Voter Suppression

Pancho

14 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Everyone in Texas has to show an id, checked against the voter roll 

what’s a voter ID going to do ?

trumpy wants the texas model everywhere.  remember how you used to be able to use your voter registration card?  now you have to use DL. 

my dad is functionally blind, doesn't drive, so of course he should have to go stand in line at the DMV in order to vote.  that just makes lots of sense, right?

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, elfenix said:

trumpy wants the texas model everywhere.  remember how you used to be able to use your voter registration card?  now you have to use DL. 

my dad is functionally blind, doesn't drive, so of course he should have to go stand in line at the DMV in order to vote.  that just makes lots of sense, right?

What color is he?

Surprise, surprise ...

And the obligatory disingenuous bullshit from the bill sponsor:

Mills discounted that argument Tuesday during the Senate debate to override the veto.

“I am sure that we will have those clerks’ offices open and doing business later in the spring or summer,” he said. “And there’s going to be ample opportunities for folks that do not have a valid photo ID to obtain that free photo ID that is allowed in this piece of legislation.”

Fuck these people.

33 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

this move alone doesn't move the meter. it'll be interesting to see if they couple this with a registered voter purge. that's how you move the needle in your favor 

Thank god the Wisconsin Supreme Court race went the democrats way. Wisconsin republicans were about to purge 200K voters off the rolls. Supposedly, we now have the votes to stop them from doing that.

On 4/15/2020 at 12:35 PM, Voldemort86 said:

Thank god the Wisconsin Supreme Court race went the democrats way. Wisconsin republicans were about to purge 200K voters off the rolls. Supposedly, we now have the votes to stop them from doing that.

Nope..... What a pussy.

Smh.

A little good news....

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Nope..... What a pussy.

Smh.

A little good news....

That motherfucker!

wisconsin has to be the worst state in history when it comes to lame duck politics!  People are still hurting after what Pond Scum Scott Walker and the legislature did after Evers kicked Walker’s ugly ass in the 2018 election.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

That motherfucker!

wisconsin has to be the worst state in history when it comes to lame duck politics!  People are still hurting after what Pond Scum Scott Walker and the legislature did after Evers kicked Walker’s ugly ass in the 2018 election.

Stick around. Louisiana, Mississippi, georgia, Kentucky, f'k it, the south will surprise ya. Theyll dig a trench to lower the bar if they need to. 

In better news, Milwaukee Common Council unanimously approves SafeVote Program, which will send an absentee ballot application to every registered voter.

Would be better if they sent actual ballots, but this is a huge step in the right direction. Every major city should be doing this to counteract since the GOP who will do everything to strangle democracy.

• Like 1

I actually emailed the Secretary of State office before Ken Paxton said the excuse of not wanting to get Coronavirus was not reason enough. The S.O.S office bolded the disability excuse or fear of becoming ill as a reason I could use for an absentee request. Going to be interesting to see how this shakes out in Texas

its amazing to me that otherwise rational, sane people believe that there are going to be anything even resembling legitimate elections in November.  Republicans are not going to allow themselves, and Trump, to be voted outed of office.  that's not speculation, that's being proven in no uncertain terms in real time.

• Like 2

“Citing the threats of the coronavirus, six Texas voters filed suit in federal court Wednesday challenging restrictions that limit age eligibility for voting-by-mail to those 65 and older.

In a lawsuit filed in San Antonio, the voters — all between the ages of 18 and 28 — claim the Texas election code violates the 26th Amendment’s protections against voting restrictions that discriminate based on age. While all Texas voters 65 and older can request a mail-in ballot, those younger than 65 must meet a narrow set of requirements to qualify.“

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/04/29/texas-voters-sue-over-age-restrictions-mail-ballots/

I will never understand how to post pictures here, or TAPA

just got a response from Cornyn office saying he voted for 400 million in support of online voter registration and increased ballot by mail, while completely ignoring Texas doesn’t allow online voter registration and having to be over 65 to vote by mail with no excuse, all while Ken Paxton says fear of getting COVID is not reason enough.

