Getting old sucks

Hate

48 minutes ago, deter said:

Serious spinal stenosis.  MRI not soecial. Bone spurs with no fluid in a couple of spots. Advice appreciated. 

Let’s take a ride out to the country. Make sure you walk in front of me and take time to look at the sunset. 

...I promise you this is for the best. No more pain where you’re goin bud. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Had my left eye cataract surgery done two weeks ago, wherein the doctor implanted a new lens. It has not cleared up yet due to a problem with that retina. Supposedly another surgery in March/April should help it. 
Am having another cataract surgery with lens replacement  in the right eye this afternoon, so hope it works and I can still surf NSAA here.
Any of you assholes have a red-tipped white cane to loan me?

Signing off for a few days.

I took my son to a local gym yesterday to play some pick up basketball.  The kids needed another to make it 4 on 4 so I played with the kids all aged 10-14 or so.  Goddamn i was sore last night. I'm better this morning, but it required a few hours in the spa with some whiskey.  I miss the days of being able to play basketball all day without everything hurting. 

My whole body stiffens up like my 14 year old pecker if I sit or lay down for more than an hour at a time. It feels better to be on my feet, which I am until an hour before bed time. Even watch TV standing, eat standing unless at a restaurant, and tried fucking while standing but that caused other problems.  

• 1 month later...

46.  Need to lose some weight, but get good cardio and do resistance training regularly.  Blood panel is fine, but HDL is a bit high.  Trying to avoid the statin. 

Had a precancerous polyp on the colonoscopy last May.  So I get to do that more often. 

Then, the kicker.  I'm working backstage at my kid's school play and, for no good reason, try to lift a heavy table to move it, no kidding (OCD), 2" to the left.  I straight arm it, hear a pop, and drop to my knees with some serious pain in my left arm.  Long story short, I ripped my distal biceps tendon off my radial bone.  Surgery in mid December.  Left arm isolated in a wrap through the holidays.  By day 3, I was off advil/tylenol (never took the Hydrocodone).  Two weeks after surgery, I got the wrap off my arm.  Physical therapy.  No lifting for a month.  After that month, I get cleared to lift, finish PT, and started working out at home starting with the wife's (no pics) pink/blue weights.  Have graduated from those, but not by too much.  Lots of reps.  I've got about 2 more weeks until I can lift whatever I can.  I'm told I can skip the surgeon appointment if I am not having any issues. 

So that sucked, but I'm mostly better.  Cool scar.

Started taking Vitamin D and a Ginger supplement a couple of weeks ago.  Libido has improved.  So there's that.

Good luck, you old farts

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Anyone get the gout? Pretty sure I'm going through my second flare up. First was in September in my left knee. This time, left heel. For fucksake - it's painful. Not sure if it's worth seeing the doctor and getting gout meds or just tough it out for a few days.

I say go see a doc and get a diagnosis. Make sure it's actually gout. My Dad was misdiagnosed for years when it was actually a diabetic issue. The gout diet is not a pleasant diet unless you really like eggplant.

19 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Anyone get the gout? 

You doing kitchen or bathroom tile? 

I came home from work the other day and realized I wore 2 different shoes to work, they were both white NBs but different styles.  I work in a cleanroom and have to bunny suit up, so I never noticed it when slipping booties over my shoes. 

Edited by Underdog

I honestly do not recall (old age right?) if I discussed my shoulder in this thread, or any other thread in the past year.  If someone recalls it, point me in the direction.  Thx.

Having said that, the past 5 months or so have been pretty brutal.  When I was in high school, I separated my right shoulder.  Lived with it over the years.  It would separate 1 or 2 times a year, but it was momentary and the pain would subside within a day or two.

Fall of 2018 it started separating doing nominal tasks, such as putting on deodorant, washing hair, etc.  I finally consulted a ortho surgeon in May of 2019, who took one X-Ray and asked if I wanted surgery the following week.  Couldn't at the time due to vacation coming up, but he told me I could schedule it any time, I wasn't making things any worse.  Torn rotator cuff was the diagnosis.

