Voter Suppression

Pancho

2 hours ago, GSU&UT said:

My only hope is that a ton more people, me and my wife included, voted by absentee ballot this year so that there is a paper trail. Abrams got a LOT of black voters to do this too. All of our voting data has demographics reported so I'm hoping that any big lawsuits that could come out charging blatant mishandling of the election by Kemp could use that to show what the actual likelihood is he would have won based on polling and known demographic party allegiances.

As if those lawsuits have any chance of success with a federal Supreme Court that's gutting the Voting Rights Act and upholding voter suppression in other places, such as ND, this cycle.  And a Georgia Supreme Court consisting of 9 justices, 7 of whom were appointed by Republican governors, with the most recent dem appointment in 1992.

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

When rule of law is removed, and replaced with lawless power, what ALWAYS follows?

Georgia may end up being the spark that lights the fire, if only because the election theft is so blatant and audacious. The GOP is fucking the people raw, and saying “and what the fuck are you gonna do about it?”

It’s kind of stunning how out of touch the GOP is.  They have not had to suffer any major repercussions/riots as of late.  Nothing that threatens their property or lifestyle.  

It’s  like they were walking along and came across a hole in the ground, and saw some yellow jackets flying in and out, and decided they’d get a shovel and fuck with it, for no reason other than they can.  

I know there are plenty of conspiracy theories out there about why the GOP is doing all of this stuff in 2018.   Whatever it is, they are poking a hornets nest and don’t seem to care that it can and will cost them a lot down the line.  This kind of stuff is what’s going to get a lot more youths and minorities out to vote.  

It’s kind of stunning how out of touch the GOP is.  They have not had to suffer any major repercussions/riots as of late.  Nothing that threatens their property or lifestyle.  
It’s  like they were walking along and came across a hole in the ground, and saw some yellow jackets flying in and out, and decided they’d get a shovel and fuck with it, for no reason other than they can.  
I know there are plenty of conspiracy theories out there about why the GOP is doing all of this stuff in 2018.   Whatever it is, they are poking a hornets nest and don’t seem to care that it can and will cost them a lot down the line.  This kind of stuff is what’s going to get a lot more youths and minorities out to vote.  

It’s going to get youth and minorities blocked from voting and/or having their votes wiped from machines. That’s the result.

That’s how you avoid consequences - simply change the rules.

The GOP isn’t out of touch. It’s a run-of-the-mill authoritarian movement, running tried and true plays. Which work. History has already written this story before. We’re just changing the name of the country.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

It’s pretty simple, self interest.  

The GOP doesn’t have an ideology and isn’t a collective group bonded together by shared principles or values.  Therefore they have no long term strategy except maintain and preserve power.

They’re mercenaries hired by whoever will pay the most and once they’re done, they will retire to their little house on Nantucket Island watching the sunset and playing with the grandkids.

They

dont 

give 

a

fuck.

• Like 3

It’s pretty simple, self interest.  
The GOP doesn’t have an ideology and isn’t a collective group bonded together by shared principles or values.  Therefore they have no long term strategy except maintain and preserve power.
They’re mercenaries hired by whoever will pay the most and once they’re done, they will retire to their little house on Nantucket Island watching the sunset and playing with the grandkids.
They
dont 
give 
a
fuck.

Bullseye.

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It’s going to get youth and minorities blocked from voting and/or having their votes wiped from machines. That’s the result.

That’s how you avoid consequences - simply change the rules.

The GOP isn’t out of touch. It’s a run-of-the-mill authoritarian movement, running tried and true plays. Which work. History has already written this story before. We’re just changing the name of the country.

This isn’t the 1950s and early 60s where this stuff happens out of sight.   

They are foolishly doing it openly.  Authoritarian?  Yes, but they are laying the ground work for a whole lot of shit that’s going to make the moderates get off the fence, and not on the GOP’s side of the fence.   

They cannot do this everywhere.  

And I get that they are desperate, and are therefore taking desperate measures, but the chickens do come home to roost.  

They are foolishly doing it openly.  Authoritarian?  Yes, but they are laying the ground work for a whole lot of shit that’s going to make the moderates get off the fence, and not on the GOP’s side of the fence.   
And I get that they are desperate, and are therefore taking desperate measures, but the chickens do come home to roost.  

Who’s gonna stop em? The SCOTUS?

266fa4df53aa8d0836e7b20d82aac54b.jpg

The senate?

be33c030b7ed54d78811b96099219f48.jpg

When the checks and balances are compromised, it’s game over.

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They don’t care. 

