Voter Suppression

Pancho

When I am long gone and the children of my grandchildren learn about 'The American Troubles,' the story of Trump violating federal law to send officers ( insignia removed) to polling places will be accompanied by photos. Photos of citizens being shot with rubber bullets and sprayed with tear gas as they attempted to cast their ballots after waiting in line, during a pandemic that had killed over *300,000 citizens by Nov. 3 the day of the election. The citizens were protesting the doors to polling places being closed at 7 PM despite people waiting in lines for hours with no chance to get inside to vote.

*Estimating what the likely number of fatalities might be. I have no idea but I hope it is much much lower. I fear it will be higher.

Considered putting this in the pinned thread, but it doesn't quite fit there. Is there a thread for hacked voter machines discussion?

I've heard some of you describe your machines as giving you a paper receipt but our area has never had that. We used to have little dial machines but that got changed last year and now the machines are touch screen made by HART. Due to COVID, we used pencils given by the poll workers as touch pens during the runoff election which were sanitized after each use. If I recall, the debate at the county level was between those and EAS (which has the paper receipt I believe). The commissioners were going back and forth over which company was more secure and ended up with HART.

How much do you trust that your vote will be counted accurately in your precinct? How much do you trust that electronic votes will be counted accurately in the state of Texas? Across the country? In Michigan and other states?

Harris County OKs $17M to add polls, voting hours and drive-thru balloting for November election

“Harris County voters this November will have more time and more than a hundred additional places to cast ballots in the presidential election, including drive-through locations and one day of 24-hour voting, under an expansive plan approved by Commissioners Court Tuesday.”

“The clerk’s office plans to open a massive voting center at NRG Arena, and also will move its vote-counting headquarters there. Hollins said the Toyota Center also has volunteered its cavernous facility for voting, a well-known location he hoped would prove popular.”

Early voting hours will be extended to 10 pm some days as well

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/houston/article/Harris-County-OKs-17M-to-add-polls-voting-hours-15514804.php#photo-19831616

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Harris County OKs $17M to add polls, voting hours and drive-thru balloting for November election

“Harris County voters this November will have more time and more than a hundred additional places to cast ballots in the presidential election, including drive-through locations and one day of 24-hour voting, under an expansive plan approved by Commissioners Court Tuesday.”

“The clerk’s office plans to open a massive voting center at NRG Arena, and also will move its vote-counting headquarters there. Hollins said the Toyota Center also has volunteered its cavernous facility for voting, a well-known location he hoped would prove popular.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/houston/article/Harris-County-OKs-17M-to-add-polls-voting-hours-15514804.php#photo-19831616

Hot fucking damn!

For the second time, a judge has ruled Texans must be able to register to vote online when they renew their car registration

The National Voter Registration Act requires states to let residents complete their voter registration applications when they apply for or renew their driver’s licenses. But Texas officials have staunchly opposed any form of online registration.

The Texas Department of Public Safety follows federal law when residents visit a driver's license office in person. But Texans who try to register while using the state’s online portal are instead directed to a blank registration form they must fill out, print and send to their county registrar.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/08/28/texas-voter-registration-laws/

3 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

For the second time, a judge has ruled Texans must be able to register to vote online when they renew their car registration

The National Voter Registration Act requires states to let residents complete their voter registration applications when they apply for or renew their driver’s licenses. But Texas officials have staunchly opposed any form of online registration.

The Texas Department of Public Safety follows federal law when residents visit a driver's license office in person. But Texans who try to register while using the state’s online portal are instead directed to a blank registration form they must fill out, print and send to their county registrar.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/08/28/texas-voter-registration-laws/

It really is sad how hard our state fights to prevent people from voting.

On 8/26/2020 at 10:30 AM, StassneyHorn said:

just repeating what you posted because it’s great news. If anyone wants to help out, they are taking election worker applications

https://harrisvotes.com/ElectionWorkers

• Like 1

I thought Florida was the only place that it was safe to vote by mail, and then only for those voting absentee?   

My elderly mother (in TX)  got a robocall from cokehead son yesterday urging her to complete the VBM ballot the Trump campaign had graciously sent her, so she could vote from the safety of her own home.

At least it's encouraging they are confusing their own base.   She hasn't voted since 2016.  Early onset Alzheimer's.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

I thought Florida was the only place that it was safe to vote by mail, and then only for those voting absentee?   

My elderly mother (in TX)  got a robocall from cokehead son yesterday urging her to complete the VBM ballot the Trump campaign had graciously sent her, so she could vote from the safety of her own home.

At least it's encouraging they are confusing their own base.   She hasn't voted since 2016.  Early onset Alzheimer's.  

