Voter Suppression

Pancho

9 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So for all the lawyers on here, what is the legitimate reason to overturn the lower court on this.  I mean its kind of obvious we are in the midst of a pandemic and getting people together will probably cause the virus to spread and kill people.  I get lower level operatives or even congressmen/senators trying to hold power but why are Supreme Court justices acting this way on straight party lines.  It seems reasonable to me that maybe they should you know postpone the election or let people have more time to mail in their ballots.  I guess McConnell figures that now that he stacked the court it doesn’t even matter who is President.  The Supreme Court will override anything the future President does, right?  Is that the end game?

Because to five SCOTUS justices, the only legitimate election outcome is a republican victory, so everything that helps that is good and legal. That’s it, really. It’s a game of Calvinball to the conservative justices.

Laws are fake. We made them up. They’re only legitimate to the extent we all pretend they are and act as if they are, but the GOP gave up all pretense some time back. A good argument can be made that they never actually maintained that pretense (especially by black and brown people), and that we’re all idiots who are finally waking up to that truth.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Because to five SCOTUS justices, the only legitimate election outcome is a republican victory, so everything that helps that is good and legal. That’s it, really. It’s a game of Calvinball to the conservative justices.

Laws are fake. We made them up. They’re only legitimate to the extent we all pretend they are and act as if they are, but the GOP gave up all pretense some time back. A good argument can be made that they never actually maintained that pretense (especially by black and brown people), and that we’re all idiots who are finally waking up to that truth.

+rep for the whole post, but mainly for the Calvinball reference

38 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Bingo.  Someone put legal words on a page, and four people signed on to them.  Someone else also put legal words on a page to justify slavery, internment of Japanese Americans, and "separate but equal" schools.  There is no justification for this.

The Supreme Court just rubber stamped massive voter suppression with an added bonus of risking your life and the lives of your loved ones to vote.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 406W30th said:

Thread of the voter suppression in progress in Wisconsin:

I feel bad for those people.

15 other states had the sense to delay their primaries. Fuck Wisconsin Republicans. I hope the democrats somehow win that Supreme Court seat. I doubt it tho.

Edited by Voldemort86

This is fundamentally no different from the GOP hiring people to go to urban voting locations and just randomly shoot one out of every twenty or so voters and one out of every three poll workers.

We’ll allegedly have an election in November. It’s just that, in any states in which the voting laws are controlled by Republicans, Democratic districts will have no more than five to ten available voting locations and nobody to work even those.

Looking for some factual responses to R friends/family who claim absentee/mail ballots are just a scam by Ds for voter fraud. From memory, I feel like most fraud scandals lately have involved local R candidates. Is there a place where all of the recent fraud-type issues have been consolidated?

Looking for some factual responses to R friends/family who claim absentee/mail ballots are just a scam by Ds for voter fraud. From memory, I feel like most fraud scandals lately have involved local R candidates. Is there a place where all of the recent fraud-type issues have been consolidated?

North Carolina says “Howdy”!

11 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=republican+voter+fraud

No need. 100% of verified organized voter fraud was to support Republicans. There are no democrat examples.

8 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So are there really only 5 voting stations in all of Milwaukee?  Any idea how that compares to other cities with comparable populations? Just asking questions.

There were 180 polling places in Milwaukee.  175 of them closed, ostensibly due to lack of volunteers to man the polling places during a pandemic.  https://fox6now.com/2020/04/03/milwaukee-ids-5-in-person-voting-centers-for-election-day-expands-weekend-drive-up-hours/

Milwaukee has about 600k residents, so it's about 1 polling station to over 100,000 residents

I have no idea how that compares to other places, but as a minor point of comparison, my suburban town of about 35,000 population has 12 polling locations.  But then again it's majority white and in a blue state.

so let's have some fun with math. (i actually saw bad numbers - 290,000 voters for 5 stations)

i know all 60,000* won't show up at each polling place at the same time, but let's pretend they did.

given the social distancing guidelines are 6 feet.  that means the line to vote at each station would be 360,000 feet long. 

that's 68 miles.  the lines from different polling places would be visible from lines from other polling places.

i really hope right-minded employers close their businesses on november 3rd.  with this being a census year, i would say the stakes are high.

