Voter Suppression

Pancho

State Farm Arena, the Atlanta Hawks basketball court, will be a voting precinct for early voting. Helps to have a wide open place with A/C and seating available. Don’t know much about early voting in Georgia, but hopefully Abrams has seen the countywide early voting models that Texas did in our primaries this year with the largest counties and is getting word out. Would love to tune i  election night and only focus on Gwinnett county

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/fulton-county/state-farm-arena-approved-new-voting-location-georgia-2020-elections/BLOPKSGCOFC3DG6WIUOZPT6XHY/

Black voters, on average, wait 45 minutes longer to vote than white voters; Latino voters wait 46 minutes longer. One study, from the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida, found that black and Latino voters in Florida were more than two times as likely to have their mail-in ballots rejected as white voters—because of a mix of voter error and how the state processes ballots.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/06/voter-suppression-novembers-looming-election-crisis/613408/

1 minute ago, Voldemort86 said:

The DNC needs to push Minorities to take advantage of early voting and mail in voting as much as possible to combat this.

I really don't understand why you would not vote early if your state has it.  Who the fuck wants to stand in line for hours on a tuesday after work?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I really don't understand why you would not vote early if your state has it.  Who the fuck wants to stand in line for hours on a tuesday after work?

Said it before- The only thing wrong with voting early is that it doesn't mean that they stop showing political ads on your TV.

10 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

jfc

You expected any different?

We have to win at the ballot box, and add another 3-4% to what we should need to make up for the naked voter suppression.

This is the election where we decide if we want a Republic or not.  And the GOP has made sure that the process is an uphill climb for us.  

They will destroy the Republic in order to hold on to power.  Never, ever, ever forget that.  They are evil.  And they must be punished in every election, for every race, from here until we are dead, and then into the afterlife if we can.  Vote against the Republican in every race.  They only understand power, and pain.  So let's take back power, and inflict pain.  Then, when they cry out that they've changed, they'll do better next time.....keep doing it (because they're lying, it's what they do).  Inflict electoral pain on them until they don't have the strength to respond.

Then piss on the ashes.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We have to win at the ballot box, and add another 3-4% to what we should need to make up for the naked voter suppression.

This is the election where we decide if we want a Republic or not.  And the GOP has made sure that the process is an uphill climb for us.  

They will destroy the Republic in order to hold on to power.  Never, ever, ever forget that.  They are evil.  And they must be punished in every election, for every race, from here until we are dead, and then into the afterlife if we can.  Vote against the Republican in every race.  They only understand power, and pain.  So let's take back power, and inflict pain.  Then, when they cry out that they've changed, they'll do better next time.....keep doing it (because they're lying, it's what they do).  Inflict electoral pain on them until they don't have the strength to respond.

Then piss on the ashes.

I'm not into dudes, but if you want to ever want to have a domestic partner I think you and I would get along great

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Then piss on the ashes.

Then salt the earth the ashes are buried in. Then burn it. Then excavate it and launch it into the fucking sun. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

And now the Detroit Pistons arena will be used as a voting location. Atlanta was the first. Both Michigan and Georgia are states that could go either way. Would love to see Cuban or Pop be vocal about doing something similar.

this is a trend I can completely get behind. well done - now more jump on board!

23 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

They need to change the name from early voting to just voting so people. People are dumb.

• Like 1

This could go in several threads, but just voted in the runoff and 2 of the 3 volunteers running the booths were under 30 and there were at least 6 under 30 people voting.  On a Tuesday.  During early voting.  For a runoff.  That gives me some hope.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Milwaukee Bucks are third NBA team looking to host a voting location inside their arena. 

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/milwaukee/2020/07/01/bucks-partner-lebron-james-make-fiserv-forum-voting-site/5360542002/

This is so awesome. I like that they are specifically targeting cities and states that have had voter issues recently.

i have to wonder if Wisconsin republicans will try and step in. Those guys are the lowest of the low. They are a step lower then dog shit in my mind.

Edited by Voldemort86

On 7/1/2020 at 6:47 PM, Biff Tannen said:

This could go in several threads, but just voted in the runoff and 2 of the 3 volunteers running the booths were under 30 and there were at least 6 under 30 people voting.  On a Tuesday.  During early voting.  For a runoff.  That gives me some hope.

Voted early in Conroe. All the volunteers were in Covid's kill zone. There's no hope for Montgomery County. Ever.

Quick aside, I've had 2 conversations with low info olds in Conroe about political issues recently. It was not surprising that they both thought Dems were out to take away health care (1 thought they wanted to END medicare) and raise taxes on retirees to pay for college. And yes, they thought highly of the ACA, but despise Obamacare. I didn't take a moment to wonder how the fuck because we all know how the fuck. I'm sure they'll both be adorning their cars with Tucker Carlson '24 stickers when they're available.

On 6/30/2020 at 5:03 PM, Biff Tannen said:

We’re all on a political board so we can’t wait to vote. Some people appear to wait to decide if they will vote on Election Day.

SIAP 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/the-supreme-court-just-handed-down-some-truly-awful-news-for-voting-rights/ar-BB16j38M

Sample:

Notably, the Supreme Court’s order in Merrill was joined only by the Court’s five Republicans. All four Democratic appointees dissented. Neither side explained why they voted the way that they did.

The Texas case

The Texas case, meanwhile, is Texas Democratic Party v. Abbott, and the stakes in that case are simply enormous.

Texas law permits voters over the age of 65 to request absentee ballots without difficulty. But most voters under the age of 65 are not allowed to vote absentee. During a pandemic election, that means that older voters — a demographic that has historically favored Republicans over Democrats — will have a fairly easy time participating in the November election. But younger voters will likely have to risk infection at an in-person polling site if they wish to cast a ballot.

The Court’s order in Texas Democratic Party is subtle, but it most likely means that Texas will be able to deny or abridge the right to vote on account of age, at least during the November election.

The arena thing is really interesting and makes a ton of sense.  I was thinking that DKR would be a great spot for voting as well, particularly if the virus is still raging.  The virus seems to not transmit as much outdoors, so holding voting at least in the concourses (if not the field) would be a great option.

Unfortunately, I imagine it would be shot down since it's a state university and in a state run by the people who want as little voting as possible.  

GOP voter suppression in Iowa appears to have backfired as Democrat leaning counties will be mailing ballot requests to all of their voters while republican leaning counties will not.

Guess we’ll see if the state or the federal government ( fat orange fuck) steps in.

• Like 1