Getting old sucks

Hate

Spent four days in the hospital this week. Lesson learned, if you have unusual abdominal discomfort that doesn’t go away after a few days go to the doctor.

I thought I was dealing with run off the mill gastro stuff but it peaked Saturday night in some of the worst pain I’ve ever had. It subsided Sunday and a doc in the box said to just go see my PCP on Monday which I did. They ordered a CT scan, saw the results, and said “go to the hospital.”

Diverticulitis which resulted in a micro-perforation of my colon which thank God didn’t require emergency surgery. Four days of IV antibiotics appears to have gotten it under control but that was a very scary experience. There’s not a lot that can ruin your day faster than your doc waking in the room and saying, “I’ve got some not-great news.”

I’ll be fifty next year and I guess it’s time to start acting like it. Y’all take of yourselves.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Spent four days in the hospital this week. Lesson learned, if you have unusual abdominal discomfort that doesn’t go away after a few days go to the doctor.

I thought I was dealing with run off the mill gastro stuff but it peaked Saturday night in some of the worst pain I’ve ever had. It subsided Sunday and a doc in the box said to just go see my PCP on Monday which I did. They ordered a CT scan, saw the results, and said “go to the hospital.”

Diverticulitis which resulted in a micro-perforation of my colon which thank God didn’t require emergency surgery. Four days of IV antibiotics appears to have gotten it under control but that was a very scary experience. There’s not a lot that can ruin your day faster than your doc waking in the room and saying, “I’ve got some not-great news.”

I’ll be fifty next year and I guess it’s time to start acting like it. Y’all take of yourselves.

Severe pain centered on the lower left side of your abdomen? Sometime so intense you were doubled over in pain? Yup...

Those are the signs.

That’s my biggest problem…I’m 52 but still act like I’m 30. I was playing basketball today with my 13 year old and he tripped me. Ordinary, I would have caught myself pretty easily, but I had already had a couple of cocktails and one hits, so I wasn’t quite as quick to react. Well, lesson learned. From now on, I will only rebound after some cocktails and one hits to make sure I stay safe.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Good thing your hospital was available with space - too much Covid-19 going on.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Yeah being in a hospital during Covid is even less fun that it would normally be. One of the ER nurses said that they are down from three covid wards to two, but there were only four open beds out of about sixty. She said some ER patients are refusing covid tests even if it means they have to be treated in the covid unit. Bottles the mind.
  • Rage+1 1

Severe pain centered on the lower left side of your abdomen? Sometime so intense you were doubled over in pain? Yup...
Those are the signs.

It wasn’t lower left, oddly. It was lower but all over. The best way I can describe it is strong gas cramps. I keep expecting to have a mega fart and for it to clear up.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I went through that diverticulitis shit a few months ago.  That shit is painful.  So far I've had that, shingles, and passed four kidney stones.  I think I could probably go to India and do that walking on burning coals test without flinching now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Droopy said:

I have to stop eating beans with dinner.  

Wife woke me up this morning as she left for work and said, “Hey, you farted on my leg last night. It’s started out with small drops then, it just got louder and more rough. I literally thought you were taking a shit on my knee.”

Did it sm… “Yes, it smelled.”

😁

image.jpeg.d2179ceeb3fdd339b48f81c12c0cfc9b.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 7/27/2021 at 6:20 PM, troph said:

And god the lack of energy.  No carbs or super low carbs, great diet, relatively speaking a lot of exercise, full night of sleep and I’m still super tired at 7pm. Most days I force a good time but truth is I could be asleep by 7:30pm and not complain. 

naps are your friend.

I've switched from 8 hours a night to about 6, plus an hour nap everyday that I can fit it in. Works much better for me (late 50s).

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

naps are your friend.

I've switched from 8 hours a night to about 6, plus an hour nap everyday that I can fit it in. Works much better for me (late 50s).

Beat days include naps yes. I take them now on Saturday and Sunday for sure, 30 mins. I’ve tried to find 15 mins to close my eyes on weekdays. It does make all the difference.

13 hours ago, Droopy said:

I have to stop eating beans with dinner.  

Wife woke me up this morning as she left for work and said, “Hey, you farted on my leg last night. It’s started out with small drops then, it just got louder and more rough. I literally thought you were taking a shit on my knee.”

Did it sm… “Yes, it smelled.”

😁

Nothing wrong with establishing your dominance. 

My MIL is at the end of life stage, not in hospice, but the writing is on the wall. I have been trying to prepare Mrs. CHIEF. MIL has bed sores, constant UTI, dementia, loss of sight in one eye, and just got a feeding tube, amongst other things. We get a call from the Round Rock hospital this morning:

Nurse: Good morning, Mrs. CHIEF, I was just calling you to let you know how your mother is doing. She is adjusting to the feeding tube well, she is awake, and alert.

