Voter Suppression

Pancho

• 5 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

What I enjoy is watching the party that rails against "pointless layers of gov't bureaucracy" championing "pointless layers of gov't bureaucracy."

The GOP is a party that looked on the menu of options, saw "hypocrisy" listed, and asked the waiter "does that come as an 'all you can eat' option?"

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/arizona-gop-lawmaker-introduces-bill-give-legislature-power-toss-out-n1256097

Arizona GOP lawmaker introduces bill to give Legislature power to toss out election results
One section grants the Legislature the ability to revoke the secretary of state's certification at any time before the presidential inauguration.

Jan. 28, 2021, 8:09 PM CST / Updated Jan. 29, 2021, 9:40 AM CST
By Dartunorro Clark

The Republican chair of Arizona's state House Ways and Means Committee introduced a bill Wednesday that would give the Legislature authority to override the secretary of state’s certification of its electoral votes.

GOP Rep. Shawnna Bolick introduced the bill, which rewrites parts of the state's election law, such as sections on election observers and securing and auditing ballots, among other measures.

One section grants the Legislature, which is currently under GOP control, the ability to revoke the secretary of state's certification "by majority vote at any time before the presidential inauguration."

"The legislature may take action pursuant to this subsection without regard to whether the legislature is in regular or special session or has held committee or other hearings on the matter."

A request for comment from Arizona's secretary of state was not immediately returned.

One of the state's Democratic congressman, Ruben Gallego, said if the bill passed, he would work to have it defeated by public referendum.

The introduction of the bill comes as the Arizona GOP has faced an intraparty fight after former President Donald Trump fueled baseless claims about the election after the state went to President Joe Biden in the 2020 election — the first time in 24 years a Democrat has won the state.

The state GOP has also moved to censure Cindy McCain, the wife of late former Arizona GOP Sen. John McCain, and former Arizona GOP Sen. Jeff Flake. Both supported Biden in the election.

• 2 weeks later...

If any of you are interested in being deputy voter registrars, there are some online classes this week you can attend.  They are an hour long and you can set yourself up as a DVR in whatever county you reside, or possibly more.    Pretty painless.   The Monday and Tuesday classes were scratched due to weather.

We’re recruiting folks from across Texas to get trained as a Volunteer Deputy Registrar (VDR) so you can help register voters in Texas. Can you sign up today to become a VDR to help strengthen our democracy?

In case this is your first time, or you need a refresher, here are the steps to becoming a certified VDR in your home county:

1. Regardless of where you live in Texas, attend a virtual training run by Harris or Travis County by signing up here.
  2. After completing the training, you’ll receive a certificate via email.
  3. If you live in the county you trained in, you’re all set and can begin to register folks in your community.
  4. If you don’t live in the county that ran the training, our team will send you an email and help you get the final steps you need to register voters where you live. If you’d like to reach out to us directly, you can send an email to VDR@betoorourke.com.

Texas is the most voter suppressed state in the county – and one of the ways they suppress our vote is by making it so complicated to register new voters. So when you get trained as a VDR, you are helping fight back against the barriers that stop so many of our fellow Texans from voting.

So please, sign up for a VDR training today – even if you don’t live in Harris or Travis County! – to get trained to register voters.

• Hook 'Em 6

Referring to a story earlier in the thread.  It's more insidious than earlier planning had it.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/24/politics/arizona-voting-bills/index.html

Arizona lawmakers are debating a new set of voting bills -- including one that would allow lawmakers to review election results "if needed" and would grant the legislature the power to pick the state's presidential electors -- as Republican lawmakers around the country work to change election laws in the wake of the 2020 election.

Under a new proposed amendment to the Arizona constitution, introduced by a Republican state senator, the legislature would meet in a special session the Monday after Election Day to "review or investigate, if needed" the results of the election, a provision some Republicans have said is needed after the November election.

GOP Sen. David Gowan, the bill's sponsor, said the legislation "is not meant to override the vote of the people," but provides a process for auditing the election."

Also under the proposed amendment, the legislature would have the authority to pick the state's presidential electors. 

Gowan said his proposal would bring "back the authority of the Electoral College to the legislature."

