Voter Suppression

Pancho

if i go to a polling place to vote i have to prove who i am because the state wants me to prove who i am in order to prevent fraud. 

if i mail in my ballot and they decide my signature doesn't match the state doesn't want to me prove who i am in order to prevent fraud. 

ok.

Edited by elfenix

go vote in person. Covid isn't spiking because of voting in person. Fight the mail in fight later don't be a principaled jackoff who doesn't get your vote counted because you are an asshat who thinks the world should work the way you think it does instead of how it actually does.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

go vote in person. Covid isn't spiking because of voting in person. Fight the mail in fight later don't be a principaled jackoff who doesn't get your vote counted because you are an asshat who thinks the world should work the way you think it does instead of how it actually does.

Thanks for your contribution. Literally no one here is being a principled jackoff in choosing their method of voting. It's a discussion.

I read all your hot takes as if they're coming from the punchably smug face of your avatar because you seem a bit micromanage-y. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I really don't have a problem with the poll worker turning away the BLM t shirt people as long as they apply the same treatment to all marginally political t shirts.  Everything is political now.  I just wouldn't risk showing up in anything that gave away my political leanings.  Last thing we need the BLM guys showing up at the same time as guys wearing Blue lives mater shirts.

I have a problem with it because then you've got John Q. poll worker deciding what is and isn't allowable free speech. It's a societal tar baby. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I have a problem with it because then you've got John Q. poll worker deciding what is and isn't allowable free speech. It's a societal tar baby. 

Dibs on ‘societal tar baby’ for new band name.  

Seeing a huge uptick in money being thrown Texas’s way by Dem Super PACs because of these early voting numbers at the Presidential, the US House, the Senate and the Txlege level. Kudos to everyone who went in person or through absentee.  If you still haven’t sent or applied for a mail in ballot it’s getting to nut-cuttin time.

5 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Seeing a huge uptick in money being thrown Texas’s way by Dem Super PACs because of these early voting numbers at the Presidential, the US House, the Senate and the Txlege level. Kudos to everyone who went in person or through absentee.  If you still haven’t sent or applied for a mail in ballot it’s getting to nut-cuttin time.

Do you have a link? 

6 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Do you have a link? 

The group is also not limiting its ambitions to the presidential race. In a “confidential” four-page memo circulated to major donors last week and obtained by Recode, Future Forward and four other Democratic outside groups — Senate Majority PAC, the Strategic Victory Fund, Way to Win, and Mind the Gap — planned $28 million in advertising to boost MJ Hegar, the Democrat challenging Texas Sen. John Cornyn in an uphill race. $10 million of that money was expected to come from a Senate Majority PAC, according to the memo, while another $18 million needed to be raised as of last week for the groups to pull the trigger.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/recode/2020/10/20/21523492/future-forward-super-pac-dustin-moskovitz-silicon-valley?__twitter_impression=true

National Democratic super PAC says it will double its spending to $12 million in battle for the Texas House

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/10/20/texas-house-super-pac/

If anyone wonders where I find a lot of my info it’s basically Scott Braddock, Patrick Svitek, Jeremy Wallace and Evan Smith Twitter. For National updates I check reddit.com/VoteDem.

Scott Braddock and Jeremy Wallace have an awesome podcast called Texas Take I listen to religiously. Scott Braddock pretty much has 2/3 at least of the txlege subscribing and feeding him info for quorum report.

Edited by StassneyHorn

Does this qualify as voter suppression? 

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/2020/10/20/brevard-voters-threatened-emails-purportedly-proud-boys/5997458002/

Voters across Brevard County Tuesday afternoon received threatening emails purporting to come from the Proud Boys, a far-right group that espouses militant authoritarian ideology, telling them to vote for President Trump, or else.

The emails appear to follow a similar format, and come from the email address "info@officialproudboys.com."

"Hi (name) We are in possession of all your information You are currently registered as a Democrat and we know this because we have gained access into the entire voting infrastructure. You will vote for Trump on Election Day or we will come after you. Change your party affiliation to Republican to let us know you received our message and will comply. We will know which candidate you voted for. I would take this seriously if I were you. (Voter's address)," it read.

3 hours ago, Pasken said:

"Hi (name) We are in possession of all your information You are currently registered as a Democrat and we know this because we have gained access into the entire voting infrastructure. You will vote for Trump on Election Day or we will shove dildoes up our asses while live-streaming. Change your party affiliation to Republican to let us know you received our message and will comply. We will know which candidate you voted for. I would take this seriously if I were you. (Voter's address)," it read.

