The Rockets officially taking on the referees

Goo Punch

For those of us like me who are mostly out of the loop (i know nothing outside of a couple of espn/thescore notifications about this happening), can someone fill us in on what exactly the Rockets and their people claim to have uncovered? All I've seen to this point are allegations that the NBA referees have a pro-warriors agenda, and that the Rockets supposedly have proof that the same thing was going on last year.

Last year the officials' bad calls gave the Warriors at 93 point advantage over the course of the WCF's. In game 1, the bad calls continued which contributed in the Rockets loss. The NBA has long been awful in their defense of shitty officiating. Then the NBA releases their final 2 minutes report that indicates that Curry should have fouled out before he made the 3 pointer to give them a 5 point lead.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

For those of us like me who are mostly out of the loop (i know nothing outside of a couple of espn/thescore notifications about this happening), can someone fill us in on what exactly the Rockets and their people claim to have uncovered? All I've seen to this point are allegations that the NBA referees have a pro-warriors agenda, and that the Rockets supposedly have proof that the same thing was going on last year.

The Rockets received a de facto full game version of the last 2-minute report regarding last year's game 7 against Golden State.  They reviewed and attached point values to all the missed/dubious calls and concluded that the totality of the calls cost them 18.6 points.

NBA replies that they consider Houston's process of attaching point values to the calls bullshit (in so many words).  Bitching by all teams and fans about calls against their team will continue as expected.

• Like 2

Just now, Captain Obvious said:

The Rockets received a de facto full game version of the last 2-minute report regarding last year's game 7 against Golden State.  They reviewed and attached point values to all the missed/dubious calls and concluded that the totality of the calls cost them 18.6 points.

NBA replies that they consider Houston's process of attaching point values to the calls bullshit (in so many words).  Bitching by all teams and fans about calls against their team will continue as expected.

Did the refs cause Houston to also miss 27 straight 3s?

43 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

They've uncovered evidence that the best teams and best players get a disproportionate percentage of calls in their favor.

HOLY SHIT ALERT THE MEDIA

Nonsense. Everyone knows the best science happens when you start with a desired result and look for data that proves your point.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea guys the refs only stole the mavs title vs the heat in 2006 and that was obvious! Anything else is aggy bitching! 

Y'all are equating a game in which you shot more free throws than Golden State to the final two games of the 2007 series in which the entire Maverick team shot exactly 2 more free throws than Dwayne Wade.  Ok.

P.S. I'm rooting for y'all but gimme a break.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Y'all are equating a game in which you shot more free throws than Golden State to the final two games of the 2007 series in which the entire Maverick team shot exactly 2 more free throws than Dwayne Wade.  Ok.

If the other team can't guard you without fouling, you are going to shoot FT's. Yet, the guy who shot the most FTs also is the guy with the fade away mid-range jump shot.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Nonsense. Everyone knows the best science happens when you start with a desired result and look for data that proves your point.

I don't take most of these folks to be familiar with scientific principles

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

If the other team can't guard you without fouling, you are going to shoot FT's. Yet, the guy who shot the most FTs also is the guy with the fade away mid-range jump shot.

falling down on yourself after flailing like a prod went up your ass isn't a foul.

Harden thinks it should be.

It's a gotdam disgrace.

Edited by slorch

1 minute ago, Telegraph_it said:

Great take. Must mean he is completely fair game then. Fuck calling games consistently. 

agreed.

Consistently stop calling that bullshit that is not a foul.

It should never have started being called for Harden, Curry, et al.

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

agreed.

Well that is where we are at. Why did it change last night? 

And yes. Rockets should gave adjusted because it was clear by halftime it was not going to be called like it had been all season. 

Just now, slorch said:

agreed.

That is the issue. This is called constantly for Harden and others in the regular season. Fans and those players get used to it. Come playoff time, the refs call it differently. It should have never gotten to this point. This looking for fouls and not actually playing the game is making for some ugly ass basketball that doesn't even resemble the game. Kicking your leg out like that is dangerous. It's one thing to draw a defender in the air and come up and draw the foul. That's in the spirit of the game. Not kicking your leg out after a jump shot trying to draw a foul when the defender isn't close to you. Fuck that shit.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I am sure we all remember the Rockets fans responses to Mavs fans in 2006.

It's interesting to see the shoe on the other foot while they try to rationalize their reaction now.

I figure it is due to the fact most Houston fans hang around aggy so much during sporting events. Some of them can't help but take on the aggy persona.

Human error is part of basketball because the refs make mistakes. It was true in 2006 and true now. Making such a huge fuss over it is just poor sportsmanship.

