Getting old sucks

Hate

3 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

As they, your mileage may vary, but this is one of the things that seemed to help me:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QT7L1CZ?psc=1

The other thing that helped me was a few minutes of using my toes to pick up things like socks or golf balls.  After a few reps then would stretch the toes out---like imagine trying to reach to the sky with then.  I'm obviously not anything close to a doctor, but I'm rarely bothered by it 

I'll try this out.  Thank you

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Roll over a double lacrosse ball. It will loosen things up.

And Birkenstocks. Yes, I know how they look, like a 60s-70s hippie. But the cool kids have all been wearing them for a few years. Your plantar facie will thank you. 

Just turned 41 so I know I’m a spring chicken compared to most in this thread, but my body has fallen apart over the last 10 months:

Hair loss progressed rapidly; I’ll never go to a Barber again.  What’s cool is the added ear and back hair.

Blood pressure and cholesterol slightly elevated.  Was given 6 months to get it under control or otherwise will have to get on meds.

Early last year ran into severe chronic heartburn, which has led to a daily double dose of Nexium I evidently will never be able to stop.  Tried getting off of it after making diet changes and it came roaring back.

I wake up sore every day; neck, legs, back, something.  Even if I don’t do shit.

Eyesight is going.  Have been better than 20/20 up until a few years ago.  Can’t read street signs and menus.  Dreading getting checked and wearing glasses.

I cannot drink more than 4 drinks without being hungover the next day.

This month I have developed a chronic sore throat, but not a normal post nasal drip deal, it’s further down below my Adam’s apple.  Not sure if it’s from the heartburn, some new allergy, or what.

Lastly, this week I got a giant hemorrhoid that has rendered me crippled.  I got a small one 20 years ago but otherwise never had one.

I am at my ideal weight.  Don’t smoke.  Run 150 miles/yr.  3/4 of my grandparents lived to 85+ so I have longevity in my genes.  And I have young kids (2,5) who keep me active and give me reason to keep going.  But I have zero energy and if this is how the next 40 years is gonna go...well, fuck that.

• Rage+1 1

At the age of 50, I now have plantar fasciitis in both feet.  Has been hell trying to find shoes that don't kill my feet. When I wake up in the morning, I have to flex my feet back and forth for a few minutes so that I can half ass walk when I get out of bed.  

Thanks. Because of your post I now know what plantar fasciitis is and why my fucking heel hurts every morning.

20 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Just turned 41 so I know I’m a spring chicken compared to most in this thread, but my body has fallen apart over the last 10 months:

Hair loss progressed rapidly; I’ll never go to a Barber again.  What’s cool is the added ear and back hair.

Blood pressure and cholesterol slightly elevated.  Was given 6 months to get it under control or otherwise will have to get on meds.

Early last year ran into severe chronic heartburn, which has led to a daily double dose of Nexium I evidently will never be able to stop.  Tried getting off of it after making diet changes and it came roaring back.

I wake up sore every day; neck, legs, back, something.  Even if I don’t do shit.

Eyesight is going.  Have been better than 20/20 up until a few years ago.  Can’t read street signs and menus.  Dreading getting checked and wearing glasses.

I cannot drink more than 4 drinks without being hungover the next day.

This month I have developed a chronic sore throat, but not a normal post nasal drip deal, it’s further down below my Adam’s apple.  Not sure if it’s from the heartburn, some new allergy, or what.

Lastly, this week I got a giant hemorrhoid that has rendered me crippled.  I got a small one 20 years ago but otherwise never had one.

I am at my ideal weight.  Don’t smoke.  Run 150 miles/yr.  3/4 of my grandparents lived to 85+ so I have longevity in my genes.  And I have young kids (2,5) who keep me active and give me reason to keep going.  But I have zero energy and if this is how the next 40 years is gonna go...well, fuck that.

Get that reflux/sore throat checked.  Can lead to esophageal cancer.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 10:04 AM, Hate said:

I can’t sleep on planes because my wife can’t sleep. She hates flying and gets scared at the slightest noise or bump.

I cannot stay awake on the plane.  Pre-Covid I was flying 100K miles per year mainly on international flights. Never can do any in-depth work on the plane because I always doze off.  I usually just watch movies and do some crossword puzzles.

On 1/30/2021 at 10:29 AM, MC Fresh Breath said:

As they, your mileage may vary, but this is one of the things that seemed to help me:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QT7L1CZ?psc=1

The other thing that helped me was a few minutes of using my toes to pick up things like socks or golf balls.  After a few reps then would stretch the toes out---like imagine trying to reach to the sky with then.  I'm obviously not anything close to a doctor, but I'm rarely bothered by it now.

"fists with toes?"

• Hook 'Em 1

I have just read this thread in its entirety as I am just now discovering it.  This thread has made me laugh more so than any other thread on Surly.  Reality is better than fiction!

