Voter Suppression

Pancho

34 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

you do understand that is not what is going on here, right?

It’s implied she requested an absentee or mail in ballot form from her county and received it in a trump package. I need a little more proof than a twitter video.  If you request it from a gop group, they can send it  in whatever packet they want. It’s just a form.

i wouldn’t be shocked that if you google “absentee ballot request”, there is a decent chance you are directed to a political site not the county. 

40 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Confusion is the goal.  Even if this isn't nefarious, most people have never voted by mail before, unless they are in a state where that is the normal practice.  Hell, I requested a mail in ballot for Texas and I'm concerned about the process for bringing it to the polls in order to vote in person instead.  @StassneyHorn has been very helpful.

People need to suck it up and vote in person.  It sucks, but that's the situation we are in.  If you don't want to live under an authoritarian regime, you have to take the chance you may get a potentially deadly virus in order to make sure your vote counts.  Good work America.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/12/2020 at 2:23 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It’s implied she requested an absentee or mail in ballot form from her county and received it in a trump package. I need a little more proof than a twitter video.  If you request it from a gop group, they can send it  in whatever packet they want. It’s just a form.

i wouldn’t be shocked that if you google “absentee ballot request”, there is a decent chance you are directed to a political site not the county. 

FYI, I tested this out and Google does seem to do a good job of sending you to a govt site in order to get a non-partisan mail in ballot application, at least for harris county. However that doesn't mean that someone isn't being served up partisan mail ballot ads on social media sites. And the ad could be used solely to confuse you. Target demographics for the other side, have the person fill out an application, and then never send them anything. Or send them a phony application that the county will reject. 

Even if a county goes 99% for one party, they would be smart enough to not send partisan ads along with any official document as that could bring attention from the fed govt on other practices. If a GOP (or Dem) heavy county did that, even a state or fed judge from the same party would have to call them out. 

Scoop: 400,000 people have already registered to vote in 2020 via Snapchat

https://www.axios.com/snapchat-400000-people-registered-vote-ae9064a1-72c0-4eef-924d-d1e0d7bc95f2.html

posted what I think are the highlights below.

The big picture: With seven weeks still to go until the election, Snapchat has already registered nearly as many voters as it did in 2018. 

• The company said that in 2018, more than half of the users that registered to vote via Snapchat actually went out and cast ballots

On Tuesday, President Obama will be featured in a new Snapchat PSA that encourages first-time and young voters to register to vote on Snapchat.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

The poll watcher one just pisses me right off.  Fuck you trumpkins.  I hope I get to report one of you anti-American fuck heads.

LIke that's going to prevent the lunatics from just showing up to urban hubs and sitting in the beds of their trucks with their rifles in their laps. 

• Hook 'Em 1

No word yet from the Supreme Court of Texas on why they will rule against this

Travis County to add unique polling locations for November election

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/travis-county-to-add-unique-polling-locations-for-november-election

5 mega centers, gyms, a P Terry’s and Emo’s all on the list

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Texas Appeals Court agrees that Harris County can send mail ballot applications to every voter, but a stay is still in effect at the Texas Supreme Court.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/09/18/texas-harris-county-mail-in-ballot-applications/

I assume this will be appealed to the Texas Supreme Court, who will take their time. I think Harris county will ultimately win, but too late for this year. 

A big mistake by Harris County was to announce they were going to send out the applications. If they interpreted they law that they could, then quietly move forward with it. Send it on Day 1, announce it on Day 2. Possibly the GOP would have attempted to stop the incoming applications from being processed but even the Texas Supreme Court would have had hard time with that action. 

At least I assume they announced it and it wasnt a leak. If I'm wrong about that, please advise.

Most of you all know I surf around on *Twitter. I'm aware that many many accounts are bots and that it is an ongoing issue, but it's also not to difficult to determine the bad actors with a little detective work. (Although they are getting better at their methods). Twitter trends are a thing, and even accounting for bots, I find them useful. What is the topic and why is it trending and who is making it trend? That can be informative in its own way.

Anyway, Mensa was trending this morning. After reading a lot of nasty tweets about stuff, I got curious. So, I dug around and this came up from an account that I read quite a bit. I'll post the first tweet, but the embedded thread is really long and concerns voter suppression so I'm placing the rest in a spoiler. Takes about five minutes to read.

Spoiler

The topic of the pitfalls of the two party system and how that relates to getting candidates elected (especially for the more progressive minded platforms) may be better discussed elsewhere, but her take in the spoiler thread on the targeted campaign over social media seems accurate to me. We know it's done, we know that Parscales bought over 220 million datasets of voters so it's out there and being exploited.

*Twitter makes it much easier to surf as one doesn't need an account (which I don't have) and as long as the account holders don't use the 'private' feature you can read whatever they post unlike Facebook and now, Instagram, which don't let you read much before requiring a account.