Getting old sucks

Hate

13 hours ago, SurlyORama said:

A client of my brother (who owns a gym) had a knee replacement called a "Jiffy Knee". Avoids cutting through a lot of the muscles and tendons of a "traditional" replacement (the pic attached is him, you can see the incision is more to the side than the ones I'm used to seeing). He was walking with a cane and almost no apparent pain the day after the surgery. Played golf two weeks later. 

He was a former CEO for an insurance company you've heard of, so I tend to think this wasn't some fly-by-night experimental surgery.

If I ever need a knee replaced, I know I'll at least look into it.

Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 6.14.12 PM.png

Wow, is that a full replacement or partial? 

On 3/9/2024 at 8:56 AM, troph said:

Yeah I don’t totally follow your instructions but I’ve been using these…

image.jpg

foam roller on my calf to work out knots. The band to stretch my calf. 

I get a sports massage 2x a month and stretch the fuck out of my legs from my hips all the way down to my big toe. She hits all the pressure points. It’s not a resort style massage at all. 

I’m getting there. 

* to be fair, my heel is now like 95% okay for ordinary life, it’s playing singles tennis like I’m 30 that’s hard. 

This is a tough one to remember right after waking up, but before you get up out of bed, do the "The Thinker" stretch.  You know, this guy:

image.png.d072cb6a5beb20145df43360cd75b216.png

Scoot out on the edge of the bed, get your feet up under you as far as you can wth your heels flat on the ground, and hold an easy, steady stratch (not painful, no bouncing) for about 30 seconds before you stand up.  Helps gently undo some of the overhealing that happens overnight.  Also, tennis balls or aerosol can (or even better, a frozen water bottle) under your desk, where you can slip off the shoe and give yourself a massage, and towel curls - spread a towel out on the floor directly in front if you, and bunch it up under your arch over and over until it's all under your foot, then spread it back out and do it again.

Sometimes the old school remedies just work.  

Edited by SurlyGator
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SurlyGator said:

This is a tough one to remember right after waking up, but before you get up out of bed, do the "The Thinker" stretch.  You know, this guy:

image.png.d072cb6a5beb20145df43360cd75b216.png

Scoot out on the edge of the bed, get your feet up under you as far as you can wth your heels flat on the ground, and hold an easy, steady stratch (not painful, no bouncing) for about 30 seconds before you stand up.  Helps gently undo some of the overhealing that happens overnight.  Also, tennis balls or aerosol can (or even better, a frozen water bottle) under your desk, where you can slip off the shoe and give yourself a massage, and towel curls - spread a towel out on the floor directly in front if you, and bunch it up under your arch over and over until it's all under your foot, then spread it back out and do it again.

Sometimes the old school remedies just work.  

I often roll a frozen water bottle under my foot. Thinker pose I’ll have to add that. 

5 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Just got treated for Dupetryn’s, again. My hand will be out of commission for a bit, and yeah, it’s the one I “use” if you catch my drift

Dupuytren's may also be associated with drinking alcohol

Just got treated for Dupetryn’s, again. My hand will be out of commission for a bit, and yeah, it’s the one I “use” if you catch my drift

You got a gf for that. Tell her time to step up

Working out and picked up a new injury. Gettin old sucks 

ended up at the dr office.  And they gave me a shot in my ass and some pills for the road. 

plantar fasciitis… the fuck is this and why does it hurt more when I dont move and try to rest it. 

• Rage+1 2

I hate this thread so much.  I got into a fight with my 14yo son Friday night.  Nothing malicous, just a sparring fight.  I pulled my punches but he didn't.  I think I have a broken rib.  

I was getting tired, so I worked him into the fence.  He didn't like being cornered.    He was so happy to get out of that corner, he didn't realize I was working him toward the pool.  PUSH!  SPLASH!

My ribs hurt.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, RPM said:

Rotator cuff repair, detached bicep and various other muscles/tendons. It was basically hanging on by the skin.

Yep, my complete reverse shoulder replacement was rescheduled for this coming Friday,  March 29th. All of that

detached muscle bulkshit. et al. Was finally diagnosed with degenerative joint disease,  so I get to look forward to hip and knee replacements in the future also. Ain't getting older just a fucking blast?

• Rage+1 2

My wife turned 65 last year and got on Medicare. She's been having back problems (inherited from her dad) and pain in her hips. She made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon who took Medicare patients. He took x-rays of her hips and told her she was bone on bone in her hips and that she needed double hip replacement. When she ask him about options, he told her there were none and to come schedule an appointment when the pain became unbearable. He refused to talk to her about her back and said she needed to make another appointment. I told her that was BS and she needed to get a second opinion. She saw my surgeon who took an MRI. The surgeon said her hips were fine with no problems. She once worked in a surgeons office and could see there was nothing wrong with them. She had 2 bulging disc and arthritis in her back. No surgery needed, just pain management and exercise. 

How can two professionals be so far off in their diagnosis? I'm convinced the first one really didn't care and went in with a preconceived notion based on her age and insurance. I'd like to raise hell but she just wants to forget about it. It just pisses me off that he wouldn't listen to her, blew her off and said when it starts hurting to much, come back and we'll cut. 

• Rage+1 1