Getting old sucks

Hate

10 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Never had the fever, but 5 weeks later, I'm still coughing like a motherfucker.   I literally coughed so hard this morning that I puked.  Former trumpet player, non-smoker.   This sucks. 

It sucks bug time. I never had the cough but the fatigue has been killer. Every time my fever spikes the fatigue hits. 

Last night my Labrador Retriever decided to move her usual sleeping spot on the floor which is usually on either side of the bed to the foot end.  I go to the bedroom at 12 or so and not paying attention because I can see in the dark room, I totally wipe out on the floor landing on her and breaking my glasses at the same time.  My 49 year olds self is feeling every bit of it this morning .  

• Like 1

On 10/4/2020 at 5:52 PM, Dbeasy said:

Every guy under 55 needs to read this post. If you’ve been putting off fun activities that require some strenuous physical activity, like hiking, skiing, etc. GO DO THEM STARTING NOW. You will be very bummed out when your body just seems to break down all of a sudden, making it difficult for you to do things. It can come out of nowhere and happen immediately.

QFT.

Both my shoulder are messed up. Right one when I fell off my bike. Left one just started hurting one day. I've putting up shelves in the garage and my shoulder is screaming bloody murder.

My knees have been popping a lot lately. At first it was just the right knee. Last month I went on a long hike with some very fit 60+ year olds. After that, my left knee started popping and it feels like my kneecap is about to drop down to my shin. Oh, and my left ankle has started popping.

5 years ago, I developed epilepsy. Mostly focal affecting reading, listening and speech, but I also had 2 grand mal ones seizures - the first one I was fortunate enough to be in the office where my coworker caught me while I fell face forward. The second one happened at home and I banged the right side of my head something fierce. My wife found me and said I wasn't breathing and turning purple.

Throw in a bout of heart palpitations earlier this year, highish (but dropping) A1C levels, and cholesterol in the 220s. If I get covid, I'm royally fucked.

8 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

How old were you guys when you started getting gray lines? Right now I have 2.  I have named them gandalf the gray and gandalf the white.

You mean gray hair? I started turning gray when I was 23, started dyeing my hair when I was 28, and stopped after my then girlfriend said yes to my proposal.

I'm 46 with a full head of white hair with wisps of black. Some people say it looks distinguished. Some people call me a silver fox. Some people assume my kids are my grandkids. Some people think I'm an old pervert dating a younger woman. But you can never tell with Asian women...

image.png.7a165fa2db6178dec2f4ac7d1765a57e.png

Edited by Superhero

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

QFT.

Both my shoulder are messed up. Right one when I fell off my bike. Left one just started hurting one day. I've putting up shelves in the garage and my shoulder is screaming bloody murder.

My knees have been popping a lot lately. At first it was just the right knee. Last month I went on a long hike with some very fit 60+ year olds. After that, my left knee started popping and it feels like my kneecap is about to drop down to my shin. Oh, and my left ankle has started popping.

5 years ago, I developed epilepsy. Mostly focal affecting reading, listening and speech, but I also had 2 grand mal ones seizures - the first one I was fortunate enough to be in the office where my coworker caught me while I fell face forward. The second one happened at home and I banged the right side of my head something fierce. My wife found me and said I wasn't breathing and turning purple.

Throw in a bout of heart palpitations earlier this year, highish (but dropping) A1C levels, and cholesterol in the 220s. If I get covid, I'm royally fucked.

Bubble wrap, dude

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My eye sight gets worse weekly. My vision held out a few years longer than my same-age friends and I would shake my head at their contortions to read menus in low light. Karma caught up to me. Fml.  Does it ever stabilize?

Seems to have stabilized in my 50s at +2.50. 

23 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

What the fuck is up with old man skin.  I barely hit may arm and I get a bruise.  When I work in the yard if I don't wear long sleeves I'll be bleeding all over the place.

I’m in this boat also.  Skin is dry and leathery on my legs.  Not a damn thing I can do about.  WTF?!

1 minute ago, Mother mopar said:
1 hour ago, Armybrat said:
40/60?
Sonny, wtf are you doing in this thread?

Side effects from a pituitary tumor that overproduced growth hormones for years before the military decided to do anything. Combined with radiation therapy and my joints are trashed. Sucks but a lot of folks have it worse.

Ah, welcome to the club then. 
You’re  lucky they didn’t remove your gall bladder instead. 

• Like 1

I haven't had shoulder surgery yet and I can still throw a football 30 yards on a dime.  I have to throw it damn near side arm, but I can still do it for a while.  I have no doubt that I will need replacement surgeries for both shoulders over the next 10 years.  It doesn't help at all to be a side sleeper. 

12 hours ago, Lat22 said:

One.  One book only.

I'll finally break my silence in this thread to laugh at those commercials. Freaking hilarious. 

The person taking the picture with the iPad slays me every time. 

And the one last night duding the title game throwing the "house signs" in the trash was pretty good, too. My 13 yo had to explain the "sitting in a chair and exhaling" gag and then he pointed out that I do it all the time. Little shit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I'll finally break my silence in this thread to laugh at those commercials. Freaking hilarious. 

And the one last night duding the title game throwing the "house signs" in the trash was pretty good, too. My 13 yo had to explain the "sitting in a chair and exhaling" gag and then he pointed out that I do it all the time. Little shit. 

My favorite is, "you woke up early...no one cares"  I've been known to whine to family and neighbors about lack of sleep and waking early

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’ve begun watching old military movies and documentaries at an uncomfortably high rate. Suddenly realized I watched my dad and FIL do the same thing when they got old. I’m old. Sigh. 

I watch WWII shows all the time. They are endlessly fascinating to me. Yes, I am old.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Started to really notice the gray hairs coming through when I glanced up at the rearview mirror yesterday.  Too many for 35.  At least I still have a full head of hair, but I'm thinking by 40 I'll be pretty much grey.

Shouldn't be too big of a surprise.  The relative I most resemble physically is my paternal grandpa, and he was on the same schedule.  He still has a full head of hair at 85, too, which none of his 5 sons, and at least 4 grandsons (I'm the oldest of the grandsons) can say.

This could probably be avoided if I had a less stressful job or quit reading the news.  I love my job, so I doubt I'll change that up.  Trying to spend less time paying attention to the news and social media.

On 1/12/2021 at 5:24 AM, crimsonlonghorn said:

I get the "we all see it" bit from my family all the time now.  I don't give a shit, it is impossible not to stare at some things.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I get the "we all see it" bit from my family all the time now.  I don't give a shit, it is impossible not to stare at some things.

The hair thing doesn’t bother me at all. That is something that can easily be changed. We’ve let our son spray some hair color on during the summertime as something fun to do. What I don’t understand is the ear grommet thing and I always look at those kids with a sense of “what the fuck is wrong with you”. There will come a day when they don’t want them any longer but they’ve fucked their ears up beyond repair. I put these people in the same category of neck and face tattoo people. I get that times have changed and it’s more acceptable now than in my younger years, but I will never understand it or find it appealing in any way.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

The hair thing doesn’t bother me at all. That is something that can easily be changed. We’ve let our son spray some hair color on during the summertime as something fun to do. What I don’t understand is the ear grommet thing and I always look at those kids with a sense of “what the fuck is wrong with you”. There will come a day when they don’t want them any longer but they’ve fucked their ears up beyond repair. I put these people in the same category of neck and face tattoo people. I get that times have changed and it’s more acceptable now than in my younger years, but I will never understand it or find it appealing in any way.

A tattoo is like pregnancy. A permanent reminder of a temporary feeling. 

• Hook 'Em 2