Voter Suppression

Pancho

On 5/20/2020 at 5:18 PM, hayden_horn said:

The extra attention to this has exposed that as of right now, you only need to mark disability on your mail in ballot application and there is no area where you write the reason. If you want to vote by mail you can get one and there’s no kind of verification.

https://webservices.sos.state.tx.us/forms/5-15f.pdf

20 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

The extra attention to this has exposed that as of right now, you only need to mark disability on your mail in ballot application and there is no area where you write the reason. If you want to vote by mail you can get one and there’s no kind of verification.

https://webservices.sos.state.tx.us/forms/5-15f.pdf

But by doing so don't you basically admit to voter fraud? If they audit those ballots won't that give them a legal reason to throw them out?

• Like 1

I assume that the concern is that if early numbers are leaked they could affect voter turnout.

Correct. And the early votes essentially ARE tabulated once they are complete - that’s why the early vote results are released immediately when the polls close.

Meanwhile, in Philadelphia...

A former Philadelphia judge of elections pleaded guilty in federal court to stuffing ballots in return for bribes during primary elections between 2014 and 2016.

Domenick Demuro, 73, admitted during a sealed proceeding in March to using his position as an elections judge, which granted him the responsibility of overseeing the entire election process in his jurisdiction, to add fraudulent votes for politicians supported by an unidentified political consultant who had paid him bribes ranging from $300 to $5,000 per election.

https://dailycaller.com/2020/05/21/philadelphia-elections-judge-pleads-guilty-election-fraud/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inquirer.com/news/voter-fraud-philadelphia-ward-leader-judge-of-elections-domenick-demuro-guilty-plea-20200521.html%3foutputType=amp

Domenick J. DeMuro, 73, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to deprive Philadelphia voters of their civil rights by fraudulently stuffing the ballot boxes for the judicial candidates and for other candidates seeking office in the 2014 and 2016 primary elections.

He cheated other Democrats.

3 hours ago, Longhorn said:

A former Philadelphia judge of elections pleaded guilty in federal court to stuffing ballots in return for bribes during primary elections between 2014 and 2016.

Domenick Demuro, 73, admitted during a sealed proceeding in March to using his position as an elections judge, which granted him the responsibility of overseeing the entire election process in his jurisdiction, to add fraudulent votes for politicians supported by an unidentified political consultant who had paid him bribes ranging from $300 to $5,000 per election.

https://dailycaller.com/2020/05/21/philadelphia-elections-judge-pleads-guilty-election-fraud/

29 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inquirer.com/news/voter-fraud-philadelphia-ward-leader-judge-of-elections-domenick-demuro-guilty-plea-20200521.html%3foutputType=amp

Domenick J. DeMuro, 73, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to deprive Philadelphia voters of their civil rights by fraudulently stuffing the ballot boxes for the judicial candidates and for other candidates seeking office in the 2014 and 2016 primary elections.

He cheated other Democrats.

Yeah I brought this up in the Mail In Voting thread.  Eagerly awaiting an answer that I'm sure I'll never get.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah I brought this up in the Mail In Voting thread.  Eagerly awaiting an answer that I'm sure I'll never get.

I brought this up in the Mail In Voting thread, but if Longhorn actually read the article he would see that the alleged fraud took place with in person voting and this has nothing to do with mail in voting.  The defendant allegedly stood in a voting booth and cast fraudulent votes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Don't even fucking bother with this.  Everyone with a functioning brain and self-respect knows he's lying and those who don't know or don't care can't be convinced with facts. 

All the media needs to be concerned with and asking him about is his response to CV and and the nearly 100k deaths that he's responsible for and the 15% unemployment, the millions of Americans who can't collect it, that's a direct correlation to his mismanagement.

The media has to be better about this.  They won't.  But they need to be.

9 hours ago, Longhorn said:

clearly people need to wait in line at the DMV for hours in order to prevent this from happening.

Edited by elfenix

10 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

What am I responding to? The judge was paid to go into an election booth and voted over an over again for a candidate. What am I missing?

8 hours ago, lemonlime said:

I brought this up in the Mail In Voting thread, but if Longhorn actually read the article he would see that the alleged fraud took place with in person voting and this has nothing to do with mail in voting.  The defendant allegedly stood in a voting booth and cast fraudulent votes.

Go back and read post #28. Breathe a few times, comprehend, and then come back. It’ll be fine.

