Voter Suppression

Pancho

Pathetic statement by the Braves. Keeping it in Atlanta would provide "a platform to enhance the discussion?" Sorry, Chipper, but MLB just enhanced the discussion on a national level. And they say voting "opportunities" instead of "rights"...I guess that's gonna be the euphemism now.

1 minute ago, Bartles said:

Pathetic statement by the Braves. Keeping it in Atlanta would provide "a platform to enhance the discussion?" Sorry, Chipper, but MLB just enhanced the discussion on a national level. And they say voting "opportunities" instead of "rights"...I guess that's gonna be the euphemism now.

Tough shit, Braves owners and management.  Shoulda told the GA Lege not to fuck around, or else we all might find out.

Yes, Georgians are victims of this decision.  That's how economic pressure works.  FA.  FO.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Bartles said:

I mean what do you expect them to say? It’s gonna cost them a ton of money. But yeah, it would be nice if they say they’re going to wear BLM uniforms all season. But also unlikely. 

Imo, you're asking way too much of corporations if you expect them to oppose legislation before it's passed. Why would they want to get down in the political mudhole?
And imo recently it seems that the GOP and Fortune 500 aren't always on the same team.

It is incredible to me the extent to which Americans are just willing to give corporate entities a pass.

I don’t necessarily expect them to oppose such a bill, though I say that out of cynicism rather than a belief that they don’t have any responsibility to act decently. My point was that if you’re going to “enter the political mud hole” of opposing bill at all, you do it when throwing your weight around might actually change something. Speaking up after the fact is just them trying to save face after realizing they’re on the wrong side of the issue.

37 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Counterpoint:

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean what do you expect them to say? It’s gonna cost them a ton of money. But yeah, it would be nice if they say they’re going to wear BLM uniforms all season. But also unlikely. 

They could have issued a statement of disagreement, mention the economic impact and leave it at that. Leave out the bullshit about the voter rights "discussion" since they obviously would prefer nothing more be said, ever. And not use the term voting "opportunities" which sounds like a right wing dog whistle.

Good PR move by baseball. If they waited to act or even comment, then the players would ultimately have to be asked their opinions which couldn’t do anything to help the situation.  Instead act immediately on a Friday afternoon (Good Friday) going into a holiday weekend, let the Braves publicly disagree and move on.  It won’t be a national story by Monday.

Sure there will be some people that will cancel baseball because of it but not enough to matter.

24 minutes ago, Bartles said:

They could have issued a statement of disagreement, mention the economic impact and leave it at that. Leave out the bullshit about the voter rights "discussion" since they obviously would prefer nothing more be said, ever. And not use the term voting "opportunities" which sounds like a right wing dog whistle.

I said “what did you EXPECT them to say.” They could have done a lot of things. Fuck GA could have not passed Jim Crow II. Donald trump could have matured into a caring president. Brisket could show some optimism. 

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Lol.  The SEC will refuse to play games in any state that doesn’t enact Jim Crow laws.  

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah...gotta go with Chitown on this one.

Incorrect. Remember when Mississippi teams joined together to change the state flag, this is kind of the same thing. They’re not going to stop playing, that ain’t happening but they will come out and support opposition to the voting rights suppression. Hell they could even go as far as eliminating many home games in Georgia schools. Why you ask? Because exploiting black people is their business model, and they will change a flag, release statements or stop playing in certain states. They don’t give a fuck, as long as they can keep doing their grift. 

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Incorrect. Remember when Mississippi teams joined together to change the state flag, this is kind of the same thing. They’re not going to stop playing, that ain’t happening but they will come out and support opposition to the voting rights suppression. Hell they could even go as far as eliminating many home games in Georgia schools. Why you ask? Because exploiting black people is their business model, and they will change a flag, release statements or stop playing in certain states. They don’t give a fuck, as long as they can keep doing their grift. 

I know it could happen and help a lot if it did.  This isn’t hoops.  It’s their religion. Not holding my breath.  SEC football and NASCAR will be the last two holdouts - unless SEC football sponsors lean on them. Let’s hope they do - so after all that, I award you the point.  Mea Culpa

• Like 1

Pssst.....what are the demographics of where the game/stadium actually IS?  God, the stupid. It's breathtaking.

Actually it is in a black part of town.

The better question is who profits from having the game there? If you guessed it’s the blacks in the area guess again.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Also, was John Smoltz

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The judges also would have accepted "John Rocker."

not available for comment?  That Twitter douche is quoting Breitbart half the time.  

I did edit but left the original Smoltz in there.  Bc some of these judges are Russian.  

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

It’s fascinating to watch this creature continually post these “gotcha” stories and have them continually blow up in his face. 

Stacey Abrams didn’t want it moved because it would hurt members of the community economically. That’s all you need to know, Biff. 

And, Muh Jim Crow. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

27 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Actually it is in a black part of town.

The better question is who profits from having the game there? If you guessed it’s the blacks in the area guess again.

The new Braves Stadium is in a black part of town?  Having lived there in the '90s, I'd be shocked if that were true.   The old one definitely was, though. The Braves moved to Cobb County to be closer to their white fans.

45 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

The new Braves Stadium is in a black part of town?  Having lived there in the '90s, I'd be shocked if that were true.   The old one definitely was, though. The Braves moved to Cobb County to be closer to their white fans.

Ah.  Never mind.  I thought they were still down in Fulton County Stadium.  Shows you how long it's been since I spent any time in ATL.

@GRHorn

JIm Crow II:

1. Allows the state legislature to take over county elections through control of the State Election Board (“SEB”) and the Secretary of State’s office (state takeover of county elections).

