Voter Suppression

Pancho

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

They have the resources and make it pretty easy to kick valid voters off of the rolls. 

I'm not debating that. I'm saying if Joe from down the street shows up to vote, he should at a minimum show his id to be able to vote. Ideally, before he was allowed to vote he would need to prove that he is eligible to vote (US citizen, mentally competent, not a felon on parole or probation). I don't see how they could do this at the polls. 

Making sure someone is authorized to vote is not voter suppression. It's voter validation.

You’re simply arguing it’s justified voter suppression. But there’s no reasonable debate that it is voter suppression. Nor is there any reasonable debate as to the motives of voter ID proponents. Their ringleader is Kris Kobach for fuck’s sake.

14 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

You’re simply arguing it’s justified voter suppression. But there’s no reasonable debate that it is voter suppression. Nor is there any reasonable debate as to the motives of voter ID proponents. Their ringleader is Kris Kobach for fuck’s sake.

The only voters who are suppressed by making sure they are authorized to vote are "voters" who are not authorized to vote. 

The only voters who are suppressed by making sure they are authorized to vote are "voters" who are not authorized to vote. 

7.2% of eligible voters living in Texas lack the required ID (~1.2 million people).

4.5% of Texas registered voters, i.e., those who have already provided proof of citizenship, lack the required ID (over 600k people).

3 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

7.2% of eligible voters living in Texas lack the required ID (~1.2 million people).

4.5% of Texas registered voters, i.e., those who have already provided proof of citizenship, lack the required ID (over 600k people).

Every citizen or permanent resident should have an ID in my opinion. If they cannot afford the $16 to obtain one, then the state could provide one. 

7 hours ago, Clob94 said:

Quick question: 

Would it be considered voter suppression to post DHS agents at each voting site? 

If so....... why?

Each voting site?  Across the entire country?  Is the plan to question every Hispanic to see if they are not Americans?  What’s the cost to stop 5 illegal immigrants from voting?

8 hours ago, Clob94 said:

Quick question: 

Would it be considered voter suppression to post DHS agents at each voting site? 

If so....... why?

Black Panthers - voter intimidation 

actual government agents at voter sites to harass Hispanics - not 

TROLL HARD

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:
7 hours ago, RandomIdoit said:
Every citizen or permanent resident should have an ID in my opinion. If they cannot afford the $16 to obtain one, then the state could provide one. 

Let us know when that happens. Until then, your assertion it's not voter suppression is false.

Fortunately, Texas let's you use paychecks, birth certificates, government checks and other ways for you to "identify" yourself to be able to vote. You just have to fill out a Reasonable Impediment Declaration.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Black Panthers - voter intimidation 

actual government agents at voter sites to harass Hispanics - not 

TROLL HARD

Damn... being a centrist sucks in here. No matter what question I asked I'm pummeled by team blue or by team red. 

Is this prison rules? Do I have to join a tribe to fit in? And we wonder why we are so divided as a nation. 

• Fuck You 4

22 minutes ago, Clob94 said:

Damn... being a centrist sucks in here. No matter what question I asked I'm pummeled by team blue or by team red. 

Is this prison rules? Do I have to join a tribe to fit in? And we wonder why we are so divided as a nation. 

Dude, nobody is buying your bullshit.

I was curious if I was misremembering you so I just went through your entire post history.  From Day 1 on here, your whole shtick has been "I'm a centrist, but here's why the Republicans are right."  It's annoyingly transparent and you are not fooling anyone.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, RandomIdoit said:

Fortunately, Texas let's you use paychecks, birth certificates, government checks and other ways for you to "identify" yourself to be able to vote. You just have to fill out a Reasonable Impediment Declaration.

Acquiring proper identification really is a simple task, one that should be mastered by the age of 18. It’s depresssing when one ponders the reality that there are adults amongst us that lack such basic knowledge. 

• Like 1

How did the Republic manage to survive for over 200 years without voter ID laws? And in person voter fraud was never a problem. Hell, photo ID really wasn't even a thing until the 20th century.

You don't need an ID to register to vote. You don't need one to vote by absentee ballot. You didn't need one to vote in person for hundreds of years and it wasn't a problem. The Republicans have manufactured an imaginary problem the solution to which has the totally intended side-effect of suppressing the votes of people who are more likely to vote Democrat. They've even been caught on tape admitting as much. There's no shortage of useful idiots who buy their bullshit wholesale without giving it any thought. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Acquiring proper identification really is a simple task, one that should be mastered by the age of 18. It’s depresssing when one ponders the reality that there are adults amongst us that lack such basic knowledge. 

It's a simple task if you have the supporting documents and have a car or live in an area with good public transportation.

