Getting old sucks

Hate

Eye infections suck.  Had a scare with this one because as it hurt to keep my left eye open and it was just as uncomfortable to keep it closed.  The only the helped last Friday night was a cold compress.   Finally the antibiotics kicked in on Saturday and things are clearing up now.  The Doc who diagnosed  it via an online  visit it was afraid it might be a more serious issue which would require an ER visit if there wasn’t some improvement by Sunday.  Read up on it and it started to concern me too.   Now I just have a lot dryness and sinus drainage.   Getting old kind of sux. 

5 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

I (almost 55) still play full-court basketball.  Most of the guys are in their late 20's to mid-to-late 30's.  I give it my best but these guys are so quick.  I hold my own but holy cow it is a full-time effort!  Today a guy did a spin move on me and I went to shuffle my feet to block his move but he stepped on my left foot and down I went twisting around.  I was going down face first but luckily was able to get my hands down first landing in a push up position before my chest hit the ground saving my face.  Slightly strained my chest muscles and received a strawberry on my right knee (multi-purpose floor).  All of the youngsters were concerned about my health but I popped right up.  I am sure that tomorrow I will feel it a bit more as the stiffness will set in.

Narrator- @mininghorn88 actually does not hold his own against the guys young enough to be his kids

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Saw the orthopedist yesterday.  Loooong discussion about total knee replacement.  Any experiences to share?

Had both of mine replaced at the same time in 2005. I highly recommend it. Maybe not both at once but do it. I was playing golf 8 weeks after the surgery and was back to single digit handicap within a year. I walk 3-4 miles daily during warm weather and ride an excercise bike 5-6 miles during the winter. Do it.

Edit to add that the only downside, if you want to call it that, is that I can't get on my hands and knees on a hard surface. That hurts like a motherfucker. I have learned to scoot around on my ass like a wormy dog if I need to do ground level work. At 70 I shouldn't be on my hands and knees anyway.

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
  • Hook 'Em 3

I had ACL repairs on both knees and lots of arthritis. I had a torn ligament again playing basketball with my kids at 52. I put up with it for a couple years until my right knee would slide out of place whenever I would cross my leg. That and handfuls of ibuprofen  forced my hand. Surgeon asked which one I wanted to do first and I said both. I don't know how he sold it to Blue Cross but he did.

I’m turning into my dad. I always laughed at the way he’d save random things - like aluminum or plastic newspaper bags - to reuse. He wasn’t a hoarder, thankfully. For the past year or so, I’ve been fighting an increasingly losing battle to not save containers, jars, and plastic produce or bread bags because they may come in handy some day. I even find myself washing ziplock bags for reuse as long as the old contents weren’t bloody.  My dad used to can produce like jalapeños from his garden in old jars. This drove my older sister crazy because she canned the right way. He always said you just have to make sure the old lids are tight enough to recreate a seal.

I’m also have a strong urge to watch reruns of Forensic Files. 

Edit - Glucosamine & Chondroitin works. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/30/2021 at 6:06 PM, Snake Diggity said:

Early last year ran into severe chronic heartburn, which has led to a daily double dose of Nexium I evidently will never be able to stop.  Tried getting off of it after making diet changes and it came roaring back.

My wife dealt with is this for years. Prescription and OTC meds helped, but it finally got bad enough that she underwent a Linx procedure (instead of the Nissen procedure). One advantage is the Linx doesn’t limit your ability to burp or vomit. She’s also lost weight because she has to slow down and take smaller bites while eating. It doesn’t seem like that’s an issue for you. 
A28-ABAB2-AC39-4-B74-87-D8-1193103-B999-

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My wife dealt with is this for years. Prescription and OTC meds helped, but it finally got bad enough that she underwent a Linx procedure (instead of the Nissen procedure). One advantage is the Linx doesn’t limit your ability to burp or vomit. She’s also lost weight because she has to slow down and take smaller bites while eating. It doesn’t seem like that’s an issue for you. 
A28-ABAB2-AC39-4-B74-87-D8-1193103-B999-

Thanks man, def something I will look into.  Since my original post I have added some odd voice symptoms.  I’ve got an endoscopy scheduled for Monday to hopefully see wtf is goin on.  Hope I’ve just gotten ulcers or nodules on my vocal chords from reflux and not cancer or some other weird shit.

2 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’m turning into my dad. I always laughed at the way he’d save random things - like aluminum or plastic newspaper bags - to reuse. He wasn’t a hoarder, thankfully. For the past year or so, I’ve been fighting an increasingly losing battle to not save containers, jars, and plastic produce or bread bags because they may come in handy some day. I even find myself washing ziplock bags for reuse as long as the old contents weren’t bloody.  My dad used to can produce like jalapeños from his garden in old jars. This drove my older sister crazy because she canned the right way. He always said you just have to make sure the old lids are tight enough to recreate a seal.