FIFY

Great podcast (Smartless--usually lighthearted and funny) interview with Stacey Abrams: https://cdn.simplecast.com/audio/5c302538-714d-4d5d-be74-21d38440ae5c/episodes/bb626e69-4ff5-462a-bd14-03d4b900d937/audio/e8e0fff9-81c1-43ec-96b6-df6c0c2f507e/default_tc.mp3?aid=rss_feed&feed=pvzhyDQn

Really breaks it down why the census matters.  She's super bright and has a great personality.  But after hearing it, there's no way the Republicans can afford to lose this election for the presidency or Congress. It's too important andI fully expect them to go all out.  She also discusses voter intimidation which I fully expect on Election Day.  

Edited by Mdhorn

11 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

If anyone wonders where I find a lot of my info it’s basically Scott Braddock, Patrick Svitek, Jeremy Wallace and Evan Smith Twitter. For National updates I check reddit.com/VoteDem.

Scott Braddock and Jeremy Wallace have an awesome podcast called Texas Take I listen to religiously. Scott Braddock pretty much has 2/3 at least of the txlege subscribing and feeding him info for quorum report.

If anyone wants to know where I get my info it’s StassneyHorn. 

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Texas GOP just can't quit taking peoples votes away

Here's hoping we don't get a November 3rd surprise of a coordinated effort to throw out ballots cast in person, but not at a traditional voting booth.

Your vote will count as long as your last name isn't Rodriguez or Washington. 

And you're going to get all the possible efforts to disenfranchise. This election is the hill on which all future elections will live or die.  A narrow stolen Trump win here equals Putin level landslides in the future.  A narrow Biden win still has us on the brink otherwise, but I expect enfranchisement and election security will be fixed. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

On 10/20/2020 at 1:07 PM, Jiggy-Z said:

I really don't have a problem with the poll worker turning away the BLM t shirt people as long as they apply the same treatment to all marginally political t shirts.  Everything is political now.  I just wouldn't risk showing up in anything that gave away my political leanings.  Last thing we need the BLM guys showing up at the same time as guys wearing Blue lives mater shirts.

See the fucked up thing is the guys wearing blue lives matter shirts wouldn’t be turned away,  and the blue lives matter slogan and flag have been adopted by many white supremacists.  
This is just another example of what we all know that the core of the right is racism and oppression.  They know that’s how they keep their power and they must practice it every day.

Another example, though he did get in eventually.

https://thegrio.com/2020/10/21/georgia-man-told-to-remove-blm-shirt/amp/

Edited by SameSame

I figured the republicans would attack mail in voting at a higher rate, and they have.  So I voted in person.   With all the bullshit around dismantling our postal system to rig an election, I am surprised so many still desired to vote via mail.    At the polling place, they had hand sanitizer, finger condoms, more hand sanitizer, and you put your own license for scanning.   Distancing and masks were also in effect.  

On 10/20/2020 at 4:59 PM, Pasken said:

On 10/20/2020 at 5:17 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

yes, but this time by plebs Iran, not elected elites

fixed, according to intelligence agencies

Edited by Biff Tannen
Bullneck beat me to it

Vice did a pretty interesting deep dive into the huge dip in polling locations on Election Day. It's not as bad as it looks because some states have fewer locations but expanded mail in voting. 

Texas has 389 fewer voting locations in 2020 than it did in 2016 for a %6 drop and no expansion of mail in voting. Texas also put an end to mobile voting early locations that would be in a different spot every day to reach more areas of the county.

Group%2020.svg

Group%2021.svg

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkde7n/uncounted-the-voting-access-project

31 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Vice did a pretty interesting deep dive into the huge dip in polling locations on Election Day. It's not as bad as it looks because some states have fewer locations but expanded mail in voting. 

Texas has 389 fewer voting locations in 2020 than it did in 2016 for a %6 drop and no expansion of mail in voting. Texas also put an end to mobile voting early locations that would be in a different spot every day to reach more areas of the county.

Group%2020.svg

Group%2021.svg

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkde7n/uncounted-the-voting-access-project

Context is important for some of these.  I can only speak to California.  Not as much of a need for as many polling places when every single voter in California can vote by mail (they just mailed ballots to everyone) or drop their ballots off at official drop box locations (and more than one per county)!

9 hours ago, Nivek said:

I figured the republicans would attack mail in voting at a higher rate, and they have.  So I voted in person.   With all the bullshit around dismantling our postal system to rig an election, I am surprised so many still desired to vote via mail.    At the polling place, they had hand sanitizer, finger condoms, more hand sanitizer, and you put your own license for scanning.   Distancing and masks were also in effect.  

They're going to attack whatever isn't working to their favor.  They're for mail in voting in counties that vote red.

Edited by Mdhorn

On 10/22/2020 at 7:20 AM, SameSame said:

See the fucked up thing is the guys wearing blue lives matter shirts wouldn’t be turned away,  and the blue lives matter slogan and flag have been adopted by many white supremacists.  
This is just another example of what we all know that the core of the right is racism and oppression.  They know that’s how they keep their power and they must practice it every day.