If, for example, you don't have a birth certificate because the state of Texas refused to issue one at your birth because the Texas government doesn't like the color of your skin, it's an incredibly cumbersome task.

Edited by DanRydell

14 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

How did the Republic manage to survive for over 200 years without voter ID laws? And in person voter fraud was never a problem. Hell, photo ID really wasn't even a thing until the 20th century.

You don't need an ID to register to vote. You don't need one to vote by absentee ballot. You didn't need one to vote in person for hundreds of years and it wasn't a problem. The Republicans have manufactured an imaginary problem the solution to which has the totally intended side-effect of suppressing the votes of people who are more likely to vote Democrat. They've even been caught on tape admitting as much. There's no shortage of useful idiots who buy their bullshit wholesale without giving it any thought. 

I believe the biggest issue, much to the chagrin of the Democrats, is that these potential voters aren’t very motivated to get to the polls. 

Your point about managing without voter ID laws and maintaining complete autonomy is in stark contrast to the Democrat’s assertion. I take it you believe there was no Russian interference? Anyone with a semi-formed frontal lobe sees this doublespeak for what it truly is, more blue votes. Clamoring about Russian interference, while suggesting voter ID laws are a form of voter suppression is painfully illogical. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Dude, nobody is buying your bullshit.

I was curious if I was misremembering you so I just went through your entire post history.  From Day 1 on here, your whole shtick has been "I'm a centrist, but here's why the Republicans are right."  It's annoyingly transparent and you are not fooling anyone.

Ah I see. This is how it works on the left. Suppress others opinions when it doesn't align  with your own. That's cool man. I guess I need to scroll down and find some hot buttton postings about gay marriage and women's right to choose so I can earn my blue merit badge back. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 5

57 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

It's not about knowledge that presents the challenge but lacking some key documents that prove who you are.   You may also need a spare business day or two to stand in line at the DPS and/or SS offices.   Not everyone can take off from work or afford the lost income.

And I bring up SS office because DPS wants to see SS documents to show you are who you say you are.  SS wants to see state documents that show you are who you say you are.  god forbid if you have neither on hand.

and none of the above are insurmountable but costs you a couple of days of work.

5 minutes ago, Clob94 said:

Ah I see. This is how it works on the left. Suppress others opinions when it doesn't align  with your own. That's cool man. I guess I need to scroll down and find some hot buttton postings about gay marriage and women's right to choose so I can earn my blue merit badge back. 

Conflating "criticism" with "suppression."  Yet another thing that centrists do all the time.  Yep.

There have been ample opportunities on this board for you to show ANY evidence that you are a something other than a right wing apologist, and aside from saying "I'm a centrist" a thousand times, you have taken advantage of zero of them.    

Might be time to jump to another one of your socks and try again.

41 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

It's a simple task if you have the supporting documents and have a car or live in an area with good public transportation.

If, for example, you don't have a birth certificate because the state of Texas refused to issue one at your birth because the Texas government doesn't like the color of your skin, it's an incredibly cumbersome task.

If one finds themselves in that rare and unenviable position, the road is longer, but can be managed fairly easily. 

18 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's not about knowledge that presents the challenge but lacking some key documents that prove who you are.   You may also need a spare business day or two to stand in line at the DPS and/or SS offices.   Not everyone can take off from work or afford the lost income.

And I bring up SS office because DPS wants to see SS documents to show you are who you say you are.  SS wants to see state documents that show you are who you say you are.  god forbid if you have neither on hand.

and none of the above are insurmountable but costs you a couple of days of work.

There’s an opportunity cost to every decision one makes. 

23 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Conflating "criticism" with "suppression."  Yet another thing that centrists do all the time.  Yep.

There have been ample opportunities on this board for you to show ANY evidence that you are a something other than a right wing apologist, and aside from saying "I'm a centrist" a thousand times, you have taken advantage of zero of them.    

Might be time to jump to another one of your socks and try again.

Oh, my bad. I was unaware this was your personal proving ground of political and ideological beliefs. I've commented on a whopping 4-5 issues because they are simply at the top of the board. 

I will GLADLY debate with you my formula for not only providing Medicare for all, along with cutting border spending, legalizing all forms of marijuana and not only balancing our budget, but running at a surplus and starting to trim down our national debt, if you'd like to start a thread on it. 

*anxiously awaiting your affirmation* 

43 minutes ago, Clob94 said:

Mr. Clob, I'm actually going to need to see your government issued ID in order for you to exercise your constitutional right to express your opinion. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

Mr. Clob, I'm actually going to need to see your government issued ID in order for you to exercise your constitutional right to express your opinion. 

