Getting old sucks

Hate

On 6/13/2020 at 5:29 PM, BearSchlong said:

Why no nerve block? That's the only thing that made the first 24 hours of my shoulder surgery tolerable. Pro tip - if you cant sleep, get your doc to give you some ambien.

On 6/13/2020 at 6:26 PM, Mother mopar said:

Nerve block was just for the first 24 hours, then it's just baby oxcy (5mg).

The nerve block on my reverse replacement only lasted about 18 hours, and then it was 10mg hydrocodone.

rotator cuff surgery last Wednesday.  Nerve block, nerve catheter and oxy.   Had ice machine on 60 straight hours. Pretty miserable thru Friday.   Took out catheter Saturday am and stopped oxy.   iced all day Saturday alternating with taking off sling and straightening arm and hand exercises.  felt great Saturday pm.    Sunday walked for an hour and alternated sling on/off all day doing hand/elbow exercises.  did ice machine after walk.   did not sleep with sling last night and have not worn today.  no real pain but have not used shoulder.  had all four torn tendons and bone spurs and loose debris.   first two days sucked but really happy with progress.  

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
2 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:
The nerve block on my reverse replacement only lasted about 18 hours, and then it was 10mg hydrocodone.

Doc said I was young for a replacement anyway (40) and he didnt want to kimp to a reverse out the gate. It would five me options as I get older.

The first 3 orthopedic surgeons I consulted refused to do a replacement for me at age 58, said I was too young.wtf?   If it's gone, it's gone and age doesn't have a damned thing to do with it. So by the time I found someone to do it at age 61 it had gotten so bad, it had to be a reverse replacement.  Totally, totally sucks. 

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

The first 3 orthopedic surgeons I consulted refused to do a replacement for me at age 58, said I was too young.wtf?   If it's gone, it's gone and age doesn't have a damned thing to do with it. So by the time I found someone to do it at age 61 it had gotten so bad, it had to be a reverse replacement.  Totally, totally sucks. 

How do you like reverse replacement?  my two surgeon consults said I was too young at 58.  even though one of my tendons was not fixable they said I will be ok with 3 and have options in the future.  

17 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

How do you like reverse replacement?  my two surgeon consults said I was too young at 58.  even though one of my tendons was not fixable they said I will be ok with 3 and have options in the future.  

I hate it.  Severely impeded range of motion, inadequate strength recovery, very limited in sleep positions.  Range of motion is so impaired it's very difficult to wash my opposite armpit.

My feet are f'd up. VA keeps slow walking me (pun intended) made me get orthopedic shoes first before I could see an orthopedist. Perfect sense. Now that I've jumped though that hoop, I have to get new x-rays and get reevaluated for a referral, but can't get elective done during the COVID-19 crisis. 

ajrj1WxH5GZPKlqhl7cmerWZqbE5ELdrazzDUFYY

On 5/31/2020 at 1:45 PM, tbone_ said:

No vaccine for me. I was 48 at the time. Seems like that’s younger than they typically give it.

I think i got shingles on my lower abdomen. it started at the peak of the pandemic, i just thought it was some kind of heat rash or something because it was at its worst when i was working out or riding the bike when i was sweaty. I wasn't going to go to the Dr for that at that point in time. been putting cortisone cream on it, still have scars but not really blistering any more. the fucked up thing is that came on shortly after my 51st birthday which from what i've read is young for shingles, but back in September (day of the LSU game in fact) I had to get my appendix removed. Nurse said "you're really old to need an appendectomy". I was not in the mood for her shit (especially since i went to ER right after the game) and my reply was "Well I was hoping I'd get a hot nurse"     

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think i got shingles on my lower abdomen. it started at the peak of the pandemic, i just thought it was some kind of heat rash or something because it was at its worst when i was working out or riding the bike when i was sweaty. I wasn't going to go to the Dr for that at that point in time. been putting cortisone cream on it, still have scars but not really blistering any more. the fucked up thing is that came on shortly after my 51st birthday which from what i've read is young for shingles, but back in September (day of the LSU game in fact) I had to get my appendix removed. Nurse said "you're really old to need an appendectomy". I was not in the mood for her shit (especially since i went to ER right after the game) and my reply was "Well I was hoping I'd get a hot nurse"     

And I’m guessing that was the last time your bed pan got emptied

25 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

And I’m guessing that was the last time your bed pan got emptied

She was doing the CT scan or whatever and wasn't going to be in charge of me after that.  Which reminds of another funny part...when I dragged myself in there I told them I was having appendicitis and they all said it had to be something else. It had progressively gotten worse all day after I lifted that morning and later through the afternoon,  and by gametime I was rather uncomfortable. Every symptom said it was the appendix. I didn't eat or drink anything because I knew how it was going to end

Had our second shingles shot Wednesday morning. My shoulder has had a 3” diameter red spot and is very sore to the touch. Can still sleep on that side ok though.

