Getting old sucks

Hate

Spent 2-3 hours in the ER today thinking I was having a heart attack.  Heart is fine or if it isn’t they couldn’t find it. Driving to the ER I said I’m not going to be that person who dies when all they had to do was go to the ER. Then I thought - oh shit I’m going to the ER and it got worse. Walked in with chest pain, shortness of breath, confusion and dizziness.  Still have no idea. Going to get a stress test or CT scan soon, will check for everything from a pinched nerve to muscle issues or she mentioned lining of the lungs. Don’t know just know I would have never driven to the ER even five years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Damn @troph. Keep us updated.

I hope I'm smart enough to go to the hospital but I know I'm stubborn enough to say "Meh, I'll be fine". 

That was the exact conversation in my head. I basically said don’t be so proud that you die silly bean. Next thing I want to run a red light.

7 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Damn. That sounds distressing.

Does it still hurt? Could it be Pleurisy? I had that once and it’s pretty fucked up. Similar symptoms.

They said it could be that. We talked about a pinched nerve too. Could be something else or I’m just batshit cray cray. :)  Follow up Monday for further testing.  I’ll keep my eye out for white jackets they ask me to wear.

Edited by troph

On 3/28/2021 at 11:51 AM, RPM said:

Woke up 2 days ago and all of the sudden it felt like somebody shoved an icepick into my neck. I don't remember getting into a car wreck.

The out of nowhere neck pain when I woke up in my early forties was where it started for me too. It’s all downhill from here bro. 😕

Edited by troph

12 minutes ago, troph said:

The out of nowhere neck pain when I woke up in my early forties was where it started for me too. It’s all downhill from here bro. 😕

Yeah, that was in 2002 along with lower back and sciatica.

8 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Went to sleep on Monday fine. Woke up on Tuesday and my heel felt like it was in a vise. Lasted two days and was barely able to walk. WTF kind of shit is that?

Foot aids.  Cut it off. Yeah that’s PF and it suuuuuks. Took me almost a year to recover. But I pound my heels on the tennis court like Vic ... ack don’t want the visual never mind. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Actually I think for most PF usually represents in the morning when you wake up but within 15-20 mins you can be ok. Then it comes back after exercise. I guess some folks  have it all the time.  Could be a bone spur too. But if it’s early signs of PF it’s super annoying but with orthotics and stretching you’ll be fine - that’s what I did. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, troph said:

Foot aids.  Cut it off. Yeah that’s PF and it suuuuuks. Took me almost a year to recover. But I pound my heels on the tennis court like Vic ... ack don’t want the visual never mind. 

I've been playing Pickleball a bunch and figured that had something to do with it

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, maninblack said:

Went to sleep on Monday fine. Woke up on Tuesday and my heel felt like it was in a vise. Lasted two days and was barely able to walk. WTF kind of shit is that?

10 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Plantar fasciitis

Yup, PF suuuuuuuuucccccckkkkkssss. Stretching and inserts are your friend. Also get a pair of these bad boys. Orthopedic slippers to wear around the house.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H1WC9R3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.png.09796bd7d31cfc7666d8479ada9b4c0e.png

It is one of the best purchases I made in 2020. If it was socially acceptable to wear slippers going out, I'd wear these everywhere I go.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, troph said:

It was surreal man. “Ok I’ll go to the ER” I told myself. “Holy shit I’m going to the ER!!”  I screamed at myself. 

Been there man, and just the thought of going to an ER is terrifying. Unfortunately I've been to the ER at least 4 times in the past 5 years.

First was when my seizures first started, and I couldn't make sense of anything my family was saying to me. I drove myself to the hospital confused at the world. This eventually led to 2 more ER visits after grand mal seizures where I slammed my head on the countertop and ground.

Last one was when I had BAAAADDD heart palpitations. My BIL drove me to the ER. The docs couldn't find anything wrong with me even though my heart was fluttering like crazy. Bad thoughts entered my brain - feeling completely helpless on a gurney, wondering who's gonna raise my kids if I die.

2.5 years later, I'm still alive. Which is nice. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/25/2021 at 4:34 PM, SHOOTER12 said:

Question for you infection types.  Might be silly but here goes.  Do you think some people are more prone to staph infections than others.  In high school we had one guy on the football team that fought staph infections at least once a year all four years of high school.  I can't remember any other of my teammates ever having it.

that's usually because staph has colonized somewhere that he has contact with...staph is hard as fuck to kill and decolonize.  you basically have to assume it's everywhere and do something equivalent to a complete HAZMAT intervention to get it eradicated.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ugh - daughter/SIL & 16 month old granddaughter (aka "Walking Petri Dish") visited this weekend.  They had been sick > a week ago, but were feeling fine themselves, so we thought things were okay for their visit.  Saturday night both Mrs. R and I had the worst projectile vomiting experiences of our lives (at separate times and *not* on each other, you sickos).