Republican lawmakers introduced a similar bill in the Arizona House. 

"Why even have a presidential election, why have voters vote on it if, essentially the legislature is going to be able to override whatever the voters vote for," state Sen. Sean Bowie, a Democrat, said at a Tuesday meeting.

On 2/19/2021 at 4:34 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

ONE HUNDRED SIXTY FIVE VOTER SUPPRESSION BILLS AT THE STATE LEVEL NATIONWIDE.

Let that sink in for a minute.

Gotta get people on board with getting stuff done, clock is ticking and the state level legislatures are not standing around.

This tweet will be looked back on sadly in a few years.  It was right there and Dems did nothing.  They are becoming almost as culpable for the downfall of this democracy at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

This tweet will be looked back on sadly in a few years.  It was right there and Dems did nothing.  They are becoming almost as culpable for the downfall of this democracy at this point.

jfc, one thing at a time. we're trying to handle a pandemic that has killed half a million people. There are no imminent big elections. there's time to address this

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

jfc, one thing at a time. we're trying to handle a pandemic that has killed half a million people. There are no imminent big elections. there's time to address this

You think they are going to end the filibuster?  I don't.  I'm not saying they have to right this second (though that would be nice), but I don't think it's happening period.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

You think they are going to end the filibuster?  I don't.  I'm not saying they have to right this second (though that would be nice), but I don't think it's happening period.

I know both Manchin and Sinema have come out in favor of the John Lewis Voting Rights Act.  They aren't both stupid enough to think it'll get past a filibuster.

It's probably going to end up a situation like "wait until the first major piece of legislation Democrats support gets filibustered because they can't go through reconciliation and then let's have this conversation" - they'll use some reasoning relating to archaic Senate rules getting in the way of meaningful legislation and the inability to circumvent the filibuster because of Republican obstruction to justify it. 

Republicans across the country responded to record voter turnout by unleashing a flurry of legislation aimed at restricting ballot access, citing concerns over unfounded allegations of rampant voter fraud that they themselves stoked for months.

At least 253 bills with provisions restricting voting access have been introduced, pre-filed, or carried over in 43 states, mostly by Republicans, according to an analysis by the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University Law School, dwarfing the number of similar bills filed at this point in 2020.

https://www.alternet.org/2021/02/brian-kemp/?utm_source=&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=6681

27 minutes ago, Captainant said:

So as long as you don't hide your anti-democratic views, you're virtuous? No wonder you love trump and co

Not exactly. While I do think that doing things illegally in the name of "anti-Democratic" is bad (e.g. voter intimidation and denying legally the people who have a right to vote), but I'm also think there is such a thing as "too democratic", in the opposite: e.g. allowing illegal immigrants to vote, allowing felons/people in jail too vote, and annexing folks so they will vote (e.g. Puerto Rico) in the sense these are clearly just political levers to pull in order to bolster power via popularity and more voters.

• Fuck You 4

1 minute ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Holy shit.  Did he also say that they are going to continue feeding white resentment so that it leads to the adoption of new Jim Crow statutes?

He didn't have to.

The Voting Rights Act is dead, because unless the legislature has a stated purpose embedded in the preamble to the effect of "this law is intended to deny negroes the right to vote because they are an inferior race," it will all be okay with a wink.  

The GQP is the party of open and proud white supremacy and racism.  It's not any more complicated than that.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

e.g. allowing illegal immigrants to vote, allowing felons/people in jail too vote, and annexing folks so they will vote (e.g. Puerto Rico) in the sense these are clearly just political levers to pull in order to bolster power via popularity and more voters.

Aside from illegal immigrants (you know, non-citizens), what is the argument for the rest you mentioned?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

He didn't have to.

The Voting Rights Act is dead, because unless the legislature has a stated purpose embedded in the preamble to the effect of "this law is intended to deny negroes the right to vote because they are an inferior race," it will all be okay with a wink.  

The GQP is the party of open and proud white supremacy and racism.  It's not any more complicated than that.

I'm not even sure of that anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

giphy-downsized.gif

True "holy shit" moment.

