Voter Suppression

Pancho

• 2 weeks later...

i voted less than 5 miles from TSU. we had at least 6 people working the poll. it might have been 8, i didn't stop to count. 2 at the door, at least 4 to 6 checking you in. my polling place had at least 30 machines, once again i didn't count 

they consolidated several other polling places (in the black neighborhoods) into one poll at tsu. only 12 voting machines. 

voter suppression 101

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bruh Man said:

5.5 hour wait to vote at Texas Southern. I wonder how long the waits were at SMU. 

Great voter! Texans are tough as nails and know hardship. Makes me proud of the voters. The people responsible for that voting location need to be fired. 

• Like 1

That’s insane. Is there not county wide polling in Harris? I understand some people don’t have cars, but making Election Day a “free ride” day for buses seems like a really simple solution that could have a huge impact. Somebody probably also needs to start spending some money to let people know they can vote anywhere.

We had polls at my HOA amenity center. Only six machines, but only waited about ten minutes. Driving to work afterwards and passed Randall’s (about 5 minutes away) where there were hundreds of people in line.

• Like 1

There’s a voting rights act lawsuit in that fact pattern.
Pulling up the county map yesterday and clicking through each group of 20 stations, it seemed like there were always far more stations west of downtown than east. Guess that observation was correct.

MIL and SIL went to vote in Grimes county.  When they said they were voting in Dem primary, the woman behind the table just glared at them and a guy off to the side audibly said that Dems should be forced to vote somewhere else.  Fucking aggy.
Hopefully the train plows right through that lady's living room.

There was another voting center literally 0.9 miles away.

The workers should know that.  Or better yet there should be some sort of website or app that has wait times.

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 1

The workers should know that.  Or better yet there should be some sort of website or app that has wait times.

A mile is a long way if you don’t have a car.

Open the polling places that were purposefully closed in minority areas. Quit with the bullshit discrimination.
  • Like 3

It was not discrimination unless you are willing to believe the Democratic party of Harris County deliberately set out to disenfranchise its largest voting bloc. Not even they are that stupid. 

It was a bunch of fuck-ups ranging from a bad roll-out of the Democrat-enacted county-wide polling plan, mechanical problems, and volunteers being idiots in some cases. (I heard of one case where one volunteer wheeled a machine outside for some presumably handicapped voter to use, by which six or seven other machines were put out of commission for an hour or so. Something to do with the wiring.)

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

there is.  harrisvotes.org had all that info.  there are fewer voting locations on the east side of the county. 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Am I incorrect in my understanding that Harris County polling locations, closures, etc. are determined and directed by the Commissioner's Court of Harris County?

afaik it's the county clerk.

anyway, texas standard had a short interview on it this morning, start at about 20 minutes:

https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/texas-standard-for-march-4-2020/

Edited by elfenix

3 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

It was not discrimination unless you are willing to believe the Democratic party of Harris County deliberately set out to disenfranchise its largest voting bloc. Not even they are that stupid. 

It was a bunch of fuck-ups ranging from a bad roll-out of the Democrat-enacted county-wide polling plan, mechanical problems, and volunteers being idiots in some cases. (I heard of one case where one volunteer wheeled a machine outside for some presumably handicapped voter to use, by which six or seven other machines were put out of commission for an hour or so. Something to do with the wiring.)

Why do you hate black people? /Brisket

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

afaik it's the county clerk

Neither.  The Democrat Party's County Election Chair determines the Democrat primary polling locations.

The County Clerk typically is contracted to carry out each party's plan, but they can contract with anyone they want.

Edited by JBJ

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

MIL and SIL went to vote in Grimes county.  When they said they were voting in Dem primary, the woman behind the table just glared at them and a guy off to the side audibly said that Dems should be forced to vote somewhere else.  Fucking aggy.

that's against the law and they should report that incident to the county election official (who's probably a republican aggy)

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Am I incorrect in my understanding that Harris County polling locations, closures, etc. are determined and directed by the Commissioner's Court of Harris County?

you can vote anywhere in harris county, with your voter id card and picture id 

Edited by tx 3 putt

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

that's against the law and they should report that incident to the county election official (who's probably a republican aggy)

an investigation would determine that this incident never occurred, and even if it had, the guy was joking. 

I had to laugh at one of the panhandle counties that had less than 12 Dem voters yesterday. you know there is a list being kept by someone of those liberals that need to be watched. Tangent: some Texas counties need to consolidate. Waste of resources to have counties with 1000 people. Now the counties that are the size of Delaware with 1000 people, that is another issue.

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

an investigation would determine that this incident never occurred, and even if it had, the guy was joking. 

I had to laugh at one of the panhandle counties that had less than 12 Dem voters yesterday. you know there is a list being kept by someone of those liberals that need to be watched. Tangent: some Texas counties need to consolidate. Waste of resources to have counties with 1000 people. Now the counties that are the size of Delaware with 1000 people, that is another issue.

which primary you vote in is public record. 

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

hp-sos-bg-capitol-secretary-274x400.jpg

The points addressed in this are different from the polling issues in Harris county: 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/02/texas-polling-sites-closures-voting

"Some counties closed enough polling locations to violate Texas state law. Brazoria county, south of Houston, closed almost 60% of its polling locations between 2012 and 2018, causing it to fall below the statutory minimum, along with another county. In a statement, Brazoria county clerk Joyce Hudman said the closures were inadvertent, and that this would not happen again in 2020.

A Guardian analysis based on that report confirms what many activists have suspected: the places where the black and Latinx population is growing by the largest numbers have experienced the vast majority of the state’s poll site closures.