Seriously, we could have an Arab Spring event and it wouldn’t change a damn thing with these people.  They’re still going to get theirs and ride off into the sunset.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

6 hours ago, GSU&UT said:

There are very liberal parts in Augusta, Macon, Savannah etc. I posted a map of the black belt portion that runs through Georgia. It's a lot of rural areas, but more importantly it's the fucking rich white suburbanites that give absolutely no fucks about anyone but themselves.

My brother in Alpharetta resembles this comment.  

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

They don’t care. 

Seriously, we could have an Arab Spring event and it wouldn’t change a damn thing with these people.  They’re still going to get theirs and ride off into the sunset.

I am afraid it will take more of a French revolution approach to change Republican minds.

4 minutes ago, RayDog said:

I am afraid it will take more of a French revolution approach to change Republican minds.

Even if that was necessary, which it isn’t (yet), I’m afraid we’re far too docile and subjugated.  

However, to be successful, it really only takes about 4 to 5% of the population to be genuinely committed to overthrowing the government via mass sustained protest.

According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, every single one of these 53,000 pending registration people can vote on election day with a valid photo ID.  A photo ID has been required to vote in Georgia for a while now and would have been required regardless of the voter registration issue.  

Why exactly are you guys using this as an example of republicans ending the world?  You guys truly are nuts.

10 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, every single one of these 53,000 pending registration people can vote on election day with a valid photo ID.  A photo ID has been required to vote in Georgia for a while now and would have been required regardless of the voter registration issue.  

Why exactly are you guys using this as an example of republicans ending the world?  You guys truly are nuts.

Asking questions again, I see.

2 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Because they’re fucking with every step of the process for SOME people.

Totally normal. Just show your photo ID! Quit bitching!

Oh wait....

Well if KatCalvinLA says it, it must be true.  You really think Georgia is denying voters with valid ID to vote?  I will predict that no one actually materializes that was denied the ability to vote with valid ID.

You guys crack me up.  I know you love to believe what you read in the media.  And I know it makes you really mad when someone points out that this horrible criminal racist tragedy isnt actually any tragedy at all.  Every one of the 53,000 can vote just like they would have if they were properly registered.  They can resolve their registration issues when they vote too.  

9 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

Well if KatCalvinLA says it, it must be true.  You really think Georgia is denying voters with valid ID to vote?  I will predict that no one actually materializes that was denied the ability to vote with valid ID.

You guys crack me up.  I know you love to believe what you read in the media.  And I know it makes you really mad when someone points out that this horrible criminal racist tragedy isnt actually any tragedy at all.  Every one of the 53,000 can vote just like they would have if they were properly registered.  They can resolve their registration issues when they vote too.  

Vote yes, only to have their ballot thrown in the trash.

46 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

The goal is to suppress turnout dipshit, they also have a unnecessary burden of proof. If the election officials still think they aren't correctly registered then at best they can cast a provisional ballot. Do you even fucking know the history of the south with respect to the civil rights movement?

Please, continue to tell me more about where I live. We watched the SoS and elections center wipe voting machines despite being part of a subpoena.

Edited by GSU&UT
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

My brother in Alpharetta resembles this comment.  

I'm making sweeping generalizations, Atlanta (like Austin) has a ton of people moving from more liberal states and is pushing the state towards purple. However you don't need to go far out of town to see lots of rebel flags and other reminders of this state's ugly past. That's something I remember a lot in rural Texas, even if there were a lot of ignorant people you didn't see as much fetishization of the antebellum south.

The goal is to suppress turnout dipshit, they also have a unnecessary burden of proof. If the election officials still think they aren't correctly registered then at best they can cast a provisional ballot. Do you even fucking know the history of the south with respect to the civil rights movement?
Please, continue to tell me more about where I live. We watched the SoS and elections center wipe voting machines despite being part of a subpoena.

Like, with a cloth?

Yes. It was a joke.

Unluckily for those fuckheads it is extremely difficult to erase data to the point that a forensic data team can’t recover it. Unless you shred the drives.

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The government's excuses in that article make zero fucking sense.  And yet the officials tell those bs excuses, because they know 60% of the population will buy it, and even if they don't there's no one in power who will stop them.

I don’t think there’s enough in that article to determine what happened. I think groups who want to transport seniors to the polls are admirable and should be commended, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if it’s against the rules for a random bus to show up and drive away with a bunch of seniors. Imagine how that would be perceived if they were children instead.

I would like to see some follow up where this group calls the center ahead of time to arrange for a pick up and see the response they get.