This is a fairly straightforward reason why the death cult party needs to be disbanded and forever banned in the US. These are not people acting in the best interests of the country. We cannot as a society allow a political party like this to stand in front of the Supreme Court and give that answer and allow them to get off for free. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Aside from illegal immigrants (you know, non-citizens), what is the argument for the rest you mentioned?

The argument for felons is that voting is a privilege and not an absolute right. Part of losing your freedom for felonies is losing the ability to vote. That's the argument as I understand it, for why it's illegal now. I'm saying the only reason people want it overturned is to add more voters to their coffers, under the guise of some liberal idea of equality and even felons should vote and minorities are disproportionately felonious. The same idea with annexing PR; the only reason it's a bill now is because Dems want to strengthen the bulwark of voters while in a (tenuous) position of power.

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

He didn't have to.

None of us should be surprised by what was said, but we do not have to stand idly by and let these people get away with this.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, UpperWestside said:

None of us should be surprised by what was said, but we do not have to stand idly by and let these people get away with this.

Oh, we shouldn't.....but just know that in red states, protected by this SCOTUS, they will.  They will do it, they will rub your face in it, and the rubes will continue to cheer them on.

24 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Not exactly. While I do think that doing things illegally in the name of "anti-Democratic" is bad (e.g. voter intimidation and denying legally the people who have a right to vote), but I'm also think there is such a thing as "too democratic", in the opposite: e.g. allowing illegal immigrants to vote, allowing felons/people in jail too( vote, and annexing folks so they will vote (e.g. Puerto Rico) in the sense these are clearly just political levers to pull in order to bolster power via popularity and more voters.

Go ahead and provide a non-right wing source on this being proposed.  

Also, "annex folks so they will vote" (PR) - they are US citizens, we aren't annexing them.  We are giving them the same rights that US citizens are supposed to have in our U.S. Constitution - it doesn't say "only for mainland Americans and Hawaii and Alaska" 

You're such a disingenuous fuck. 

*to, you idiot

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, we shouldn't.....but just know that in red states, protected by this SCOTUS, they will.  They will do it, they will rub your face in it, and the rubes will continue to cheer them on.

Time to send Gritty to Georgia to tag team a few folks with Stacey Abrams. 

I am obviously in a state where I can say I am good, but when fellow citizens live in states where they are being suppressed it isn’t just an issue for them. It’s an issue for all of us to take a stand against. This behavior, as abhorrent and deeply rooted as it is in certain states, has to be removed completely. I will never understand folks who do things like what is happening in Georgia. You get one shot at life and you waste it trying to make life harder for the people you deem to be below you. 

23 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Go ahead and provide a non-right wing source on this being proposed.  

Also, "annex folks so they will vote" (PR) - they are US citizens, we aren't annexing them.  We are giving them the same rights that US citizens are supposed to have in our U.S. Constitution - it doesn't say "only for mainland Americans and Hawaii and Alaska" 

You're such a disingenuous fuck. 

*to, you idiot

Wait, what is the "to*" referencing where I made a mistake and am an idiot? I'd love to validate your intellectual superiority, but I'm missing it. Curious.

You yourself have admitted that it's good politics to make PR a state (without their vote and explicit consent). Perhaps annex is the wrong word, then? 

Also, to letting illegal immigrants vote, you see it being opined: https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/10/30/give-all-immigrants-right-to-vote-noncitizen-voting-election/

https://kairoscenter.org/20-million-immigrants-cannot-vote/

I don't think there is any legislation at the national level currently, but there wasn't for making PR a state either until recently. The point is that people are "for" it, for the sole purpose of bolstering the voting coffers and getting as much ammo, and keeping it dry, as possible for the next skirmish (election).

Edited by DonkeyCigars

47 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I don't think there is any legislation at the national level currently, but there wasn't for making PR a state either until recently. The point is that people are "for" it, for the sole purpose of bolstering the voting coffers and getting as much ammo, and keeping it dry, as possible for the next skirmish (election).

Giving statehood to PR may or may not help Dems (I'm of the notion that it'd be split/mixed), but denying representation to an island whose population currently surpasses that of 20 US states is a farce.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1