Getting old sucks

Hate

20 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Question for those over age, say, 45:  Is pain all the time now just part of the deal?  The last year or so I have had pain of one kind or another every day.  I'm beginning to wonder if that's ever going to change.

51 year old dude chiming in, but no...constant, daily pain isn't normal. Even if it's transient. Talk to your doc.

None of it is unbearable, but it does slightly affect my quality of life.  My biggest thing right now is pain on the bony protrusion on inside of elbow, commonly referred to as "golfer's elbow."  Except, I don't play golf and I don't have any other type of repetitive motion that would cause such a thing.  It's very tender and can sometimes be such a sharp pain in certain positions or movements that can affect my grip or movement.

Have also had right heel/foot pain for the better part of a year.  Figured it was from running more during COVID when there wasn't shit else we could do except go to the running trail.  Except I haven't been running as much and it still hurts pretty regularly. I limp, especially in the morning. I figure probably garden variety arthritis.

Now my shoulder is fucking up.  Lots of crunching and grating sounds when I rotate my arm in circles.  Painful at times. I think I've tied this to bench pressing on a flat bench.  Starting lifting more when the gym opened back up and we stopped going to the running trail.

Anyway, just seems like it's always something over the past couple of years.  I don't think I've had a day pain free in over a year.  Got an appt. with ortho on Monday.  When they asked what was wrong with me I said "old age." The girl was like, no really, what's wrong with you.  So I said, "elbow, shoulder, heel, neck and back, pretty much in that order."  We'll see what the doc says.

Is your elbow pain on your mouse arm? My whole right arm (wrist, elbow, shoulder) is a bit tender from using the computer mouse with that arm for all these years. An elbow brace may help. Sleeping with them on can be especially helpful.

Stretching helps with a lot of things. Part of it, I think, is that your tendons start to be able to not quite take it anymore, even though your muscles still can, and so the tendons get sore and they take forever to heal.

54 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

None of it is unbearable, but it does slightly affect my quality of life.  My biggest thing right now is pain on the bony protrusion on inside of elbow, commonly referred to as "golfer's elbow."  Except, I don't play golf and I don't have any other type of repetitive motion that would cause such a thing.  It's very tender and can sometimes be such a sharp pain in certain positions or movements that can affect my grip or movement.

Have also had right heel/foot pain for the better part of a year.  Figured it was from running more during COVID when there wasn't shit else we could do except go to the running trail.  Except I haven't been running as much and it still hurts pretty regularly. I limp, especially in the morning. I figure probably garden variety arthritis.

Now my shoulder is fucking up.  Lots of crunching and grating sounds when I rotate my arm in circles.  Painful at times. I think I've tied this to bench pressing on a flat bench.  Starting lifting more when the gym opened back up and we stopped going to the running trail.

Anyway, just seems like it's always something over the past couple of years.  I don't think I've had a day pain free in over a year.  Got an appt. with ortho on Monday.  When they asked what was wrong with me I said "old age." The girl was like, no really, what's wrong with you.  So I said, "elbow, shoulder, heel, neck and back, pretty much in that order."  We'll see what the doc says.

I am at the age (almost 55) where I have to start determining the fine line of staying active and over doing it. It doesn’t take much to irritate something so yes, I have almost “chronic aches” but I can usually attribute it to something. I know my body well enough to know if something just hurts or there is an injury.

I have always been super active (mainly through physical sports) so turning it down a bit is trial and error.

14 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Question for those over age, say, 45:  Is pain all the time now just part of the deal?  The last year or so I have had pain of one kind or another every day.  I'm beginning to wonder if that's ever going to change.

If it's mostly in your ass consult either a proctologist or a divorce lawyer

15 hours ago, pantone159 said:

Is your elbow pain on your mouse arm? My whole right arm (wrist, elbow, shoulder) is a bit tender from using the computer mouse with that arm for all these years. An elbow brace may help. Sleeping with them on can be especially helpful.

