Getting old sucks

Hate

Glad to hear that and hope you can get back in action soon.

I’ve had a hernia for about 6 years - when sitting up from a prone position my stomach (not the intestines) bulges through the wall just below the sternum. Looks like the Alien is trying to pop out. I’ve learned to automatically press down to keep it from bulging too much.

Doc said if it doesn’t cause pain or get worse, he would prefer not to put a mesh in there to avoid infections. It is not as serious as the lower abdominal hernias like yours. So far no problems.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hate said:

I’m on day 5 and I’m on the mend. It’s probably the best I’ve felt since the surgery. I’ve taken a couple of painless dumps today, which is nice. I’ve stopped taking the painkillers and last night I had some whiskey for the first time since Sunday night. I’m moving around pretty well, but I get sore after a while and have to put some ice on it. I’m still sleeping upright on the couch. I’m a side sleeper and I can’t roll on my side because my balls are still too swollen. They’re getting better daily, but it may be another night or two before I can return to the bed. Other than that, it’s going fairly well.

Noticed you had posted in the NSFW subforum and just assumed you were fully recovered and back in action, so to speak.

Roll call here.

I'll be 52 later this year, and I feel great.  But here's the list of ailments:

-Both shoulders are just fucked.  I can dislocate either of them (not the party kind of attention getting dislocation, the kind that happens without warning).  They go back in easily enough, but damn does it hurt.  I probably should get them looked at before it becomes a real quality of life issue

-Left knee sometimes quits working.  Seriously.  A few days each year, it becomes really inflamed and does not bend easily. Goes away as it came.

-Maintaining a certain weight level becomes more of a chore than it did 20 years ago

-Doctor recently diagnosed me with Folliculitis on my scalp.  If you've never heard of it, think of acne but within hair follicles.  No one could see it, but I could feel it.  Few rounds of antibiotics cleared that up.

-Men, that old tale you heard about the possibility your package not working at 100% efficiency the older you get?  It's true.  If you have a great spouse, learn to laugh it off and try again.  

-On the plus side, my BP was 112/70 a few weeks back at the doctor's office.  Have a full physical scheduled for May 14, and I anticipate I'll be told it's time to get fisted.

Be sure and get that lawyer's name off the tv in case the mesh starts eating your insides. You could be in the money in the not to distant future.

And yes, getting old sucks. Since I hit 40 a lot of years ago, it's been a long, slippery slope. I have all those lawyers phone nos. Car wreck, mesothelioma, talcum powder (you never know), and all the rest. Just in case.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

On 5/1/2019 at 4:09 PM, Armybrat said:

I started there in ‘99 too, but hope this place is my last stop.

OP, it certainly does suck getting old. Minor ailments nowadays sometimes tend to wear me down to the point where idgaf about anything. Case in point, I’ve had a bad sore throat, sinus infection, and ear infection since Sunday. Self medicating didn’t help any, so today I went to the walk-in clinic at my regular doctor’s office (He was unavailable until May 16th). His PA checked me out and prescribed antibiotics,, steroids, and a nebulizer machine (gave me one treatment in the office).

After just getting out for an hour & a half, I’m back home feeling worse. At. Least no pneumonia though. Wife is at CVS picking up the meds & machine right now. Hope all that stuff starts working this evening, because 3 hours sleep each night just ain’t cutting it, besides feeling weak as a kitten.

sorry about the typos, but I can hardly read or type shit because of the cataracts & watery eyes. Mrs. Brat even had to drive me there. And that’s just for a minor problem that may not bother you young guys much at all.

After feeling good briefly on Saturday, the shitty congestion apparently relapsed. The ear infection & sore throat seem much better but the lung & sinus congestion are still unchanged. Got  2 hours sleep until 1:30am, then tossed & turned until 3:30.. got up  and took a hot shower to loosen up the considerable amount of phlegm. Sitting in the recliner since 4 unable to sleep because when I start nodding off every 10 minutes I stop breathing and wake up gasping for breath.

guess I’ll try to get back in to see the PA and to figure out why the lungs & sinuses haven’t improved.Am pretty well wiped out and am even too tired to surf the NSAA forum. This sucks.

and did I mention the antibiotics have given me the runnies?

Edited by Armybrat

• 3 weeks later...

Not really age related, but definitely quality of life related.

Visited with an orthopedic surgeon yesterday.

Both of my shoulders have been wrecked since high school, but the past 6 months or so the right one has been worse than normal.  Think random dislocations, but not the fun party kind of showing off dislocations.

Walk in, take xrays.  Get taken back to consultation room.  Doc comes in about 15 minutes later with xrays on an iPad.  I had assumed before the visit they would schedule and MRI, further consultation, etc.

