post-grad trip to Europe and a bunch of old sports memorabilia. Some fun Spurs stuff here:

e2bcc3c1cc178df79e6b931bc666f387.jpg

• Like 2