I will be 55 this summer and I am in fairly decent shape for my age.  I have only missed 2 days of work in 32 years due to illness. Strep throat once and a viral infection that the docs could not land on that gave me night sweats and temperature at night and an overall tiredness.  It eventually went away.

I am very active as I do a lot of hiking and I try to play full-court basketball 3 days a week.  Most of the guys I play with are 15 years or more younger than me and some are the age of my kids (25 and 28).  I try to play softball still but my vision screws with me.  I can still hit OK but trying to judge a pop-up is difficult while playing with or without glasses.  Contacts are out with me because I have a phobia about touching my eyeball.  It gives me the hibbee-jibbees.

I do take meds for high blood pressure and cholesterol (both hereditary).

A couple of years ago I was in Peru about to visit a mine-site at 14,000 feet plus in altitude and I was required to do a physical.  So there I am in a "clinic" in Lima having an EKG performed.  The doc did not like the result so they insisted that I do a stress test there on the spot.  I did an extended version of the test to ensure that I was OK.  Between my broken Spanish and his broken English it was determined that I had "blockage" in my heart but he still gave me clearance to go up to elevation and visit the mine.  Naturally I was a bit worried.  So I declined on visiting the mine.  I get the medical records from the clinic and bring them home with me.  I visit my GP and he does an EKG as well and gets the same result.  Now on to a cardiologist.  His first words were "hmmmm and ooooh". Not what you want to hear.  Major concern for me now.  So I ask.  He said that if it were a plumbing issue (blockage) then I would not have been successfully able to do the stress test to the extent that I did,  He said that I have an electrical issue.  One side of my heart fires just before the other side does.  The delay in the firing appears as a blockage.  He said that he could reset the timing but that I was probably born that way. Not too much to worry about. I did tell him that my heart races sometimes on its own.  He said that they would have to catch that when it is doing it to determine the real cause.  He speculated what it was but was not overly concerned.  Come to find out I have SVT but that is more scary than harmful.  Of course with me knowing what it is does not bother me anymore.  I control it with meds and when my heart does race I know how to bring it back down to a normal rate.  My cardiologist has suggested an ablation but with the frequency that I have an episode I have elected not to do that.

It does suck getting old as I do have a knee that clicks.  Have a big toe that hurts like a mother when the weather changes (an old high school football injury).  I do a lot more planning when I get ready to do something!

And yes, stretching is key.  Since Covid has disrupted basketball some and I find myself working from home more, I go for walks throughout the day, do several reps of pushups throughout the day, climb the stairwell in the house just sitting and using my arms to press, lift and propel myself upwards.  I go up the flight of stair just using my arms in about 30 to 35 seconds.  I also try to do planks and stretch throughout the day.

What bothers me the most is the acid reflux I get if I do not watch what I eat.  It burns like crazy but I usually just pop a Tums and I am Ok.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Thanks. Because of your post I now know what plantar fasciitis is and why my fucking heel hurts every morning.

About 10 to 15 years ago I had plantar fasciitis as well.  My podiatrist recommended 3/4 orthopedic inserts (plastic/foam combo) that had a pronounced arch support.  That worked for me within a couple of months.  Once it went away I quit using the inserts.  I have not had an issue since then.

On 1/30/2021 at 10:35 AM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Roll over a double lacrosse ball. It will loosen things up.

A really good thing is a frozen water bottle.  It helps relieve the pain and loosens shit up.  I had it a couple of years ago and after I got it to go away, it's never been back.

2 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

That worked for me within a couple of months.  Once it went away I quit using the inserts.  I have not had an issue since then.

49 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I had it a couple of years ago and after I got it to go away, it's never been back.

Yall are some fate-tempting mofos

• Hook 'Em 1

I have joint pain in both shoulders. Sort of a low grade hot pain that’s getting worse and more constant with time. Going on about two years now. Any recs for a supplement or cream? Anyone try cbd oils?
I've taken glucosamine and chondroitin pills for many years. It has helped but it only goes so far before it time to go under the knife....assuming PT hasn't helped.
  • Like 1

My feet are fubar, but it's not plantar fasciitis. The bones for my middle toes on both feet decided to have a growth spurt. Just call me Wolverine. Not really a solution surgically so I'm in orthopedic Dr Comfort shoes for now. They help a lot, but not enough. VA just did a mold of my feet and I'm getting custom orthotics to see if that improves things.

18 hours ago, BottleRocket said:

I have joint pain in both shoulders. Sort of a low grade hot pain that’s getting worse and more constant with time. Going on about two years now. Any recs for a supplement or cream? Anyone try cbd oils?

I have had some trouble with both shoulders as you describe.  My right shoulder is doing great now  but I think it is compromised from an injury in college.  Left is doing what yours is right now.  I aggravated it while building a bouldering wall in my garage.  Right now I am kind of reverse engineering things as I feel like the origin of the problem is in my upper back and neck area.  A lot of shoulder problems come from poor thoracic spine mobility and weakness.  We tend to get rounded shoulders and then go about our business, which impinges the tendons and sometimes nerves.