Voter suppression doesn't have to be absolute to work.  If a small percentage of voters don't feel comfortable with checking a box that says they're disabled and don't feel safe voting in person because of the virus, then that's still voter suppression.  70,000 votes over 3 states decided the 2016 election.  Also, the party that's constantly trying to suppress voting isn't about to announce to the world, "just check the box that says you have a disability."  They're going to do the opposite.  

• Like 2

just got a wapost alert that a federal judge gutted florida's requirement that felons pay fines prior to getting their right to vote back.  link went to a covid story tho

Edit: found it

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/federal-judge-guts-florida-law-requiring-felons-to-pay-fines-before-they-can-vote/2020/05/24/a7f553ba-9c3a-11ea-a2b3-5c3f2d1586df_story.html

edit2:

The law, critics said, had made it virtually impossible for most felons to register, either because of an inability to pay or because the state offered no way for them to know what they owed or whether they had already paid.

U.S. District Judge Robert L. Hinkle agreed, likening the restrictive legislation to a tax and concluding that the state had not created a system that would allow felons to identify their financial obligations.

“The Twenty-Fourth Amendment precludes Florida from conditioning voting in federal elections on payment of these fees and costs,” he wrote, referring to the constitutional amendment that bans poll taxes.

Hinkle did not find, however, that the law intentionally discriminated on the basis of race, as the plaintiffs had argued, because of the disproportionate number of African Americans among the state’s population of felons.

Hinkle’s order requires the state to tell felons whether they are eligible to vote and what they owe. It also requires the state to allow any felon to register if they are not given an answer within 21 days. No one will face perjury charges for registering and voting through this process, he ordered.

Edited by elfenix

12 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

The RNC isn’t an intelligent organization. A wise person once said “ pick your battles”.

The GOP has nothing to gain from this. Trump is losing California no matter what. Is this about trump trying to win the popular vote?

9 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

wait, wait, wait. I've been told my whole life that R's want to limit big government and let things shake out at the state and local levels. you mean the R's lied to me?

no, i have it on good authority that the democrats are still the party after raw, naked power. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

The RNC isn’t an intelligent organization. A wise person once said “ pick your battles”.

The GOP has nothing to gain from this. Trump is losing California no matter what. Is this about trump trying to win the popular vote?

they know if the case can hit the supreme court, it'll be ruled in their favor

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

The RNC is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Trump Organization. Intelligence is not their brand. 

• Like 1

Selfishly I will hate that increased mail-in ballots will eliminate knowing the results of many elections on election night but we have to do something about the hours long wait in many precincts. If people only had to wait 10-15 minutes and lines can be policed to have 6 ft distancing, the chance of covid-19 spreading is lowered.

the mail in balloting for all seems that it will naturally end up in the SCOTUS in 2021 or 22. Roberts will allow it but my money is that he applies some narrow ruling about a national pandemic requirement. Then everyone wins and loses..

Wait.....telling people how to vote is "rigging" an election?  Every election judge I've ever met will be surprised to hear that.

Telling people who to vote for is "rigging" an election?  Interesting....so Trump is rigging the election when he tells people to vote for him?  Interedasting indeed.

21 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Is this more grandstanding? Does he have any authority to do that?

the state AG would.  dunno if the gov in florida can formally tell the AG what to do or not.  even if not, the gov is probably highly influential. 

TX Supreme Court ruling that lack of immunity for coronavirus does not qualify as disability. Page 2, but mostly last paragraph on page 23 get into how the Election administrators can’t look into it. If any legal eagles want to tell me this is wrong, please do.

“The State has conceded that Respondents have no discretion to do anything but determine whether the voter is entitled to vote by mail and process the application accordingly.” The State acknowledges that the Election Code does not require election clerks to “investigate each applicant’s disability.” Indeed, the Legislature rejected the requirement of a physician’s proof of disability for mail-in voting applications when it amended the Election Code in 1981.And the application form provided by the Secretary of State requires only that voters check a box indicating  whether the reason seeking a ballot by mail is a disability. The voter is not instructed to declare the nature of the underlying disability.The elected officials have placed in the hands of the voter the determination of whether in-person voting will cause a likelihood of injury due to a physical condition. The respondents do not have a ministerial duty, reviewable by mandamus, to look beyond the application to vote by mail. Moreover, while the State has alleged that the Clerks are accepting “improper application,” there is no evidence in the record that any has accepted a faulty application.

https://www.txcourts.gov/media/1446711/200394.pdf

Edited by StassneyHorn