Voter Suppression

Pancho

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

To me, if we're going to require IDs to vote, you should just be able to walk up your precinct and vote without registering.   Why is the registration step necessary?   Or have the registration step take place simultaneously as voting.    

The more regulations you have, the more bureaucracy and contracts are generated.  Plus, it’s a great way to make it difficult for poor people to vote. 

2 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

How hard is it to let every single american vote and be able to screen out the illegal immigrants? Why is voter suppression even a thing?

The US government refuses to use the IRS and Social Security Administration to weed out illegals using Social Security #’s, something that would be easy to do.  

Hell, if they wanted people to vote, they could mail out paper ballots to everyone who is a valid voter.  

Or make it electronic.

The US government trusts online systems for filing your taxes, directly depositing federal paychecks and benefits, Social Security stuff, etc.   The State of Texas trusts online systems for things like renewing IDs, taxes, etc.

• Like 1

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

The US government refuses to use the IRS and Social Security Administration to weed out illegals using Social Security #’s, something that would be easy to do.  

That's because the federal government likes the billions in revenue the IRS collects from workers with no SSN.

7 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

How hard is it to let every single american vote and be able to screen out the illegal immigrants? Why is voter suppression even a thing?

Far easier than the current system which is difficult for the sake of being difficult, for reasons I could only "ask questions" about.

Confession - there is/was a poster here who asked if I could register him.  Abso-fucking lutely.  Another kill on my b-17 voting registration bomber.  He travels a lot and it's a pain to go to the tax office and who knows when you're going to come across a registrar.  He was going to message me through surlyhorns on a Friday when he had an opening in his schedule, I made a mental note.  I glanced at the top of the page in the morning, a couple of more times in the later morning and around lunch, and got sucked into a few meetings and finally when I pulled up Surly in tapatalk I saw that i had a couple of messages asking if I'd be able to come by, and then that he was giving up and having his wife take him in.  I'm still pissed at myself for somehow missing the messages, or the website for the new message notification not showing?  Regardless I said I'd help him out and then he couldn't reach me.

You know what the process is?  I have some special yellow sheets of paper.  They have complete instructions on them.  You fill it out, I hopefully answer whatever questions you might have, but there's not much ambiguity.  I sign it and put my little registrar number on it, and I have 5 days to drive it over to the tax office and just hand it off.  I'm not supposed to ask any questions beyond if you're able to vote, not supposed to hold your ID and look at it, there's no vetting, there's no value add that a VDR brings to the table.  It's just a thing that you have to spend an hour in a class to do because that's the sufficient level of difficulty.  The coordinating and then missed messages and ditching the plans and etc etc described above - it's just a manufactured pain in the ass to make it a little bit more difficult to vote.  There is absolutely no added benefit at all to the entire exercise.  There cannot possibly be.  Even just the back end data entry that I guess they pay someone $17/hr to do at the tax office.  What is the point of this.

Maddow ripping Kemp a new asshole tonight.  I really hope Abrams wins.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Satchel said:

What is taking place in Georgia and Waller County would not have been permitted in a preclearence environment. Even so, a decent and competent AG could provide legal guidance to states that are intent on suppressing minority voting:

The fat end is, obviously, Shelby County v. Holder. There, the allegedly incrementalist, allegedly institutionalist Roberts gutted Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act, ruling that Southern states no longer needed to get preclearance before changing their voting districts to disenfranchise minority voters. The “institutionalist,” “incrementalist” ruling overturned 40 years of settled law, and overlooked the fact that Congress actively voted for the preclearance plan as recently as 2006.

For Roberts, none of this mattered. He decided, by fiat, that racism was not as big of a problem in the South as it used to be.

Those gotdam liberal activist judges. /s

8 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Ridiculous. I wonder how much money could go to feeding and clothing the homeless that would otherwise be spent on registering people to vote. Where are my fiscal conservatives at? This seems like inefficient government waste to me

It's actually super efficient at preventing people from registering to vote.

• Like 3

Describe what you mean by .gov?  Those are the yellow registration forms that registrars carry around and have you fill out for them to turn in at the tax office.  What you are looking at is stacks of those forms in the tax office at 5501 Airport Blvd.  You may have sat in some of those chairs or the chairs to the right of your view in the second image if you've ever had to pull a number and wait with the unwashed masses to file some paperwork or have some other bureaucratic interaction with the government in Travis County.

4 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Looks like Georgia is ground zero for voter suppression shenanigans.

One small silver lining is how hyper focused attention is on this right now, it's usually something that doesn't get near enough detection. Also if you follow Michael McDonald on twitter he has stated that he has talked to lawyers who are getting involved with these rejections. It may be that Gwinnett is actually rejecting ballots for reasons that aren't actually law (you don't provide your birth year on the ballot envelope for whatever reason and Gwinnett may be requiring that).