I have no recs from creams and lotions, but I would look at the the t-spine and see if you can get things going in the right direction there.  My right shoulder was giving me the business about a year ago and I got it cleared up with no MD or meds other than some Aleive.

For what its worth I am 54 and have been doing a lot of rock climbing at the gym and outdoors with my kids the last few years and my extra weight put on by covid (+15lbs in the last year) is really messing with me.  I recently had to stop climbing due to not only my shoulder, but a wrist issue and climber's elbow (basically golfers elbow) in both limbs.

The shitty thing about this is that I can't deal with the elbow issues because the rehab aggravates my left shoulder and my right wrist.  Additionally, climbers elbow does not fix itself with rest...and I have also had to stop playing classical guitar at use of my fretting hand aggravates my shoulder. 

I can walk, do squats, and elbow planks and that's about it.

On 1/31/2021 at 2:53 PM, deter said:

Get that reflux/sore throat checked.  Can lead to esophageal cancer.

On the bright side, I had a similar issues two years ago and got it checked out with no real problems.

No real issues.  Doc's basic explanation was that due to aging, sloppy diet, and drinking that some reflux was occurring (although I never had heartburn or any acid in my throat that I was aware of, just the sore throat).  He seemed to think it was a nerve in my stomach that got agitated.  He put me on Nexium for a week to get things calmed down and after that things went back to normal...just watch that late night eating, milk and booze.

On 1/29/2021 at 9:41 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I used to go to a lot of antique auctions with my ex.  I could fall asleep sitting up in a metal folding chair while the auctioneer was yelling and banging his gavel.

I fell asleep at the playground.  I layed down on a 4 X 4 that they used for the curbing surround.  Snored like a champ apparently.    

On 1/29/2021 at 4:38 PM, leaf said:

At the age of 50, I now have plantar fasciitis in both feet.  Has been hell trying to find shoes that don't kill my feet. When I wake up in the morning, I have to flex my feet back and forth for a few minutes so that I can half ass walk when I get out of bed.  

I can't imagine both feet. I've had it several times but only one foot at a time.

When you're sitting, roll your feet on a can. It helped a lot.

22 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

About 10 to 15 years ago I had plantar fasciitis as well.  My podiatrist recommended 3/4 orthopedic inserts (plastic/foam combo) that had a pronounced arch support.  That worked for me within a couple of months.  Once it went away I quit using the inserts.  I have not had an issue since then.

I got some 3/4 insert from Amazon and it helped a lot. I only got 1 pair, so I would switch them around to whichever pair of shoes I was wearing, but now I'm just lazy so they stay in the pair I wear most for work.

For home, I got a pair of these house shoes. They are amazingly comfortable. Buy one size up.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H1WC9R3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

My dad is 84 and has started wearing suspenders because his lack of a butt means that his pants keep falling down and because his body shape has changed belts don't feel comfortable.  He said to me "when you get to be my age you'll start understanding how suspenders are a very underrated part of a man's wardrobe."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

My dad is 84 and has started wearing suspenders because his lack of a butt means that his pants keep falling down and because his body shape has changed belts don't feel comfortable.  He said to me "when you get to be my age you'll start understanding how suspenders are a very underrated part of a man's wardrobe."

I would go back to the high wasted-over the belly pants if they were fashionable like they wore in the past.  The stomach is hard to keep in check the older you get.  Once it begins to pooch you are a goner no matter what you do. Plus heredity does not help.  Even when I was a work-out nut I never had a washboard stomach.  My arms, legs, chest all still look decent for my age but my stomach?  Holy hell.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Guess who dislocated his middle finger wiping his ass. Yeah, this guy did. Only the tip. Hurts like a mother. Looks like I better go get a bidet. I'll have to use my left hand in the meantime. Awkward.

Good news is that you still have the tight asshole of a 23 year old. Glass half full.

• Like 2

On 2/18/2021 at 8:59 AM, Litig8r said:

Fuck it I bought a Corvette yesterday.  Good thing is I don't have to put my hand on the ground to get out of it...

That's awesome. My Corvette story didn't have a happy ending. I ran up on one at the old Corvette Country in Austin. It was an 85, and about fifteen years old at the time. Never wrecked, I had an old truck they gave me $5500 for, paid cash for the other $4500. I loved that car. My wife hated it, and gave me shit about it every day for a solid year until I sold it. Traded it in for a new pickup. 

Closest I ever came to getting a divorce was over that car. She did shit I'd never seen her do before. Gave the keys to a friend of ours, and tried to talk him into taking it and driving by us and waving at us as he drove by. He wouldn't do it, cause guys understand that kind of shit. 

Anyway, for the next six months after I got rid of it, she'd keep asking me, "How do you like the new pick up?"

I'd tell her, "It's a pickup. It's fine."

She finally started saying, "If I knew how much you liked the Corvette, I wouldn't have mentioned selling it."

This ought to be on the "Wives" thread. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1