Houston, we have a hooker problem.

HenryJames

9 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Pretty much.

And some dweeb negged me for calling Houston a ghetto. It mostly is, and I say that as a “native houstonian”.

No one wants to live east of 45 (we are talking inside the beltway). Really it’s more than that because you have to go west to get to shitty acres homes and independence heights. Large parts of the city south of 10 are a no go. There obviously nice neighborhoods in the city, but they are far outnumbered by the bad ones and they are very expensive.

Food is great here. Making money is easy.

I use to travel a lot from Memorial Drive and Piney Point to around Shepherd and W Gray and it seemed all right.

Just now, Grade of D as in David said:

No shit. It's like everyone forgot about Treasures.

haven't  been to Treasures since the 2005 World Series... so tell me the details. It was a regular club, not that dirty, what has changed in 14 years? 

20 minutes ago, NowThis said:

truth, aside from the memorial area (somewhat) 

I started to make a map, but then I realized I have been drinking too much to do that.  But yeah, anyone wanting to live in the city proper, let's call that inside the beltway, is going to pay at a minimum $400,000 to do so.  Even then, some of those neighborhoods don't have good schools and you will have to do magnet programs or private school.  If you look at the map, it is essentially West Houston, but even then, it is hardly a contiguous area.  For instance Bellaire is nice, but Gulfton is a shithole.  Oak Forest is nice, but Acres Homes and Independence Heights are shit.  Essentially anything east of 45 inside the beltway is shit (yeah, a couple of pockets in the near northside and east Houston are ok...again, schools).  All I am saying is, massive parts of Houston's footprint are places where most folks, if they had the choice, would not want to raise a family.  And the places that are good, are out of the reach the vast majority of the population.  Houston is a prosperous city, but the dichotomy of rich and poor is massive. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I was born and raised in Houston. Anything east of 45 is danger zone. That’s half the city. (Excluding downtown)

the west side isn't what it used to be, and it wasn't great 20-30 years ago either. Houston City Limits is indeed a place to avoid unless you are a millionaire in Memorial.  The burbs - Katy and Woodlands are decent. Feel sorry for the middle class who has to commute 25-30 miles into Houston for jobs. 

10 minutes ago, NowThis said:

the west side isn't what it used to be, and it wasn't great 20-30 years ago either. Houston City Limits is indeed a place to avoid unless you are a millionaire in Memorial.  The burbs - Katy and Woodlands are decent. Feel sorry for the middle class who has to commute 25-30 miles into Houston for jobs. 

Anything west of downtown between I-10 and 59 is fine if you can afford it. Also include West U, Heights in that too. Of course when I say 59, I pretty much mean Richmond after you cross 610 heading west.

19 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I think most actually agree with you that there is a very dark side to the whole thing for many of these women.  However, just like the war on drugs, after how many years of failed policy and enforcement is it time to change laws and try something else?  Enforcing these laws and putting these women in prison doesn't help most of them.  Only a small percentage I would guess are able to break the cycle that way.

You never stop the problem by arresting the women. The only way is to arrest the Johns.  And publicize it, which they do on the chron website. I assure you that has stopped some men. 

If hpd really wanted to stop this, they could. Perhaps this latest series might embarrass them enough to do something.

You never stop the problem by arresting the women. The only way is to arrest the Johns.  And publicize it, which they do on the chron website. I assure you that has stopped some men. 
If hpd really wanted to stop this, they could. Perhaps this latest series might embarrass them enough to do something.

I agree that is a good deterrent, but that will never stop prostitution entirely.

On 5/4/2019 at 7:39 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

Pretty much.

And some dweeb negged me for calling Houston a ghetto. It mostly is, and I say that as a “native houstonian”.

No one wants to live east of 45 (we are talking inside the beltway). Really it’s more than that because you have to go west to get to shitty acres homes and independence heights. Large parts of the city south of 10 are a no go. There obviously nice neighborhoods in the city, but they are far outnumbered by the bad ones and they are very expensive.

Food is great here. Making money is easy.

You just described every big city.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I agree that is a good deterrent, but that will never stop prostitution entirely.

Enforcement of any law can never fully stop the crime.  Eventually the margin costs becomes too high.   Personally I don’t care about prostitution crime itself but it enables the crime where many are forced  to be prostitutes. 

The way you described it is the way it's always been. It's safer now and there are more nice neighborhoods inside the loop. I remember when the Heights was the hood.

It is safer now. I am 43, so yeah I remember when the heights and rice military were bad. It doesn’t change anything I said about the majority of the city not being a place where you would want to raise a family.

"We must get hookers off the streets. It looks bad to have these women out there on street corners as people drive by with their children."