Sure thing homie. Would you prefer drivers license, passport, birth certificate social security card or any combination of the four? 

4 minutes ago, Clob94 said:

Oh, my bad. I was unaware this was your personal proving ground of political and ideological beliefs. I've commented on a whopping 4-5 issues because they are simply at the top of the board. 

You must have somehow missed the threads at the top of the board about

Separation of families
Trump's big government intervention in the market place via tariffs and handouts
Privacy vs. Security where Republicans want to have full access to all information on all Americans
Jim Jordan, Republican hopeful for Speaker who didn't think saying something about sexual assault was necessary
The politically motivated arrest of Stormy Daniels

It's truly a mystery how you only seem to miss the threads where the GOP is acting like big government goons. Bewildering, really.

Oh wait, you found the thread about Sasha Baron Cohen's new show. I'm sure in there you pointed out all the horrific things the Republicans said. Let's go check.

Oh no, sorry. You just complained about SBC and people trying to "get" other people. Somehow the biggest issue with Republicans saying horrific things on camera was the fact that society wants to see such things.

You're a clown.

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Clob94 said:

Sure thing homie. Would you prefer drivers license, passport, birth certificate social security card or any combination of the four? 

Social Security card will suffice, also will need banking info and credit card numbers in order to verify SS# is correct, new procedure in 2018. 

On a side note, I'll be hosing a Surly happy hour at Treasures if anybody would like to join. Clob9 I'll be covering the tab. 

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

You must have somehow missed the threads at the top of the board about

Separation of families
Trump's big government intervention in the market place via tariffs and handouts
Privacy vs. Security where Republicans want to have full access to all information on all Americans
Jim Jordan, Republican hopeful for Speaker who didn't think saying something about sexual assault was necessary
The politically motivated arrest of Stormy Daniels

It's truly a mystery how you only seem to miss the threads where the GOP is acting like big government goons. Bewildering, really.

Oh wait, you found the thread about Sasha Baron Cohen's new show. I'm sure in there you pointed out all the horrific things the Republicans said. Let's go check.

Oh no, sorry. You just complained about SBC and people trying to "get" other people. Somehow the biggest issue with Republicans saying horrific things on camera was the fact that society wants to see such things.

You're a clown.

Sbc tried to get Ted Coppell. Give it a rest man. Your biased attempt to try and paint me as a Republican is just as echo chamberish as the aggys that tried to paint me an a radical leftist. Their echo chamber is no better than yours. Two warring tribes and it's always the people trapped in the middle that get forced or shamed into joining sides. You're junior high peer pressure tactics don't work on me. As I said to another poster, I'd gladly sit down with you and discuss the merits of any topic over a beer if you're ever in Gruene. 

Btw-- calling people names shows a lack of respect for self and others. As a Longhorn, I would expect you to be above that. 

3 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

Social Security card will suffice, also will need banking info and credit card numbers in order to verify SS# is correct, new procedure in 2018. 

On a side note, I'll be hosing a Surly happy hour at Treasures if anybody would like to join. Clob9 I'll be covering the tab. 

Sorry man. I quit hanging out at strip clubs after I completed the Motley Crue "Girls, girls, girls" tour in my late 20s. The Body shop sucked. 

10 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Once upon a time I had a car stolen. I had just gotten back from Asia and was moving, so in my car I had my passport wallet, s.s. card, birth certificate, everything.

You don't realize how hard it is to get things replaced without having the building blocks of some of these foundational ID requirements until you start trying to replace them and you need 1 ID from column A, 1 from column B, and 1 from C, etc.

Wait a minute, how do we know this is the real OatmealRaisinCookie? For all we know, you could be the thief that stole OatmealRaisinCookie’s identity.

29 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Let's have a national ID free of charge.

Problem solved.

I love it. But how does this prove that people are eligible to vote? And what about the people that have other constraints besides the $16 it costs to get an ID?

4 minutes ago, RandomIdoit said:

I love it. But how does this prove that people are eligible to vote? And what about the people that have other constraints besides the $16 it costs to get an ID?

Well, if you've been convicted of a felony I assume you're already on the list of "folks that can't vote".... if you've got a green card, you can do state and local, not federal, so there would have to be two lists for that...if you were born here or are a nationalized citizen you've got a birth certificate and/or other citizenship documents. Am I forgetting anything? 

Let's have a national ID free of charge.
Problem solved.

Yep. Issue the first one in 8th grade at school, like picture day, so the vast majority of everyone is at least in the system once in their lifetime. Then you just have to update it as needed. Hell, do it earlier and modify the SSN process to include a picture.