Xray was so bad, they asked if I would want to schedule surgery in the next few weeks.  In short, I've literally had a partial dislocation for decades now, and have just lived with it.  There's almost half an inch gap between the ball and socket.  Going to do three procedures at once (scope, torn rotator cuff, and forget the third) followed by 2 months of physical therapy.  THEN do the left shoulder.

He did let me schedule the first surgery in late Summer.  Disneyworld and Vegas beckons in the next two months.

I'm on the wrong side of 50, but the worst thing I have to deal with is the inability to sleep more than about four hours a night max. If I go to bed at a reasonable hour, I'm wide at 3 am and I just get up and watch tv or go walk the dogs.

But normally I just stay up till two or three and sleep til 6:30 or 7.

Then a nap later in the afternoon most days.

Glad to hear you're up and at em Hate.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2019 at 4:11 PM, NateHitch said:

Haven't perused the whole thread yet so this might have been covered but when you're recovering from the surgery don't cough or sneeze and hold off on shitting for as long as possible.  I sneezed the day after and would have preferred death over that.  I avoided the pain meds too cause they can stuff you up and trust me, you don't want to be forcing a turd out the following week.  And outside of that, as much as it sucks, get up and move around every hour.  It'll suck ass but you'll be glad you did in the end.  Good luck.

A not cool story bro...

Back in the sixties when you could smoke in your hospital room and Doctor smoked my father had a hernia operation. course as soon as he came out from under anesthesia in the room he was craving a cigarette. He coughed one time, busted all of his stitches and never lit a cigarette again for the rest of his life.

I on the other hand back in 2010 are a triple hernia repair.  Never had a problem dropping a deuce but never thought about it being allergy season when I had the surgery done. Sneezing will damn near make you suicidal.

Best wishes to the o p for a speedy recovery, and this was mentioned earlier no jerkin the gherkin.

On 5/5/2019 at 8:36 AM, Francisco 2.0 said:

Roll call here.

I'll be 52 later this year, and I feel great.  But here's the list of ailments:

-Both shoulders are just fucked.  I can dislocate either of them (not the party kind of attention getting dislocation, the kind that happens without warning).  They go back in easily enough, but damn does it hurt.  I probably should get them looked at before it becomes a real quality of life issue

-Left knee sometimes quits working.  Seriously.  A few days each year, it becomes really inflamed and does not bend easily. Goes away as it came.

-Maintaining a certain weight level becomes more of a chore than it did 20 years ago

-Doctor recently diagnosed me with Folliculitis on my scalp.  If you've never heard of it, think of acne but within hair follicles.  No one could see it, but I could feel it.  Few rounds of antibiotics cleared that up.

-Men, that old tale you heard about the possibility your package not working at 100% efficiency the older you get?  It's true.  If you have a great spouse, learn to laugh it off and try again.  

-On the plus side, my BP was 112/70 a few weeks back at the doctor's office.  Have a full physical scheduled for May 14, and I anticipate I'll be told it's time to get fisted.

A word of advice on your shoulder situation. Do not delay getting that taken care of. I put mine off for several years and wound up with a reverse replacement on my left shoulder, and to rotator cuff repairs on my right shoulder. I've got a few years on you but the reverse replacement is pure hell and I will never have 100% strength back and nowhere near full range of motion. Right shoulder while it is held at pretty good is still weak and at different points in my range of motion it suddenly feels like I'm getting stabbed with a red-hot ice pick... Of course the left side does that too.

I waited too long on the left one and the upper part of the humerus where the ball part of the joint is it basically worn-down so bad it was basically collapsing in on itself.

One thing I learned through all of it just want your shoulders get to a really bad state of repair it can be very difficult finding an orthopedic surgeon who is willing to deal with it. Shoulders are horribly designed joints and when they go to hell they really go to hell.

Best of luck hope things turn out for the best.

11 hours ago, Horn_Spanker said:

I'm a side sleeper and every time I roll over during the night, I have to reach down and pull my nut sack from between my thighs. 

10 hours ago, Hate said:

Lol...same here.

Do more steroids, problem solved. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Last Sunday I went to get up from my computer chair and my left leg decided it didn't want to work. I fell, landed on a little foot stool and hit my head on a filing cabinet. Not really sure if it knocked me out, but it definitely rang my bell. What's worse is my side. I hit the stool at an angle and it dug into my ribs and gut. Didn't go to the doc, but pretty sure I busted a couple ribs and I'm bruised all to hell. Ice and compression seem to be the best remedy. I'm sore af and definitely can't sleep on my side.