Edited by henrygandorf
bad numbers

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

so let's have some fun with math.

i know all 10,000 won't show up at each polling place at the same time, but let's pretend they did.

given the social distancing guidelines are 6 feet.  that means the line to vote at each station would be 60,000 feet long. 

that's 12 miles.  the lines from different polling places would be visible from lines from other polling places.

i really hope right-minded employers close their businesses on november 3rd.  with this being a census year, i would say the stakes are high.

It's actually about 120,000 residents to polling station.  So even your math is if less than 10% of them vote. That's an 11 mile line.

13 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

so let's have some fun with math. (i actually saw bad numbers - 290,000 voters for 5 stations)

i know all 60,000* won't show up at each polling place at the same time, but let's pretend they did.

given the social distancing guidelines are 6 feet.  that means the line to vote at each station would be 360,000 feet long. 

that's 68 miles.  the lines from different polling places would be visible from lines from other polling places.

No one is closing unless it’s a national holiday. And it won’t be because Moscow Mitch says so

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

You might try looking at The Bannon Center for Justice. They have several articles:

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/debunking-voter-fraud-myth

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/resources-voter-fraud-claims

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/research-reports/their-own-words-officials-refuting-false-claims-voter-fraud

• Like 1

Also, this one would take a little more time but it is a collection of resources and abstracts relating to voter fraud (at the bottom of the article)

https://journalistsresource.org/studies/politics/elections/voter-fraud-perceptions-political-spin/

Good luck; the GOP and their media has run a very solid disinformation campaign with respect to this issue. I hear the talking points, heard one today as a matter of fact. Have heard R poll workers say that, too. Trying to point out the facts has not been very successful but now I at the point with Trumpers that I just flat out say, "Don't lie to me. That is a lie and you must prove the truth."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

Everyone who is outraged by this disgusting GOP voter suppression, please call your representatives and demand that voting-by-mail is included in the next stimulus package.

Well, the GOP just managed to ensure that it is a must-have public health measure.  So, good job.

And no, they will never agree to it.  And the Dems should not compromise a single inch on it.  If the GOP wants to kill people and destroy the country so they can keep the right to steal elections held during public health emergencies, let the fucking ghouls do it in the full light of day.

This is EXACTLY who you are, GOP.  Fucking ghouls who have LITERALLY happily put American lives at risk so they can continue to hold onto power as a minority power.  

What y’all don’t realize is that if the US supreme court veers out of control overturning laws declaring them unconstitutional, the simple remedy is to just ignore it. There’s nothing in the constitution that gives the Supreme Court the right or power to overturn laws based on the constitution.  

If the Republican supreme courts wants to become an illegitimate body, well let it. I don’t think they will but the only thing that give the Supreme Court the power to declare a law unconstitutional is the congress, the executive and the people’s willingness to let them. It ain’t written in the constitution itself, and that’s probably for a reason. 

17 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Are you from Wisconsin?

do you think the election results will be bad news?

Yeah, I live in Milwaukee. As for the results, it's obviously hard to predict right now but I think most people on the left are pessimistic about the Supreme Court race, if only because they think turnout is low. Now, if it's low across the board then perhaps there should be some optimism, as it would make sense that the left is more energized in this particular moment. I think there were a lot of people who specifically went out to vote in order to give the GOP the middle finger.

The Supreme Court race was the only race of any consequence, statewide, but there were a few referendums and other judicial races that got people out to vote in Milwaukee. The last Supreme Court race, last Spring, was decided by less than 6,000 votes. In this race, it was a Walker appointee (Dan Kelly) vs. a progressive from Madison (Jill Karofsky). 