Mrs. CHIEF: That's great to hear, you will probably have to put her hearing aids in, or she will "what?" you to death.

Nurse: Will do. I have to let you know her legs are very weak, she can't even stand with a walker.

Mrs. CHIEF: Well that is understandable, she has been a fucking paraplegic for 18 months.

Nurse: Oh.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, CHIEF said:

My MIL is at the end of life stage, not in hospice, but the writing is on the wall. I have been trying to prepare Mrs. CHIEF. MIL has bed sores, constant UTI, dementia, loss of sight in one eye, and just got a feeding tube, amongst other things. We get a call from the Round Rock hospital this morning:

Nurse: Good morning, Mrs. CHIEF, I was just calling you to let you know how your mother is doing. She is adjusting to the feeding tube well, she is awake, and alert.

Mrs. CHIEF: That's great to hear, you will probably have to put her hearing aids in, or she will "what?" you to death.

Nurse: Will do. I have to let you know her legs are very weak, she can't even stand with a walker.

Mrs. CHIEF: Well that is understandable, she has been a fucking paraplegic for 18 months.

CHIEF

That is savage 

11 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Sorry to hear it. We’ve been through it with both of my wife’s parents and my dad.  Currently dealing with mom, who is without dad for the first time in 60 years. It’s not fun. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Heard a preacher talking on the radio a while back. He was talking about older men and now just comparing men over 50 to a track race. He talked about how on multilap running races the last lap was always considered the gun lap. The bastard then proceeded to explain that any man over 50 was on their gun lap. Hope son of a b**** catches fire gets put out with gasoline.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Heatd a preacher talking on the radio a while back. He was talking about older men and now just comparing men over 50 to a track race. He talked about how on multilap running races the last lap was always considered the gun lap. The bastard then proceeded to explain that any man over 50 was on their gun lap. Hope son of a b**** catches fire gets put out with gasoline.

I’m pretty much obsessed with end of life and even I have to say that’s morbidAF. Gun lap at 50? If you take care of yourself physically you should be able to do whatever you want through your 60s and all but the most strenuous exercise into your mid seventies. Maybe then you kick back and enjoy a victory lap, but damn at the end in your 50s? EABODs preacher man.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, troph said:

I’m pretty much obsessed with end of life and even I have to say that’s morbidAF. Gun lap at 50? If you take care of yourself physically you should be able to do whatever you want through your 60s and all but the most strenuous exercise into your mid seventies. Maybe then you kick back and enjoy a victory lap, but damn at the end in your 50s? EABODs preacher man.

Agreed. Dad passed away in July at 87. Long battle with Alzheimer’s. It was a sweet passing. 
He worked hard, and took care of himself his whole life. He took care of the farm until we moved them to the city in 2008 to be closer to doctors, my sister, etc. He played pickup basketball into his 70s and ran regularly until he was almost 80. 
He certainly wasn’t in the bell lap at 50. And now that I’m well into my 50s, I don’t think I’m anywhere near that bell lap either. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/23/2021 at 10:30 PM, Hate said:

That’s my biggest problem…I’m 52 but still act like I’m 30. I was playing basketball today with my 13 year old and he tripped me. Ordinary, I would have caught myself pretty easily, but I had already had a couple of cocktails and one hits, so I wasn’t quite as quick to react. Well, lesson learned. From now on, I will only rebound after some cocktails and one hits to make sure I stay safe.

Yeah, that's me... in part because I'm in better health and shape than when I was 30 so my mind is off-kilter.  That said, having blown out one knee and having injured the other, I do feel a few more aches and pains.  Had a great time playing pickleball the other night... felt great and as nimble as ever until I dove for a ball and got a glaring reminder that two weeks ago I flipped off my bike (long story... car almost hit me) and landed on my hands.  My hands are killing me a bit I have no idea if there are small fractures on the heel of my hand... just trying to take it easy, a bit, to let them heal.  Found out pushups and dips are decidedly out.   

Finally started taking a statin drug earlier this year and had my semi-annual checkup this week. Blood work was probably better than it's ever been in my adult life. Cholesterol went from 240 to 170, all them other numbers were vastly improved and/or at acceptable levels. I turned 61 this time last month. Feeling great - today. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Finally started taking a statin drug earlier this year and had my semi-annual checkup this week. Blood work was probably better than it's ever been in my adult life. Cholesterol went from 240 to 170, all them other numbers were vastly improved and/or at acceptable levels. I turned 61 this time last month. Feeling great - today. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/23/2021 at 8:23 PM, Buzzrock said:

I thought that was going to be an abdominal aortic aneurysm. 