Mrs. Brat’s shoulder has a larger red spot anf just itches.

The first round of shots 3 months ago caused no discomfort. Hope these work, because I had a mild case of the shingles at age 19 and they sucked.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Had our second shingles shot Wednesday morning. My shoulder has had a 3” diameter red spot and is very sore to the touch. Can still sleep on that side ok though.

The first round of shots 3 months ago caused no discomfort. Hope these work, because I had a mild case of the shingles at age 19 and they sucked.

I had chicken pox at about 5 and I was under the impression that shingles was for old people breaking bad bullshit GIF

13 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I had the shingles shots (set of two 4-6 months apart) and after each shot within 12 hours felt like I had the flu. Fever, chills, achy and can’t get out of bed.  Lasted about 12 hours, then went away.  Weird AF. 

12 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

Happy Fathers Day old people. I'm 62 1/2 today. Ran 1 mile in Corpus conditions this am. 14:00. Been building towards it. Very pleased. Now to get back on the bicycle. Corpus is tough for cycling. Not overly trafficked,  but 15mph winds all day every day.

Get it bro!  Good job.

Fuck that sumbitch, if that mutherfucker knew how got damned jealous I was.... what wait...is this damned thing still on???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/19/2020 at 6:51 PM, Armybrat said:

First shot effects were much worse than second shot for me.

On 6/15/2020 at 4:26 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

My step dad was nearly 60 when he got appendicitis.

I had the shingles shots (set of two 4-6 months apart) and after each shot within 12 hours felt like I had the flu. Fever, chills, achy and can’t get out of bed.  Lasted about 12 hours, then went away.  Weird AF. 

My experience as well with both shots last year. The new vaccine came out a few months after I came down with shingles. I was 55.

I had a mild case of shingles about 5 years ago, so mid-50's. Somehow I knew almost immediately what was up and got it treated pretty quickly. Weird thing was I didn't remember ever having the pox upon me as a kid. Talked to one of my older brothers and apparently I had it around 3-4 years old. All that said, who do I see about these shots and are they a good idea? 

I had a mild case of shingles about 5 years ago, so mid-50's. Somehow I knew almost immediately what was up and got it treated pretty quickly. Weird thing was I didn't remember ever having the pox upon me as a kid. Talked to one of my older brothers and apparently I had it around 3-4 years old. All that said, who do I see about these shots and are they a good idea? 

CVS or Walgreens. My insurance paid 100%. They are considered very effective. The old shingles vaccine was not very effective and it was only recommended for people over 60. The new Shingrix is for people 50+. On your not remembering chicken pox, I’m guessing most people don’t remember having it. I don’t. Our parents made sure we all got it when we were very young because it’s no big deal for the tots. There actually were play dates with kids who were infected to make sure we would get it early.
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, HouTex said:

CVS or Walgreens. My insurance paid 100%. They are considered very effective. The old shingles vaccine was not very effective and it was only recommended for people over 60. The new Shingrix is for people 50+. On your not remembering chicken pox, I’m guessing most people don’t remember having it. I don’t. Our parents made sure we all got it when we were very young because it’s no big deal for the tots. There actually were play dates with kids who were infected to make sure we would get it early.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

yeah, I was aware of the chicken pox parties and from what my brother says that's what happened. We all had it at the same time, I was just too young to remember. 5 kids, kinda hard to keep us all from getting anything any one of us had even if you had wanted to. I do remember getting the measles when I was 7 or so but even that was pretty mild.

8 hours ago, El Diablo said:

It was free at Kroger with insurance. I’m mid 50’s also. 

A month or so I was hiking, birding through long wooded rocky trails through hills, carrying a camera with a huge lens. At one point I found myself emerge from the trees to find myself on top of a small mountain. I looked down from a clear spot at the peak and was shocked at where I had gotten myself. It was quite a ways down there from where I started. Had no idea I had been climbing. I was a bit tired, out of shape, but no struggles at all.

Last week after hardly doing anything active for several weeks, my left knee, usually my good one, decided to hurt. It started getting better a couple of days later, then my right knee, balky most of my life, just decided to shit the bed. For no apparent reason. I can hardly walk on it without making it worse. It gets a bit better with rest, but a few necessary treks up the stairs and it's back to feeling like a cripple. This sucks.