I’m also have a strong urge to watch reruns of Forensic Files. 

Edit - Glucosamine & Chondroitin works. 

screenshot-2020-04-16-at-18.56.33.png?v=

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Appt with the doc today.  After a 3-4 years of weird symptoms that didn't seem to go together, my school nurse "diagnosed" me as having psoriatic arthritis.  My symptoms include lots of joint pain, low back pain, a numb foot, shin rash that won't go away, a new rash spot on my forehead, an eye that looks like pink eye, and a shit-ton of fatigue, and some stupid issue with my finger nails.  I just assumed I was getting old. 

3 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My wife is like that... saving everything you mentioned sans the plastic newspaper bags, only because we don't get a newspaper. I toss a bunch of stuff every few months, but they magically re-appear in drawers and cabinets.

Her entire family are hoarders to some degree. It drives me nuts since I like to go through my stuff 2x a year and purge stuff I don't use / clothes I don't wear.

We've been married 12 years and are pretty much done arguing about finances, in-laws, sex and kids. Pretty much the only thing we argue about now is the clutter in the house.

• Hook 'Em 1

I just turned 50 a couple of weeks ago. Went to bed a couple of months ago and woke up with a very sore shoulder. Over time it has gotten worse to where putting on a coat, taking off a shirt or putting on deodorant is nearly impossible without bending over in massive pain. Doc said it was tendonitis and set me up with physical therapist. PT says its not tendonitis but something called Frozen Shoulder (adhesive capsulitis of shoulder). WTF is that? Getting old sucks. 

image.jpeg.292b9fb5f2594871bbf9a9d19dcddc56.jpeg

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

My wife is like that... saving everything you mentioned sans the plastic newspaper bags, only because we don't get a newspaper. I toss a bunch of stuff every few months, but they magically re-appear in drawers and cabinets.

Her entire family are hoarders to some degree. It drives me nuts since I like to go through my stuff 2x a year and purge stuff I don't use / clothes I don't wear.

We've been married 12 years and are pretty much done arguing about finances, in-laws, sex and kids. Pretty much the only thing we argue about now is the clutter in the house.

Samesies except we're going on 20 this year.  I lost my shit last night and bitched at her and the two boys.  

40 minutes ago, T-shirt Sip said:

I just turned 50 a couple of weeks ago. Went to bed a couple of months ago and woke up with a very sore shoulder. Over time it has gotten worse to where putting on a coat, taking off a shirt or putting on deodorant is nearly impossible without bending over in massive pain. Doc said it was tendonitis and set me up with physical therapist. PT says its not tendonitis but something called Frozen Shoulder (adhesive capsulitis of shoulder). WTF is that? Getting old sucks. 

My exact ailment.  I think I did mine either stretching in my sleep or sleeping on my side.

2 hours ago, T-shirt Sip said:

Sorry to hear that. Are you still dealing with it? I just started PT and the idea is just to keep stretching it and hopefully it passes. If fucking sucks. 

It’s getting better.  Spent the last three weeks training myself to sleep on my back.

Sorry to hear that. Are you still dealing with it? I just started PT and the idea is just to keep stretching it and hopefully it passes. If fucking sucks. 
Band exercises. Frozen shoulder happens to rotator cuff (me) surgeries as well. 50 PT sessions and I'm at 90%. 49 years old and playing basketball with my 12 year old is helping.

9 hours ago, T-shirt Sip said:

My wife had surgery for shoulder impingement, then developed a frozen shoulder. It hurt like a bitch to break up the scar tissue, but she kept reminding herself that it was only pain, not healthy tissue damage  

I developed shoulder pain busting up thick ice in my gutter (long story) with a heavy chisel-tip post hole digging rod (I think some call it a West Texas post hole digger). The pain wouldn’t go away and hurt worst when I pulled my elbows straight back like I was lowering a bench press bar to my chest. I decided to do just that and resume bench pressing on my Bowflex. I don’t know if it worked/stretched out some tendinitis or broke up scar tissue. All I know is it hurt like hell, but quickly got much better. I’ll probably end up with new shoulders someday, lol. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

14 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I pulled a muscle sneezing

I can’t sneeze anymore without severe back pain, so when I feel one coming I have to contort my body into a shape that minimizes the pain. It’s ridiculous. 

Edited by Dbeasy

On 3/8/2021 at 4:58 PM, mininghorn88 said:

I (almost 55) still play full-court basketball.  Most of the guys are in their late 20's to mid-to-late 30's.  I give it my best but these guys are so quick.  I hold my own but holy cow it is a full-time effort!  Today a guy did a spin move on me and I went to shuffle my feet to block his move but he stepped on my left foot and down I went twisting around.  I was going down face first but luckily was able to get my hands down first landing in a push up position before my chest hit the ground saving my face.  Slightly strained my chest muscles and received a strawberry on my right knee (multi-purpose floor).  All of the youngsters were concerned about my health but I popped right up.  I am sure that tomorrow I will feel it a bit more as the stiffness will set in.

