RIP Peter Mayhew

mdmost

57 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Damn. He was always super involved on reddit and did great AMAs. 

He was still playing Chewie in the new trilogy, correct? Hope he got to finish all of his scenes and see the film.

He did some of the parts where Chewie was sitting in the Falcon in The Force Awakens  because he was not able to stand without help. He brought along the new guy who has been Chewie in the new trilogy and Solo. 

Edited by mdmost

58 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

He and his wife, Angie, used to live right out the front gate of our subdivision, here in Granbury. Helluva guy. Think he moved to Decatur.

CHIEF

Between Boyd and Decatur. Used to see him in Walmart all the time.

3 hours ago, CHIEF said:

He and his wife, Angie, used to live right out the front gate of our subdivision, here in Granbury. Helluva guy. Think he moved to Decatur.

CHIEF

was he not swimming in a lake of gold coins like scrooge mcduck?  chewie is one of the most iconic characters to ever appear on screen.  I would’ve thought he had fuck you money. 

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

was he not swimming in a lake of gold coins like scrooge mcduck?  chewie is one of the most iconic characters to ever appear on screen.  I would’ve thought he had fuck you money. 

There's a pretty significant pay gap faced by walking carpets....or so I've read.

He had been scheduled to appear at the Dallas Fan Expo this weekend. I was just looking at their site earlier this week and saw he would be available for autographs. He's been a mainstay at area conventions for over 20 years. If memory serves, that's how he met his wife.

4 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Boyd.  

It blows my mind that an English actor decided to settle down in a suburb of Decatur.  

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, he and Prowse were not paid nearly as much as people think.  

holy shit google says his net worth was $500k.  goddamn chewbacca wasn’t even a millionaire.  is george lucas just the greediest fattest fucking feral pig in the industry?

That's part of why he and the ancillary actors all did so many conventions where you either get a flat appearance fee or get paid per autograph or picture. Aside, from having adoring fans coming up to you, of course. But yeah, seems like George should've gave these guys some backend deals but I never heard any of the OT cast complaining about their pay or post-OT life other than Wedge and that was more complaining about being typecast. 

Edited by mdmost

11 hours ago, futureman said:

Hw lived in a pretty unassuming house, but Angie comes from money. Her Dad owns the most high end and lakefront property in Hood county. However, he just got divorced and his ex-wife ended up with a lot of it.

CSB- Peter's son is kind of an arrogant prick. He was in our 19th hole one night, didn't know everyone new who his dad was. He hinted that he was kin to someone famous, used that connection for all of his passwords. Mrs. CHIEF looks at him and says, "I bet your password is Chewbacca." The look on that fuckers face was epic, cause she was right.

CHIEF

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Somebody took out the John Williams score from the throne room scene, and added back in the original audio (people shuffling feet, coughing, etc.) and you can hear his original voice at about 30 seconds in or so when he growls   

There's a fart at 1:00.   :)

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 7:46 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, he and Prowse were not paid nearly as much as people think.  

Which is understandable. The producers could have put anyone in those costumes & it would have made zero difference to the final product. Is there great talent required to be very tall and/or walk menacingly?

I'm sure they both did quite well financially. They made more money off of Star Wars than any other roles they ever played. 

I can still remember being outside a K-Mart in 1978 at this kiosk and my mom getting me a sweet ringer t-shirt with an iron-on that said "Chewie" in script and had a pic of his head. I wore that thing to threads. RIP to him. My mom too.

Edit: Holy fuck, I decided to look online and see if I could find a pic of the iron on and I did. 

imgur

Edited by Sandman

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2019 at 11:30 PM, Beau Vine said:

Boyd.  

It blows my mind that an English actor decided to settle down in a suburb of Decatur.  

yes, how the hell did Chewie end up in a buttfuck Texas town? This has mystified me for years. 

no disrespect, but his grave will be a must see for Star Wars geeks, especially if it has a Chewie engraved on it. 

Edited by NowThis

On 5/4/2019 at 6:53 PM, Red Five said:

I now want that shirt more than anything on earth. 

I wound up buying that iron-on off of ebay, $15 plus shipping. I'm going to order a shirt that matches the one I had as a kid and have a local place heat-press it. Not sure if I'll wear it out in public but I'm doing it anyway.

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

I wound up buying that iron-on off of ebay, $15 plus shipping. I'm going to order a shirt that matches the one I had as a kid and have a local place heat-press it. Not sure if I'll wear it out in public but I'm doing it anyway.

Does anyone remember just how little those types of decals didn't breathe? As in, your chest would sweat like a mofo and the shirt would stick to you like flypaper.

At least that's what I recall as a kid in MN with the C-3PO version.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the iron-on. Turns out, it's a vintage 1977 iron-on, not a reproduction. It was in amazing shape, looked brand new. I bought a blank shirt that looks close enough to the shirt I had as a kid and took everything to a local embroidery/uniform shop. The lady said she'd do the best she could but she wasn't sure how it would turn out, just because of the age of the iron-on. Well, it turned out pretty good. There are a couple of spots that didn't adhere but that's to be expected IMO. It makes the shirt have a vintage look to it, like it's broken in already. I'm pleased with it.

imgur