Damn, that sucks. Hope you don’t have to cough or sneeze for the next few days. I’m pretty much back to “normal” after 7 weeks. I’ll play golf this week for this first time since the surgery, so I’m interested to see how that goes.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

50 is coming up quick for me. I was lucky in that my eyes lasted longer then most but I’m catching up quick. Last year, menus in dark restaurants weren’t a problem, now it’s a struggle.  I’m still able to do without reading glasses at work but I’m sure that will change soon. 

This.

My eye doc is a former student of mine.  At age 49, he asked if I needed anything to read with.  Still 20/20, everything good.  He looked at me and said "it's coming".

6 months later, I needed readers.

I had my visit with him a month ago.  I'll be 52 shortly; I'm still 20/20 off the chart on the wall, but within 3 feet, I'm pretty worthless.  He had me try a pair of +1.50 readers, which were nice.  He said in another year, these might be +2.00

Damn.

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

50 is coming up quick for me. I was lucky in that my eyes lasted longer then most but I’m catching up quick. Last year, menus in dark restaurants weren’t a problem, now it’s a struggle.  I’m still able to do without reading glasses at work but I’m sure that will change soon. 

Same here at 47, but I've worn contacts since I was 15 for nearsightedness.  I never had issues until a few months ago with small print, reading in darker rooms, etc until I was trying to read the directions on medicine  box and couldn't see crap on it and I had to borrow my wife's readers that were sitting close by.  The Eye Doc gave me the option of keeping my current script or moving to multi focal contacts and so far, so good.  The only thing is they tend to dry my eyes much faster and I take them off pretty much the first thing when I get home in the evenings.   And I do get a slight blur effect with brighter lights like some of the more daylight tone LED's, but not as bad as my Eye Doc suggested it might be.

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Same here at 47, but I've worn contacts since I was 15 for nearsightedness.  I never had issues until a few months ago with small print, reading in darker rooms, etc until I was trying to read the directions on medicine  box and couldn't see crap on it and I had to borrow my wife's readers that were sitting close by.  The Eye Doc gave me the option of keeping my current script or moving to multi focal contacts and so far, so good.  The only thing is they tend to dry my eyes much faster and I take them off pretty much the first thing when I get home in the evenings.   And I do get a slight blur effect with brighter lights like some of the more daylight tone LED's, but not as bad as my Eye Doc suggested it might be.

I swear that on some fine print directions, I practically need a microscope. Screw the readers or even magnifying glass. 

• Like 1

Speaking of getting old, I just learned at my last visit (last week) with my eye doctor that bifocals are now called “progressives”. 

FWIW, readers aren’t worth a damn if you have cataracts. Can’t see shit out of my left eye and have to squint out of the other..... with my readers on. Will have the cataract in the left eye removed before football season starts, as it was difficult driving home after night games last year.

Damn I hate this thread.

Tomorrow I go back to the doctor for a knee injury that isn't healing.  About 2 months ago I slipped getting off a drilling rig and had to jump about 4 feet to the ground.  Figured it was just jammed or sprained, as there was minimal swelling. This will be the second follow up and I'm dreading it because I know it's worse now and I'll more than likely have to have surgery.  I've been under 24 times to get cut on and it's starting to scare me at 62.

On 6/23/2019 at 12:19 PM, Armybrat said:

Speaking of getting old, I just learned at my last visit (last week) with my eye doctor that bifocals are now called “progressives”. 

FWIW, readers aren’t worth a damn if you have cataracts. Can’t see shit out of my left eye and have to squint out of the other..... with my readers on. Will have the cataract in the left eye removed before football season starts, as it was difficult driving home after night games last year.

Had both eyes done a few years back. Easy procedure and you'll be amazed (and thankful) at the difference.

Also those nut sack squeezes between the legs at night, I've found a pillow between the knees helps considerably.

Good luck Shooter.

I have really noticed this more and more.  I get swamp ass for no explicable reason.  And I have to go the bathroom strictly to wipe my ass.  No shart or precursor event.  Just A moistness that needs tidying.

I also have a bone chip in my ankle.  My rheumatologist xrayed it and said it may heal, or may lead to an arthritic ankle.  Feels like I have had a sprained ankle for 3 months.

24 minutes ago, LarryTT said:

Had both eyes done a few years back. Easy procedure and you'll be amazed (and thankful) at the difference.

Also those nut sack squeezes between the legs at night, I've found a pillow between the knees helps considerably.

How long after the surgery before they take the eye patch off? I've only got one eye and having the cataract removed from the good eye is going to leave me blind for that time period. Kinda freaked out about it.

Hit 50 last January and can relate to several of these posts...

Just got the new Dave Campbell magazine and holy shit has that font gotten small. Phil Steele's preview might as well be a picture book now, there's so much tiny data crammed on each page. 

Also not at the waking- up-to- pee phase yet, but it's the last thing before bed and the first thing when I get up...if I could ever sleep >6 hours that would probably change though