Voter Suppression

Pancho

42 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

There’s no way this guy would intentionally deprive black people of their fundamental right to vote.

I'm Brian Kemp. Watch me check off every trope of maga dumbfucks in existence. 

1 hour ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

I'm reading what you wrote and what you didn't. Feel free to clarify. Do you think 80 polling sites being closed inhibits citizens' right to vote?

Well let's see..based on this article from 2018(2 long years ago), it seems as though the counties have a say so in closing polling sites. 

ATLANTA — Election officials in a majority black county in rural south Georgia took less than a minute Friday to scrap a proposal to eliminate most of the local polling places, after the plan drew criticism from all over the country.

Concern about the proposal to close seven of the county's nine voting locations was "overwhelming," and is "an encouraging reminder that protecting the right to vote remains a fundamental American principle," the elections board in Randolph County said in a statement.

Voting and civil rights groups applauded the decision but said the episode demonstrates the need to restore Voting Rights Act protections that were tossed out by the U.S. Supreme Court in 2013.

The elections board, made up of a black woman and a white man, took about 30 seconds to vote down the proposal, county attorney Tommy Coleman said.

Racist Governor didn't win. Yay Team!!!

In emails to supporters Friday, Kemp and Abrams applauded the board's decision.

"Today, the Board of Elections, who are empowered to make these decisions, finally did the right thing and rejected this ill-advised, poorly timed proposal from an independent consultant who is not backed by the Secretary of State's office," Kemp's email says.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/georgia-county-scraps-plan-close-most-polling-places-n903691

County election officials said precinct closures saved taxpayers’ money that was being spent on low-turnout locations staffed by at least three poll workers. They said so many voters take advantage of early and absentee voting — 55% in last November’s election — that there’s no longer a need to have so many in-person polling places on Election Day.

Precinct closures are county-level decisions made by local elections boards, but The Leadership Conference Education Fund report faults Brian Kemp, who was secretary of state at the time, for allegedly encouraging polling place reductions. Kemp is now Georgia’s governor.

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/precincts-have-closed-across-georgia-and-nation-since-court-ruling/ecgFnCOcs46mJkpXehwm2L/

Damn Racist Governor, probably bribed or forced the elected officials(at gun point) to close those 80 polling precincts. What other reason could there be? Surely, not local incompetence or the fact that they can pass the blame and still be the victims..Right? Encouragement at gunpoint, obviously.

This whole thread was designed for one purpose, to play upon fear and ignorance so that 'your' party can win. Brian Kemp may be trying to stop minorities from voting, but he is getting a lot of help from the other side. Especially in Atlanta. So if you want to call Kemp out, make damn sure you call all of the complicit elected officials out. Not just the ones, you don't politically agree with. 

spacer.png

And to answer your original question, yes the citizens deserved better. And their is being inhibited. But you tell me, who has more culpability for this.

Edited by Brothahorn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Wait, so this can be challenged and fixed before Nov right? Seems like the worst environment for the gop to be pulling this shit 

why would kemp want to fix this ?

nov is all about suppressing the black and latino vote for the republican party. this method is much easier than asking the supreme court to throw out huge blocks of votes

13 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Brian Kemp is so racist, he got white folks waiting in line..

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

why would kemp want to fix this ?

nov is all about suppressing the black and latino vote for the republican party. this method is much easier than asking the supreme court to throw out huge blocks of votes

Precinct closures are county-level decisions made by local elections boards

spacer.png

Edited by Brothahorn
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

ill just take guess, the georgia secretary of state has a huge say in selecting those election boards. ill also take a guess, he's a republican 

Maybe.

But we know for certain who does have a huge say in selecting the election boards.

Terms: Each board member's term is two years (odd number) July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2021

Number of Board Seats: 5

Membership:

The chairperson shall be appointed by the governing authority, the Fulton County Board of Commissioners.

Two members shall be appointed by the governing authority by the Republican chairperson of the county executive committee.

Two members shall be appointed by the governing authority by the Democratic chairperson of the county executive committee.

Description:
Pursuant to O.C.G.A. § 21-2-40,   there was created the Fulton County Board of Elections and Registration which shall have the powers and duties of the election superintendent of Fulton County relating to the conduct of elections and the powers and duties of the board of registrars relating to the registration of voters and absentee balloting procedures. Established by Georgia Law, 1989, Act 250, this law effectively merged the functions of the former Board of Registrars and the Board of Registration and Elections to create this Board. Act 250 also provided that the members of the former Board of Registration and Elections would be the initial members of this Board, beginning in 1989.

http://www.co.fulton.ga.us/rae-board-of-registration-and-elections

http://myfultoncountyga.org/appointed-boards-a-athorities/4075-2-board-of-registrations-a-elections

https://www.fultoncountyga.gov/commissioners

So if they stand by and allow the Governor and SOTS to suppress the vote, what does that say about them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Well let's see..based on this article from 2018(2 long years ago), it seems as though the counties have a say so in closing polling sites. 

