Voter Suppression

Pancho

I'm really starting to wonder what the reaction will be if dotard "wins" in November and it's clear the process was manipulated.  I can't imagine most people are going to just throw up their hands and have the "ah, well, nevertheless" reaction anymore.  We know that if dotard loses, his supporters will be all "rabble rabble rabble", but most likely not really do anything.  I don't think the rest of us will give up our democracy so easily.  It's going to be a really fascinating time.

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm really starting to wonder what the reaction will be if dotard "wins" in November and it's clear the process was manipulated.  I can't imagine most people are going to just throw up their hands and have the "ah, well, nevertheless" reaction anymore.  We know that if dotard loses, his supporters will be all "rabble rabble rabble", but most likely not really do anything.  I don't think the rest of us will give up our democracy so easily.  It's going to be a really fascinating time.

I’d put the chances of Trump winning with manipulated results at well north of 80%.  And nothing of consequence will happen.  Sure, there will be lots of outrage, but a few months (or weeks) after the illegitimate “election”, the attention of the public and the media will have moved on to the next set of treason, criminality or abject failure by Trump and his Republican sycophants.  Everyone will be talking about how to replace Trump in 2024.  There haven’t been any meaningful consequences for any of it to date - so why would this be any different?  We passed the point where widespread violence is justified to remove Trump and other Republicans from office a long, long time ago.  Another rigged election will just be another thing that they can, and will, get away with.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

I’d put the chances of Trump winning with manipulated results at well north of 80%.  And nothing of consequence will happen.  Sure, there will be lots of outrage, but a few months (or weeks) after the illegitimate “election”, the attention of the public and the media will have moved on to the next set of treason, criminality or abject failure by Trump and his Republican sycophants.  Everyone will be talking about how to replace Trump in 2024.  There haven’t been any meaningful consequences for any of it to date - so why would this be any different?  We passed the point where widespread violence is justified to remove Trump and other Republicans from office a long, long time ago.  Another rigged election will just be another thing that they can, and will, get away with.  

If this is what happens then it’s all over. I really think people aren’t going to tolerate the destruction of democracy any longer. But if I’m wrong in that sense, there will be a mass exodus out of this country. And I will probably be one of them. 

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I really think people aren’t going to tolerate the destruction of democracy any longer.

I have had this thought at many, many points over the past three years.  And nothing really happens.  And then we all move on to the next thing.  

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm really starting to wonder what the reaction will be if dotard "wins" in November and it's clear the process was manipulated.  

If?  I think it's when.  Hell the Republicans have been out there screaming about nonexistent voter fraud for years.  And thus getting Dems on camera saying repeatedly it doesn't exist.  Meanwhile the Republicans have been quietly and not so quietly rigging elections.

• Like 1

I want to be for mail in ballots.

Can someone tell me how they verify who is still alive and living at the current residence? When they send out the ballot, how do they keep them from being copied, etc? What verification process is there that it is an original ballot and that berson filled it out?

I tried to Google, but all I could find is information on how one votes by mail, but not the overall process.

Thanks.

23 minutes ago, BNB said:

I want to be for mail in ballots.

Can someone tell me how they verify who is still alive and living at the current residence? When they send out the ballot, how do they keep them from being copied, etc? What verification process is there that it is an original ballot and that berson filled it out?

I tried to Google, but all I could find is information on how one votes by mail, but not the overall process.

Thanks.

We recently had an entirely mail in municipal election in my town.  The town mailed all registered voters a ballot.  Essentially, I placed the ballot in a sealed envelope and had to sign the envelope (there's signature matching once received) and the envelope also had a bar code such that they can check who returned ballots and that only 1 ballot per voter is returned.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lemonlime said:

We recently had an entirely mail in municipal election in my town.  The town mailed all registered voters a ballot.  Essentially, I placed the ballot in a sealed envelope and had to sign the envelope (there's signature matching once received) and the envelope also had a bar code such that they can check who returned ballots and that only 1 ballot per voter is returned.

That's exactly how we do it in Washington State.  We also have ballot drop boxes around the city.

Now, I just want someone to figure out a way to make my TV stop showing campaign ads during sports after I've put my ballot in the mail.

On 5/16/2020 at 12:57 PM, Jack Straw said:

Yep, that's why I've been on the ledge for a while.  This is the most likely scenario of all. 

22 hours ago, lemonlime said:

Republicans know it can be done efficiently and safely.  That’s why they are against it.

On 8/21/2018 at 1:04 PM, atomheartbevo said:

If you wanted to help Cruz, start challenging poor people after faking address changes.  

Not surprised at all by anything Republicans do in Texas anymore.  They are scared shitless of brown and poor people.  

They're also scared of the educated.

• Like 1

Georgia is really next level when it comes to voter suppression. I fully expect Texas to pass a similar law, ASAP 

Georgia gov canceled an Supreme Court justice election and can appoint someone until the next general election in 2022. A justice is retiring after the 2020 general election date.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/5/19/21262376/georgia-republicans-cancel-election-state-supreme-court-barrow-kemp-blackwell

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Georgia is really next level when it comes to voter suppression. I fully expect Texas to pass a similar law, ASAP 

Georgia gov canceled an Supreme Court justice election and can appoint someone until the next general election in 2022. A justice is retiring after the 2020 general election date.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/5/19/21262376/georgia-republicans-cancel-election-state-supreme-court-barrow-kemp-blackwell

Fuck Georgia.  Where you at Abrams?  Isn't this exactly what Fair Fight is supposed to be fighting?

