Voter Suppression

Pancho

I did this awhile ago.  When they call, just say their “tv tuner” must be broken.  Then delay a few weeks before you can come look at it and then say you called a TV repair shop and the part has to be special ordered.  If you can make it it a month, you will be amazed at how normal your parents will seem.
Great job, you have to censor people for their own good. You should start stealing their money also, so they don`t donate it to things you don`t approve of.

https://www.channel4.com/news/revealed-trump-campaign-strategy-to-deter-millions-of-black-americans-from-voting-in-2016

Channel 4 News has exclusively obtained a vast cache of data used by Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign on almost 200 million American voters.

It reveals that 3.5 million Black Americans were categorised by Donald Trump’s campaign as ‘Deterrence’ – voters they wanted to stay home on election day.

Tonight, civil rights campaigners said the evidence amounted to a new form of voter “suppression” and called on Facebook to disclose ads and targeting information that has never been made public.

The ‘Deterrence’ project can be revealed after Channel 4 News obtained the database used by Trump’s digital campaign team – credited with helping deliver his shock victory to become president four years ago.

Vast in scale, it contains details on almost 200 million Americans, among more than 5,000 files, which together amass almost 5 terabytes of data – making it one of the biggest leaks in history.

It reveals not only the huge amounts of data held on every individual voter, but how that data was used and manipulated by models and algorithms.

In 16 key battleground states, millions of Americans were separated by an algorithm into one of eight categories, also described as ‘audiences’, so they could then be targeted with tailored ads on Facebook and other platforms.

One of the categories was named ‘Deterrence’, which was later described publicly by Trump’s chief data scientist as containing people that the campaign “hope don’t show up to vote”.

Analysis by Channel 4 News shows Black Americans – historically a community targeted with voter suppression tactics – were disproportionately marked ‘Deterrence’ by the 2016 campaign.

In total, 3.5 million Black Americans were marked ‘Deterrence’.

I remember from my time attending state wide political conventions that there were any number of groups/businesses there promoting voter data mining services.  It's incredible to ponder how much information these groups are amassing on people to sell to nascent campaigns. 

The Facebook advertising machine that helps advertisers target specific demographics thanks to their own surveillance of their users was well covered in that Netflix documentary The Social Disease.  Worth a watch if you haven't seen it yet.

Edited by bernorange

20 minutes ago, bernorange said:

I remember from my time attending state wide political conventions that there were any number of groups/businesses there promoting voter data mining services.  It's incredible to ponder how much information these groups are amassing on people to sell to nascent campaigns. 

The Facebook advertising machine that helps advertisers target specific demographics thanks to their own surveillance of their users was well covered in that Netflix documentary The Social Disease.  Worth a watch if you haven't seen it yet.

I've done some work with companies that gather data.  They'll say in the terms and conditions link at the bottom basically this: "We value your privacy.  We will never disclose your data to any third party in any manner outside of our data security and confidentiality agreement."  Then you look at the data security and confidentiality agreement and it says "We can use your data however we want, bitches."

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I've done some work with companies that gather data.  They'll say in the terms and conditions link at the bottom basically this: "We value your privacy.  We will never disclose your data to any third party in any manner outside of our data security and confidentiality agreement."  Then you look at the data security and confidentiality agreement and it says "We can use your data however we want, bitches."

XdY7.gif

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

https://www.channel4.com/news/revealed-trump-campaign-strategy-to-deter-millions-of-black-americans-from-voting-in-2016

Channel 4 News has exclusively obtained a vast cache of data used by Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign on almost 200 million American voters.

It reveals that 3.5 million Black Americans were categorised by Donald Trump’s campaign as ‘Deterrence’ – voters they wanted to stay home on election day.

Tonight, civil rights campaigners said the evidence amounted to a new form of voter “suppression” and called on Facebook to disclose ads and targeting information that has never been made public.

The ‘Deterrence’ project can be revealed after Channel 4 News obtained the database used by Trump’s digital campaign team – credited with helping deliver his shock victory to become president four years ago.

Vast in scale, it contains details on almost 200 million Americans, among more than 5,000 files, which together amass almost 5 terabytes of data – making it one of the biggest leaks in history.

It reveals not only the huge amounts of data held on every individual voter, but how that data was used and manipulated by models and algorithms.

In 16 key battleground states, millions of Americans were separated by an algorithm into one of eight categories, also described as ‘audiences’, so they could then be targeted with tailored ads on Facebook and other platforms.

One of the categories was named ‘Deterrence’, which was later described publicly by Trump’s chief data scientist as containing people that the campaign “hope don’t show up to vote”.

Analysis by Channel 4 News shows Black Americans – historically a community targeted with voter suppression tactics – were disproportionately marked ‘Deterrence’ by the 2016 campaign.

In total, 3.5 million Black Americans were marked ‘Deterrence’.

This is fine.  Certainly not against every principle of our country and certainly not authoritarian.  Not at all.