22 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I don’t think there’s enough in that article to determine what happened. I think groups who want to transport seniors to the polls are admirable and should be commended, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if it’s against the rules for a random bus to show up and drive away with a bunch of seniors. Imagine how that would be perceived if they were children instead.

I would like to see some follow up where this group calls the center ahead of time to arrange for a pick up and see the response they get.

Ok.  Say there is such a rule about a random bus, and there may well be. Once you pull over the bus and find out that it's a group of seniors going to vote, there is no reason to take them off the bus and stop them from voting that day. Besides that, they are adults, who are competent to vote.  They are not children.  They are adults.  Who are eligible to vote and for whom the government has no right to stop them from traveling to a polling place.  The government can't just randomly make someone get off a mode of transportation.

Just now, lemonlime said:

Ok.  Say there is such a rule about a random bus, and there may well be. Once you pull over the bus and find out that it's a group of seniors going to vote, there is no reason to take them off the bus and stop them from voting that day. Besides that, they are adults, who are competent to vote.  They are not children.  They are adults.  Who are eligible to vote and for whom the government has no right to stop them from traveling to a polling place.  The government can't just randomly make someone get off a mode of transportation.

You can't ride that bus to vote, take this van.

Oh but it's too close to lunch time, forget it, you can't go today.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

For the record, I think that getting the seniors off the bus was a stupid thing to do.  The optics of it make the county commissioner seem petty.

However, I do not make the laws in Georgia.  The law says that you can not have political events like this and take people to vote.  Maybe it is a stupid law.  Maybe republicans used to round up seniors to vote and the dems put in a law against it.  I have no idea, I just know the law exists.

And if anyone is being honest, it was a political event.  This paraphrased line from the article is especially funny- "The event was organized by Diane Evans who said she was acting in her personal capacity as a pastor and not as her position of Democratic Party Chairwoman".   If you had the exact same circumstances but the old folks home was full of white people and the event was organized by the Republican Party Chairman everyone arguing this now would be arguing the other side of the issue.

From a practical scenario, this is a nothing and really everyone involved knows it.  The event was to create awareness about voting.  I have zero issue with it and think it is part of our system.  It is a good thing.  The event, though, did not intend to take anyone to vote.  It did not get permission from the facility to take anyone to vote.  The request to take the bus was, supposedly, spontaneous.  Imagine if you ran a facility for seniors and a group came in, with your permission, to get people excited about voting and next thing you know people are boarding a bus to leave the facility.  The liability is huge.

Further, the facility routinely takes people to vote.  The part about not taking them due to lunch time is funny in a seniors sort of way but completely irrelevant.  The facility agreed to take anyone that wanted to vote that same day after lunch or any day they wanted.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Because they’re fucking with every step of the process for SOME people.

Totally normal. Just show your photo ID! Quit bitching!

Oh wait....

Very mixed feelings about this.  One the one hand, voter suppression is obviously wrong.   On the other hand, disenfranchising 75yr olds.....maybe not a bad thing???

Black Voters Matter is a nonpartisan group encouraging African-Americans to vote in the election, but the county government considered the event political because Jefferson County Democratic Party Chairwoman Diane Evans helped organize it, County Administrator Adam Brett said in a statement.

“Jefferson County administration felt uncomfortable with allowing senior center patrons to leave the facility in a bus with an unknown third party,” Brett said. “No seniors at the Jefferson County senior center were denied their right to vote.”

ThinkProgress, a progressive news website, first reported the incident Monday.

Black Voters Matter had received permission in advance for the event at the senior center, Brown said. The event was originally intended to encourage seniors to vote, and when some of the seniors asked whether they could ride the bus to an early-voting location, Black Voters Matter agreed to take them.

But someone apparently saw the bus, painted with the words “The South is Rising Tour,” and called county government offices, Brown said. That led to the phone call from the county clerk to the senior center. When they were asked, the senior citizens agreed to leave the bus.

“It was discouraging that they weren’t able to vote,” said Evans, who was on the bus. “When they’re suppressing votes, they’re going to come up with any kind of excuse about what your problem is.”

so, the group had permission to conduct an event, but no plans had previously been made to bus the seniors to the polling station.

i don't think that's voter suppression, that's the senior center trying to limit their liability. i'm sure there's a raft of release forms to sign to take people off site in a third party bus. this is NOT to say that some racist shitbag didn't call the county government offices, but i'd be willing that someone is more likely to be someone at the senior center looking for air cover for getting the folks off the bus.

as long as they are allowed to vote today, tomorrow, or the next day, whenever, then i say no foul. 