The trump family is so trashy. No integrity whatsoever.

It concerns me. If it works like a typical drive thru, I’ll order a Biden meal, and get home with a Trump-Putin-Falwell jr combo plate.

I assume that means the “combo plate” is advertised as a third pound of Kobi beef and fixings - but turns out to be a cold quarter pound soy patty with no fries or drink. Falwell will watch his wife work the window with a ‘Trumpberder’ T-shirt and no bra, but won’t come to the drive-thru when you complain and are told by her that all complaints and refund requests go to a Russian email address.

What do the Surly lawyers and those staying at a Holiday Inn have to say about this:

Harris County county clerk wants to send a mail ballot application to all 2.4m registered voters in Harris County. Local GOP party and activists say that is against the law because the law doesn't specifically give him that right. This seems like an ingenious method to toe the legal line. The way I view this is that the clerk is only creating a new distribution of the forms. I believe you can also call for a form now or download online. to be clear, actual mail ballots will only be sent to voters who return a signed application.

Perhaps this isn't the best use of tax funds but that definitely isn't against the law. I know that finding friendly judges isn't impossible but is a judge going to declare something illegal because a law doesn't address it. What's the word that conservatives like to call that?  Judicial activism?

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/houston/article/harris-county-gop-mail-ballot-application-texas-15527874.php

The other problem in which the GOP hates but can't do anything about is in regards to the disability declaration on the form. There is no guidance as to how the voter is supposed to interpret that word and the county clerk has zero authority to challenge or reject. You have to sign that the information is accurate but without a strict definition, you can argue being sleepy is a disability.

29 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Chief Justice of Texas SC Nathan Hecht basically reconfirming what he said in May to the editorial board of the Houston Chronicle. Anyone in Texas who thinks they are eligible to vote by mail, is allowed to.  It’s the law, and the state decided as much in May.

Hey Indicted AG Ken Paxton:

5311aa3c-06d4-4a61-a53f-0e5b9ce7239f_tex

I feel like the GOP is playing rope-a-dope with the whole mail in ballot controversy.  If anyone is going to find a way to "utilize" it to their benefit its going to be the GOP and there going to do it massively all while going back to the "look we were against this all along, we didn't want it".

With all the early voting available, just vote early.  I really don't want this thing carrying over into next year which is exactly what is going to happen when all the mail in ballot eligibility lawsuits start flying around.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I feel like the GOP is playing rope-a-dope with the whole mail in ballot controversy.  If anyone is going to find a way to "utilize" it to their benefit its going to be the GOP and there going to do it massively all while going back to the "look we were against this all along, we didn't want it".

With all the early voting available, just vote early.  I really don't want this thing carrying over into next year which is exactly what is going to happen when all the mail in ballot eligibility lawsuits start flying around.

100%.  Someone floated the idea a while back that they will "find" a bunch of "fraudulent" Dem ballots, but that R ballots will far exceed Dem ballots and all be "legit".

17 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Clearly you haven't paid attention to the polls released profiling who is voting by mail. It's Democrats like 4-1, and it's like a huge percentage of all democratic voters. Between this and USPS, the GOP has already won. They don't even have to worry about certifications and shit. The GOP politicized voting by mail, and the response is for Democrats to vote by mail because it's safe and there's a pandemic, and then the USPS sucks shit through a straw and votes won't be processed for weeks. 

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Clearly you haven't paid attention to the polls released profiling who is voting by mail. It's Democrats like 4-1, and it's like a huge percentage of all democratic voters. Between this and USPS, the GOP has already won. They don't even have to worry about certifications and shit. The GOP politicized voting by mail, and the response is for Democrats to vote by mail because it's safe and there's a pandemic, and then the USPS sucks shit through a straw and votes won't be processed for weeks. 

Even in a normal election, states that use universal vote by mail take awhile to process all the ballots. It took California like a month in 2018. Trump's USPS bullshit will make that worse and he'll use it to encourage his supporters to take up arms against liberals.

4 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

HEB CEO sends letter to TX Supreme Court in favor of Harris County sending out applications for absentee voting. No word on when the sliced tomatoes are getting stocked...

image.thumb.jpeg.5ca5711e93b481009b793f30af7c3de3.jpeg

Can't their employees just vote when HEB is not open?

On 8/28/2020 at 8:44 AM, HenryJames said:

When you think about it, it is completely asinine that Election Day is not a national holiday.  No good reason it shouldn’t be.

And also move it to Friday and make all public transportation free for that one day.  It only happens once every 4 years, I think we could swing it.

• Like 1