Getting old sucks

Hate

15 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Substitute a white '65 Ford F100 like the one pictured below and my first truck experience was similar. Straight six, three-on-the-tree manual, floor dimmer, pull choke and "Twin I-Beam" front suspension. I hated the thing. Looking back, I don't know wtf was wrong with me.

1965-f100.jpg

1965-f100-interior.jpg

F100-1.jpeg

My first vehicle was this 1964 F-100, 223 straight six, 3 on the tree, dual exhausts and glass packs. Really loud, but REALLY slow. Modified to run on propane (dad worked for natural gas company that had a program to modify vehicles. Also he didn't like the gas tank literally in the cab behind the seat.) Traded that for a 1972 Bronco.

Still wish I had both of them.

Edited by SurlyORama
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Ford blew it by not bringing back a slightly modernized version of this bad boy when they revived the Bronco name

I completely agree.  The new Broncos don't even give a nod to their past. 

10 hours ago, Armybrat said:

My first car was a used 1960 MGA Roadster that looked just like this one. The coeds loved it.

10AB0C0C-C2DC-44CC-A738-EB9D5BD05CAA.jpeg

10 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Loved those (and the MGB's and Midgets) -- keeping them running was a lot of work.

Had a Midget for a while. Lots of fun to drive, but every part that fell off of that car was of the finest British craftsmanship. 

Electrical was a nightmare. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

Had a Midget for a while. Lots of fun to drive, but every part that fell off of that car was of the finest British craftsmanship. 

Electrical was a nightmare. 

Lucas Electrics - Prince of Darkness.. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Hate said:

I completely agree.  The new Broncos don't even give a nod to their past. 

Literally just saw one on the freeway...it was worse than I thought.  If you told me it was a Subaru I would have believed it. 

Someone (Dodge?)needs to put out a full sized 2 door SUV with a roll down back window and swinging rear gate. 

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

A Bird Of My Youth: 1978 Pontiac Trans Am – Barn Finds

My first car was a blue 77 (pictured is a 78 but looked identical to pic) T/A 6.6.    I even had Cragar Super Sports on it.  Started working and saving for it the year Smokey and the Bandit came out; bought it my sophomore year in hs (82).

Wow that's really loud..

Yeah thanks

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Literally just saw one on the freeway...it was worse than I thought.  If you told me it was a Subaru I would have believed it. 

Someone (Dodge?)needs to put out a full sized 2 door SUV with a roll down back window and swinging rear gate. 

What you’re seeing on the streets are the new Bronco Sport. It’s a glorified escape. A true chick car, and like you point out, much like a Subaru. I think Ford’s making a huge mistake rolling that out there before the real Bronco was ready for prime time. And the microchip shortages mean it’s delayed even more. Now everyone thinks those Bronco Sports are the new Bronco, and Ford’s killing any chance it had to differentiate itself from the horrible new Blazer from GM. 

The real Bronco is not at all a glorified Subaru, and has all kinds of nods to the Bronco past. They look a lot like the 1960s Broncos, and are much better looking than the F150-base Broncos from the 1970s, IMHO. https://automotivemap.com/ford-bronco-history-comparison-2646401543.html

I love the new Bronco. I’ll buy one in a couple of years, after the new model bugs are worked out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, nnm said:

What you’re seeing on the streets are the new Bronco Sport. It’s a glorified escape. A true chick car, and like you point out, much like a Subaru. I think Ford’s making a huge mistake rolling that out there before the real Bronco was ready for prime time. And the microchip shortages mean it’s delayed even more. Now everyone thinks those Bronco Sports are the new Bronco, and Ford’s killing any chance it had to differentiate itself from the horrible new Blazer from GM. 

The real Bronco is not at all a glorified Subaru, and has all kinds of nods to the Bronco past. They look a lot like the 1960s Broncos, and are much better looking than the F150-base Broncos from the 1970s, IMHO. https://automotivemap.com/ford-bronco-history-comparison-2646401543.html

I love the new Bronco. I’ll buy one in a couple of years, after the new model bugs are worked out. 

shooting star GIF

3 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

img.jpg?width=980

How do you like them apples?

27 minutes ago, nnm said:

Ford has done some weird things. They killed the original Ranger, which was extremely popular. They killed the Bronco, which was popular. They took the Thunderbird from being a cool sports car to a bloated family car, then killed it. 

They nearly killed the Mustang by turning it into an econobox until someone figured out there was still a market for the real Mustang. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

b1-2-e1460459033592.jpg
My first car was a blue 77 (pictured is a 78 but looked identical to pic) T/A 6.6.    I even had Cragar Super Sports on it.  Started working and saving for it the year Smokey and the Bandit came out; bought it my sophomore year in hs (82).

You win.

2 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

Ford has done some weird things. They killed the original Ranger, which was extremely popular. They killed the Bronco, which was popular. They took the Thunderbird from being a cool sports car to a bloated family car, then killed it. 

They nearly killed the Mustang by turning it into an econobox until someone figured out there was still a market for the real Mustang. 

Not only did they kill the Bronco, they first miniaturized it with a Bronco II which was shit. 

To clarify,  I like that other Bronco model that @nnm posted. But that is a jeep copy, not really a Bronco. 

8 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

A Bird Of My Youth: 1978 Pontiac Trans Am – Barn Finds

a friend of mine had an olds/automatic version of this in high school and college until it caught fire just outside of bastrop. 