Have had borderline high cholesterol for several years.  Last doc just said statin (which I resisted because of side effects).  Recently changed primary care docs and new doctor recommended CT Calcium scan.  Got it yesterday, and score Zero.  So no calcification in scan and will not go too aggressive on cholesterol for the time being (follow up appointment with new doctor in Sept.

I'm kinda like Lili Von Shtupp... everything below the waist is kaput. My knees are bad and my feet are fubar with old breaks, arthritis and bone spurs. They just released Voltaren OTC anti-inflammatory topical gel. This shit is miracle cream. The pain stopped in 5 minutes and lasted for hours. I may grow a third eye later, but for now this is great.

My poor wife has a defective left side. First, she had shoulder surgery for a labral tear and impingement that required some bone to be removed. Frozen shoulder despite earnest efforts to follow rehab.

Next, she had arthritis in her spine which led to a fusion between L4 and L5 (IIRC). That surgery didn’t go well (surgeon kinda fucked up...long story...we aren’t supposed to discuss the details) and left her with nerve damage that affects her left leg and foot, gets worse over time. She’s even been to Mayo, but there’s nothing that can be done besides lots of meds and daily therapy/rehab. Luckily, she has “own occupation” disability insurance because she can no longer practice her medical specialty. The insurance companies have tried to fuck her over every time they change her case manager, but she’s got an iron clad policy, and we’re frankly smarter than them.

That fusion - we think - has contributed to a worsening of her sacroiliac joint arthritis, primarily on the left side. That is getting even more painful than the nerve damage to her left leg and foot. She might have to get bilateral SI fusion.

On Wednesday, she’s getting a left hip labral tear repaired laparoscopically, and as with the shoulder, bone will have to be removed. The recovery will be 4-6 weeks, but then the rehab will be complicated by the nerve damage to her left leg and foot. She is concerned that she will never recover to the level she’s at now which is well below 50% of normal.

She is much more conscientious of her health than I am yet I’m as strong as an ox (well, maybe an old, over-weight ox). Life’s not always fair. 

EDIT:

Oh, I forgot, she’s had carpal tunnel surgery on the left side (and right) as well as surgery to correct for a “trigger finger.”

Her vision is pretty good, but I’m sure it’s worse out of her left eye. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

• 2 weeks later...

My Dad had 18” of his colon removed when he was a few years younger than I am now due to Diverticulitis.

Had some minor issues a few weeks ago. Thought it was just dehydration due to a few unexpected home repairs, manual labor, summer heat, etc. Clearly, that was wrong. 

Second flare-up came roaring back on Wednesday night. Been miserable for days. Texted my doctor for an appointment (he’s also a friend). He’s got COVID, currently in quarantine. Well, shit...

Never had these issues before. A new experience. And quite humbling.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have you recovered from that gut problem?

It’s only been a week since Mrs. Brat’s foot surgery which has cut way down on her mobility during recovery, but I’m damn near worn out with the caregiving. It’s been a few years since all the household chores, running errands, & cooking were my responsibility .

Cuts into my Surly surfing quite a bit.

Five more weeks to go, hopefully.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Have you recovered from that gut problem?

It’s only been a week since Mrs. Brat’s foot surgery which has cut way down on her mobility during recovery, but I’m damn near worn out with the caregiving. It’s been a few years since all the household chores, running errands, & cooking were my responsibility .

Cuts into my Surly surfing quite a bit.

Five more weeks to go, hopefully.

Much thanks for asking, Brat!  Yes, after a trip to the PCP and the GI guy, a week's worth of antibiotics, quite a bit of fasting, and I'm feeling mostly normal again.  Gonna get scoped next week just to make sure all is normal with my plumbing.

And...I feel your pain, brother.  My 82 year old Dad is full-time caregiver to my 75 year old Mom, to his own detriment at time.  I try to make life as easy for them as I can, but I can't help but feel it has taken a drastic toll on his overall well-being.  

Take care of yourself as well...and try not to sweat the small stuff.  

Hopefully, some normalcy will be upon us all...eventually.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just spent three days helping my son and daughter in law move.  I have pressure bruises up and down my arms and all over my belly and chest, from carrying furniture and other heavy objects.  I look like I took the Tillamook County Lie Detector Test.  Partly because of the 80 mg aspirin I take every day (age related also).

Feeling blessed that I could still do it.  I have friends my age (70+) and younger who wouldn't have been able to do that. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I requested a joint in Hemi orange but the government said you'll take white and like it. Puts the lotion on the skin.

Had my 7 wk post-op yesterday and doc said ROM was good, some spots (rotator cuff flection) we're still limited but it would get better as we progress to strength training next week.

I'm actually surprised, no more lain oust the dull ache of stretching and PT but I'm happy with the progress.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1