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I know the perfect project for Vice President Abrams. 

On 5/16/2020 at 12:38 PM, Biff Tannen said:

What will you do? 

16 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Update on Texas vote by mail. Federal judge in SA says universal vote by mail can happen and anyone can apply. Says the age requirement is wack, his words not mine (my words). Will obviously be challenged

texas supreme court gets bypassed, then.  we'll see what the 5th circuit says

Abrams is a loser and a hack. She’s too chickenshit to run for anything else because she knows if she loses again she’ll be forgotten. For now she can milk her martyr status for as long as possible. Her lobbying to be VP is pathetic, Biden doesn’t want that baggage. He should pick Harris. 

7 hours ago, elfenix said:

texas supreme court gets bypassed, then.  we'll see what the 5th circuit says

Man I would love to vote by mail because it’s common sense with the corona virus lurking around.

im not getting my hopes up tho. Ken “indictment” Paxton is going to do all he can to squash this.

On 5/16/2020 at 5:27 PM, StassneyHorn said:

I want to believe if 3 out of 6 presidential elections end with the winner losing the popular vote and all being the same party, there’d be riots.

When do you think people will catch on start to riot over the fact that California and New York have the same number of senators as Wyoming or Alabama?

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

You really have to admire this loser’s use of capital letters on voter fraud as if it was even a real issue.

This is just like when Bibi took to Israeli TV Land in one of his recent elections. He was imploring the Jews to get out and vote because the Arabs were voting in impressive numbers. 

because of course they did:

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/05/20/federal-appeals-court-temporarily-blocks-voting-mail-expansion-texas/

A federal appeals court has temporarily put on hold a lower court’s sweeping ruling that would have allowed all Texas voters to qualify to vote by mail during the coronavirus pandemic.

Siding with Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, a three-judge panel of the U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals on Wednesday blocked a preliminary injunction issued just a day before by U.S. District Judge Fred Biery. The panel granted what's known as an administrative stay, which stops Biery's ruling from taking effect while the court considers if it will issue an injunction nullifying it during the entire appeals process.

Biery’s ruling covered Texas voters "who seek to vote by mail to avoid transmission of the virus” under the age of 65 who would ordinarily not qualify for mail-in ballots. The appeals court’s action reverts the state to existing qualifications that limit absentee ballots to voters who are 65 years or older. Texans under 65 can only qualify for a mail-in ballot if they cite a disability or illness, if they’ll be out of the county during the election period, or are confined in jail.

It’s the latest in a legal tennis match that in the last week alone has twice opened and then shut the door on a massive expansion in absentee voting in Texas as federal and state courts consider challenges to the state’s rules for mail-in voting. The issue is likely on a path to the U.S. Supreme Court as Texas Republican officials continue to resist expanding voting by mail during the pandemic in contrast to officials in other states, including several led by Republicans.

The Texas Tribune thanks its sponsors. Become one.

Man I would love to vote by mail because it’s common sense with the corona virus lurking around.
im not getting my hopes up tho. Ken “indictment” Paxton is going to do all he can to squash this.

It’s interesting but it does present some challenges. Don’t know about Texas but in Georgia the ballots can’t be opened until election day. Do now you have to open and count hundreds of thousands of ballots by hand starting on election day.

57 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s interesting but it does present some challenges. Don’t know about Texas but in Georgia the ballots can’t be opened until election day. Do now you have to open and count hundreds of thousands of ballots by hand starting on election day.

That’s so dumb. They should be opened, verified, read, then counted as they come in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

In Texas the early voting and absentee vote results are ready as soon as the polls close 

• Like 1

because of course they did:
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/05/20/federal-appeals-court-temporarily-blocks-voting-mail-expansion-texas/
A federal appeals court has temporarily put on hold a lower court’s sweeping ruling that would have allowed all Texas voters to qualify to vote by mail during the coronavirus pandemic.
Siding with Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, a three-judge panel of the U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals on Wednesday blocked a preliminary injunction issued just a day before by U.S. District Judge Fred Biery. The panel granted what's known as an administrative stay, which stops Biery's ruling from taking effect while the court considers if it will issue an injunction nullifying it during the entire appeals process.
Biery’s ruling covered Texas voters "who seek to vote by mail to avoid transmission of the virus” under the age of 65 who would ordinarily not qualify for mail-in ballots. The appeals court’s action reverts the state to existing qualifications that limit absentee ballots to voters who are 65 years or older. Texans under 65 can only qualify for a mail-in ballot if they cite a disability or illness, if they’ll be out of the county during the election period, or are confined in jail.
It’s the latest in a legal tennis match that in the last week alone has twice opened and then shut the door on a massive expansion in absentee voting in Texas as federal and state courts consider challenges to the state’s rules for mail-in voting. The issue is likely on a path to the U.S. Supreme Court as Texas Republican officials continue to resist expanding voting by mail during the pandemic in contrast to officials in other states, including several led by Republicans.
The Texas Tribune thanks its sponsors. Become one.

The 5th circuit has given up on being a legitimate, respectable court, in favor of being just another partisan tool that employs (wait for it, the irony) shameless judicial activism. It’s a damned shame.

I don’t understand why the GOP is fighting the mail-in vote thing so hard, when Trump installed one of his lackeys as postmaster general.

Shouldn’t they have a decided schematic advantage?