Stretching helps with a lot of things. Part of it, I think, is that your tendons start to be able to not quite take it anymore, even though your muscles still can, and so the tendons get sore and they take forever to heal.

Yes, and I've thought maybe the mouse was it.  Just seems like such a small movement.  But, I guess anything you spend 8+ hours a day doing can add up.

Yes, and I've thought maybe the mouse was it.  Just seems like such a small movement.  But, I guess anything you spend 8+ hours a day doing can add up.

I’ve found some really stupid ways of creating pain. A couple of years ago I had really bad pain in my calves. It took me a couple of weeks of this to realize that it was because of the way I was crossing my feet while sitting. I had a tendency to do it while working and eating. I had to consciously make an effort not to do it and the pain went away pretty quickly. I found other ways including being too hunched over while working on my laptop causing pain in my shoulders/neck. Getting old does indeed suck, but it also requires a bit of toughness.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I switched to a left-handed mouse about 20 years ago. I’m right hand dominant, and don’t do much else left handed. But I was starting to feel something like carpal tunnel symptoms back then and figured it would be easy enough to train myself to use the mouse left-handed. It took a while, but I made the transition, and it’s the only way I use a mouse now. 

1 minute ago, nnm said:

I switched to a left-handed mouse about 20 years ago. I’m right hand dominant, and don’t do much else left handed. But I was starting to feel something like carpal tunnel symptoms back then and figured it would be easy enough to train myself to use the mouse left-handed. It took a while, but I made the transition, and it’s the only way I use a mouse now. 

I just moved my mouse to the left of the keyboard. It really worked.

• Like 1

This is virtually identical to the hand-me-down car my brother and I drove for a couple years in high school.  The steering was horrible, you could turn the wheel through a 90 degree arc with no effect on the wheels.  We just drove it to school every day and left the keys in it.  One day came out and it was gone.  We thought - Oh well.  Called it in to the cops.  Two days later it was recovered about half a mile from where it was taken, parked in an alley, keys still in it.  Family Truckster, indeed.

ignitetheflame 1977 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser Specs, Photos, Modification  Info at CarDomain

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, nnm said:

That sounds like a good idea, I may try that. I did switch to a trackball for a while when my wrist had it really bad, and the change in motion helped, but really trackballs are more annoying to use than a mouse plus harder to point. But I am 100% that long term mouse use can wreck your whole arm.

Mine stopped when I stopped eating wheat and started eating lazy keto. The average diet has a lot of inflammatory foods. Before I eliminated wheat my joints hurt all the time. Knees, fingers.

Went to my PA to get my butt cheek loaded up with hormones (BioTE) earlier and we actually discussed that. She was concerned because I've lost about 7 lbs since last visit.

I'm also left handed and switch out mouse sides all the time, that pain can get bad.

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I just moved my mouse to the left of the keyboard. It really worked.

Yep.  I started doing this after month one of the pandemic.  I normally travel for business a bunch -- I'd been sitting in one position in my home office all day for way too long.  Pain has gone away.

Just checked webmd...sounds like you have weeks, maybe even days left. Good bye and good luck
  • Haha 3

On 4/19/2021 at 6:59 PM, Ojo Rojo said:

I'd bet money that the heel pain is plantar fasciatis (sp?). Look it up. Took me almost two years to completely get rid of it. Caused by running too much when too old.

I'd bet money that the heel pain is plantar fasciatis (sp?). Look it up. Took me almost two years to completely get rid of it. Caused by running too much when too old.

Not just by running. Get shoes that properly support your arches, get a lacrosse ball to roll your foot on. Take care of it as fast as possible. I've had it in my left foot for 18 months. Almost gone, but it's a bitch.

45 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Got my first (of probably many) cortisone injection in my right inner elbow.  Doc said it's standard tendinitis.  We did not pinpoint a cause.  Surprisingly he did not think it was mouse usage.  Who knows?  Hopefully cortisone will work its magic.