Racist Governor didn't win. Yay Team!!!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/georgia-county-scraps-plan-close-most-polling-places-n903691

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/precincts-have-closed-across-georgia-and-nation-since-court-ruling/ecgFnCOcs46mJkpXehwm2L/

Damn Racist Governor, probably bribed or forced the elected officials(at gun point) to close those 80 polling precincts. What other reason could there be? Surely, not local incompetence or the fact that they can pass the blame and still be the victims..Right? Encouragement at gunpoint, obviously.

This whole thread was designed for one purpose, to play upon fear and ignorance so that 'your' party can win. Brian Kemp may be trying to stop minorities from voting, but he is getting a lot of help from the other side. Especially in Atlanta. So if you want to call Kemp out, make damn sure you call all of the complicit elected officials out. Not just the ones, you don't politically agree with. 

spacer.png

And to answer your original question, yes the citizens deserved better. And their is being inhibited. But you tell me, who has more culpability for this.

You've retreated from your original baseless accusation of "Please direct your concerns to all of the parties responsible" listing exclusively local election officials, to the position that the party that has dominated state politics for 20 years isn't solely responsible.

Is that supposed to be some exoneration in your mind? Name the most prominent Democrat in Georgia who (successfully) advocated for fewer polling sites. I'll name the most prominent Republican.

Governor Brian Kemp.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/12/georgia-voter-suppression-under-kemp.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

You've retreated from your original baseless accusation of "Please direct your concerns to all of the parties responsible" listing exclusively local election officials, to the position that the party that has dominated state politics for 20 years isn't solely responsible.

Is that supposed to be some exoneration in your mind? Name the most prominent Democrat in Georgia who (successfully) advocated for fewer polling sites. I'll name the most prominent Republican.

Governor Brian Kemp.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/12/georgia-voter-suppression-under-kemp.html

Al, I haven't retreated from anything. My original post said to hold all parties accountable, not just your political opponent. And I provided links to those who had just as much responsibility as the Governor, if not more. I showed you that it wasn't just a racist Governor, and you didn't care. I guess you think Fulton county just turned Democrat yesterday. I haven't said the GOP isn't responsible for anything. I just showed you that there is more to the game than the racist Republicans, narrative. Yet here we are again. You're not interested in the truth or facts. Just spreading the fear politics that fit your beliefs. Nothing else left for us to discuss.

6 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Maybe.

But we know for certain who does have a huge say in selecting the election boards.

http://www.co.fulton.ga.us/rae-board-of-registration-and-elections

http://myfultoncountyga.org/appointed-boards-a-athorities/4075-2-board-of-registrations-a-elections

So if they stand by and allow the Governor and SOTS to suppress the vote, what does that say about them?

Interesting that you're far more concerned with who to blame and not that thousands of citizens are being systemically denied the right to vote. At least, based on the volume of your posts on one subject compared to another. 

• Like 2

I just heard a breakdown of the new process from a local political analyst. Ho lee shit. There was no chance it was going to go well.

It starts with the fact that the average age of a poll worker was 70. Average. Then you plug in a ton of other variables that come with a new system (not the least of which was all the training was virtual due to Covid) and it was a perfect storm.

The new system was supposed to be tested with the Democratic presidential primary (Democrats only ) and then the kinks worked out. But that primary never happened and so the first test was with a fairly full ballot and candidates from all parties, with limited training, elderly workers who had literally never touched the equipment before, pouring rain (wet paper jammed the printers) and a host of other factors.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

-South Austin’s Mom

• Like 1

I saw this posted on secrant...quote:

A bunch of Tigers will be flooding the booths in Baton Rouge this November, because LSU head coach Ed Orgeron says ALL of his players decided to team up and register to vote. 

Orgeron revealed the team's decision on the "Off The Bench" show on ESPN Radio Tuesday morning, saying he's working alongside his players to come up with ways to fight the issues they face every day. 

"We had a great team meeting with our football team and I talked to them about specific stuff that was going on in the world today," Coach O said. 

Orgeron added the team's leadership committee -- consisting of 12 players and several coaches -- came up with the idea to make their voices heard by hitting the voting booths. 

"One of the solutions that they came up with as a group and to represent the team, that we're gonna register to vote. The guys wanted to take action."

Good for them.

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

A bunch of Tigers will be flooding the booths in Baton Rouge this November, because LSU head coach Ed Orgeron says ALL of his players decided to team up and register to vote. 

Orgeron revealed the team's decision on the "Off The Bench" show on ESPN Radio Tuesday morning, saying he's working alongside his players to come up with ways to fight the issues they face every day. 

"We had a great team meeting with our football team and I talked to them about specific stuff that was going on in the world today," Coach O said. 

Orgeron added the team's leadership committee -- consisting of 12 players and several coaches -- came up with the idea to make their voices heard by hitting the voting booths. 

"One of the solutions that they came up with as a group and to represent the team, that we're gonna register to vote. The guys wanted to take action."

