2019 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Rebuild or Run it Back?

Patrick Bateman

I'm just relieved the Spurs drafted a wing with defensive prowess. Wish they could've snagged Little at 19, but Johnson was projected to be drafted way before 29 so he's a good value and has some upside he was a decent 3 point shooter.

2 minutes ago, Chad said:

I'm just relieved the Spurs drafted a wing with defensive prowess. Wish they could've snagged Little at 19, but Johnson was projected to be drafted way before 29 so he's a good value and has some upside he was a decent 3 point shooter.

Just get him with the Spurs Shot Doctor.... 

Dr. Chip

https://grantland.com/features/the-shot-doctor/

Solid first round for us I think. Samanic seems to have good mobility for his size and seems like he could be a good passer. His shot looks like it can use some work and he needs to get stronger. I think Johnson will fit well with our current guards and seems to put good effort into defense. It's going to be fun to see these guys develop into their roles

44 minutes ago, Chad said:

That is a return to our roots and Johnson is a nice prospect but I would have rather have made a bigger upside pick in one of the big men -- Claxton or Fernando, who I think we need even more as LMA is 34.  Johnson has a nice floor but a lower ceiling and if we had our star, then I think this would be a solid pick to fill out a rotation, but we don't have a star so I'd prefer to try and grab upside potential that late in the draft rather than a probably rotational guy.  He has a great attitude so I'll root for Johnson (and Luke) but as I thought, the big men went right away.  We really don't have any size other than Jakob's ladder and LMA. Also, there's no room in the rotation for Johnson so he'll be spending lots and lots of time in Austin just to get minutes.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

So with Weatherspoon in the fold, another combo/undersized wing (has big wingspan) who's arc is very similar to Derrick White, it really re-enforces my thoughts that we should have gone big at 29.  That may end up defining the draft for us, especially if one of those guys ends up a starting big in the league.  I understand the league is going to a more perimeter oriented game, but it seems we're allergic to long athletic bigs who can explode off the floor.  

Couple of post-draft notes/thoughts:

RC confirmed Luka is expected to come over and be on the team next year, including summer league in a month.  This wasn't a stash pick.

With all the guards/wings, it feels like someone is going to get traded.  We have 14 contracts (with Gay and the 2 first rounders included) headed into free agency which is a lot for anyone.

We still need another big.  If Luka is ready to provide some combo/stretch forward minutes, then it gets a little easier but if not we'll be very light and small again.  Also, if Jakob or LMA go down we'll be down to 1 traditional big with any experience and then Metu, who is still working to fill out.

Luka compares himself to KD as a comp (yea right) but says AK47 maybe historically (not as long).

RC said they had Johnson rated as the top guy at his position.  Hmmm....

Wrap it up with this:

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

We still need another big.  If Luka is ready to provide some combo/stretch forward minutes, then it gets a little easier but if not we'll be very light and small again.  Also, if Jakob or LMA go down we'll be down to 1 traditional big with any experience and then Metu, who is still working to fill out.

It's all but a certainty that the Spurs will use their MLE on a veteran big and there could be a trade as well with the logjam at the guard position. The Spurs desperately needed a true wing after last season, Keldon Johnson is the type of player Pop will love. He's a hard worker, a pest on defense and can efficiently knock down some 3s. I fully understand where you're coming from about the Spurs needing a big, but the word is Luka isn't a draft and stash so he'll be on the roster for 2019-2020 and with the MLE used on a big the Spurs should be good for the time being.

This  offers reassurance on Keldon.

Edited by Chad

This is what the roster looks like post draft:

G (7) - Murray, White, Walker, Derozen, Mills, Forbes, Belineli

F (4) - Gay, Bertans, Samanic, Johnson

Post (3) - Aldridge, Poetl, Metu

So crowded in the backcourt, so thin up front, so young overall really for the first time since the Larry Brown era. They are almost certainly going to have to move somebody out of that backcourt. Belineli seems like the most obvious to go, but he's got $6 million guaranteed. They will have 14 players under contract and the only real bigs they can rely on are Aldridge and Poetl. I can't imagine them not adding a veteran front court player in some capacity using the MLE. The guys who are out there would seem out of their budget considering that there are quite a few teams with cap to work with: Mirotic, Morris twin du jour, Thaddeus Young, Al-Farouq Aminu, Julius Randle. I don't see any of them coming.