1 hour ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

First car... 69 Buick Wildcat ...Grandma gave it to me.  Gas hog.  430 with a 4 barrel.

spacer.png

First car I bought... 77 Plymouth Trailduster

spacer.png

It was white with white wheels.  Rear lift window would squeak like a mofo.

Getting old may suck, but talking about your first set of wheels never gets old. 

• Like 2

Since three am it has felt like some has tied my inside in knots and has been trying to pull them of my navel with a pair of needle nose pliers.  I’ve farted, sharted, belched, and burped enough gas today to float a weeks worth of Vic’s dates away in a hot air ballon.  This has been by far the most miserable day in a life that has included passing at least 5 kidney stones (one while suffering from a bout of shingles), a vasectomy, and two divorces. This shit has laughed at gas X maximum strength.  I think I may be able to roll over and get my 9 mm out of the night stand.  If this is my last post let my epitaph be “I was a surly asshole”

Since three am it has felt like some has tied my inside in knots and has been trying to pull them of my navel with a pair of needle nose pliers.  I’ve farted, sharted, belched, and burped enough gas today to float a weeks worth of Vic’s dates away in a hot air ballon.  This has been by far the most miserable day in a life that has included passing at least 5 kidney stones (one while suffering from a bout of shingles), a vasectomy, and two divorces. This shit has laughed at gas X maximum strength.  I think I may be able to roll over and get my 9 mm out of the night stand.  If this is my last post let my epitaph be “I was a surly asshole”

Diverticulitis?

17 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

8 hours ago, DaysOff said:

Diverticulitis?

This. Welcome to the party pal. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
On 3/12/2021 at 10:18 AM, closetohumping said:
I work out pretty religiously.  My kid is kind of a sloth at 14.  Raced for a mile and he smoked me.

Yep. I work out regularly. My 14 year old doesn't do much. He can absolutely kill me going down a ski run.

I have become the tortoise in the race. No longer the hare. I am still very active and do a lot of things that others my age are not doing, it just takes a while! I do a lot of hiking and such and it seems like everyone I come across on the trail are my kid’s age.

6 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

If it took Brock Lesnar down for a while it must be a motherfucker...my sympathies 

Do not underestimate the power of a sesame or poppy seed. Like f'n delay action mines.

Coworkers don't object to my frequent fartenvapin breaks. It's in everyone's best interest.

Edited by RPM

Put this on the vax thread - I finally feel normal again. Still have tests on Monday but I’m expecting a nothing burger report waste of time. BP is returning back to normal too. 117/78 this AM. Y’all can have the old age thread back now. Though I’m sure I’ll be back when I resume exercise and wonder where did my endurance and muscle tone go in the last two-three weeks? 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, troph said:

Put this on the vax thread - I finally feel normal again. Still have tests on Monday but I’m expecting a nothing burger report waste of time. BP is returning back to normal too. 117/78 this AM. Y’all can have the old age thread back now. Though I’m sure I’ll be back when I resume exercise and wonder where did my endurance and muscle tone go in the last two-three weeks? 

Did you just get vaxxed or did you get COVID. I got COVID in January, and my pulse ox is just now getting back to normal range. Still a little below normal. Could do four miles non-stop (I'm 66, not a fast four) but now, maybe 1 1/2 miles. It's getting better, but it takes time. 

19 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

Did you just get vaxxed or did you get COVID. I got COVID in January, and my pulse ox is just now getting back to normal range. Still a little below normal. Could do four miles non-stop (I'm 66, not a fast four) but now, maybe 1 1/2 miles. It's getting better, but it takes time. 

Just the vax. There are reports of rare side effects like what I experienced. We won’t know here I’m already feeling better and no diagnosis.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

17 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I can now add diverticulitis with an abscess to my list of old people infirmities that I can confirm suck really bad.  Waiting to talk to the surgeon.

Good luck on the outcome. Mine isn't bad enough to require surgery... yet. But you now have a season pass to Colonoscopy Land. It's a shitty place.

• Haha 1

My ass surgeon said the abscess was in a location where they can’t drain it by sticking a tube up my ass and is big enough that they would normally due surgery, but he wants to try and see if we can get it to heal without cutting out 4 inches of my intestines.  Hopefully I’ll be out of the hospital this weekend, but it looks like no alcohol and a mush diet for a while.  Hopefully Horns baseball will help me out and not try to drive me to drink

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My ass surgeon said the abscess was in a location where they can’t drain it by sticking a tube up my ass and is big enough that they would normally due surgery, but he wants to try and see if we can get it to heal without cutting out 4 inches of my intestines.  Hopefully I’ll be out of the hospital this weekend, but it looks like no alcohol and a mush diet for a while.  Hopefully Horns baseball will help me out and not try to drive me to drink

What the hell does no alcohol have to do with the situation? Seems like it would only help. 

6 hours ago, nnm said:

What the hell does no alcohol have to do with the situation? Seems like it would only help. 

Ahem, speaking as a person who has made many emergency medical calls on citizens, I can state categorically that every time I went on a call where someone had something stuck up their ass, alcohol was involved. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/16/2021 at 5:45 PM, Richard Kimball said:

Ahem, speaking as a person who has made many emergency medical calls on citizens, I can state categorically that every time I went on a call where someone had something stuck up their ass, alcohol was involved. 

Yeah, I imagine being drunk helped you deal with all those calls.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2