Edited by StassneyHorn

On 4/29/2020 at 12:35 PM, StassneyHorn said:

“Citing the threats of the coronavirus, six Texas voters filed suit in federal court Wednesday challenging restrictions that limit age eligibility for voting-by-mail to those 65 and older.

In a lawsuit filed in San Antonio, the voters — all between the ages of 18 and 28 — claim the Texas election code violates the 26th Amendment’s protections against voting restrictions that discriminate based on age. While all Texas voters 65 and older can request a mail-in ballot, those younger than 65 must meet a narrow set of requirements to qualify.“

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/04/29/texas-voters-sue-over-age-restrictions-mail-ballots/

Seems like a pretty solid case. If the elderly are allowed to voted by mail solely due to their age, it’s a discriminatory act against younger people, aka those under 65. And the 26th amendment forbids using age as a factor in voting outside of those under 18.

My guess is that this lawsuit is successful but it’s get kicked up thru the appeal courts eventually to the scotus.  In other words, it won’t impact the 2020 elections.

Another option favored by the Right could be to make people claim they have some medical concerns about standing in line, and that lying is a crime.  That would relatively keep the status quo.  My mom wouldn’t go stand in line as she would physically struggle to do so. I would hope that we could use some honor system and not require doctors notes as that just creates an unnecessary.

yes the gop in Texas could allow everyone vote by mail but I don’t see that as their next step.

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Seems like a pretty solid case. If the elderly are allowed to voted by mail solely due to their age, it’s a discriminatory act against younger people, aka those under 65. And the 26th amendment forbids using age as a factor in voting outside of those under 18.

My guess is that this lawsuit is successful but it’s get kicked up thru the appeal courts eventually to the scotus.  In other words, it won’t impact the 2020 elections.

Another option favored by the Right could be to make people claim they have some medical concerns about standing in line, and that lying is a crime.  That would relatively keep the status quo.  My mom wouldn’t go stand in line as she would physically struggle to do so. I would hope that we could use some honor system and not require doctors notes as that just creates an unnecessary.

yes the gop in Texas could allow everyone vote by mail but I don’t see that as their next step.

Early voting needs to be heavily stressed for those states that have always had it.  I don't think I've ever waited in a line longer than 4 or 5 people in my entire life because I always vote early.  If we can get people to just go fucking vote early, we can spread people out and it won't be nearly as big of a deal.  

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

ken paxton laughs in your face 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 12:07 PM, StassneyHorn said:

I actually emailed the Secretary of State office before Ken Paxton said the excuse of not wanting to get Coronavirus was not reason enough. The S.O.S office bolded the disability excuse or fear of becoming ill as a reason I could use for an absentee request. Going to be interesting to see how this shakes out in Texas

Figured out how easy to use IBB is, hopefully the image below pops up from my email. This was around 4/15 from the Texas Secretary of State’s election office before Paxton said fears of the virus are not enough for a absentee ballot.

2-AC265-F7-E226-4304-82-C6-6-FBBFC3983-D
D827-E737-DE3-F-4-E95-944-A-0565803-A68-

On 4/26/2020 at 3:36 PM, NWBuck said:

No need- the GOP will cite this frequently when they tell us why they need to cancel or postpone the election in November.

There are all sorts of legal difficulties in actually postponing the election, but I fully expect the notion of postponement to be used as a voter suppression tool.  Such as a campaign targeting  minority voters telling them the election has been postponed.

just doing a will of the people

In the middle of the Covid-19 pandemic, Missouri Republicans are seeking to undo a recent effort to make electoral districts in the state legislature more fair.

Lawmakers are trying to gut a referendum voters embraced in 2018 that sought to prevent excessive gerrymandering

https://www.yahoo.com/news/missouri-republicans-verge-gutting-gerrymandering-100004085.html