It was so bad that my ribs *STILL* hurt on Monday... as in (sneeze) "ow!" (cough) "OW!" (whimper).

Somehow, I don't remember my ribs hurting from similar events caused by "post-hangover fallout" when I was younger.  I mean, this wasn't a hangover - but damn. 

"Getting Old Sucks ™"

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

True story from before I was this old, when I was about fifty. 

So, I'm running a fire academy, and had a pretty bad respiratory infection. Coughed, and gave myself an inguinal hernia. Have to go to surgery.

Have the surgery, no lifting anything over twenty pounds for ten days, etc. We go to the metroplex for live fire training six days after the surgery. 

One guy in the class is a full blown pussy, every time he gets a booboo, he's laying on the ground pissing and moaning. 

We've made it through three days of training, and are on the last drill of the last day. I'm leaning on a railing, watching the last drill, about 3:30 PM, feeling like shit, and thinking, "all we have to do is finish this drill, and we can pack up and head home."

So, pussy boy and another guy are doing a rescue, and they're carrying a 165 pound dummy down an exterior stairwell. Pussy boy is on the bottom, trips, falls down about eight feet of concrete stairs and lands on his back with the rescue dummy and the other trainee on top of him. 

I'm watching this, thinking, "get up, get up," and he goes, "Oh, my back!"

This tells you what a selfish SOB I am, cause the first thought that went through my head was, "Everything happens to me."

So, spinal immobilization, ambulance, metroplex hospital ER, which is like a combination of a minimum security prison and a line to get into a ZZ Top concert in 1978. 

We're in there about two hours, and he tells me, "Chief, I think my back's okay. I think I can go."

"You shut up! You shut the hell up! You jumped on this log ride and we're taking it to the end!"

You know how an ER is. As soon as they figure out you're not dying, they ignore you for hours. 

Finally got out about 2 AM and made it back home about 5 AM. 

tl;dr: hernias suck.

Edited by Richard Kimball

True story from before I was this old, when I was about fifty. 
So, I'm running a fire academy, and had a pretty bad respiratory infection. Coughed, and gave myself an inguinal hernia. Have to go to surgery.
Have the surgery, no lifting anything over twenty pounds for ten days, etc. We go to the metroplex for live fire training six days after the surgery. 
One guy in the class is a full blown pussy, every time he gets a booboo, he's laying on the ground pissing and moaning. 
We've made it through three days of training, and are on the last drill of the last day. I'm leaning on a railing, watching the last drill, about 3:30 PM, feeling like shit, and thinking, "all we have to do is finish this drill, and we can pack up and head home."
So, pussy boy and another guy are doing a rescue, and they're carrying a 165 pound dummy down an exterior stairwell. Pussy boy is on the bottom, trips, falls down about eight feet of concrete stairs and lands on his back with the rescue dummy and the other trainee on top of him. 
I'm watching this, thinking, "get up, get up," and he goes, "Oh, my back!"
This tells you what a selfish SOB I am, cause the first thought that went through my head was, "Everything happens to me."
So, spinal immobilization, ambulance, metroplex hospital ER, which is like a combination of a minimum security prison and a line to get into a ZZ Top concert in 1978. 
We're in there about two hours, and he tells me, "Chief, I think my back's okay. I think I can go."
"You shut up! You shut the hell up! You jumped on this log ride and we're taking it to the end!"
You know how an ER is. As soon as they figure out you're not dying, they ignore you for hours. 
Finally got out about 2 AM and made it back home about 5 AM. 
tl;dr: hernias suck.

you have a hernia from coughing and the guy who had 165 lbs of dead weight fall on him after he fell ~8 feet on to concrete... and he’s the vagina.
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Litig8r said:

Played 18 holes of golf yesterday..with a cart...today my knees feel like they have loose sharp metal in them...Getting old Sucks

Isn’t there someone you can sue for that?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Still trying to figure out chest pain but current thinking is it might be a rare Pfizer vaccine side effect - pericarditis - inflammation of the outer lining / sack of the heart. Going to see a cardiologist who is writing a paper on what he’s seeing. He’s seen this a handful of times in the last couple of weeks. It’s a known moderna rare side effect.

Sounds bad, feels awful, huge distraction, hard time focusing, I’m exhausted, but they are telling me to avoid exercise and it will resolve in a week or two. If the cause was a real infection they would be very worried. They want to confirm but that’s the most concrete answer I’ve had.

So I feel like I’m having a heart attack all the time but nothing is wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

I didn’t pay a whole lot of attention to the big 10 stuff but heart infections is a thing with covid and this is what happens then you die I guess.  This won’t progress is the thing - if they are right it’s a side effect.

It’s freaking bizarre I walked out of the hospital confirmed heart in great health, athlete’s resting heart rate, normal BP, enzymes checked out, chest X-ray negatory, all good. Yet I feel like I’m about to fall over dead some times.  Really can’t wait to get a definitive answer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1