Getting old sucks

Hate

7 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

I miss sleeping late.  It is 5 am and the house is quiet but I am up with heartburn, hip pain and I can't turn off my brain.  I just want a peaceful nights rest and get up about 9am.

Preach 🙌 it brother...

I miss sleeping late.  It is 5 am and the house is quiet but I am up with heartburn, hip pain and I can't turn off my brain.  I just want a peaceful nights rest and get up about 9am.

You need to get really drunk and pass out in a room with black out curtains and the A/C cranked way down.

• Like 1

Have had a recurring injury in my shoulder blade area that is aggravated when picking the kids up and holding them. Did the whole MRI thing and they found a SLAP tear. Trying to go non surgical approach but it has been a slow recovery.

Anyone dealt with a labrum year non surgically? Any tips and recommendations?

I think the weakness in the labrum is stressing out the muscles and ligaments in the blade area and the constant picking up and holding kids is just making it angry.

26 minutes ago, 1000 Miles to Austin said:

Have had a recurring injury in my shoulder blade area that is aggravated when picking the kids up and holding them. Did the whole MRI thing and they found a SLAP tear. Trying to go non surgical approach but it has been a slow recovery.

Anyone dealt with a labrum year non surgically? Any tips and recommendations?

I think the weakness in the labrum is stressing out the muscles and ligaments in the blade area and the constant picking up and holding kids is just making it angry.

Tore mine around the circumference about 10 years ago.  PT wasn’t going to do much for mine, but hopefully yours is different.  I got the surgery and the recovery sucked.  The doc said he could repair it tight and it would be longer lasting but with a longer more painful recovery or he could repair it a little looser and I’d get through the recovery quicker but with a higher chance of re-injuring later. I told him my main goal was to be able to throw a football with my grandkids 30 years later so he made it tight.  For the first few weeks post surgery I couldn’t move that arm any direction for more than a couple inches, but it got better gradually with PT and after three months I could lift my arm up to shoulder height, maybe a couple more months after that before I could lift things up over my head. But that was a decade ago and I’ve abused the shit out of it on mountain bikes, in the gym, and doing other oddball manly stuff and I can still throw a football over them mountains today. 

I tore my labrum lifting weights in my younger days, PT was a waist and I had surgery. Fast forward few years later tore it and 2 others again along w/ biceps tendon. Went under the knife had, a few years go by and I was trying to move aircraft power cables and it was like a rubber band popped in my shoulder....she gone.

Finally went and saw a doc 6 years later after it getting worse to the point of no sleeping, constant pain. Was scheduled to have my shoulder replaced this past march and then the rona took over. I'll say this dont wait. Get it looked out.

I tore my labrum lifting weights in my younger days, PT was a waist and I had surgery. Fast forward few years later tore it and 2 others again along w/ biceps tendon. Went under the knife had, a few years go by and I was trying to move aircraft power cables and it was like a rubber band popped in my shoulder....she gone.

Finally went and saw a doc 6 years later after it getting worse to the point of no sleeping, constant pain. Was scheduled to have my shoulder replaced this past march and then the rona took over. I'll say this dont wait. Get it looked out.
I couldnt imagine getting my bicep and shoulder done a 2nd time. Wow.

12 hours ago, BearSchlong said:
17 hours ago, Moby Ric said:
So MRI showed a minor tear in the labrum.  Doc recommends a steroid injection and more PT.

What city/practice, if you're willing to share?

Not real comfortable sharing my location sorry.  The doc I am quite confident in, his practice is the orthopedic for a D1 football program. But the labrum was called degenerative due to age. I am not yet 50.  I have questions like, do I just do this now?  My injection is on Thursday.

Give the injection a try. It’s worth it to possibly avoid surgery. I had a slight tear in my rotator cuff about 7 or 8 years ago. I couldn’t lift my arm above my head and I couldn’t sleep very well because I am a side sleeper. I got a cortisone shot and it did the trick. I’ve no issues with the shoulder since. The tear that I had may be substantially less than what you have now, but I’m really glad I didn’t have to have surgery. Hope it works out for you.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hate said:

Give the injection a try. It’s worth it to possibly avoid surgery. I had a slight tear in my rotator cuff about 7 or 8 years ago. I couldn’t lift my arm above my head and I couldn’t sleep very well because I am a side sleeper. I got a cortisone shot and it did the trick. I’ve no issues with the shoulder since. The tear that I had may be substantially less than what you have now, but I’m really glad I didn’t have to have surgery. Hope it works out for you.

Yes, thanks.  I will take a shot over a surgery and long recovery any day.  But damn those shots are fucking painful.

I really don’t remember mine being painful. Maybe it’s because of where I had the cortisone injection? I also can’t remember if they numbed my shoulder before the cortisone injection. Damn, getting old and forgetting everything sucks.

I just had an MRI and they did the shot with the contrast in it to see the joint better.  Needle has to go all the way to the actual joint in the hip so it also required a numbing age due to the depth.  It sucked.  I assume it will be the same with the steroid injection.