I get voter registration in the past as a means to know how many physical ballots to print and have ready. It's a cost savings measure.

But with digital voting machines, it seems completely unnecessary now.

And I know the conspiracy nuts would never go for it, but the digital voting machine could just scan your thumb print, and then when the votes are tallied up, it can just eliminate any duplicate thumb prints of people trying to vote more than once.

Or have a thumb print scan at the desk when you pick up the little card you have to stick in the machine, if it says you've already voted, you don't get the card.

Edited by Hawndoh

21 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

One small silver lining is how hyper focused attention is on this right now, it's usually something that doesn't get near enough detection. Also if you follow Michael McDonald on twitter he has stated that he has talked to lawyers who are getting involved with these rejections. It may be that Gwinnett is actually rejecting ballots for reasons that aren't actually law (you don't provide your birth year on the ballot envelope for whatever reason and Gwinnett may be requiring that).

Public officials should literally be imprisoned for this.

• Like 5

Is he taking it to the streets?
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, GSU&UT said:

It’s simple really

repubs know that their policies aren’t popular so they try to manipulate the voting pool. They’re trying to make the people who actually do show up to the polls as old, white, and nasty looking as possible. If that continues to happen, they will keep on winning. 

12 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Describe what you mean by .gov?  Those are the yellow registration forms that registrars carry around and have you fill out for them to turn in at the tax office.  What you are looking at is stacks of those forms in the tax office at 5501 Airport Blvd.  You may have sat in some of those chairs or the chairs to the right of your view in the second image if you've ever had to pull a number and wait with the unwashed masses to file some paperwork or have some other bureaucratic interaction with the government in Travis County.

so, they are in the possesion of the .gov.  so, it's not really preventing people from registering.  the method almost certainly increases the error rate, but that's not the same thing, in my book.

I thought you were talking about a website or something. That post was a continuation from previously when I was saying it’s a dumb fucking system that is kept needlessly inefficient (unless making it difficult is the need). It’s a shit ton of make work on a bunch of different levels to do a worse job at a thing that can and in other places is easy and fairly bulletproof.

Destroying evidence after suit is filed, committing blatant spoliation of evidence.

https://apnews.com/877ee1015f1c43f1965f63538b035d3f

This is fine.

For the record, we live in a banana republic now. The ruling party has demonstrated that it is willing to do anything and everything to change the outcome of elections. If you believe that we even have a chance at having fair elections, you haven’t been paying attention. The GOP has happily sacrificed and destroyed the foundation of a functioning Republic just to hold on to power.

Like half the stories in this thread are from Georgia right now. There's been about a dozen lawsuits filed recently over the various suppression tactics going on (yes it is suppression when these things when there's a wide difference in who is affected).

Like half the stories in this thread are from Georgia right now. There's been about a dozen lawsuits filed recently over the various suppression tactics going on (yes it is suppression when these things when there's a wide difference in who is affected).

And Kemp will win. He’s going to make sure if it. He’s stealing the election, right in broad daylight and saying. “Fuck you!” to democracy.

When he wins, Georgia will burn. And it should.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And Kemp will win. He’s going to make sure if it. He’s stealing the election, right in broad daylight and saying. “Fuck you!” to democracy.

This time, everything BUT Atlanta should.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My only hope is that a ton more people, me and my wife included, voted by absentee ballot this year so that there is a paper trail. Abrams got a LOT of black voters to do this too. All of our voting data has demographics reported so I'm hoping that any big lawsuits that could come out charging blatant mishandling of the election by Kemp could use that to show what the actual likelihood is he would have won based on polling and known demographic party allegiances.

14 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

This time, everything BUT Atlanta should.

There are very liberal parts in Augusta, Macon, Savannah etc. I posted a map of the black belt portion that runs through Georgia. It's a lot of rural areas, but more importantly it's the fucking rich white suburbanites that give absolutely no fucks about anyone but themselves.

There are very liberal parts in Augusta, Macon, Savannah etc. I posted a map of the black belt portion that runs through Georgia. It's a lot of rural areas, but more importantly it's the fucking rich white suburbanites that give absolutely no fucks about anyone but themselves.

When rule of law is removed, and replaced with lawless power, what ALWAYS follows?

Georgia may end up being the spark that lights the fire, if only because the election theft is so blatant and audacious. The GOP is fucking the people raw, and saying “and what the fuck are you gonna do about it?”

8 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Fine, fine, those places can remain unburnt as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

When rule of law is removed, and replaced with lawless power, what ALWAYS follows?

Georgia may end up being the spark that lights the fire, if only because the election theft is so blatant and audacious. The GOP is fucking the people raw, and saying “and what the fuck are you gonna do about it?”

Heads must fall