Voter Suppression

Pancho

If Election Day was a holiday, I think a lot of people would take the day off and not vote.
If I were in charge I'd give my employees 2-3 hours paid leave to vote.

Gotta close all stores, bars, lakes, beaches, etc. if you make it a holiday. No way the average American votes on a holiday.

Now, the way to do it, is to hand each voter a $100 government check as they walk out of the voting booth. That’d easily get us to over 80% participation.

I’ve always agreed with the above.  Time is not the bottleneck for low voter participation.  It is apathy and procedure.  Cure apathy, make voting easier, voting rates will go up. 

you might even see it go down.  We talk about long lines on here all the time.  If we had a dedicated day for voting, it would induce people to wait until that day to vote instead of earlier voting, concentrating people to a single moment.  So now you have people that ordinarily would have voted being discouraged from voting. 

Not sure where to really put this, but one of the more underhanded and unnoticed dismantlings of an important institution.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/02/907984631/at-voice-of-america-trump-appointee-sought-political-influence-over-coverage

At the Voice of America, staffers say the Trump appointee leading their parent agency is threatening to wash away legal protections intended to insulate their news reports from political meddling.

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Gotta close all stores, bars, lakes, beaches, etc. if you make it a holiday. No way the average American votes on a holiday.

Now, the way to do it, is to hand each voter a $100 government check as they walk out of the voting booth. That’d easily get us to over 80% participation.

You think we should spend 33 Billion dollars a year getting people to vote? Sorry, lets go with 26.4 Billion, or 80%. You think that's not only feasible, but will be accepted by the general public as a good use of tax dollars and resources?

Also outside of the complications of it being a check, needing to have a checking account (not all poor do) and whatnot, there's the fact lots of folks will vote as many times as possible and not give a fuck if their vote gets thrown out and dare the courts to arrest and charge them with a felony. Then you're crowding up the courts, etc. Seems like an imperfect decision at best after the 15 seconds of thought I've given it. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I disagree,  I think people would take full advantage of it and not have the stress of having to try to squeeze in time off of work without knowing how long it will take.

That has always been a real choice people who are paid by the hour and live paycheck to paycheck have to make, and it drives down the collective say from those that need it the most.

I don’t think lakes and beaches on Election Day in November would be overrun any more than usual.  People completely skipping voting for the president to go to the lake, are probably the type that we are all better off with not voting anyway.

And it’s not taking away early voting if you want to make plans.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Of course Brian Kemp stole the election. That was obvious in real time. 

As for this year, Georgia is by far the most likely state the republicans will steal again both for trump and the 2 senate seats. It’s a white v. Black thing and Georgia is tied with Alabama for most racist state in the nation after Mississippi of course. I think I’m some aspects Georgia beats out bama on that but it’s really really close. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

As for this year, Georgia is by far the most likely state the republicans will steal again both for trump and the 2 senate seats. It’s a white v. Black thing and Georgia is tied with Alabama for most racist state in the nation after Mississippi of course. I think I’m some aspects Georgia beats out bama on that but it’s really really close. 

Yep. This is not new. 

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

I’d rank it:

1.) Mississippi 

2.) Alabama

3.) Kentucky

4.) Louisiana 

5.) Texas A&M

6.) Georgia

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

I see you've never been to North Dakota, or at least weren't a minority, or with a minority there.   I even lived in Mississippi for a few years when I was little, and several moves later, North Dakota, and ND was far more racist - first and only time I ever heard one white person calling another white person  "n----- lover" and I was the one being called that because we oilfield kids (doodlebugger kids ftw) were sticking together.  Those motherfuckers should have been overjoyed that our parents were there doing some serious oil exploration, since some of them were going to get a nice payday out of it, but nope, plenty of them fucking loathed the fact that our parent's crew had brought a lot of Blacks and Hispanics with us from Texas, OK, Arkansas, LA, etc. and that meant a handful of Black and Hispanic kids.  They hated us as much for hanging with them, as they hated them.

I fucking hated the state, but I did learn a helluva lot really fast about a lot of things that my parents had managed to shield me from.

“U.S. District Judge Orlando Garcia on Tuesday ruled the state’s process for determining whether there is a mismatch between a voter’s signature on their ballot envelope and the signature the voter used on their application to vote by mail “plainly violates certain voters’ constitutional rights.”

In his order, Garcia ordered the Texas secretary of state to inform local election officials within 10 days that it is unconstitutional to reject a ballot based on a "perceived signature mismatch" without first notifying the voter about the mismatch and giving the voter a “meaningful opportunity” to correct the issue.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not sure is it  belongs here or USPS Thread, but I mailed in my wife and my applications for an absentee ballot in late July. Still haven’t received our ballots in Houston. 

