2017-18 Rockets Thread

The Tower

16 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

What the fuck was your handle on shaggy? You’re the worst poster hete by far as witnessed by your neg rep.

except that I'm right so often it pisses off the masses. Utah was widely acclaimed as a top 5 team on other threads by self proclaimed basketball gods who were wrong. 

• Fuck You 3

The Rockets have the Full Bird exception on Ariza and Capela(played for the Rockets at least 3 years consecutive years), and Paul who's Bird's rights were transferred to the Rockets in the trade with the Clippers. So the Rockets can exceed the cap to resign them at a contract starting at the maximum. For Capela that is 25% of the cap, for Ariza and Paul 35%. 

The Rockets have the Non-Bird rights to Luc and Green. Meaning they can sign them to a 4 year deal starting at 120% of their previous contract or 120% of the league's minimum salary, whichever is greater. Though I'm not completely sure if they can exceed the cap to do it. There is nothing I've read that says definitely one way or the other.

Needless to say, it's very likely that the entire team is going to be brought back next year.

Still too early to think about it but hopefully CP3 compromise on a contract less the 5 year max 🤤. There are other teams that would fit him and have the cap space (76ers and Lakers?) so Harden will need to cozy up.  As for Capela, I'm sure Cuban is ready to pounce with a max offer typed up and champagne on ice at the club.

Edited by Chapo

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Philly and Utah would be a very good series. The other 4 teams completely healthy are just on another level than Utah.

you think Clevelands better than Utah?

I think Philly & Boston are the only teams  in the east better than Utah. Id flip a coin if it was Toronto/Cleveland in a game 7 series. GS/Houston in the west. 

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Golden state, Cleveland, Boston, Toronto, Philadelphia, houston. 

If all of those teams are healthy.

boston isn't healthy and won't be again this year so i don't see why that matters for this discussion.

lebron is lebron, but after him how many players on his team would you take over the utah counterpart? i'm definitely taking gobert, mitchell and rubio over kevin love, jr smith and george hill.

philly looks like world beaters right now, but let's see how they look against a legit upper echelon team before we go too far on them too quickly (that probably won't happen until the conference finals though).

even if you concede that all 3 of those teams are better than utah (i do not), that puts them as the #7 team in the league.  they are a really good team and i can't believe there are people who have a problem with saying that.

4 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

pretty funny that he sucked so bad on shaggy that he had to create a fresh handle here and within a month he's already known as a shit poster.

I'm pretty sure he's "neverwenttoUT" from the old board because he said he Kobe won an Oscar for acting. Only a delusional Lakers fan could come to that conclusion, and suck as a poster. We didn't have too many that did both on Shaggy.

Edited by Dutchrudder

nice find.  

i read the first 7 pages and it's mostly just neverwent (who has always been full of anti-capela/houston takes) trashing capela with some gems like this:

With CP3 and Harden as your guards you're going to need a better defensive big man or the Rockets defense will be Swiss cheese especially if Ariza is moved. Capella is good on the pnr but he is a minus on the defensive end unless he has made strides since last year.

Yea the one I watched played in more games than just the Spur series. Guy averaged a block a game one I am willing to bet has been stagnant over his career thus far, he doesn't rebound all that well, and no one is afraid of Clint Capela in the middle of the paint. There is a reason even Mike 'Antoni only played him roughly 20 minutes a game despite how good he was on the PnR with Harden. I do expect his block number to increase to almost 2 a game because he is going to get challenged a lot more without Beverly on the perimeter. But besides being fans of the Rockets I really don't get this love affair with Capela, I mean outside of his pick n roll offense what do you have?

14 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

boston isn't healthy and won't be again this year so i don't see why that matters for this discussion.

lebron is lebron, but after him how many players on his team would you take over the utah counterpart? i'm definitely taking gobert, mitchell and rubio over kevin love, jr smith and george hill.

philly looks like world beaters right now, but let's see how they look against a legit upper echelon team before we go too far on them too quickly (that probably won't happen until the conference finals though).

even if you concede that all 3 of those teams are better than utah (i do not), that puts them as the #7 team in the league.  they are a really good team and i can't believe there are people who have a problem with saying that.

I put IF in my post, not sure IF you caught the word IF. Secondly, Utah beat okc who blows ass and now wants to act like they are legit contenders. Being #7 in the league is fine to say but let's be honest, in the West there is Houston and Golden St and a pretty massive gap to the #3. and the same #3 who got swept by New Orleans who was #6. If you wanna be really honest then say Minnesota would have never even dropped to #8 had Butler gotten hurt. I've said this many times, seeds 3-8 in the West is separated by 1/2 games and when those teams play each other they will be good series. Houston and GS are showing how large of a gap there is between the two teams.

On 4/25/2018 at 10:47 PM, Simon Honeybone said:

This team is gonna lose to Utah WTF!

On 4/25/2018 at 10:49 PM, Teddy Tucker said:

Yeah no. Minnesota’s a worse matchup for us than Utah

On 4/25/2018 at 10:51 PM, TexArcher said:

Your mother loses to Utah.

On 4/25/2018 at 10:53 PM, HtownHorn said:

Bullshit. People keep thinking Minnesota is a bad team. Had Butler been healthy they would have been a Top 4 seed. They went 8-9 without him after being  40-30 before he got hurt.  They finished 1 game behind Utah, but were even in the HTH and had the same conference record. In fact Minnesota, Utah, and Golden State all tied for the 2nd best conference record.

So many people don't understand the power of the reverse double jinx.  Did anyone see the outcome of the Jazz collapse against the Thunder shortly after I posted this?  That same exact collapse which then forced them to play Game 6 back in Utah and then come into the TC with tired legs and get run out of the gym in the first half on Sunday?  I assume you guys at least saw the fact that after I made that post Minnesota never threatened again.