With regard to the draft.... 

I think they jumped a little too early on Samanic, but they have such a good track record with these late first round picks and such a strong developmental program that it's difficult to criticize them. After a little more review, Samanic is a much better athlete than I originally thought. 6' 11" with a 38" vertical along with really good agility and speed testing numbers is nothing to sneeze at. At only 19 years old, he's going to get bigger and stronger. They will work to get the kinks out of his jumper. He competes on defense and is long enough and athletic enough to not get completely abused by smaller players on switches. He's going to get bullied in the paint but that should get better as he ages and adds strength. And really, nobody in this league plays on the block anymore anyway. My biggest question is his work ethic. I just don't get the "first guy in the gym and last one to leave" vibe from him. I get more of a Beno Udrih "how many tacos can I eat and how many Mexican girls can I plow" vibe. Hopefully he buys into the culture - Spurs culture, that is.

Keldon Johnson seems like a really good value pick. With regard to his being the top player on their board at his position, I would love to know what other players they had at the same position. Assuming Johnson is a 3, is Cam Reddish a 4? Is DeAndre Hunter a 4? Is Romeo Langford a 2? Nassir Little? I can't believe they had him rated higher than all of those guys but he seems like a solid defender who can eventually shoot a good clip from 3.

As much as I'd like them to trade Derozen, I don't see them making any big moves between now and the beginning of the season. Break up the backcourt logjam, find another big, maybe sign some under the radar guy who has been toiling in Europe or the G-league, don't screw up the cap, develop the young guys, win 45-50 games, and get bounced in the first or second round.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen

Spurs aren't done changing this roster for the 2019-20 season.... need another big and probably a wing player too.

Wonder if Marco might end up back in Philly (Simmons needs shooters) or maybe with the Warriors or Raptors... isn't Marco's expiring contract valuable to teams that need more cap room for 2020-21 season??

Just a note.  Unless Luka grew in the last few months (possible with a 19 year old), he's 6'9" without shoes.  He may be listed at 6'11" but that's probably giving him an inch or two.  Also his wingspan is actually shorter than his height so he's not that long.  Not a huge deal, but most scouts don't think he'll offer any rim protection or much defensive presence although defense is largely effort, studying, and spatial reasoning so he can still be a good defensive player if he takes it seriously.  I think I would have taken Little at 19 and hope Luka fell to 29.  There's some thought Boston or Philly may have taken Luka at 20 so what do I know, but I think I would have taken the risk.  If Luka gets sniped, then I would have pivoted to one of the big guys at 29.  Don't want that to sound like I'm not excited for Luka's future, but I think Little's ceiling may be higher.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I think I would have taken Little at 19 and hope Luka fell to 29.  There's some thought Boston or Philly may have taken Luka at 20 so what do I know, but I think I would have taken the risk.  If Luka gets sniped, then I would have pivoted to one of the big guys at 29.  Don't want that to sound like I'm not excited for Luka's future, but I think Little's ceiling may be higher.

1) So why did Little fall all the way to Portland at #25?

2) Did Spurs really want Goga Bitadze who went at #18 one pick earlier??

Btw, Here's a Luka video...

Edited by LTtxfan

I remember thinking after they won in 99 that nothing else mattered as far as the Spurs goes.  They could return to being "irrelevant" and it wouldn't matter because they finally were champions. I never imagined that the 20 years that have followed would have gone the way they have.  Go Spurs Go!

3 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Also Avery had a pretty good jump shot.

This is a Jayhawk level terrible take. Granted, he hit the absolute most important one that he ever took, but he was an abortion of jump shooter. He might have been the worst jump shooting point guard that I can ever remember in the NBA, and almost certainly the worst shooting starting point guard on an NBA champion. He was so bad that teams just refused to guard him outside of about 15 feet. They went under every screen. They never rotated toward him. I get PTSD even watching replays of him rise up for that odd angled left handed garbage push shot. When he took that baseline jumper against the Knicks, I shouted "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!" at the top of my lungs. Even when I watch the replay of it, I still expect him to miss it.