2. Creates county budget shortfalls through cuts and unfunded mandates (overwhelms county budgets)
Edited by Willfully Horn
Capital offense
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Ah.  Never mind.  I thought they were still down in Fulton County Stadium.  Shows you how long it's been since I spent any time in ATL.

They're in their third year at the new joint.  It still blows my mind that they gave up on a stadium that was barely 20 years old, reportedly because the area around it never developed. I went to Turner several times and I liked it quite a bit, especially that awesome centerfield bar.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Y’all dumb af. Have a good night. 💤 

There’s no black peoples in Delaware so no need to suppress the vote.

Stop pretending like we are so dumb that we don’t know exactly what this law is clearly about you nazi.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

There’s no black peoples in Delaware so no need to suppress the vote.

Stop pretending like we are so dumb that we don’t know exactly what this law is clearly about you nazi.

Clearly you've never been to Wilmington.  Delaware is 24.1% back, which is way up there (7th among the 50 states).  That being said, a lot of the northeastern states are pretty far behind on early and absentee voting.

• Hook 'Em 1

Still waiting for someone to tell me the problem that all of these new regulations are designed to solve. Oh, and show your work/cite your sources. 

Other than "too many of those people voted" and "our team lost and we are sadz", that is. 

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 3/27/2021 at 6:29 AM, aggie08 said:

This is how fucked up all of this is: this is pretty much the only CR thread with no GRHorn or Donkey or Don Johnson or Johnny Sack, etc. playing the both sides card or trolling or telling everyone that they're overreacting and common sense voting reforms were needed. There's no defending any of this...doing so means you either you believe Trump's big voter fraud lie, and you're an absolute moron, or you're a racist and don't want so many people--particularly minorities--to vote. Or both. Even our Republican friends know to stay the fuck away.

I stand corrected. Never underestimate the shittiness of GRHorn.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

While what's going on in Georgia is getting all the news, we need to pay more attention to what's going on here at home.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/04/01/texas-voting-restrictions-legislature/

A couple of amendments affirming the right to vote were struck down by Republicans in the Senate found on pp 21-22.

Floor Amendment No. 4
Amend CSSB 7 (senate committee printing) by adding the following appropriately numbered SECTION to ARTICLE 1 of the bill and renumbering subsequent SECTIONS of ARTICLE 1 accordingly:
SECTIONi____.iiChapter 1, Election Code, is amended by adding Section 1.0055 to read as follows:
Sec.i1.0055.ii RIGHT TO VOTE. Every citizen of this state, who is qualified to vote under the Texas Constitution and the provisions of this code, has a fundamental right to vote in any election for which the voter is eligible.
HINOJOSA MENE´NDEZ
ALVARADO MILES
BLANCO POWELL
ECKHARDT WEST
GUTIERREZ WHITMIRE
JOHNSON ZAFFIRINI
LUCIO
The amendment to CSSB 7 was read and failed of adoption by the following vote: Yeas 13, Nays 18.
Yeas:iiAlvarado, Blanco, Eckhardt, Gutierrez, Hinojosa, Johnson, Lucio, Mene´ndez, Miles, Powell, West, Whitmire, Zaffirini.
Nays:iiBettencourt, Birdwell, Buckingham, Campbell, Creighton, Hall, Hancock, Huffman, Hughes, Kolkhorst, Nelson, Nichols, Paxton, Perry, Schwertner,
Seliger, Springer, Taylor.

Senator Hinojosa offered the following amendment to the bill:
Wednesday, March 31, 2021 SENATE JOURNAL 521
Floor Amendment No. 5
Amend CSSB 7 (senate committee printing) by adding the following appropriately numbered SECTION to ARTICLE 3 of the bill and renumbering subsequent SECTIONS of ARTICLE 3 accordingly:
SECTIONi___.iiSubchapter A, Chapter 65, Election Code, is amended by adding Section 65.0001 to read as follows:
Sec.i65.0001. RIGHT TO HAVE VOTE COUNTED. Every eligible voter who casts a ballot in an election has a fundamental right to have the voter s vote counted. ’
HINOJOSA MENE´NDEZ
ALVARADO MILES
BLANCO POWELL
ECKHARDT WEST
GUTIERREZ WHITMIRE
JOHNSON ZAFFIRINI
LUCIO
The amendment to CSSB 7 was read and failed of adoption by the following vote:  Yeas 13, Nays 18.
Yeas:iiAlvarado, Blanco, Eckhardt, Gutierrez, Hinojosa, Johnson, Lucio, Mene´ndez, Miles, Powell, West, Whitmire, Zaffirini.
Nays:iiBettencourt, Birdwell, Buckingham, Campbell, Creighton, Hall, Hancock, Huffman, Hughes, Kolkhorst, Nelson, Nichols, Paxton, Perry, Schwertner, Seliger, Springer, Taylor.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Another aspect of voter suppression is the accuracy of electronic machine systems; obviously something that is playing out with Dominion. I've mentioned ES&S voting machines in other threads, but the company leaves a lot on the table when it comes to transparency. Here is a recent article by DC Report (left center bias but high on factual reporting). This article dropped today:

https://www.dcreport.org/2020/12/31/ess-voting-systems-a-friend-to-republicans/

One of their executives came from Georgia where she was an elections official during the tenure of the 2018 governor's race. That election used ES&S machines (which Kemp oversaw as both elections official and candidate) but Raffensperger switched to Dominion machines and used an auditable paper ballot system. The article discusses some of the ties between ES&S and Georgia personnel.

Voter suppression is a multi-pronged attack on the electorate. As Americans we must demand free and fair elections. That means eligible voters are encouraged to vote, the means to vote is accessible, and the results are accurate and verifiable.