Cortisone in the long run can be hard on the body.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Got my first (of probably many) cortisone injection in my right inner elbow.  Doc said it's standard tendinitis.  We did not pinpoint a cause.  Surprisingly he did not think it was mouse usage.  Who knows?  Hopefully cortisone will work its magic.

You should probably switch to left handed. Not talking about mouse usage tho

9 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
3 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:
Cortisone in the long run can be hard on the body.

I've been told this more than a few times by the orthopedic docs when I was getting shots in my shoulders.

Yep same here. Left shoulder wound up with a reverse replacement, still got the right to go.

Just went back and checked on some people I went to junior high with at the class reunion sites for the two high schools they fed into. 

Shit, a lot of people are dead. 

Our starting quarterback on the 9th grade team turned into a druggie, shot his wife to death and got life in prison. That didn't make it onto the reunion sites. Of the other two junior high school hotshots, one got cancer and died in 1986. The other apparently ended up in Huntsville for dealing drugs, with another of the classmates serving as a guard, there. 

My best friend from those years died last year. I think it was from COVID, which makes me feel pretty fortunate that I spent ten days in the hospital, and am out and healthy now. 

Part of what was surprising was the randomness of the people who died. Some of them were the student council hot shots, some druggies, some were just the kids that faded into the background of the school tableau. Some were murdered, some had kidney disease, some cancer. I did notice some of the most beautiful girls died young, or at least before age sixty, which seems a lot younger now than it used to. 

Switched providers at VA because I wasn't happy with the PA they dealed me off to. New doc listened to my complaints and now I'm having my first stress test in 10 years and a chest xray. Haven't had either since I joined VA in 2009 a couple of years after my angioplasty. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RPM said:

Switched providers at VA because I wasn't happy with the PA they dealed me off to. New doc listened to my complaints and now I'm having my first stress test in 10 years and a chest xray. Haven't had either since I joined VA in 2009 a couple of years after my 

Cool.  I went to my doc with chronic back pain in my SI joint for over a year.  He suggested paprika and ginger or some shit.  Perhaps I need a new doc and F Baylor, Scott, and White.

Two years ago I herniated a disc.  I know this was the case because it had happened twice before.  Exact same pain and symptoms.  I was bed-ridden for 2 weeks.  (Luckily it was summertime and I'm a teacher.) Anyway, they didn't do shit except refer me to PT.  Pretty cool to think about PT when I couldn't get out of the effing bed.

5 hours ago, RPM said:

Switched providers at VA because I wasn't happy with the PA they dealed me off to. New doc listened to my complaints and now I'm having my first stress test in 10 years and a chest xray. Haven't had either since I joined VA in 2009 a couple of years after my angioplasty. 

Had a stress test in January at Cooper Clinic. They required a mask for the stress test. That sucked. 

On 5/10/2021 at 11:35 AM, RPM said:

Sitting here waiting on the results, but it went well. I'm definitely doing the drugs version again if I have a choice. MUCH better than running on the treadmill.

IMG_20210510_113019.jpg

I had to run on a treadmill once in Lima, Peru at a “clinic” prior to visiting a mine at elevation. Quite the experience I must say.

On 5/10/2021 at 11:35 AM, RPM said:

Sitting here waiting on the results, but it went well. I'm definitely doing the drugs version again if I have a choice. MUCH better than running on the treadmill.

IMG_20210510_113019.jpg

My last 5 stress tests have all been with the chemical injection.

The last treadmill test before those almost killed me.

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

My last 5 stress tests have all been with the chemical injection.

The last treadmill test before those almost killed me.

Forgot to update everything came back gtg. Nice to find out after my surgeon in '07 told me I wouldn't see 60. 11 mo to go mofo!

s-l640.jpg

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Yesterday was our 48th anniversary. Mrs themonkey and I are leaving for KC in a little bit to take in the KC/Det ballgame tomorrow evening. Going to spend a couple days afterwards at Lake of the Ozarks. Might rut like weasels but probably won't. You never know.

Bring two popsicle sticks and a rubber band, just in case.