Good for them.

I like this in concept.  Have to say that there is a biiiit of irony involved here if the agenda is police reform, given LSU players' Louisiana-given rights to rape, assault and pillage, as long as they're in the 2-deep.  That said, I'm definitely on board with any effort to get college students out to vote.

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I'm sure if we put our 12 heads together we can come up with SOMETHING.  Good job brainiacs.

3 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Good for them.

I love this idea... including finding a way for Orgeron to be an ambassador to the United Nations (since he's an expert on stuff going on in the world)
Hell, his is the best Covid-19 PSA I think I've seen:

2 hours ago, Gap03 said:

I like this in concept.  Have to say that there is a biiiit of irony involved here if the agenda is police reform, given LSU players' Louisiana-given rights to rape, assault and pillage, as long as they're in the 2-deep.  That said, I'm definitely on board with any effort to get college students out to vote.

After reading Orgeron's statement, first thing that came to mind was this:

D.A. Jim Trotter: You're the jury. It's your job to decide who's telling the truth. Truth. That's what 'verdict' means. It's a word comes down from Old England and all our little old ancestors.

Watch: Donald Trump Welcomes LSU Tigers to White House ...

Seriously, if young adults get out and vote, that is spectacular.

On 6/10/2020 at 7:06 AM, Captainant said:

Interesting that you're far more concerned with who to blame and not that thousands of citizens are being systemically denied the right to vote. At least, based on the volume of your posts on one subject compared to another. 

How do you expect to fix the problem, if you can't/won't recognize the issues?  If you sincerely cared you would understand that. 

52 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

I just gave you at least four.

No you didn't. You linked the Fulton County Commissioners roster that doesn't identify any party affiliation, have any information on which ones advocated for closing polling sites, chaired by a Commissioner advocating property tax relief.

I saw reports of Georgia voters who DID request early ballots and still had to show up to the polls and vote because they never received their ballots or they were damaged.

Stacey herself stated yesterday it happened to her too.

It was part of the multiple fuckups in Georgia.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I saw reports of Georgia voters who DID request early ballots and still had to show up to the polls and vote because they never received their ballots or they were damaged.

Stacey herself stated yesterday it happened to her too.

It was part of the multiple fuckups in Georgia.

well executed plan 

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

DOTARD Jr has weighed in.   He is so fucking stupid.  Unbelievable 

I'm guessing that the inabilty to do the former in meaningful ways has led to the necessity of doing the latter.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Stacey Abrams really should use her organization within Georgia to push the message about Early Voting. Really shouldn’t have to come to that result if the early period started May 18th.

I do not understand why more people do not take advantage of early voting.  This happened in Houston in 2018 as well.  

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Georgia’s GOP legislature scrambles to make it illegal to give food or water to people waiting to vote. Also to make it illegal for people to bring food or water to wait in line to vote. Also chairs. Because John Roberts said racism is over and it’s all good.

Edited by wildcat09

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I do not understand why more people do not take advantage of early voting.  This happened in Houston in 2018 as well.  

This too.  And as to the answer on accessibility, I confess that my experience is just in Austin....but it's available at numerous relatively central hubs, many of them along public transportation routes.  In other words, even for people who aren't white suburban professionals, there's a lot of access.  Granted, it used to also be at several grocery stores, and I THINK the state banned that (not sure exactly -- something happened), and that should definitely come back.  The one place most people go in a given week is the nearby HEB etc.  A mobile voting center in the parking lot of most grocery stores should be a no-brainer.

I remember a few years ago, one was set up at the HEB at 620 and 2222.  For some reason, I was out that way and needed to stop in the store.  I did, saw the trailer in the parking lot, swung in and voted while I was there, and headed home.  It literally put voting on par with picking up a gallon of milk in terms of difficulty.  It should be that way everywhere, all the time.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

This too.  And as to the answer on accessibility, I confess that my experience is just in Austin....but it's available at numerous relatively central hubs, many of them along public transportation routes.  In other words, even for people who aren't white suburban professionals, there's a lot of access.  Granted, it used to also be at several grocery stores, and I THINK the state banned that (not sure exactly -- something happened), and that should definitely come back.  The one place most people go in a given week is the nearby HEB etc.  A mobile voting center in the parking lot of most grocery stores should be a no-brainer.

I remember a few years ago, one was set up at the HEB at 620 and 2222.  For some reason, I was out that way and needed to stop in the store.  I did, saw the trailer in the parking lot, swung in and voted while I was there, and headed home.  It literally put voting on par with picking up a gallon of milk in terms of difficulty.  It should be that way everywhere, all the time.

Agreed, especially your last paragraph.  

That being said, there are a ton of people, that even if we make it that easy, they will not do it.  How do we get people engaged and interested in understanding the candidates, the issues, and then making an informed decision?

Seriously, people in this country know more about what is happening with the Kardashians than they do in the halls of power.

• Like 1