Getting old sucks

Hate

On 3/3/2020 at 6:21 PM, Sbbruin said:

My distance vision remains very good.  But I can't read shit from shinola up close.  I have readers stashed all over the place.

Thanks Lat.  Sounds like a lot of 50 somethings around here.

Same for me.  Also 53

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 6:02 PM, Lat22 said:

After suffering with cheap ass readers the last 10 years, I just got home with my new contacts.  In fact, this is the first thing I've typed without glasses.  52.

Happy Birthday Bruin.

So tell m e more about the contacts? Are they bi-focal? Is one for close and the other for far? I've had 20/15 my whole life, but like you I've needed readers the past 8 or so years. (Just turned 50 in October). I've even looked into the one eyed lasik they are doing now, but doing one eye creeps me out. 

52 here...after ignoring my seriously high blood pressure for years and getting married back in late December, i finally took it upon myself to see a cardiologist about it this past Monday.  he looked at my digital history of my BP readings and the 3 times they took it at his office and exclaimed "Holy fuck."  that's literally what he said.
the reason...my resting BP is around 220/180, what i learned is medically considered to be "hypertensive crisis"...been living with it like that for years.  and i'm not some overweight fatass...i work out on the reg, cardio, HIIT train...about 1.5 hours per day and stay active when i'm not doing that, don't eat hardly any processed food, etc.  
congenital and age, he said.
fuck all this shit.

It would have been better if he said “Kyrie Eleison”.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/3/2020 at 6:21 PM, Sbbruin said:

My distance vision remains very good.  But I can't read shit from shinola up close.  I have readers stashed all over the place.

Thanks Lat.  Sounds like a lot of 50 somethings around here.

I see up close better than most 25 year olds. My distance vision is barely passable during the day, but not at night. No chance I’ll read a street sign in time to turn without glasses. 

I actually had my glasses made to correct my vision about halfway to perfect because I only wore them to drive, and with full correction to 20:15, I hated the time it took for my eyes to transition when I took them off. I also had a hard time seeing my speedometer (I don’t need bifocals) with my glasses at full correction.

I'm thinking of getting laser correction. My wife has that done by Dr. Stephen Dell (yes, Michael’s brother...he loves being asked that, btw) 20 years ago. He did such a nice job that I’d travel to have him do mine.

Has anyone here had laser eye surgery after age 55 (I’m actually closer to 60)?

14 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I see up close better than most 25 year olds. My distance vision is barely passable during the day, but not at night. No chance I’ll read a street sign in time to turn without glasses. 

I actually had my glasses made to correct my vision about halfway to perfect because I only wore them to drive, and with full correction to 20:15, I hated the time it took for my eyes to transition when I took them off. I also had a hard time seeing my speedometer (I don’t need bifocals) with my glasses at full correction.

I'm thinking of getting laser correction. My wife has that done by Dr. Stephen Dell (yes, Michael’s brother...he loves being asked that, btw) 20 years ago. He did such a nice job that I’d travel to have him do mine.

Has anyone here had laser eye surgery after age 55 (I’m actually closer to 60)?

when it comes to eye surgery, it doesn't seem like there is much of a middle ground. it either went well or you are fucked 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 9:47 AM, Pescado_Rojo said:

So tell m e more about the contacts? Are they bi-focal? Is one for close and the other for far? I've had 20/15 my whole life, but like you I've needed readers the past 8 or so years. (Just turned 50 in October). I've even looked into the one eyed lasik they are doing now, but doing one eye creeps me out. 

They're multifocal.  The vision isn't as perfect as wearing glasses, but the difference is night and day.  They can fine tune them for whatever distance you like. 

On 9/29/2019 at 9:59 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

How do i get rid of pain in a left finger top knuckle? I can push down on it with no pain at all..but if i curl it all of the way of "crack it" from the side...theres pain and its been this way since july.

I started to have problems with the joints in my right index finger about 6 months ago, especially the big E knuckle. 
3-A2-A5488-4129-474-C-8-BBD-2-BAA149-FAD

Initially, it responded well to one naproxen sodium a day, but it got worse. I didn’t want to take two doses a day because it’s an NSAID, but it had gotten to the point that I couldn’t bend it past 45 degrees, and even opening a jar was pretty damn painful. Forget lifting a curling bar or anything more strenuous.

I tried Tumeric capsules, but that didn’t do a damn thing. Then, the PharmD guy at my wife’s clinic suggested I take Qunol brand Tumeric. He had previously advised me to take Qunol CoQ10 because it was more absorbable than run-of-the-mill CoQ10.

One naproxen sodium and two Qunol Tumeric (taken 8-12 hours apart) seemed to go the trick. Then last week, we went out of town for 5 days without my Tumeric, and that knuckle flared up worse than ever. I had to take extra naproxen sodium.

As soon as we got back home, I resumed my regimen of 1 ns and 2 Tumeric, and I almost forget I have arthritis in that knuckle.

I am an unpaid spokesman. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Funny you post that now. I guess I haven’t really noticed my knuckle pain lately and it seems normal right now. No meds, just don’t think about it I guess. Too much Coronavirus browsing to notice my nagging pain

it's funny that I even remembered that you had posted something about your finger pain 

On 3/12/2020 at 2:48 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

when it comes to eye surgery, it doesn't seem like there is much of a middle ground. it either went well or you are fucked 

Had both of my eyes done for cataracts, but the left eye still needs retina surgery. That was scheduled next month but of course is now canceled. Right eye is 20/20, left eye is better but still can’t see shit.

56 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Had both of my eyes done for cataracts, but the left eye still needs retina surgery. That was scheduled next month but of course is now canceled. Right eye is 20/20, left eye is better but still can’t see shit.

Cataract? No, he dlive a Rincoln....

• 1 month later...