"Let's dress up women cops as hookers and put them on street corners. That will solve the problem of having women on street corners looking bad."

• Like 1

If there is a better way to solve the prostitution problem other than making it legal, I’m all ears. 

Obviously the traditional people out there think that paying for sex is morally wrong, therefore it must be outlawed. I believe the past 2000 years of human nature has proven men will not be deterred from exchanging currency for sex even under the threat of jail or shame, and the same can be said for women willing to provide venue. 

Other than moral protests, the main criticisms of prostitution are safety, violence, human trafficking, and visibility. I believe you can solve most of those problems with legality and technology. With legality, you can have mandatory regulations, mandatory testing, workers rights, a safe place to work, unionization, etc. Technology helps with private practice. Imagine a woman who uses an App to screen new clients, verify test results of new or old clients, background checks, whatever. Not to mention, the groups who want to support or dissuade woman from this life can easily locate women and help them if needed. 

I am not naive to think legality will solve everything. There will still be people who are doing this for drugs, or because of an abusive relationship, or because they believe they have no where else to go. That will still happen. But maybe some of them can be helped by the support groups or union benefits. 

What I do know if the old way doesn’t do shit. It only leads to human trafficking, drugs, and shame. 

Edited by Neonmoon
Spelling

On 5/4/2019 at 12:47 PM, Brothahorn said:

I have more sympathy for the guy who has to fuck this than the actual ho. Imagine being so down on your luck this is the best you can pay for.

36553109215_c974423c78_b.jpg

Does playing with all four tiddies cost extra? Maybe it’s just one price and you pitch til you win.

On 5/4/2019 at 9:09 PM, NowThis said:

haven't  been to Treasures since the 2005 World Series... so tell me the details. It was a regular club, not that dirty, what has changed in 14 years? 

Treasures was the same in 2005 as it is now. Guess you just weren't paying attention. 

On 5/4/2019 at 10:07 PM, NowThis said:

This is a quick map of inside the 610 loop and a little bit outside.The areas in yellow are all nice places to live, but houses are getting expensive to own. The blue areas are gentrifying at a pretty good pace. You know the 3rd ward is coming around when single females move in the area.

Capture.jpg

Edited by mycox
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, mycox said:

This is a quick map of inside the 610 loop and a little bit outside.The areas in yellow are all nice places to live, but houses are getting expensive to own. The blue areas are gentrifying at a pretty good pace. You know the 3rd ward is coming around when single females move in the area. Lawndale is also nice.

Capture.jpg

On 5/4/2019 at 12:18 PM, Newdoc said:

Yeah, there is a huge percentage of these girls who are trafficked and most of the rest strung out or in a situation they just can’t get out of without some help.

Some of the live and let live proponents in this thread are just as Polly Anna as your “everyone believes in Jesus and is a saint” grandparents if you think legalizing this will clean up the mess. It may help but there is a deep horrible underbelly to this trade and it’s not about legalization.

This is spot on. It is proven that human trafficking increases in areas where prostitution is legal.

14 minutes ago, slorch said:

LMFAO at Shady Acres or anyhwere inside that northern side of 610 being halfway "nice places to live."

No fucking way...

You are 100% wrong. That area has blown up the past few years.

Edited by mycox
Other than I think Sydney Carton lives in the area. That probably drives down the home values.
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, mycox said:

You are 100% wrong

Sure i am.  30% of the folks being worried about crime is a fantastic fucking neighborhood, right?

houston-gang-map-crime-map-houston-smart 

Hey Slorch, that map is 9 years old.  Things have changed!!!

houstonheatmap.jpg

Edited by slorch

This is spot on. It is proven that human trafficking increases in areas where prostitution is legal.

I would really like to see some data on this. hear a lot of talk about human trafficking, but very few arrests for that. If they were busting rings of sex slaves why aren’t they freeing the slaves rather than tossing them in jail. Mostly what you hear about is some famous person getting their pud yanked.

6 minutes ago, Nivek said:

2010 survey...

The 2nd one is not.

But nah, mayne...

There ain't no criminal areas of Houston.   It's just a giant fucking Mayberry...

Edited by slorch

Slorch, just stay living way out in the sticks. We are fine over here. Don't talk about topics you know nothing about.

No hookers in there area I posted. Just homes that go for $300k and up

Edited by mycox
  • Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 8:16 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

But then they might accidentally have to put Tony Buzbee's shit on blast.

3 minutes ago, mycox said:

Slorch, just stay living way out in the sticks. We are fine over here.

No hookers in there area I posted. Just homes that go for $300k and up

You're right.  I've never been working in those areas at 2-3 in the morning.

Nothing to see here...

LOL.