• Like 1

Republicans proudly support a party that actively suppresses Americans' rights to vote, conveniently look the other way (the lack of Rs on this thread being an example), win the election, then decry the "leftist angry mob" when the shit deservedly hits the fan. 

There is no coming back from this. Rs have started a war in this country.  When they are out of power, there will be no "peace agreement" or "hey, lets work together again" discussions. These traitors will just have to be shouted down until they die off. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

so, the group had permission to conduct an event, but no plans had previously been made to bus the seniors to the polling station.

i don't think that's voter suppression, that's the senior center trying to limit their liability. i'm sure there's a raft of release forms to sign to take people off site in a third party bus. this is NOT to say that some racist shitbag didn't call the county government offices, but i'd be willing that someone is more likely to be someone at the senior center looking for air cover for getting the folks off the bus.

as long as they are allowed to vote today, tomorrow, or the next day, whenever, then i say no foul. 

I'm not understanding your point.  This was a senior center with competent adults getting on a bus, not a nursing home with dementia residents.  There could be permit problems with using senior center property as a pick up point or letting the senior center advertise the event.  But once they are on the bus there's no grounds to pull people off the bus.  

Republicans proudly support a party that actively suppresses Americans' rights to vote, conveniently look the other way (the lack of Rs on this thread being an example), win the election, then decry the "leftist angry mob" when the shit deservedly hits the fan. 
There is no coming back from this. Rs have started a war in this country.  When they are out of power, there will be no "peace agreement" or "hey, lets work together again" discussions. These traitors will just have to be shouted down until they die off. 

This guy gets it.

The ruling party does NOT want millions of Americans to be able to exercise their fundamental right, just so that political party can hold onto power.

That is about the most un-American thing I’ve ever seen. There’s no reconciling with that. There’s no peace with that. It’s a poison being forced into our body politic, and we need to puke it out in order to have any chance of survival.

2 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

I'm not understanding your point.  This was a senior center with competent adults getting on a bus, not a nursing home with dementia residents.  There could be permit problems with using senior center property as a pick up point or letting the senior center advertise the event.  But once they are on the bus there's no grounds to pull people off the bus.  

the reason given was that they viewed the transport to the polls as political activity, which is against their county rules for a public senior center. 

i understand that with all the shenanigans going on in georgia, this looks bad, but it looks more like bureaucratic uncertainty than an active effort to suppress. more of a "are they allowed to do that? i dunno, i don't think so, let's make sure," and indecision paralysis took over and the status quo (the seniors staying at he center, and no one really getting in trouble) was maintained.

as long as these folks get to the polls in the coming days, i don't really see a problem. a little more planning might have gotten the job done. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

If you had the exact same circumstances but the old folks home was full of white people and the event was organized by the Republican Party Chairman everyone arguing this now would be arguing the other side of the issue.

A classic case of, "I have no values, therefore no one else does, either."

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

the reason given was that they viewed the transport to the polls as political activity, which is against their county rules for a public senior center. 

i understand that with all the shenanigans going on in georgia, this looks bad, but it looks more like bureaucratic uncertainty than an active effort to suppress. more of a "are they allowed to do that? i dunno, i don't think so, let's make sure," and indecision paralysis took over and the status quo (the seniors staying at he center, and no one really getting in trouble) was maintained.

as long as these folks get to the polls in the coming days, i don't really see a problem. a little more planning might have gotten the job done. 

First, going to the polls is not "political activity."  Civic engagement is not political.  They weren't taking the citizens to campaign.  They were taking them to the polls.

Second, they are adults who have a freedom of assembly and to travel.  If I rented a bus and took it to the college two miles from my house to pick up students to take to the polling place, the police couldn't just board the bus and pull students off.  Maybe the college police could ticket the bus driver for picking up students without a permit or order me to move the bus off university property.  Hell, I could drive to the college myself and pick up students in my car and drive them to the polling place.   But the government has no right to stop grown ass adults from getting on a bus and engaging in a perfectly legal activity and remove them from that transport.

Edited by lemonlime
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, lemonlime said:

First, going to the polls is not "political activity."  Civic engagement is not political.  They weren't taking the citizens to campaign.  They were taking them to the polls.

Second, they are adults who have a freedom of assembly and to travel.  If I rented a bus and took it to the college two miles from my house to pick up students to take to the polling place, the police couldn't just board the bus and pull students off.  Maybe the college police could ticket the bus driver for picking up students without a permit or order me to move the bus off university property.  Hell, I could drive to the college myself and pick up students in my car and drive them to the polling place.   But the police have no right to stop grown ass adults from getting on a bus and engaging in a perfectly legal activity and remove them from that transport.

i just don't view this one as nefariously as many of the other stories coming out of georgia. it just looks like people unnecessarily covering their asses rather than active suppression/intimidation. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

we can disagree on that. that's fine. doesn't look like we are going to agree on this one.

as long as these folks get to the polls.

