Full Metal Jacket

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

Cajun and I would listen to the soundtrack while we drove from Austin to his ranch in Bigfoot. At night. After drinking all night in Austin. With our ARs and AKs long before everybody had them. It’s a miracle we survived. It’s a miracle we survived lots of shit. 

Wrong thread, but it fits.

BlankEntireCony-size_restricted.gif

It’s a great movie where the first half is a lot better than the second half. As far as war movies go, every Vietnam Vet I’ve ever spoken to says that We Were Soldiers is a close to real as it gets.

8 hours ago, RPM said:

Wrong thread, but it fits.

BlankEntireCony-size_restricted.gif

We listened to the soundtrack of FMJ. That is some creepy music when you’re driving through a dark ranch with beer and high powered rifles. I know we’re still on the “Most Wanted List” in the jackrabbit world. God. We slaughtered them. 

On 5/4/2019 at 12:20 AM, DCA_HORN said:

I think the second half was a much better movie. For those of us that weren't there the first half was very instructional and gunny was great but after the first viewing it gets old.

You're an idiot.

Another R Lee Ermey flick that gets very little pub...

The Siege of Firebase Gloria.

Harkens back to the good ole shoot em up movies.  You can thank me later.

On 5/4/2019 at 7:52 AM, Lat22 said:

We listened to the soundtrack of FMJ. That is some creepy music when you’re driving through a dark ranch with beer and high powered rifles. I know we’re still on the “Most Wanted List” in the jackrabbit world. God. We slaughtered them. 

You will rot in jackrabbit hell.  Congrats. 

I have come to realize that I will be headed to catfish hell. Not looking forward to being skinned alive for all eternity 

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Another R Lee Ermey flick that gets very little pub...

The Siege of Firebase Gloria.

Love. That. Movie.

1 hour ago, AUinHsv said:

Really liked as Coach Bowerman in Pre.  Proved he could act in roles other than military.  

Man knew how to stop people from screwing with his mailbox.

9 hours ago, RPM said:

Love. That. Movie.

Man knew how to stop people from screwing with his mailbox.

and his wife was probably very happy when Nike started making waffle shoes instead of Bill doing it in the backyard with her waffle iron

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 11:57 PM, Hate said:

It’s a great movie where the first half is a lot better than the second half. As far as war movies go, every Vietnam Vet I’ve ever spoken to says that We Were Soldiers is a close to real as it gets.

My Uncle had told me that "Hamburger Hill" was closer to his experience.

good flick.

I know this is really petty, but knowing they shot the Vietnam scenes in England kind takes me out of the movie a bit, somehow makes it seem less authentic.

But yeah, the first half of the movie is very Kubricky. in a good way.

23 minutes ago, yoladu said:

I know this is really petty, but knowing they shot the Vietnam scenes in England kind takes me out of the movie a bit, somehow makes it seem less authentic.

But yeah, the first half of the movie is very Kubricky. in a good way.

Well.  Vietnam wasn't  very accessible to American film crews back in the day as they were the quintessential Soviet Bloc country in SE Asia.   Especially when the subject was about a war that end a little over 10 years from when the movie was filmed.   But yes I always wonder why England was chosen since   Platoon and Hamburger Hill were filmed in Philippines.   Kubrick did a great job adapting the war scenes to show a different front in the war where as most Vietnam War movies focused on the jungle war front.

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

My Uncle had told me that "Hamburger Hill" was closer to his experience.

good flick.

Friend of mine fought in Vietnam.  He told me Hamburger Hill came the closest to replicating Vietnam for him.  He didn't care for Platoon.  (I don't think I ever asked him about FMJ, or if I did I can't recall what he said.)

20 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Well.  Vietnam wasn't  very accessible to American film crews back in the day as they were the quintessential Soviet Bloc country in SE Asia.   Especially when the subject was about a war that end a little over 10 years from when the movie was filmed.   But yes I always wonder why England was chosen since   Platoon and Hamburger Hill were filmed in Philippines.   Kubrick did a great job adapting the war scenes to show a different front in the war where as most Vietnam War movies focused on the jungle war front.

I read an article about Kubrick/FMJ when the movie came out in the 80's.  As I recall, he claimed that, based on reviews of photos and videos taken in and around Hue in 1968, the abandoned industrial areas in which they filmed were close to looking like the sites of the urban fighting that occurred in Hue during the Tet Offensive.  

For all I know, that could have been Kubrick rationalizing filming in England so that he didn't have to travel halfway around the world, but that's basically what he said at the time. 

The movie suffers from Matthew Modine being a shitty actor and drops off in the 2nd half. 

I always thought the wooden acting especially from Modine was so obvious that it had to be a Kubrick thing for the sake of his “art”. I guess the argument could be made that Modine was bad even after taking that in to account.

For example “I want to slide my tubesteak in to your sister” line. So strange and unnatural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I read an article about Kubrick/FMJ when the movie came out in the 80's.  As I recall, he claimed that, based on reviews of photos and videos taken in and around Hue in 1968, the abandoned industrial areas in which they filmed were close to looking like the sites of the urban fighting that occurred in Hue during the Tet Offensive.  

For all I know, that could have been Kubrick rationalizing filming in England so that he didn't have to travel halfway around the world, but that's basically what he said at the time. 

Here's a pretty cool article about the location. 

‘Instead of Vietnam, we went to Beckton gasworks. All we had to do was put signs on it and blow it up’

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/aug/01/how-we-made-full-metal-jacket-stanley-kubrick-matthew-modine

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

Kubrick never left England

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E.

We play fair and we work hard and we're in harmony.
M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E.

Mickey Mouse. (Mickey Mouse.)

Forever let us hold our banner high.
High. High. High.

Boys and girls from far and near you're as welcome as can be.
M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E.

Who's the leader of the club that's made for you and me?
M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Kubrick never left England

Neat trick, considering he was born in NYC.

But, yeah, I know he rarely left England after moving there.  And given that, he was going to do what it took to film in England so long as it satisfied the perfectionist in him. 

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E.

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E.

Mickey Mouse. (Mickey Mouse.) Donald Duck!
Mickey Mouse. (Mickey Mouse.) Donald Duck!

High. High. High.

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E.

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E.

fify

Yeah, I kind of understand why they don’t film Vietnam War movies in Vietnam. There is probably still a pretty good percentage of people there that would freak out seeing helicopters and explosions even today.

I had the pleasure of flying from LA to Dallas next to a DI.  He had a couple of photo books and was telling me all about the training, etc.  I honestly had never met anyone so proud of what he was doing, and so happy to be what he was doing.   Gave me the run down on who made the best recruits, worst recruits,history, marine sharpshooting.  Infectious character.  Had what seemed like forty pictures that were all variations on this type of stuff.

1000w_q95.jpg

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E.

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E.

High. High. High.

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E.

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E.

My thoughts drift back to erect nipple wet dreams about Mary Jane Rottencrotch and the great homecoming fuck fantasy.