Edit:  are we sure about this?  No other outlet is reporting it and what the hell is Channel 4 news?

Edited by Biff Tannen

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Something that's not talked about often enough is that the hassle of changing address and re-registering disproportionately affects younger voters.  From '92 when I moved out of my parents' house to 2007 when I became a homeowner, I changed address 12 times.  I haven't had to do it since.  I'm sure that's not unusual.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Bojack said:

Something that's not talked about often enough is that the hassle of changing address and re-registering disproportionately affects younger voters.  From '92 when I moved out of my parents' house to 2007 when I became a homeowner, I changed address 12 times.  I haven't had to do it since.  I'm sure that's not unusual.  

Which, I'm sure, would offer ample reason for them to make it more difficult. Renters/frequent movers tend to be poor and/or young, and both groups tend to be less white.

53 minutes ago, Bojack said:

The state govt doesn't track where everyone lives so the person moving has to somewhat communicate where they live now. And while we could allow them to state their new address at the poll on election day, that could lead to longer lines on election day which I would argue potentially disenfranchises people behind them in line.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for someone that wakes up on election day and realizes that they haven't bothered to register their new address. Are they not aware an election is occurring? My apt living/homeownership almost mirrors yours, and yes it really used to be a pain when you had to mail in your voter registration. It's much easier now with internet registration. Takes a few seconds.

Since I haven't moved since 2005, what happens if the voter's drivers license doesn't match the voter registration address? Getting your drivers license changed is the bigger hassle of the two.

FYI, I 100% agree that many of the laws are to discourage voting. However elections have consequences. Voting for Texas state reps and senators can be more important than the President vote but so many people don't care which is what the incumbents want from you.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

I can gaurantee you this was happening before August. I moved at the end of June and put in my change of address on the USPS site. It took over a month of phone calls and tickets with the USPS support people to get my change of address finalized. I didn't get mail at my new place for a month and a half. The end result was "oops, your change of address wasn't processed and sent to your local post office. Our bad!"

5 hours ago, Bojack said:

And it’s going to fuck with plenty of folks in the military.  

Just now, StassneyHorn said:

You can now track your mail ballot in Harris County 

https://www.harrisvotes.com/tracking

taek: not a fan of this idea.  there will inevitably be errors, maybe in the tracking saying things have gone awry while the vote is handled regularly.  lot of gristle for the conspiracy theory mill can be made of this.

I could understand that you don't want 1,000 drop boxes across the city that could potentially create ballot integrity or voter intimidation issues. But only allowing the large counties 1 drop off location?  And I also believe that you have to check IDs when dropping off a ballot, so this creates a health hazard with large lines of people waiting to have their ID checked. I imagine Abbott can't prevent multiple ID check stations at the 1 location but what a cluster this will turn into.

11 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

How do longer lines "improve security"?  This justification is not even paper-thin.

It’s actually the opposite.  Lines will be longer. Trump will know where to send all of his thugs / goons / poll watchers to just stand there and clog things up to waste people’s time. 

vote as early as you can folks. I wouldn’t be surprised if Texas is going to start resorting to Georgia like tactics soon.

• Hook 'Em 2

I wonder how creative a county could get with "1 location" per county. Could the Toyota Center be 1 location with 30 entrances and 30 lines? Of course, the real purpose is to create more obstacles to discourage voting.

Trump's poll watchers are going to be a mess. I think its fair to allow major parties to place poll watchers even though I'm sure some create problems. However these unofficial Trump poll watchers are going to be another level.  I guarantee they will be harassing voters especially non-white voters. 

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Yeah, I'll wait an extra week, because Republicans are suing Abbott to invalidate his order opening up the polls a week early.  They'd probably like all ballots cast that week thrown out.

Texas GOP can't go a few days without reminding me how shitty it has become.

Edited by atomheartbevo

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, I'll wait an extra week, because Republicans are suing Abbott to invalidate his order opening up the polls a week early.  They'd probably like all ballots cast that week thrown out.

Texas GOP can't go a few days without reminding me how shitty it has become.

What is the first “safe” day again?  October 19th?

anything before that could be tainted and thrown out. 

Just now, Voldemort86 said:

What is the first “safe” day again?  October 19th?

anything before that could be tainted and thrown out. 

They might close polling places that were open, so that no more ballots can be cast there.  But they truly can't and won't "throw out" votes that were cast in-person at a previously open polling location.  I can't come up with any legal theory that would allow them to do so.  And if a court actually did that, I can't see how it would stand on appeal, at all.  If that actually happened.....yeah, revolution would be appropriate.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I can't come up with any legal theory that would allow them to do so.  And if a court actually did that, I can't see how it would stand on appeal, at all.  If that actually happened.....yeah, revolution would be appropriate.

Yeah, but it's Texas.  And it's 2020.  And there's a pretty short window that this is all occurring in.