Chasing my dog earlier and my leg exploded. Like it wasn't there anymore. In the ER room now without my wife because covid19 visiting restrictions.

First peace and quiet I've had since the quarantine started in earnest.

Ow my leg. Doc says I tore or severely pulled my hammy.

Getting old sucks.

• Like 3

I'm only 49 but this year it seems like my body is just falling apart. I've started to randomly get pain in my ankles, achilles tendonitis, and pain/swelling/stiffness in my knees for no apparent reason. Plus my chronic back pain is acting up too. I'm starting to wonder if something systemic is happening, but so far tests have come back normal. (It's never lupus.)

Not being shitty just curious, do you regularly exercise?

Yes, I ride my bike about an hour every other day. Bought a Specialized Crosstrek and actually passed the 350 mile mark on it yesterday morning, according to the computer. 

But I dont stretch nearly as much as I should.

Full disclosure, I was playing fetch with my dog who was got distracted and started chasing a strange dog towards a busy street so my spontaneous full speed sprint was pure adrenaline.

On Friday, Amazon delivered my new stand up desk, it's in a box in the back of my pickup awaiting assembly at my office on Monday. Was thinking of getting one of those balance boards to stand on at work.

that plan just got delayed as I'm on crutches, can put weight on my leg but cannot walk. Ice, advil, tylenol. ER doc said tendons and ligaments are intact, lack of bruising suggests I didnt tear the muscle fascia and belly, if I still cant walk in a few days call the orthopedist for a consult. He suggested the local practice and I said nah, all due respect I only go to Fondren Group in Houston.

I'm only 49 but this year it seems like my body is just falling apart. I've started to randomly get pain in my ankles, achilles tendonitis, and pain/swelling/stiffness in my knees for no apparent reason. Plus my chronic back pain is acting up too. I'm starting to wonder if something systemic is happening, but so far tests have come back normal. (It's never lupus.)

I had the same issues, but they mostly stopped when I quit eating wheat and went keto.

Have you ruled out dietary inflammatories?
  • Like 1

crossed the 1/2 century mark a couple days ago.  fuck, really hard to say that out loud.  no one in my family has ever seen 70 so i'm on the final stretch i imagine.  finally gave in on the diabetes bullshit (tried every diet, etc known to man and the doc said you cant fight genetics) so im going with meds.  good news, cholesterol, heart are in tip-top shape.  i really do eat well and exercise frequently...at least the most my broken down body will allow (3 knee surgeries, 3 R shoulder, 2 back surgeries with a 2 level fusion staring me in the eyes).  bought a dozen readers to keep around.  I have 2 high school boys and i fucking HATE i cant exercise, play sports with them.

bottom line...getting old fucking sucks.

• Like 2

One of the things that has bothered me recently is when you become self-aware of your body getting old.  I'm lucky in that most of my body is in pretty good shape.  My knees, however, not so much.  Two ACL reconstructions and about 4 hours a day of basketball while in my teens and 20's did a number on them.

I've never given up sports so there's been a transition from,

No issues > I've lost a step but don't realize it > why the hell am I so sore after a game > why the hell am I so sore during the game > Yesterday ...

Took the family hiking, and I'm stumbling up and down small elevations as if I'm 80.  

On 5/3/2020 at 12:06 PM, chesthair said:

crossed the 1/2 century mark a couple days ago.  fuck, really hard to say that out loud.  no one in my family has ever seen 70 so i'm on the final stretch i imagine.  finally gave in on the diabetes bullshit (tried every diet, etc known to man and the doc said you cant fight genetics) so im going with meds.  good news, cholesterol, heart are in tip-top shape.  i really do eat well and exercise frequently...at least the most my broken down body will allow (3 knee surgeries, 3 R shoulder, 2 back surgeries with a 2 level fusion staring me in the eyes).  bought a dozen readers to keep around.  I have 2 high school boys and i fucking HATE i cant exercise, play sports with them.

bottom line...getting old fucking sucks.

Happy belated 50th to you from this 49-year-old degenerate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Damn are you dead now? 

I’m more alive than I have ever been. And I appreciate things at this part of my life that I never would have bothered with as a young man.

I was always far to busy trying to improve my life with the trappings of material things that I thought were important. Who knew that the secret to life was never beat yourself up to bad. And a fine glass of bourbon, a proper cigar, and great food were the only things I ever really needed. 

• Like 2

Indeed, good luck with that hip.

got my stand up desk converter installed at the office this afternoon, omg this may be a game changer.

Hammy is at 75%.  would have been 85% but when I was putting on socks this morning I forgot I was injured.  Hyperextended and toppled over.

edit - think I'm going to buy my wife one of these desks. . .

Edited by BearSchlong

16 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Indeed, good luck with that hip.

got my stand up desk converter installed at the office this afternoon, omg this may be a game changer.

Hammy is at 75%.  would have been 85% but when I was putting on socks this morning I forgot I was injured.  Hyperextended and toppled over.

edit - think I'm going to buy my wife one of these desks. . .

Thanks.  I have PT today so we will see how it goes from now on on hip exercises.  Also my wife has one of those for her desk, she loves it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

You know you're old when you topple over putting on a sock.

or pull a hammy.  I tore a tendon in my middle right finger before Thanksgiving.  8 weeks of keeping it straight in a splint allowed the tendon grow back to the bone.  Google mallet finger.

oh, yeah, I did it while taking off my socks.

On 5/6/2020 at 1:18 PM, CycleTex87 said:

or pull a hammy.  I tore a tendon in my middle right finger before Thanksgiving.  8 weeks of keeping it straight in a splint allowed the tendon grow back to the bone.  Google mallet finger.

oh, yeah, I did it while taking off my socks.

At least you got to tell everyone what you think of them but could blame it on the splint