I scheduled the surgery for mid-October.  Pre-op the week prior was fun; an EKG was performed, and due to faulty equipment, the anesthesiologist and cardiologist on duty at the hospital thought I may have heart issues.  So, a trip to a different cardiologist was scheduled to verify the findings of the first EKG.  Thankfully, nothing wrong with the heart.

Day of surgery, go in.  Surgery was to take about an hour.  After 2.5 hours, the doctor came out to see the bride.  The shoulder had far more damage than the single X-Ray shown, so he took care of all that.  I had the following wrong:

-Torn labrum

-Detached labrum, from 10:00 to 2:00, looking at my shoulder from the side

-Torn rotator cuff (resembled seaweed, according to doc)

-bone spurs on the humerus

-torn tendon on top of shoulder, tear 1.5 inches long

I was sent home and started therapy chair sessions for 3 hours a day for 3 weeks, followed by a follow up.  At that visit, I was originally to have started PT, but the doctor said due to the amount of damage done, I needed to heal some more.  So, it was another month before PT started.  No lie, this was painful as shit.  Couldn't dress myself, driving was painful, opening doors, anything.  Then PT started, and it was uncomfortable.

After just over a month of PT (early January) I really wasn't progressing range of motion wise, so a follow up dr appointment was scheduled.  After a few moments, he mentioned a second surgery (manipulation) where they put me under, then manipulate my arm-shoulder to tear loose any scar tissue that built up inside the joint.  The manipulation was scheduled Feb 11, and I started therapy 3 hours after it.  

The manipulation went well, according to the doc.  He told my wife the sound from the scar tissue tearing was very audible in the operating room.  Recovery fucking sucked, for the pain meds wore off really quickly.

This was far, far more painful than the initial surgery.  Plus, the poor girl at PT (cute, no pics) was just fucking brutal with the stretches.  At one point, I actually heard tearing.  She assured me it was more scar tissue.  I'm not ashamed to admit I have cried in front of her.

That's where things are at today.  I have a dr visit next week, where they will go over the range of motion, etc.  It's far greater than it was pre-manipulation, so that has been a success to me.  Hoping the dr signs off on the progress and I don't have to go back to PT.

• Like 2

I've skied since I was about 13. I've skied 30x more than my son, I'm 32 years older. I've skied black, and double blacks most of my life. I can barely keep up with him on the slopes now, and he skies maybe 6 days a year.  

Youth trumps experience.  Advil, weed and liquor are my friends during ski weeks.

21 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Anyone get the gout? Pretty sure I'm going through my second flare up. First was in September in my left knee. This time, left heel. For fucksake - it's painful. Not sure if it's worth seeing the doctor and getting gout meds or just tough it out for a few days.

Just buy some over the counter Naproxen.

19 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Anyone who watches Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee has seen how difficult it is for the old comedians to get in and out of the tiny cars Jerry often shows up in.  Well, for me that's beginning to be any vehicle smaller than my F150.

You ought to see me crawling out of my new Civic in my cramped garage.

On 2/27/2020 at 10:48 PM, dcbc said:

46.  Need to lose some weight, but get good cardio and do resistance training regularly.  Blood panel is fine, but HDL is a bit high.  Trying to avoid the statin. 

Had a precancerous polyp on the colonoscopy last May.  So I get to do that more often. 

Then, the kicker.  I'm working backstage at my kid's school play and, for no good reason, try to lift a heavy table to move it, no kidding (OCD), 2" to the left.  I straight arm it, hear a pop, and drop to my knees with some serious pain in my left arm.  Long story short, I ripped my distal biceps tendon off my radial bone.  Surgery in mid December.  Left arm isolated in a wrap through the holidays.  By day 3, I was off advil/tylenol (never took the Hydrocodone).  Two weeks after surgery, I got the wrap off my arm.  Physical therapy.  No lifting for a month.  After that month, I get cleared to lift, finish PT, and started working out at home starting with the wife's (no pics) pink/blue weights.  Have graduated from those, but not by too much.  Lots of reps.  I've got about 2 more weeks until I can lift whatever I can.  I'm told I can skip the surgeon appointment if I am not having any issues. 