2 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Not real comfortable sharing my location sorry.  The doc I am quite confident in, his practice is the orthopedic for a D1 football program. But the labrum was called degenerative due to age. I am not yet 50.  I have questions like, do I just do this now?  My injection is on Thursday.

If he's in the Houston/Kingwood area I'd recommend Dr. Gregory Harvey in Kingwood

2 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Yes, thanks.  I will take a shot over a surgery and long recovery any day.  But damn those shots are fucking painful.

Lulz, well they're sort of painful, but miles and miles more painless than they were back around '85.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2020 at 10:33 PM, BearSchlong said:

Chasing my dog earlier and my leg exploded. Like it wasn't there anymore. In the ER room now without my wife because covid19 visiting restrictions.

First peace and quiet I've had since the quarantine started in earnest.

Ow my leg. Doc says I tore or severely pulled my hammy.

Getting old sucks.

Did it sound like  a loud popping or a gunshot ?  I heard a friends hamstring pop as he rounded the bases in a softball game once,  bizarre sound.

On Friday my wife had a friend over, first time in months we’ve really socialized in person. I had way too much whiskey, puked. I was literally completely useless yesterday. Still feel like shit now. Won’t be surprised if I’m still hung over tomorrow. Fml.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 'stache said:

On Friday my wife had a friend over, first time in months we’ve really socialized in person. I had way too much whiskey, puked. I was literally completely useless yesterday. Still feel like shit now. Won’t be surprised if I’m still hung over tomorrow. Fml.

Brah, quarantine time was the perfect time to get yourself into drinking shape.....  I'm ashamed for ya.

On 5/24/2020 at 9:41 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Did it sound like  a loud popping or a gunshot ?  I heard a friends hamstring pop as he rounded the bases in a softball game once,  bizarre sound.

It felt like my leg exploded. . .can't say I remember hearing anything.  The ER doc asked me the same question.

So that injury was 24 days ago and I'm about 93% healed, spent the last 5 days walking up and down beach house stairs and only had to ice my hammy about once a day.

On 5/26/2020 at 10:00 AM, BearSchlong said:

It felt like my leg exploded. . .can't say I remember hearing anything.  The ER doc asked me the same question.

So that injury was 24 days ago and I'm about 93% healed, spent the last 5 days walking up and down beach house stairs and only had to ice my hammy about once a day.

Its possible your quadriceps are too strong for your hamstrings. Once your all healed up, get to the gym and do some easy leg curls to strengthen those hamstring muscles so they can keep up with the biking-enhanced quads.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Did either of you get the shingles vac?

I did the two part Shingrix vac within the last year.  I came down with shingles about 9 months or so before Shingrix was available.  The doc said even though I had shingles that it can, and often does, come back--and in the same area as the first time.  So I got the vacs as soon as I could.  

edit:  And the old vaccine was not very effective and IIRC it was not recommended unless you were over 60.  The new Shingrix is recommended for people over 50.

Edited by HouTex

4 hours ago, HouTex said:

I did the two part Shingrix vac within the last year.  I came down with shingles about 9 months or so before Shingrix was available.  The doc said even though I had shingles that it can, and often does, come back--and in the same area as the first time.  So I got the vacs as soon as I could.  

edit:  And the old vaccine was not very effective and IIRC it was not recommended unless you were over 60.  The new Shingrix is recommended for people over 50.

I got the two parter vac last summer. I was just wondering if either of you had gotten shingles in spite of getting the vac.

On 5/30/2020 at 10:37 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

Its possible your quadriceps are too strong for your hamstrings. Once your all healed up, get to the gym and do some easy leg curls to strengthen those hamstring muscles so they can keep up with the biking-enhanced quads.

This might be true.  My Gym hasn't re-opened yet because they are a subsidiary of Christus and are following pretty draconian hospital guidelines.  But I totally agree that might be the problem.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2020 at 1:18 PM, CycleTex87 said:

or pull a hammy.  I tore a tendon in my middle right finger before Thanksgiving.  8 weeks of keeping it straight in a splint allowed the tendon grow back to the bone.  Google mallet finger.

oh, yeah, I did it while taking off my socks.

I did that and had to have surgery.  I think I caught it on the brake lever going otb.  Spent about a month in a splint before the surgery and another month or longer after.  I have recovered about 50% of range of motion.  I probably need to push it a little harder.

On 5/24/2020 at 11:53 AM, Mother mopar said:

Got notifited this patst week my shoulder replacement surgery will take place 11 June after it got cancelled in march due to the rona. Can't wait to have range of motion and flexability.

Good luck. Shoulder rehab is a bruja. I’ve broken many bones, several surgeries over a lifetime. Pain from shoulder surgery and rehab is the worst I’ve ever had. So bad the pain pills turned out to be a problem too. Careful with those. 

• Like 2