On 10/6/2021 at 11:29 PM, ROFL BOX said:

image.png.b2d8b5ea210e5ce54fbdf3e55a8153c0.png

I'm assuming that is your mom and dad, that is a gift. Seeing your post brought tears to my eyes. My mom was a letter writer. Even when I was just a few hours away in college, she would send me a box of stuff or newspaper clippings from my hometown but she ALWAYS included a letter she had written. She wrote beautifully whether it was half a page from her steno pad or a 2 pager running down everything going on with the family. In 2005 she began having memory issues and my worst fears were confirmed within a year. But even then, she still remembered to send birthday cards, to me, my wife, my son. And in each she always put a small personal note. One of the worst days of my life was the first year I didn't get a birthday card from her. She did send my wife and son one that same year for which I am grateful. That was the last year we ever received mail from her, 2009. I watched Alzheimer's slowly take her from us for nearly 8 more years. I'm 54 now and I still have the majority of those letters and cards she sent. I wish I had them all but in my stupid youth some got lost along the way.

Cherish that she took the effort to position the phone so it would be at the corner of the page so that she could write you a personal note in her very own hand. It's beautiful.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

On 10/14/2021 at 11:12 PM, Longhornstampede said:

I'm assuming that is your mom and dad, that is a gift. Seeing your post brought tears to my eyes. My mom was a letter writer. Even when I was just a few hours away in college, she would send me a box of stuff or newspaper clippings from my hometown but she ALWAYS included a letter she had written. She wrote beautifully whether it was half a page from her steno pad or a 2 pager running down everything going on with the family. In 2005 she began having memory issues and my worst fears were confirmed within a year. But even then, she still remembered to send birthday cards, to me, my wife, my son. And in each she always put a small personal note. One of the worst days of my life was the first year I didn't get a birthday card from her. She did send my wife and son one that same year for which I am grateful. That was the last year we ever received mail from her, 2009. I watched Alzheimer's slowly take her from us for nearly 8 more years. I'm 54 now and I still have the majority of those letters and cards she sent. I wish I had them all but in my stupid youth some got lost along the way.

Cherish that she took the effort to position the phone so it would be at the corner of the page so that she could write you a personal note in her very own hand. It's beautiful.

I didn’t really want to cry while drinking coffee this morning, thanks a lot. Seriously that is a beautiful account of your mom. Thank you for sharing, it’s posts like this that make me love being on this board. My ex’s grandmother is a letter writer, I miss her tremendously. She’s still alive at 90. 

Thanks for sharing Even if the original photo wasn’t a wedding photo.

Edited by troph
  • Like 2

I'm on a golf trip to the Lake of the Ozarks region. They have had a lot of rain over the last week so all of the courses have been cart path only. Fuuuuck. 36 holes yesterday has left me as stiff as a wedding dick this morning. I have until 10:30 to recover for 18 more today. That's a lot of walking for an old guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/17/2021 at 6:29 AM, Shoxthemonkey said:

I'm on a golf trip to the Lake of the Ozarks region. They have had a lot of rain over the last week so all of the courses have been cart path only. Fuuuuck. 36 holes yesterday has left me as stiff as a wedding dick this morning. I have until 10:30 to recover for 18 more today. That's a lot of walking for an old guy.

Try it

bc-aspirin-fast-pain-relief-powder-000234762.jpg

On 10/14/2021 at 11:12 PM, Longhornstampede said:

My mom and grandmother would write each other all the time, as my dad was career military and we were never close enough to visit. One day, I came home to find my mother crying. I was a self-absorbed teen and didn't say anything. I asked my dad later and he said my mom got a letter from my grandmother, telling her that the Alzheimer's had gotten to the point where she could no longer write, so this was her last letter. I can't imagine how that must've felt. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

My mom had Alzheimers for more than 10 years before she passed. For the majority of those years she was unable to communicate with us in any way. After she passed, I was going through her stuff and found a Big Chief tablet that she had used daily for the first few months of her affliction. This was before any of us knew that she was struggling.  She would print the date and then she would sign her name 10 times. Each page was worse and worse and then she just stopped. That was a gut punch. She knew she was fucked and never told any of us that she needed help.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

On 9/23/2021 at 11:30 PM, Hate said:

Time for you to make the transition to a 3-and-D guy, fuck driving to the hole. Stay outside and launch 3s when you have the ball, elbows high and head butts on D. He’s young, it builds character. What I definitely wouldn’t cut out is the cocktails and one-hits, at your age that could prove fatal…

• Like 1