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

That is the issue. This is called constantly for Harden and others in the regular season. Fans and those players get used to it. Come playoff time, the refs call it differently. It should have never gotten to this point. This looking for fouls and not actually playing the game is making for some ugly ass basketball that doesn't even resemble the game. Kicking your leg out like that is dangerous. It's one thing to draw a defender in the air and come up and draw the foul. That's in the spirit of the game. Not kicking your leg out after a jump shot trying to draw a foul when the defender isn't close to you. Fuck that shit.

This. Harden is the biggest recipient in the NBA for phantom calls. He makes it part of his game. The fact that he isn’t getting a couple of calls now is hilarious. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Can someone give Derka an executive summary? He doesn't have time to read the series thread.

Yeah it's not like anybody has been discussing this on another thread. But hey we don't want to deny Derka his own thread about it. 

Look at me! Look at me! Look at me!!!!

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

There I go, making it all about me again. You guys who complain about this shit are the worst. It's a big story that deserves its own thread, and i have no interest in diving into some 100 page thread that covers all kinds of different topics trying to find out what's going on with this one. you guys have seriously got to stop making threads all about me only to then complain how it's all about me. jesus. 

• Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

There I go, making it all about me again. You guys who complain about this shit are the worst. It's a big story that deserves its own thread, and i have no interest in diving into some 100 page thread that covers all kinds of different topics trying to find out what's going on with this one. you guys have seriously got to stop making threads all about me only to then complain how it's all about me. jesus. 

Dude I never talk shit to you but this one is dumb. They have already polluted the series thread so just let the discussion exist there. You know how this place gets in the playoffs. This thread just adds to it

14 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Dude I never talk shit to you but this one is dumb. They have already polluted the series thread so just let the discussion exist there. You know how this place gets in the playoffs. This thread just adds to it

I'm getting notifications on my phone that an NBA team which is actively competing in the playoffs is straight up accusing the league officials of collusion/corruption, claiming they have evidence, and I want to know more about it without having to dive into a dedicated team thread full of thousands and thousands of posts on various different topics, a thread which also will no doubt be dominated by biased views seeing as it's a dedicated team thread. this story warrants a thread, and me starting that thread does not warrant any note. 

8 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I'm getting notifications on my phone that an NBA team which is actively competing in the playoffs is straight up accusing the league officials of collusion/corruption, claiming they have evidence, and I want to know more about it without having to dive into a dedicated team thread full of thousands and thousands of posts on various different topics, a thread which also will no doubt be dominated by biased views seeing as it's a dedicated team thread. this story warrants a thread, and me starting that thread does not warrant any note. 

Skip to the 1:20 mark or so. Rachel Nichols is also a lot easier on the eyes than the walls of text on this thread.

45 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Skip to the 1:20 mark or so. Rachel Nichols is also a lot easier on the eyes than the walls of text on this thread.

damn. i haven't been able to watch hardly any playoff ball at all, and didn't see any of this game. it looks like the Rockets may have had a legit beef in the first half, but then did themselves no favors with their soccer-style theatrics in the second half. still, pretty ballsy of the Rockets to straight come out and put the league on blast like this during a playoff series. I don't recall having seen that before. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think it’s a great video, whether or not they were legit calls or not if the rockets complain all series they are done. The last shot wasn’t a foul and you could tell in live action.

im torn on Rachel Nichols though, sometimes she looks hot and other times meh.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

It's like this team, Warriors, is being coached to land under their opponents feet.

Good strategy, it gets inside the players head when they could be put on crutches shooting a 3 pointer. I'd tell the guys to do it right back to them. Fuck it you are going to lose the series either way, fight back and get the flagrant. 

11 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

damn. i haven't been able to watch hardly any playoff ball at all, and didn't see any of this game. it looks like the Rockets may have had a legit beef in the first half, but then did themselves no favors with their soccer-style theatrics in the second half. still, pretty ballsy of the Rockets to straight come out and put the league on blast like this during a playoff series. I don't recall having seen that before. 

You don't remember Jeff Van Gundy being fined $100K when he accused the refs of changing how Yao was being officiated in the 2005 Rockets-Mavs series where the Rockets went up 2-0 and the Mavs had homecourt? Later on Tim Donaghy alleged this series (as well as a certain 2002 Kings-Lakers series) was called differently after a certain Dallas owner sent video footage of Yao's alleged moving screens to the league office.

14 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

Phil Jackson did this tactic all the time in the playoffs. Not sure why a thread was made about it. 

Phil Jackson had his analytics people pore over film of the previous year's playoff series, cited every specific missed call by the officials, assigned a point value to said missed calls, and accused the officials of purposely giving his opponents favorable treatment? All the time? I must have missed that. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

Phil Jackson did this tactic all the time in the playoffs. Not sure why a thread was made about it. 

Maybe it will un-shit up the series thread.

It should be more about how great Durant is rather than arguing about the screw job

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Agree but shouldn't the refs call the same game in the playoffs they've called for the past 6 months?