Voter Suppression

Pancho

One thing that strikes me is tha lack of voices here or elsewhere to defend against this worst act against democracy.
Sure, you're against the abuse of FISA warrants. Me too! We should totally hang out.
Oh, you don't give a fuck about how we silence the voices of folks who might actually affect change through their representatives?
Shove that white hot poker up your ass, Anastasis.

This take. I like it.

Where is his source for this information? There are many reasons why voter rolls can be inaccurate that have nothing to do AT ALL with either party. For example, despite my oldest informing the local voter registration that she is now domiciled in another state, she still receives her official card from our county. How many times must one notify the government that one has moved before it sticks? The federal government got the hang of it pretty quick, as the IRS seemed to catch on but the county was another story.

It should not be this difficult to vote, nor should it be all that difficult to determine eligibility to vote.

Charlie is an asshole.

Awesome. Did Kirk know that number - almost a year old story, by the way - has been debunked?

And further, the the extent there was such an issue, it was due to a glitch in Pa’s motor voter registration computer system, and has been fixed? Or, could it be that Kirk wants to whip up the base to go after legit voters who “look kinda funny,” and further feed naked GOP disenfranchisement efforts? Gosh, I wonder what it is?

He’s such a fucking tool. The history books are going to show him to be the pathetic gritting simpleton that he is for eternity. Posterity will not be kind. Fortunately, he won’t have any descendants, because his socks can’t get pregnant.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Awesome. Did Kirk know that number - almost a year old story, by the way - has been debunked?

And further, the the extent there was such an issue, it was due to a glitch in Pa’s motor voter registration computer system, and has been fixed? Or, could it be that Kirk wants to whip up the base to go after legit voters who “look kinda funny,” and further feed naked GOP disenfranchisement efforts? Gosh, I wonder what it is?

He’s such a fucking tool. The history books are going to show him to be the pathetic gritting simpleton that he is for eternity. Posterity will not be kind. Fortunately, he won’t have any descendants, because his socks can’t get pregnant.

Ding ding ding!

That's the point - the right and alt-right will be going balls to the wall over the next 10+ months to get as many voters purged as possible in the key swing states.  At best, Kirk is a grade A moron and a waste of carbon, but he resembles current GOP thinking than even most on Fox News and they are going to be screaming voter fraud at the top of their fat-constricted lungs from now until Election Day.

18 hours ago, bolverk said:

One thing that strikes me is tha lack of voices here or elsewhere to defend against this worst act against democracy.

Sure, you're against the abuse of FISA warrants. Me too! We should totally hang out.

Oh, you don't give a fuck about how we silence the voices of folks who might actually affect change through their representatives?

Shove that white hot poker up your ass, Anastasis.

I’m sure you’re in line for a strongly worded gif

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Whoosh.

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Whoosh x2.

Unless your entire persona is a giant Scorpio / Futureman schtick then your "wooshing" is an indictment of yourself rather than others. You have a history of posting no content, just conservative tweets. It certainly seems as if you support these views as there is no analysis whatsoever, just presentation. Maybe these are meant to be critical (or maybe, as you indicate, just this one) but at least Scorpio (and to a much much much lesser extent Futureman) are funny.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Just remember to bring that tweet back up if Trump loses PA (narrator: he will) and they cry about voter fraud or whatever. The last time a presidential election in PA was decided by fewer than 12k votes? 1844.

1 hour ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Unless your entire persona is a giant Scorpio / Futureman schtick then your "wooshing" is an indictment of yourself rather than others. You have a history of posting no content, just conservative tweets. It certainly seems as if you support these views as there is no analysis whatsoever, just presentation. Maybe these are meant to be critical (or maybe, as you indicate, just this one) but at least Scorpio (and to a much much much lesser extent Futureman) are funny.

Noted - I will endeavor to do better.

Whoosh is when you post Bullshit musings via twitter rather than factual information.  Putting out and repeating a falsehood isn't ironic, it's simply forwarding without comment a falsehood.

If you comment... "see the power of the far right!"

Then you make an actual thought process that you write down and put your post into context. 

Edited by horn4life

10 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

When is the Georgia deadline for people to register? With social media, getting the word out for people to check their status might help.

Even though I recently received my new card for this go round, I still checked online. 

One of my children recently registered, too. 

This. If people can get re-registered we can counter this bullshit. 

• 3 weeks later...

ah, floriduh.  america's wang. 