When will I get my ballot? 

There is no specific date, but there are rules counties must follow. If your county elections office receives your application to vote by mail more than 45 days before Election Day, the county must send your ballot at least 30 days out from the election. Some counties are aiming to get the ballots out sooner, but they can't send them until the entire county ballot — from the race for president to local water districts — is certified.

If your application is received after the 45-day mark, the county must mail out your ballot within seven days of approving your application.

HARRIS COUNTY
County Clerk
Christopher G. Hollins
1001 Preston Houston, TX 77002 
P.O. Box 1148, Houston 77251-1148
County Email Address
(713) 755-6411
FAX: (713) 755-4977
Submit your Application for Ballot By Mail (ABBM) via email
Submit your Federal Postcard Application (FPCA) via email
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, StassneyHorn said:

When will I get my ballot? 

There is no specific date, but there are rules counties must follow. If your county elections office receives your application to vote by mail more than 45 days before Election Day, the county must send your ballot at least 30 days out from the election. Some counties are aiming to get the ballots out sooner, but they can't send them until the entire county ballot — from the race for president to local water districts — is certified.

If your application is received after the 45-day mark, the county must mail out your ballot within seven days of approving your application.

HARRIS COUNTY
County Clerk
Christopher G. Hollins
1001 Preston Houston, TX 77002 
P.O. Box 1148, Houston 77251-1148
County Email Address
(713) 755-6411
FAX: (713) 755-4977
Submit your Application for Ballot By Mail (ABBM) via email
Submit your Federal Postcard Application (FPCA) via email

So by October 3rd. With the USPS in tatters that doesn’t feel like enough. 

I mean we’re voting in person because I don’t trust shit, but it’s going to be a fun litmus test to watch. 

On 9/3/2020 at 7:56 AM, Bookman said:

If Election Day was a holiday, I think a lot of people would take the day off and not vote.

If I were in charge I'd give my employees 2-3 hours paid leave to vote.

I think that’s a good way to do it. We just got word that everyone at my company is going to get a half day pto for voting related activities, whether that be actually voting or volunteering to assist voting in some way. 

16 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

“U.S. District Judge Orlando Garcia on Tuesday ruled the state’s process for determining whether there is a mismatch between a voter’s signature on their ballot envelope and the signature the voter used on their application to vote by mail “plainly violates certain voters’ constitutional rights.”

In his order, Garcia ordered the Texas secretary of state to inform local election officials within 10 days that it is unconstitutional to reject a ballot based on a "perceived signature mismatch" without first notifying the voter about the mismatch and giving the voter a “meaningful opportunity” to correct the issue.”

Like I want some armchair expert deciding which of my shitty signatures is real and which is fake

Edited by elfenix

1 hour ago, GopherRock said:

Breaking this afternoon out of Planet Cheese:

Wisconsin republicans are comparable to people from the dark ages who loved to torture people to death and make their families watch,

those people are shameless. They will do anything to “ own the libs” and they don’t care how bad it looks. They will just fucking do it. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/10/court-blocks-trump-census-order-on-undocumented-immigrants-412052

Trump loses battle in court. He was trying to “ not count” illegals in the census and have them not count toward house seats when they are re-apportioned after the census count. 

should be a relief for California. 

Georgia State Election Board is ass my dude

“The State Election Board passed a rule Tuesday that sets thresholds for how scanners count absentee ballots in Georgia, discarding votes that fill in less than 10% of an oval.

The rule means that votes marked as check marks or X’s outside ovals won’t necessarily be recorded.“

https://www.ajc.com/politics/new-absentee-ballot-rule-requires-georgia-voters-to-fill-in-ovals/265T2QPP6JFDTGQY4SCPWKFLDU/

16 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I thought that election at the height of the pandemic was for a judge spot that swung it back towards the Dems?   Obviously not.

If they order the ballots have to be reprinted to add the Green Party or Kayne then there won't be any absentee voting in Wisconsin. 

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit in Atlanta agreed with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) that the payment of fines and fees by felons is part of their “terms of sentence” and must be satisfied before they can register.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/florida-felon-voting/2020/09/11/9a6b5d3a-f45e-11ea-bc45-e5d48ab44b9f_story.html

20 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Wisconsin republicans are comparable to people from the dark ages who loved to torture people to death and make their families watch,

those people are shameless. They will do anything to “ own the libs” and they don’t care how bad it looks. They will just fucking do it. 

fixed

20 hours ago, Pasken said:

If they order the ballots have to be reprinted to add the Green Party or Kayne then there won't be any absentee voting in Wisconsin. 

I believe there are about a dozen different type of machines used in Wisconsin polling places but greater than 85% of locations either have paper ballots or an optical scan paper ballot. Hope everything is on the up and up.