Sbc tried to get Ted Coppell. Give it a rest man. Your biased attempt to try and paint me as a Republican is just as echo chamberish as the aggys that tried to paint me an a radical leftist. Their echo chamber is no better than yours. Two warring tribes and it's always the people trapped in the middle that get forced or shamed into joining sides. You're junior high peer pressure tactics don't work on me. As I said to another poster, I'd gladly sit down with you and discuss the merits of any topic over a beer if you're ever in Gruene. 

Btw-- calling people names shows a lack of respect for self and others. As a Longhorn, I would expect you to be above that. 
No, I respect myself just fine. It's you who deserves none.

You've also just committed another classic Republican fake centrist mistake. You think I'm a Democrat or leftist because I've pointed out your hypocrisy and lies. Unfortunately for you that's not the case.
  • Fuck You 1

48 minutes ago, Clob94 said:

Ahem

Taps microphone

Go fuck yourself. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Clob94 said:

Well, if you've been convicted of a felony I assume you're already on the list of "folks that can't vote"

That's actually not true. 

You may register to vote any time after you have reached the age of 17 years and 10 months so that your registration can be processed in time for an election falling on or after you turn 18 years old.

Other voter eligibility requirements include:

• You must be a citizen of the United States.
  • You must reside in the county where you are registering.
  • You must NOT be a convicted felon who is currently incarcerated, on parole, or probation.*
  • You must NOT have been declared mentally incompetent in a court of law.

Once you have completed your period of incarceration, parole, and/or probation your voting rights are restored. You may need to re-register to vote.

10 minutes ago, Clob94 said:

if you've got a green card, you can do state and local, not federal, so there would have to be two lists for that...if you were born here or are a nationalized citizen you've got a birth certificate and/or other citizenship documents. Am I forgetting anything? 

My point is just having a national ID does not automatically mean that you are eligible to vote. And I could be wrong, but I think David Dennison wants everyone in the US to have a national ID, whether they are here legally or not.

18 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

No, I respect myself just fine. It's you who deserves none.

You've also just committed another classic Republican fake centrist mistake. You think I'm a Democrat or leftist because I've pointed out your hypocrisy and lies. Unfortunately for you that's not the case.

Gets offered to sit and have a beer and discuss issues, still accuses someone he doesn't know of a falsehood. You're right...... that's a nazi tactic. My bad. 

To be clear, clob registered on this site on 3/29 and made a post that day.  Then he was completely silent until he jumped head first into the Stormy Daniels and Strzok threads on July 12, and he has been a fairly prolific poster since then.  

There isn't a more obvious sock on the board.  If there's a way to find out who was banned on 7/12, then I'm fairly sure we all will know who this is.

29 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Yep. Issue the first one in 8th grade at school, like picture day, so the vast majority of everyone is at least in the system once in their lifetime. Then you just have to update it as needed. Hell, do it earlier and modify the SSN process to include a picture.

8th grade? We're talking about Republicans here. Issue them upon conception. 

Gets offered to sit and have a beer and discuss issues, still accuses someone he doesn't know of a falsehood. You're right...... that's a nazi tactic. My bad. 
Claims Longhorns should be above name-calling, refers to others as using nazi tactics.

Oh wait, the hypocrisy has already been well-established. Nothing new here.
  • Fuck You 1

26 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

To be clear, clob registered on this site on 3/29 and made a post that day.  Then he was completely silent until he jumped head first into the Stormy Daniels and Strzok threads on July 12, and he has been a fairly prolific poster since then.  

There isn't a more obvious sock on the board.  If there's a way to find out who was banned on 7/12, then I'm fairly sure we all will know who this is.

As a Longhorn of Texas from the University of Austin, Texas, you should know better than to call people out for such things. 

Obvious troll is obvious.

40 minutes ago, Clob94 said:

I prefer to keep things civil. But hey, if profanity or violence is your drug of choice, far be it from me to deter you. 

Sir, I may disagree with what you have to say, sir, but I will die defending your right to say it, sir. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Why?

It's just my personal opinion that it would be useful to prove your identity and prove that you are here legally. In Texas, they now require you to be a US Citizen or present "evidence of lawful presence".

When at the driver license office, the Customer Service Representative (CSR) will verify the period of lawful presence with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS). A driver license or ID card cannot be issued until the period of lawful presence is verified by DHS. If the CSR is unable to immediately verify the information electronically, an additional verification is initiated and the individual will be given instructions on what to do next.

2 minutes ago, RandomIdoit said:

It's just my personal opinion that it would be useful to prove your identity and prove that you are here legally. In Texas, they now require you to be a US Citizen or present "evidence of lawful presence".

Papers please.