Texas @ Beach Aggy

zlavydra

2 minutes ago, txhorns said:

David Pierce is a shitty baseball coach

He's done a poor job in the 2nd half of this season for sure.  But the veteran player leadership on this Team IS A JOKE!!

Texas Players don't seem to give a shit when they lose.... it's f'n embarrassing!!

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

He's done a poor job in the 2nd half of this season for sure.  But the veteran player leadership on this Team IS A JOKE!!

Texas Players don't seem to give a shit when they lose.... it's f'n embarrassing!!

Whatever it is, the dugout is a depressing sight late in games recently. 

4 hours ago, dcar00 said:

David Pierce is not the answer.  kody clemens is the only thing standing between him and a shaka like situation.  in typical Texas fashion we will fuck around with this disaster for a couple of more years.

I'm not convinced Pierce is the answer, but this is such a gross oversimplification.  Kody had a great season at the plate, but pitching reclamation projects like Kingham and Shart and Parker Joe had as much or more to do with it than Kody.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dcar00 said:

David Pierce is not the answer.  kody clemens is the only thing standing between him and a shaka like situation.  in typical Texas fashion we will fuck around with this disaster for a couple of more years.

I made that assessment several weeks ago and took a boatload of shit, plus an invitation “to start a ‘Fire Pierce’ thread” if that’s what I meant. 

It wasn’t at that time. Someone else did, ultimately, and I cannot disagree with it being worthy of consideration.

Name one thing they do even marginally well ...

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn

13 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Name one thing they do even marginally well ...

Well, until the latest skid they used to show heart by coming back when down in the late innings.  But that's not really a baseball skill, it's more of a mindset.  I think that has been crushed out of them with all the terrible baseball lately.  As far as what they do well directly involving a baseball, there are a number of hitters who know how to work a count and make a pitcher work.  Reynolds, Todd, Zubia (sometimes), Kennedy, Shaw are all pretty good at working a count when they want to and the ump's zone is not huge.  This is actually the strength of the offense.  But it sure wasn't on display very much last night.

8 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Well, until the latest skid they used to show heart by coming back when down in the late innings.  But that's not really a baseball skill, it's more of a mindset.  I think that has been crushed out of them with all the terrible baseball lately.  As far as what they do well directly involving a baseball, there are a number of hitters who know how to work a count and make a pitcher work.  Reynolds, Todd, Zubia (sometimes), Kennedy, Shaw are all pretty good at working a count when they want to and the ump's zone is not huge.  This is actually the strength of the offense.  But it sure wasn't on display very much last night.

I wonder if not working the count resulted from a (misplaced) expectation that they were going to tee off on whoever sea aggy threw up there?

12 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

I just can’t even begin to understand wtf is going on with this team

-Can’t bunt or move people over when needed

-hitters constantly behind in the count

-pitchers constantly behind in the count

-not very good defense (especially at catcher & LF)

-no Hamilton & DJ....2 positions we really couldn’t afford to lose someone. 

6 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Don't forget First Base, which might include the rest of the infield.  Shaw can't sky for errant infield throws, Zubia is inept, and the infield is a bit imprecise with throws.  That's been a bigger impact than Magellan Kennedy in left.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

OK .. you named the 5 hitters we should expect to do exactly what you described ... work the count, get a pitch ... but, they seldom do anything with it.

I do agree with your observation, but it’s kinda like Easter bunny chocolate. Hollow when you get to the heart of the offense. 

One thing I was heartened to see in the final game of the WVU series. Pierce played a little small ball and it produced some runs ... exactly what one might like to see with a weak hitting team.  Maximize the number of runners in scoring position and hope someone puts the ball in play. 

On 4/30/2019 at 9:19 PM, TwiceHorn said:

SWTSU is actually pretty decent this year.

On 5/1/2019 at 9:29 AM, Enfield said:

Stop it.

Well, they have been padding their schedule this year by wins over UTSA (twice), Incarnate Word, aggy @ Blue Ball Park, and of course, UT.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2019 at 11:34 AM, EZ$ said:

You make it sound as if we have room for improvement.