The analysis finds that the 50 counties that gained the most Black and Latinx residents between 2012 and 2018 closed 542 polling sites, compared to just 34 closures in the 50 counties that have gained the fewest black and Latinx residents. This is despite the fact that the population in the former group of counties has risen by 2.5 million people, whereas in the latter category the total population has fallen by over 13,000."

24 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The points addressed in this are different from the polling issues in Harris county: 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/02/texas-polling-sites-closures-voting

"Some counties closed enough polling locations to violate Texas state law. Brazoria county, south of Houston, closed almost 60% of its polling locations between 2012 and 2018, causing it to fall below the statutory minimum, along with another county. In a statement, Brazoria county clerk Joyce Hudman said the closures were inadvertent, and that this would not happen again in 2020.

A Guardian analysis based on that report confirms what many activists have suspected: the places where the black and Latinx population is growing by the largest numbers have experienced the vast majority of the state’s poll site closures.

The analysis finds that the 50 counties that gained the most Black and Latinx residents between 2012 and 2018 closed 542 polling sites, compared to just 34 closures in the 50 counties that have gained the fewest black and Latinx residents. This is despite the fact that the population in the former group of counties has risen by 2.5 million people, whereas in the latter category the total population has fallen by over 13,000."

I read that yesterday and wished the Guardian was a little clearer with the analysis.  I mean, the county with the fewest black and latino residents is probably something at the top of the panhandle with 30 people.  of course there aren't going to be many closures there.

hays county had the same issue at texas state campus, 100% by design. conservative counties have been at war with college/university voting for some time. 

waller county and prairie view a&m have been at war for sometime over voting access. to simplify it, waller county whites do not want black prairie view students voting, period. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/in-rural-texas-black-students-fight-for-voting-access-conjures-a-painful-past/2019/09/24/fa18e880-ca69-11e9-a1fe-ca46e8d573c0_story.html

32 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

hays county had the same issue at texas state campus, 100% by design. conservative counties have been at war with college/university voting for some time. 

Hays County is a joint primary, so the County Clerk does get final say on voting locations.  The County Clerk is also a Democrat.

Edited by JBJ

Towns almost always have disagreements with college students voting regardless of party. The towns love the revenue that is generated because of the school but they don't want to share political power with the students. bunch of bs.

The town whines about temporary residents but to my knowledge that is a term that has zero meaning with voting. If you spend a majority of your time and have a residence there, you are free to call yourself a resident. Just because that resident is a dorm, so what.

3 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I read that yesterday and wished the Guardian was a little clearer with the analysis.  I mean, the county with the fewest black and latino residents is probably something at the top of the panhandle with 30 people.  of course there aren't going to be many closures there.

Still doesn't explain the need to close polling stations in areas that are GROWING in population. 

Mom and stepdad live in Wise County. My mom is from Pleasant Grove and she doesn't take any shit but she said she ppl always look at them like they hate them. It's wise county those 2 votes don't mean shit but my mom always votes
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Still doesn't explain the need to close polling stations in areas that are GROWING in population. 

There's a thread on this.  They are shifting from the precinct polling place to the Vote Center model.

https://www.larimer.org/clerk/elections/resources/history-vote-centers/benefits-vote-center-model

Theres a bit more to it, but it's the "vote anywhere you choose" method.

If you are assigned to a polling location, that's the precinct model.

Vote from any location has a big flaw in that how they can the county adequately prepare for the number of voters?

I'm not advocating this solution, but they county could ask people to indicate (???) beforehand if they plan to vote any place besides their precinct. I can think of flaws with that plan too but it can help the county prepare.

Also November is going to be a cluster because straight ticket voting is gone. Voting will take much longer for people. Instead of one click, now it's 75.

• 3 weeks later...

If y’all want something besides Covid-19 to keep you up at night, a new documentary just dropped on HBO.

“Kill-Chain : The Cyber War On America’s Elections” follows an election security analyst, Harri Hursti, as he interviews politicians and election officials and cyber security experts and actual hackers.

We’re so fucked.

And I had no idea that Brian Kemp’s Chief of Staff was most recently the head lobbyist for ES&S - a company that makes voting machines and software used all over America.

Including Georgia.

• Like 1

Constant Vigilance

While in state government, Wilson voted for laws that banned abortion after 15 weeks and after a fetal heartbeat is detected. Before taking office. he referred to the federal health care law as “illegitimate” and wrote in support of voter identification laws. The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights opposed his nomination, calling him “more suited to serve as a Fox News commentator than federal judge.”

I don't know if this has been addressed up thread, but if blue states all pass mail in voting and the red states don't, wouldn't red states be at a disadvantage if a lot of their olds don't go out to vote because of fear of corona? Seems like they would want to make it easy for their best age group to vote.

4 minutes ago, Zombie said:

I don't know if this has been addressed up thread, but if blue states all pass mail in voting and the red states don't, wouldn't red states be at a disadvantage if a lot of their olds don't go out to vote because of fear of corona? Seems like they would want to make it easy for their best age group to vote.

Old generally will be scared to go out because of CV-19. The base will not be scared to go out, because trump will tell them it's safe to do so. If he loses and they contract COVID-19, what's is matter to him? He's lost already.

1 hour ago, Zombie said:

In person voting is a hassle. Mail in voting would enable a lot more of the working poor who can't take time off to go to the polls to cast a ballot. It also makes it easier to vote for minorities who've seen polling places in their neighborhoods get shut down. That would disproportionately favor the Democratic candidate. The Republicans know that. That's why they're against it.