You're going to pop your Achilles.  It's not if, it's when.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 10:43 AM, bluto said:

That’s an issue with the nerve that runs through a channel through the elbow. I get same numbness from propping my elbows up like on an arm rest or lying on my back holding my phone up using elbow as the plant point.

Yep, ulnar nerve capture.  Not necessarily age related.  Look up "nerve flossing" exercises.  

Something happened to my elbow/arm on a fucking economy flight to China in my 40s.  Since then, carrying something weighty (briefcase, suitcase) with my right arm fully/hyperextended can bring on a flare up of that, but it's worse than going to sleep, it gets hypersensitive like funny bone pain at the slightest touch.

Nerve flossing exercises make it go away.  Apparently the nerve moves out of its happy little channel of bone and tissue and is either compressed or exposed or both.  The "flossing" exercises move it back.

Kind of a related thing.  I broke my collarbone two years ago and had to sleep sitting up for a couple of weeks.  So I got a cat in my lap all night, which was actually quite pleasant.  But, it caused meraalgia paresthetica, which is a compression of a big leg nerve near your hip joint that makes you upper leg/thigh tingle non-stop.  https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/meralgia-paresthetica/symptoms-causes/syc-20355635  I diagnosed myself, and ortho handling my collarbone and broken finger confirmed.  Again, you can kind of stretch it out, but it goes away by itself when you stop doing whatever irritates it.  Apparently fairly common with the fatties, preggo, and some laptop users.

41 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yep, ulnar nerve capture.  Not necessarily age related.  Look up "nerve flossing" exercises.  

Something happened to my elbow/arm on a fucking economy flight to China in my 40s.  Since then, carrying something weighty (briefcase, suitcase) with my right arm fully/hyperextended can bring on a flare up of that, but it's worse than going to sleep, it gets hypersensitive like funny bone pain at the slightest touch.

Nerve flossing exercises make it go away.  Apparently the nerve moves out of its happy little channel of bone and tissue and is either compressed or exposed or both.  The "flossing" exercises move it back.

Kind of a related thing.  I broke my collarbone two years ago and had to sleep sitting up for a couple of weeks.  So I got a cat in my lap all night, which was actually quite pleasant.  But, it caused meraalgia paresthetica, which is a compression of a big leg nerve near your hip joint that makes you upper leg/thigh tingle non-stop.  https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/meralgia-paresthetica/symptoms-causes/syc-20355635  I diagnosed myself, and ortho handling my collarbone and broken finger confirmed.  Again, you can kind of stretch it out, but it goes away by itself when you stop doing whatever irritates it.  Apparently fairly common with the fatties, preggo, and some laptop users.

I've been dealing with tendonitis in my elbow for a while. Will check out these flossing exercises. If they work, I'll give you reps beyond belief. 

11 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

It’s getting better.  Spent the last three weeks training myself to sleep on my back.

I've been trying to sleep on my back but its proving difficult after sleeping on my stomach for 50 years. I'll start on my back and will be woken up in the middle of the night because I've rolled over and tried to put my arm above my head. This happens about 5-6 times per night. It sucks. 

10 hours ago, markstanco said:

Band exercises. Frozen shoulder happens to rotator cuff (me) surgeries as well. 50 PT sessions and I'm at 90%. 49 years old and playing basketball with my 12 year old is helping.

I've bought a pulley pull down system and some bands. I'll do some exercises every day and hopefully I'll get back to semi-normal life fairly quickly. I couldn't imagine going to PT 50 times. 

This house in the hill country is supposed to be my forever home. I made sure it was one story for just that reason.

My wife and I have already spoken about this as well. Our next house will be one story and about half the size of our house now.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:
1 hour ago, Hate said:

My wife and I have already spoken about this as well. Our next house will be one story and about half the size of our house now.

Same for us in about 10ish years when the boys are off the payroll.

Want to know how I know that you don’t yet have adult children yet?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My son runs cross country.  I used to ride the bike along with him when he went for his 6 mile runs on Saturday morning, but he told me I rode the bike too slow.

Both of my youngest sons (13 and 15) rock climb competitively.  Lets just say there is a big difference between a highly trained teenager weighing 100-120 lbs and a 54 year old man weighing 200lbs.

I started climbing again after knee surgery about 6 weeks ago and promptly got climbers elbow (golfers elbow) in both arms, a shoulder impingement and some as of yet diagnosed wrist injury.  Taking a break while I reconsider my life.  Knee is great, though.

Oldest son (32) likes to play music and get drunk (New Orleans).  He is much funner to hang out with and I can keep up with him on the booze.  What can I say, I'm a natural.

• Like 1