50 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

Yeah, I live in Milwaukee. As for the results, it's obviously hard to predict right now but I think most people on the left are pessimistic about the Supreme Court race, if only because they think turnout is low. Now, if it's low across the board then perhaps there should be some optimism, as it would make sense that the left is more energized in this particular moment. I think there were a lot of people who specifically went out to vote in order to give the GOP the middle finger.

The Supreme Court race was the only race of any consequence, statewide, but there were a few referendums and other judicial races that got people out to vote in Milwaukee. The last Supreme Court race, last Spring, was decided by less than 6,000 votes. In this race, it was a Walker appointee (Dan Kelly) vs. a progressive from Madison (Jill Karofsky). 

I hope the people in your state remember this shit in November.

evers and state democrats need to make sure people never forget. It must be very frustrating to be a Wisconsin Democrat because you guys literally get the shaft on every single thing.

at least your vote still matters in the outcome of things and Wisconsin is still looked as a swing state. Try to keep your head up and keep voting. Stay safe.

This seems like the right place to monitor this:

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/04/07/democrats-sue-texas-officials-vote-mail-during-coronavirus-pandemic/

With primary election runoffs scheduled for July and the November general election on the horizon, the Texas Democratic Party has expanded its ongoing fight for more widespread mail-in balloting to federal court, fearful that a Monday U.S. Supreme Court decision on the Wisconsin presidential primary signals a need to get federal litigation in the pipeline quickly.

In a federal lawsuit filed Tuesday in San Antonio, the Texas Democrats argue that holding traditional elections within state and federal safety guidelines attempting to limit spread of the new coronavirus pandemic would impose unconstitutional and illegal burdens on voters unless state law is clarified to expand voting by mail.

Voting by mail is fairly limited in the state. Texans seeking an absentee ballot that they can fill out at home and mail to their county elections office must offer an excuse to qualify. To be eligible under typical circumstances, a voter has to be 65 years or older, have a disability or illness, be out of the county during the election period, or be confined in jail.

The Texas election code says voters have a disability if they have a “sickness or physical condition” that prevents them from voting in person without the likelihood of “injuring the voter’s health.”

In a recent advisory, the Texas secretary of state’s office signaled that the state’s voting-by-mail qualifications could extend to voters affected by the pandemic but provided no explanation of how eligibility could be expanded so more Texans can qualify for absentee ballots.

In their lawsuit, the Democrats argue the advisory “unhelpfully” gave local election administrators “no material guidance” on who can qualify to vote by mail under the circumstances brought on by the pandemic.

“Left without Court intervention, the state will march toward upcoming elections with no plan in place,” the Democrats wrote in their complaint, in which they allege multiple violations of the U.S. Constitution and the federal Voting Rights Act.

The Democrats previously filed a lawsuit in state district court asking a judge to declare that the portion of the Texas election code allowing voters with disabilities to cast mail-in ballots applies to any voter in Texas "if they believe they should practice social distancing in order to hinder" the spread of the new coronavirus. The federal case, they argued, would put the court in a position to act if state court rulings “serve to harm” the rights of voters or are delayed.

In their lawsuit, the Democrats also said they were taking their fight to federal court to allow the case more time to proceed and be appealed if necessary after the U.S. Supreme Court issued a narrow ruling Monday that blocked extended voting by mail in Wisconsin on the eve of that state's primary election. The Democrats argued the high court “served notice” that challenges to alter voting methods or election procedures should be filed early. The state case is moving forward with a hearing scheduled for April 15.

17 hours ago, 406W30th said:

Everyone who is outraged by this disgusting GOP voter suppression, please call your representatives and demand that voting-by-mail is included in the next stimulus package.

Well you see, my representatives are republicans, so they don't give a flying fuck what I want.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, The Royal We said:

What a bunch of bullshit.

That sums it up.  It's the saddest thing I've seen thus far -- this country being turned into a third rate, third world, authoritarian shithole right in front of our faces. A Supreme Court designed to disavow common law and common sense in favor of protecting one party by shoving a giant, red, white and blue dildo right up a gaping loophole. "Fuck everybody"should be added to the national anthem.