Full Metal Jacket

8 hours ago, South Austin said:

My dad was an infantry officer who served in Vietnam and said Full Metal Jacket is the most realistic Vietnam movie he’s seen.

I was in the Army, but the drill and ceremony scenes during basic training were dead on. We fucking marched for hours and did endless rifle drills in the hot ass sun. 

The drill sergeants couldn't hit us with their fist or open hand during my time, but there was a lot of shoving and personal space invasion. I also got smacked on the kevlar with a range paddle for not saying "no brass, no ammo" loud enough a couple of times. Getting socked in the gut or slapped across the face like Gunnery Sgt Hartman did to his recruits would've taken its toll. 

21 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Oh, that's right, Private Pyle... don't make any fucking effort to get to the top of the fucking obstacle!  If God wanted you up there I am sure he would have miracled your ass up there by now, Private Pyle.

That inspired me to watch his training on youtube.  Just discovered a dialogue error.   

At the very beginning.  "10 fucking seconds.   It should take you no less than 10 seconds to negotiate this obstacle."  And Hartman is tremendous in the role.  His maintained level of intensity is amazing.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Oh, that's right, Private Pyle... don't make any fucking effort to get to the top of the fucking obstacle!  If God wanted you up there I am sure he would have miracled your ass up there by now, Private Pyle.

I'll bet if there was some pussy up there on top of that obstacle, you could get up there

I remember sneaking in to see this at the theater, I was about 12 at the time. The poetic flow of cursing had me laughing uncontrollably. I had never heard most of those phrases and didn't understand half of them but I did laugh nonstop.

The next day I was calling everyone a twinkle toed communist cock sucker.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

I remember sneaking in to see this at the theater, I was about 12 at the time. The poetic flow of cursing had me laughing uncontrollably. I had never heard most of those phrases and didn't understand half of them but I did laugh nonstop.

The next day I was calling everyone a twinkle toed communist cock sucker.

Yeah, at the time, that scene was more or less the equivalent of the first 30 minutes of Saving Private Ryan, with absurd profanity taking the place of absurd violence.  When it was over, there was a similar audible sigh in the theater.

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Most times, I watch up through the “me so horny” scene then change channel. 

That's what makes FMJ standout as one of the better war films vs some made before and since then.   Most war films follow a script of a solider or group soldiers in battle and they might show flashbacks of boot camp or something else in their pre military lives throughout the movie.  With FMJ, they go from  "Gomer Pyle" blowing his brains out to Vietnam and then slowly bring on the combat stuff.   

I was just also rewatching this for the umpteenth time the other night and had a random memory:  they released this song as a single and pop radio stations would play it pretty regularly for a period of time.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it charted. 

I have watched the first half of the movie probably about 50% more than the last half.  Great flick, though.

Same here. The second half of the movie is good, but I usually stop watching after they leave basic.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Gunny was a little to proud of Whitman and Oswald being Marines and their shooting prowess.

That’s affirmative. Charles Whitman killed 12 people from a 28 floor observation tower from distances up to 400 yards.

(Oswald) was 250 feet away and shooting at a moving target. He got off 3 rounds in 6 seconds with an old Italian bolt action rifle and scored 2 hits, including a head shot! 

I got to spend a year at military school as a freshman in high school.  MMA in Harlingen.  Early 90s.  I thought the more senior cadets were some of the funniest bastards on the planet.  Then I saw FMJ and Heartbreak Ridge later.  And realized damn near every funny thing they said was straight from those two movies.

Cajun and I would listen to the soundtrack while we drove from Austin to his ranch in Bigfoot. At night. After drinking all night in Austin. With our ARs and AKs long before everybody had them. It’s a miracle we survived. It’s a miracle we survived lots of shit. 

• Like 1

Watched FMJ before going to MCRD San Diego in June of 89; and was a little apprehensive.  Gunny Hartman was a bad motherfucker.

Imagine my surprise when we were introduced to our Drill Instructors.  Plural.   4 of those motherfuckers.

They were like gods to us...LOL.  Senior Drill Instructor was one of the baddest mofos I have ever known.  He was always the good cop, but you knew the nasty shit was at at his disposal if needed...

Last week of bootcamp, we watched FMJ in 'the classroom'  for those who know what that is.  Wasn't quite as scary after you had just lived it.

Oh, in our era, Drill Instructors could not cuss or strike a recruit.  1) they didn't need cuss words to dress you down. 2) we still had a guy who had an accident in the whiskey locker( walk in broom closet.) he limped out... had it coming too.

Damn Slorch is a Disneyland Marine?   I was 3rd Battalion at PI. (Where they couldn't hear you scream.)  And we only needed 3 of those bad ass DI's.

Years later in my zero life I was in a squadron next door to the the meanest of our drill instructors (a lowly LCPL at that.)  He was now a Gunny and I was a Captain and there was no way in hell I was going to let him know I was within the same zip-code. Fucker gave me a scar on my hand that reminded me of him for 20 some odd years.  But yea, I had it coming.

Getting back on topic, the boot camp scenes were the closest any of the rest of you will ever get to the real thing. R. Lee was legit.

Edited by DallasGatr
  • Like 2