So that sucked, but I'm mostly better.  Cool scar.

Started taking Vitamin D and a Ginger supplement a couple of weeks ago.  Libido has improved.  So there's that.

Good luck, you old farts

Shoulda taken the hydrocodone so you could add constipation to your story. 

7 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Had issues with both Hydro/oxycodone after latest knee replacement surgery, was having reactions to them where I broke out with welts/swelling even took an ambulance ride to ER due to half my tongue swelling up.  I remember a follow up visit with the surgeon afterwards with just a bump on my lip escalating to a full blown swollen lip by the time I left, his poor Asst. just looked at me not believing how quickly it progressed.   

32 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I’m doing remarkably well except for a Dupetrin’s Contracture on my right hand, which I had repaired last year.

Well, except for the occasional post on the shart thread.

Oooh Dupetrins contracture, sneaky old Dupetrins contractures, those are nasty,   WTF is a Dupetrins contracture ??!

On 2/27/2020 at 10:04 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Shit.  Just had my first attack 5 weeks ago.  I know it was five weeks because it was in my left knee and took 2 weeks for them to diagnose.  Knife like pain when bending my knee and inability to walk.  I bought a cane...which I needed to move like a 90:year old man.  I know 5 weeks because one of the medicines gave me a reaction of an itchy rash all over my body and it is still lingering 3 weeks later.  

shit sucks, but changed diet somewhat and cut out beer so I have lost 8 lbs.

5 minutes ago, ABSR said:

Shit.  Just had my first attack 5 weeks ago.  I know it was five weeks because it was in my left knee and took 2 weeks for them to diagnose.  Knife like pain when bending my knee and inability to walk.  I bought a cane...which I needed to move like a 90:year old man.  I know 5 weeks because one of the medicines gave me a reaction of an itchy rash all over my body and it is still lingering 3 weeks later.  

shit sucks, but changed diet somewhat and cut out beer so I have lost 8 lbs.

Seems like gout can be triggered by diet ??, from a friends comments.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Precisely why I didn't take it.  I've never heard of it doing much for pain apart from knocking you out, with cement colon being the reward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

My fingers curled up until my hand became a claw. Especially pinky and ring finger. Couldn’t get a glove on my hand.

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

My fingers curled up until my hand became a claw. Especially pinky and ring finger. Couldn’t get a glove on my hand.

See post #289 for my response.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Everyone morning I wake up my joints remind me of my age. In a few wks I'm having my shoulder replaced and then 6 months later they are replacing the other one Hoping I can sleep thruough the night without pain.

Good luck man. Add turning wrenches on an old car in lots of varied, and contorted positions, and pain is part and parcel.

I have a compressed disc in my neck. Shoulder pain, neck pain, and loss of sleep are always just below the surface as well.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

Good luck man. Add turning wrenches on an old car in lots of varied, and contorted positions, and pain is part and parcel.
I have a compressed disc in my neck. Shoulder pain, neck pain, and loss of sleep are always just below the surface as well.
Thanks, what sucks about it all, is that I'm not even 40 yet. Between the car hobby and 2+ decades in the military it's been hard on the body.

9 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
10 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Thanks, what sucks about it all, is that I'm not even 40 yet. Between the car hobby and 2+ decades in the military it's been hard on the body.

I was in my mid 30's when I had my ski accident, and it fucked up my neck up for 2 plus years. I couldn't do much anything without pain, couldn't work out, stopped playing softball. I felt totally useless, and the disability of the neck and arm pain sucked. I got thru it, and have made a mostly full recovery.

Hopefully the shoulder operations take care of your issues. Life's not over yet man.