Following immense backlash from Democrats and civil rights advocates, though, legislators added a conciliatory section to their bill. It allowed courts to modify “the original sentencing order to no longer require completion” of the initial sentence. In other words, courts can waive fines and fees imposed as part of a sentence. By doing so, courts can clear the way for former felons to complete their sentences and immediately become eligible to vote.

To implement this section, Florida’s four most populous counties created “rocket dockets” to waive fines and fees en masse. Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, and Hillsborough—which, together, make up more than a third of the state’s population—launched programs to identify individuals who owe fines and fees and fast-track their cases to the courts. A judge then waives their financial obligations (except restitution to victims) and provides them with a court order declaring their sentences complete. This order reestablishes their right to vote. Courts, prosecutors, and public defenders all support these programs, and celebrity activist John Legend helped to publicize them by sitting in on a “rocket docket” session. Local officials provide individuals with voter registration forms as soon as their fines and fees are waived.

As WLRN pointed out on Sunday, these four counties’ swift action raises the possibility that Republicans’ plan to undercut Amendment 4 may backfire. There is little doubt that GOP legislators opposed the amendment because they feared it would disproportionately enfranchise Democrats. But their bill has led to a bizarre system in which Democratic counties are reenfranchising their voters while Republican-majority counties are not. Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, and Hillsborough all overwhelmingly supported Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump in 2016. They are Democratic strongholds in a state with notoriously close elections. In 2016, Trump beat Clinton by about 113,000 votes. Meanwhile, Miami-Dade hopes to grant about 150,000 former felons the right to vote. The reenfranchisement of hundreds of thousands of voters in primarily Democratic counties may very well swing the 2020 election.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/01/florida-felon-voting-rights-amendment-4-counties-poll-tax.html

• Like 1

9 hours ago, elfenix said:

Heard a brief story on NPR in the car just a few minutes ago about this, I didn't realize that the GOP led legislature there actually allowed the fines to be waved. It's a big if, but if most of those former felons voted it easily could swing Florida.

On 12/15/2019 at 5:13 PM, Brisketexan said:

Just remember that every accusation is a confession. And along that rationale, I fully expect they're probably committing voter registration fraud on behalf of Republicans in their party over country scourge.  They'll normalize it with a Democrats already do it excuse to further their committing crimes against Democracy.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Travis county is suppressing my vote again. Like in 2018 they suspended my voter registration. When I try to access their website I get an error. I suspect they are  blocking foreign ip addresses trying to intentionally keep expats from voting.

I have been trying to access their site for months to reregister. I guess I will get a ballot from fvap and hope for the best.

I am going to post be an article about Travis county voter suppression on dailykos and send the link to Elfant.

They initially suspended me for selling my house. That is bullshit as they had no idea where I moved.

Then I sent them the paperwork registered as an expat in 2018 and they never entered it. They never sent me a ballot so I got one off fvap and mailed it, but they refused to count it.

So I am still suspended. This is bullshit. They have no right depriving citizens from voting.

Edited by RayDog
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, RayDog said:

Travis county is suppressing my vote again. Like in 2018 they suspended my voter registration. When I try to access their website I get an error. I suspect they are  blocking foreign ip addresses trying to intentionally keep expats from voting.

I have been trying to access their site for months to reregister. I guess I will get a ballot from fvap and hope for the best.

Use a VPN

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6674139-Hobbs-en-banc.html

9th Circuit finds violations in Arizona of the VRA in a breezy 400 page opinion, including violation of not just discriminatory impact, but discriminatory intent.  good job, republicans.

interesting facts in there:  in 2012, 33,000 votes, more than 5% of all votes, were tossed.

A cool bit of evidence from the opinion.  So, in Arizona, they will toss your vote entirely if you vote in the wrong precinct.  That is, even though everyone can vote for the same President and Senator regardless of where in the state they live, if they show up at the wrong voting precinct, you vote with a provisional ballot so that you'll feel like you voted, and they (eventually) toss it in the trash.

The facts show that white neighborhoods tend to keep the same voting precincts, while minority neighborhoods keep getting theirs moved around.