Another example, though he did get in eventually.

https://thegrio.com/2020/10/21/georgia-man-told-to-remove-blm-shirt/amp/

The slope ends up being too slippery.  People should be able to wear whatever they want to the polls including campaign shirts, openly offensive clothing, or no clothes at all.

update heading in to the final push....

i just saw this reporter on msnbc..... please clicksupport.....

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/10/23/texas-mail-in-ballot-drop-off/

Order allowing Texas counties to have multiple mail-in ballot drop off sites is upheld, but appeal halts openings

The state is continuing to fight a Travis County district court's ruling that overrode Gov. Greg Abbott's order limiting counties to one absentee ballot drop-off location.

by Jolie McCullough Oct. 23, 2020 Updated: Oct. 24, 2020

Spoiler

A state appeals court on Friday upheld a Travis County State district court order allowing Texas counties to have multiple drop-off locations for hand delivery of absentee ballots, undercutting Gov. Greg Abbott's recent directive limiting counties to one drop-off site.

But the intermediate court's decision will not yet lead to the reopening of ballot drop-off locations that were shut down in Harris and Travis counties after Abbott's order. Abbott and Texas Secretary of State Ruth Hughs immediately appealed the ruling to the Texas Supreme Court, which at least temporarily blocked the order from taking effect Saturday morning.

The lawsuit, filed in Travis County, is one of several state and federal court challenges to Abbott’s Oct. 1 order, which shut down three ballot drop-off locations in Travis County and 11 in Harris County and halted plans for more drop-offs in other counties. Last week, a federal appeals court upheld the Republican governor’s order under federal law, overturning a lower court’s ruling.

The Travis County lawsuit argued that Abbott’s order violated state law. Brought by a Texas-based Anti-Defamation League, a voting rights advocacy group and a voter, the suit argued that the governor doesn’t have authority under state law to limit absentee ballot hand-delivery locations, and that his order violates voters’ equal protection rights under the state constitution.

Last week, Travis County State District Judge Tim Sulak agreed, ruling against Abbott’s order.

“The limitation to a single drop-off location for mail ballots would likely needlessly and unreasonably increase risks of exposure to COVID-19 infections, and needlessly and unreasonably substantially burden potential voters’ constitutionally protected rights to vote, as a consequence of increased travel and delays, among other things,” Sulak wrote.

Abbott and Hughs quickly appealed the ruling, pausing it from going into effect while the appeals court reviewed the case.

As the coronavirus led to concerns for voter safety, Abbott issued an emergency order in July lengthening the early voting period and extending the time voters have to deliver completed absentee ballots in person to county clerk offices. But after large Democratic counties, including Harris and Travis, established several county sites where voters could deliver their ballots, Abbott issued his order limiting such drop-off locations to one per county.

Texas does not have drop-off boxes, as have been implemented in other states. Instead, to drop off a mail-in ballot in person at any location, voters must present an approved form of identification to a poll worker, and voters may not turn in any one else’s ballot.

In their appeal, Abbott and Hughs said the limiting order was enacted after Hughs learned that at least one county planned to accept hand-delivered absentee ballot applications at invalid county offices. The state also wanted poll watchers to be at each site accepting such ballots.

Multiple voting right groups quickly challenged the governor's limiting order, and three Democratic chairs of high-profile congressional committees called the move an apparent "last-ditch effort to suppress Texans’ ability to vote."

3 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

North Carolina as well.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/28/politics/north-carolina-supreme-court-nine-days/index.html

The Supreme Court allowed the counting of ballots in North Carolina received up to nine days after the election as long as the ballots are postmarked by Election Day, a victory for Democrats in another key state.

Republicans and the Trump campaign had asked the court to reinstate a three-day extension that had been set by the state legislature last June. The court rejected the request without comment.

A federal appeals court had allowed the nine-day extension that was set by the State Board of Elections amidst the pandemic, as part of a legal settlement. 

Supreme Court won't expedite latest GOP challenge to Pennsylvania mail-in ballot rules

"The extension simply makes it easier for more people to vote absentee in the middle of a global pandemic that has killed over 200,000 Americans, " the appeals court ruled.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Of course every Trump judge is going to be dumber than pigshit

I don't like their rulings, but the judges themselves aren't dumb.

They're even worse. They are goons who allow themselves to be useful idiots to maintain a decrepit ruling class.

So, lawyers out there, if you gave a jr associate the task of submitting a memo that included a discussion of whether Vermont had made any COVID modifications to election procedures, and the associate turned in the statement that Kav made....would you be comfortable relying on that associate’s memos?

We have a SCOTUS justice who doesn’t perform as well as a second year Tech grad. That’s cool.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Last year when the discussion over Roberts presiding over the Impeachment arose, there were a couple of folks who pointed out that SCOTUS had always been subject to leaning one way or the other. While that made sense and the explanation was actually a long one, I have decided that maybe we need to schedule some post holiday returns on a few judges out of the 200 plus appointees. 
Slightly used but just not a good fit for the country. 

• Like 1