Voter Suppression

Pancho

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/03/trump-2020-election-legal-battle-coronavirus-162152

President Donald Trump’s political operation is launching a multimillion-dollar legal campaign aimed at blocking Democrats from drastically changing voting rules in response to the coronavirus outbreak.

In the past several weeks, the reelection campaign and the Republican National Committee have helped to oversee maneuvering in a handful of battleground states with an eye toward stopping some Democratic efforts to alter voting laws, and to bolster Trump. The mobilization is being closely coordinated with Republicans at the state and local levels.

the republican party thinks voters are the problem.

11 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Australia has some sort of law that you have to vote.  I have no idea what the penalty for not voting is, but apparently there is one according to an Aussie friend of mine that told me about it during a pub crawl - which explains why I don’t remember.

Tie voting to drivers license. No vote, no drive. Driving is a privilege, not a right.

40 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Australia has some sort of law that you have to vote.  I have no idea what the penalty for not voting is, but apparently there is one according to an Aussie friend of mine that told me about it during a pub crawl - which explains why I don’t remember.

Argentina and Belgium also have mandatory voting and it’s always on a Sunday 

So Wisconsin, one of the bastions of voter suppression and gerrymandering, is still holding its primary/election on Tuesday, despite the very serious health risks posed by doing so. Milwaukee, which normally has 180 polling places, has been reduced to 5; it will be an absolute nightmare at those locations.

Governor Tony Evers (D) has repeatedly called for the (gerrymandered AF) Republican legislature to postpone and mail every registered voter a ballot. Naturally, the pigfucks are doing everything they can to stop this from happening, including ignoring a special session called by Evers yesterday afternoon.

Every major public health official and 10 mayors throughout the state have called for the election to be postponed and done by mail. From what I gather Evers is able to postpone the election via emergency powers, but he hasn't yet. I know for certain that the Dep of Health Secretary can use emergency powers to stop in-person voting, and maybe that's what Evers is angling for.

Either way, it is extremely fucked up that the Wisconsin GOP is blatantly jeopardizing public health because they know that low turnout favors them. (There's a WI Supreme Court seat on the ballot.) 

2 hours ago, 406W30th said:

Either way, it is 100% on-brand that the Wisconsin GOP is blatantly jeopardizing public health because they know that low turnout favors them. (There's a WI Supreme Court seat on the ballot.) 

FIFaccuracy.

This is what the party is.  They would rather cause people to fucking DIE than play by the rules of honesty and decency.  Calling the GOP a "death cult" is not hyperbole.  It's literally what they are.  They want YOU to die so THEY can remain in power.  They are in league with the murderous regime, and they must be removed from all power, ever office, down to dog catcher.

• Like 7

On 4/3/2020 at 9:16 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Argentina and Belgium also have mandatory voting and it’s always on a Sunday 

The GOP would love and abuse the Belgium vote by proxy law.  People who reside out of country or who have a doctors note certifying medical incapacity can assign their vote to someone else.  We would need to have a different setup.  Mail in allowed, but no proxy allowed.  If you are unconscious, you don't vote. 

Still, compulsory voting would be awesome overall. 

So Wisconsin, one of the bastions of voter suppression and gerrymandering, is still holding its primary/election on Tuesday, despite the very serious health risks posed by doing so. Milwaukee, which normally has 180 polling places, has been reduced to 5; it will be an absolute nightmare at those locations.
Governor Tony Evers (D) has repeatedly called for the (gerrymandered AF) Republican legislature to postpone and mail every registered voter a ballot. Naturally, the pigfucks are doing everything they can to stop this from happening, including ignoring a special session called by Evers yesterday afternoon.
Every major public health official and 10 mayors throughout the state have called for the election to be postponed and done by mail. From what I gather Evers is able to postpone the election via emergency powers, but he hasn't yet. I know for certain that the Dep of Health Secretary can use emergency powers to stop in-person voting, and maybe that's what Evers is angling for.
Either way, it is extremely fucked up that the Wisconsin GOP is blatantly jeopardizing public health because they know that low turnout favors them. (There's a WI Supreme Court seat on the ballot.) 

Does the National Guard/Police answer to him or someone else? Arrest all GOP members and then hold a vote to change the rules.

You cannot abide by the rules with the GOP.

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

FIFaccuracy.

This is what the party is.  They would rather cause people to fucking DIE than play by the rules of honesty and decency.  Calling the GOP a "death cult" is not hyperbole.  It's literally what they are.  They want YOU to die so THEY can remain in power.  They are in league with the murderous regime, and they must be removed from all power, ever office, down to dog catcher.

I’m trying to think of a legitimate argument that their actions shouldn’t qualify as depraved heart murder and I’m not seeing it.

If the Democrats take back the Senate and the White House and don’t eliminate the filibuster, pack the court, and bring DC and Puerto Rico into the Union, they honestly don’t deserve to be a functioning political party.  
Mitch McConnell would have made a 68 square mile historical oddity that voted 90% republican a state to Boost his majority by 2 senators 5 minutes after Donald Trump was sworn in.