A group of 44 voters who were officially registered to vote in precinct 222, showed up on election day at the Desert Star School, the polling location for precinct 173.  It is easy to understand how they might have made this mistake.  Polling place 173 is the local elementary school, and the only polling place in the vicinity.  It is within easy walking distance, and is the polling place for most of the neighbors and other parents at the school yet due to a bizarre placement of the polling place at the southern border of precinct 222, these voters were required to travel 15 minutes by care (according to google maps) to vote in polling location 222, passing four other polling places along the way.

it amazes me how clever these people get at figuring out how to suppress votes.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

consolidate and move them around is a very effective tactic in blue districts 

Thank you big Texas counties implementing county wide voting centers. Now if we can get those in places like Raleigh, Atlanta, Detroit, Philly, Milwaukee

• 2 weeks later...

trump appointee writes dissent claiming that individuals cannot sue their states under the VRA:

In her dissent, Branch made the bizarre argument that Congress did not limit sovereign immunity because it used the wrong preposition. The VRA, she wrote, allows any “aggrieved person” to “enforce” voting rights “in any State.” But to curb sovereign immunity, Branch insisted, the law had to “authorize proceedings ‘against’ a State” (emphasis added). In short, Branch would overturn decades of precedent because she disagrees with Congress’ grammatical choices.

also cracked the door to eliminating section 2

But another, more consequential dispute lurks just beneath the surface of this case. Alabama raised a separate argument that could have ruinous consequences for the VRA: It challenged the constitutionality of Section 2’s results test. This test prohibits election laws that place a disproportionate burden on minorities, even if they were not enacted with discriminatory intent. Branch conspicuously declined to reject this claim in a footnote that should put civil rights attorneys on high alert. Conservatives have been searching for a case that could take down the VRA’s results test, and NAACP v. Alabama might just be the one.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/02/trump-judge-voters-sue-voting-rights-act.html

Edited by elfenix

The power of the Voting Rights Act hinges on individual voters’ ability to raise the alarm over racially discriminatory election laws. Voters do this by suing the state or locality that is disenfranchising them. But Branch argued that voters cannot sue states to enforce the VRA. Branch’s opinion is, for now, just a dissent. But there is a real possibility that the Supreme Court could transform it into the law of the land and render the landmark civil rights statute toothless.

this is how a democracy dies 

• Like 2

In some ways it amazes me the VRA was ever passed.  I remember on of the civil rights acts a Texas Senator was the only “confederate” Senator that voted yes.  I’m sure that’s probably true with all the civil rights era laws. There must have been uniform support for them outside the confederacy, even the states that are ruby red today to overwhelm the confederate stonewalling of them. 

26 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

In some ways it amazes me the VRA was ever passed.  I remember on of the civil rights acts a Texas Senator was the only “confederate” Senator that voted yes.  I’m sure that’s probably true with all the civil rights era laws. There must have been uniform support for them outside the confederacy, even the states that are ruby red today to overwhelm the confederate stonewalling of them. 

Every single other Senator voted yes. Western and Midwestern States that are now part of the GOP firewall weren't so red back then.  They also didn't have a slavery, segregationist, and Jim Crow legacy they were trying to defend. 

Civil Rights Act was almost the same although it had more no votes. 

If you held the votes again now, I bet neither would pass. Those same Western and Midwestern states jumped right into "they're taking our jobs" rhetoric.  We are in the midst of a backslide. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

24 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Every single other Senator voted yes. Western and Midwestern States that are now part of the GOP firewall weren't so red back then.  They also didn't have a slavery, segregationist, and Jim Crow legacy they were trying to defend. 

Civil Rights Act was almost the same although it had more no votes. 

If you held the votes again now, I bet neither would pass. Those same Western and Midwestern states jumped right into "they're taking our jobs" rhetoric.  We are in the midst of a backslide. 

that's amazing.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/89-1965/s78

Vote State Party Representative
Nay AL   D   Hill, Joseph
Nay AL   D   Sparkman, John
Nay AR   D   Fulbright, James
Nay AR   D   McClellan, John
Nay FL   D   Holland, Spessard
Nay FL   D   Smathers, George
Nay GA   D   Russell, Richard
Nay GA   D   Talmadge, Herman
Nay LA   D   Ellender, Allen
Nay LA   D   Long, Russell
Nay MS   D   Eastland, James
Nay MS   D   Stennis, John
Nay NC   D   Ervin, Samuel
Nay NC   D   Jordan, Benjamin
Nay SC   D   Russell, Donald
Nay SC   R   Thurmond, Strom
Nay TX   R   Tower, John
Nay VA   D   Byrd, Harry
Nay VA   D   Robertson, Absalom

literally the exact confederacy voted no, the exact non confederacy voted yes, minus Texas's Yarborough.