4 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Second, they are adults who have a freedom of assembly and to travel.  If I rented a bus and took it to the college two miles from my house to pick up students to take to the polling place, the police couldn't just board the bus and pull students off.  Maybe the college police could ticket the bus driver for picking up students without a permit or order me to move the bus off university property.  Hell, I could drive to the college myself and pick up students in my car and drive them to the polling place.   But the government has no right to stop grown ass adults from getting on a bus and engaging in a perfectly legal activity and remove them from that transport.

*Waits for first red state to declare that Uber/Lyft cannot pick people (read: minorities and youth voters) up and take them to the polling locations for free*

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

*Waits for first red state to declare that Uber/Lyft cannot pick people (read: minorities and youth voters) up and take them to the polling locations for free*

Wait til you see how many African Americans are given double shifts by their bosses on election day.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Exactly.  And to Hayden's point, this may have just been the result of idiot bureaucrats, who aren't getting (at least my) benefit of the doubt due to the widespread voter suppression efforts going on in Georgia right now.  Regardless of motives, however, it was a constitutional violation.  And it's important that this get publicized and heard, so that the next step isn't say barring Uber/Lyft from picking up people to go vote. Or other GOTV efforts, where people are picking up voters who don't have cars, seniors, college students, etc. to take them to the polls.  Regardless of some bureaucrats motivation, and whether the voters will still be able to vote, there should be zero tolerance for this happening elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Conservatives and superior intellect centrists: Well if you want to keep your civil right, you need to show me that you're willing to make an effort. Also we're not going to acknowledge that polling places have been closed in minority neighborhoods.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i just don't view this one as nefariously as many of the other stories coming out of georgia. it just looks like people unnecessarily covering their asses rather than active suppression/intimidation.

Just following orders!

If we cannot protect the voting rights of citizens then we are not a democracy. It's that simple.

Voting is the single most important and necessary right that exists. The government should always err on the side of promoting voting and any government action that curbs an individual citizen's right to vote had better be triple-checked  and cleared ahead of time by a public official who is under penalty of law for restricting voting access. Whoever is responsible for that call should be fired at the very least and, my preference, imprisoned.

We are "aww gee shucks"ing our way into fascism and giving white supremacist governments the benefit of the doubt for no reason.

• Like 2

I looked at this again and have a little different take.  I thought that the senior center was actually a resident/overnight type facility, but it appears that it is just a senior activity center.  As a result, I do not think the facility had any liability issues wit regards to people leaving the facility.

I still say that the event was violating Georgia law as written though.  The center is a govt run facility.  As a result, it is illegal to have "political" events there and, more importantly, it is illegal to have partisan political parties  provide rides to people to vote.  It is comical that an event coordinated by the Georgia Chair for the Democratic Party could be tried to be passed of as non partisan.

So, I would say, this was probably an over reaction by the facility administrator.  

But it was not an act of voter suppression.  No one at the center showed up that day thinking they were going to get bussed to vote.  That was never part of the event.  The facility takes people to vote routinely and agreed to take people that same day after lunch and on almost any day they wanted going forward.

I am not going to go back through the entire thread, but the 2 examples I have seen so far (this one and the 53,000 voter registration issue) are huge stretches to claim as voter suppression.  The fact that some of you are making such over the top hyperbolic claims about them are making you all look like fools. 

Also, here is the headline from an article on this issue-

" Roughly 40 black seniors in Georgia were told to get off a bus organized to take them to cast their votes."

Perfect example of what I have been railing against the media for.  The headline is just plain false and it suggests something completely different from reality.  By everyone involved admission, there was never any intent for the bus to take people to vote.  No one showed up that day thinking they were getting a ride to vote on that bus.

This guy gets it.

The ruling party does NOT want millions of Americans to be able to exercise their fundamental right, just so that political party can hold onto power.

That is about the most un-American thing I’ve ever seen. There’s no reconciling with that. There’s no peace with that. It’s a poison being forced into our body politic, and we need to puke it out in order to have any chance of survival.

Counterpoint: on the social media battleground du jour (my lovely home state), and under a Republican governor and SOS, voter registrations are at a record high. 250,000 more than two years ago. That’s a fact.

I don’t think it’s smart to let a sitting SOS run for governor because of the optics and potential for corruption, and I think Brian Kemp is a dumbass. Those are opinions.