The fact that this isn’t goal 1 for the Democrats shows how weak and broken they are as a party. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, Pancho said:

So for all the lawyers on here, what is the legitimate reason to overturn the lower court on this.  I mean its kind of obvious we are in the midst of a pandemic and getting people together will probably cause the virus to spread and kill people.  I get lower level operatives or even congressmen/senators trying to hold power but why are Supreme Court justices acting this way on straight party lines.  It seems reasonable to me that maybe they should you know postpone the election or let people have more time to mail in their ballots.  I guess McConnell figures that now that he stacked the court it doesn’t even matter who is President.  The Supreme Court will override anything the future President does, right?  Is that the end game?

I guess McConnell figures that now that he stacked the court it doesn’t even matter who is President.  The Supreme Court will override anything the future President does, right?  Is that the end game?

Nope. This is the end game. McConnell already has a “Supreme Court” that will rubber stamp whatever voter suppression or election rigging or other illegality the GOP does. No need to win elections anymore. Pass whatever corporate tax cuts you want, engage in whatever corruption you want, sell stocks instead of warning Americans of a pandemic, profit. And never face a true election again.

The GOP is acting like they will never be answerable to the voters. That’s because they know they won’t be.
  • Like 4

The RNC November playbook will be a very formidable force with the Supreme Court in their back pocket. 

When people cannot speak with their vote, they’ll speak by other means.
A society that removes the rule of law eventually ends up with the rule of violence. That these short-sighted idiots don’t see what they are making inevitable blows me away.
  • Like 1

just a preview of what's going to happen with the November election 

Or follow the lead of the 5 polling places for the entire city of Milwaukee that SCOTUS just okayed. During a pandemic no less.

Phoenix you get 6 polling places. Atlanta 7. Austin, you get 8. But those lazy libs didn’t bother to vote.

23 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Or follow the lead of the 5 polling places for the entire city of Milwaukee that SCOTUS just okayed. During a pandemic no less.

Phoenix you get 6 polling places. Atlanta 7. Austin, you get 8. But those lazy libs didn’t bother to vote.

That's been going on for some time. 5 polling places is an extreme though. not sure if that's being challenged in the courts though 

I almost hope the coronavirus becomes a huge hot spot in Wisconsin after tomorrow.

maybe people in Wisconsin would wake the fuck up and not vote for that crooked ass party again.

theres a special place in hell reserved for North Carolina and Wisconsin Republicans. These nasty fuckers don’t care about the will of the people and fair elections. They will stop at nothing to keep the democrats down and the weirdos who live in those states don’t ever punish these tyrants at the polls.

Edited by Voldemort86
  • Like 3

That's been going on for some time. 5 polling places is an extreme though. not sure if that's being challenged in the courts though 

The reason the governor entered an order to extend the time for absentee ballots was because Milwaukee was down to 5 polling places due to Covid-19. The Supreme Court just okayed letting the election go forward with only 5 polling places in Milwaukee.

I almost hope the coronavirus becomes a huge hot spot in Wisconsin after tomorrow.

maybe people in Wisconsin would wake the fuck up and not vote for that crooked ass party again.

I’m not sure why you think the people of Wisconsin haven’t woken the fuck up or are voting for that crooked ass party. They voted out the Republicans in the last governor’s race. The state legislature, voted in from extremely gerrymandered maps, and the state Supreme Court refused to extend voting, and approved the closure of the vast majority of polling places in urban areas, refusal to permit vote by mail during a pandemic, etc.

How the fuck are the people of Wisconsin going to overcome that at the polls? Or are you proposing violence in the state?
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So for all the lawyers on here, what is the legitimate reason to overturn the lower court on this. 

Roberts wants to cement the legacy of his Court as worst all-time, one-upping the Taney court’s protection of slavery by enabling the total destruction of democracy.

This news was just a punch in the gut. I knew the GOP was going to try as much as possible from different angles to suppress the vote not to mention the idiot in chief bragging about it, but the justices steamrolling the other four over something so weak, just wrenching. I had fond memories of the state from living there for so long but like everything the GOP touches, those died.

Look for me in November at the polls, Texas. I am no longer counting on early voting being available nor absentee ballot. While I suspect with gerrymandering they think Texas will be safe, I will be the one standing in line with a bucket of bleach and a washrag. I suggest you do the same.

Gut wrenching.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

theres a special place in hell reserved for North Carolina and Wisconsin Republicans. These nasty fuckers don’t care about the will of the people and fair elections. They will stop at nothing to keep the democrats down and the weirdos who live in those states don’t ever punish these tyrants at the polls.

In the state legislature races in 2018, Dems won 53% of the vote while Republicans got 45% but because the GOP gerrymandered the state so horrifically, Republicans hold 63 seats to the Dems' 36 seats. 

This isn't a question of simply being able to vote them out. This is like playing hockey against a team wearing skates while you're wearing slippers.

It feels like I have to root for a massive flare-up of coronavirus across the state to show anyone who votes Republican what a bunch of blood-stained ghouls the GOP is by forcing an election in the midst of a goddamn pandemic. My blood is fucking boiling right now and I'm ready to get out my pitchfork. 

• Like 3