Texas @ Kansas

bschoolprof

Just now, johnny utah said:

Maybe the least clutch Texas baseball team ever.  

I don't know about that but this is absolutely the worst UT bullpen I have ever seen. I haven't done any statistical analysis or anything but the 8th and 9th innings are disasters every game now.

Just now, Valmy77 said:

I don't know about that but this is absolutely the worst UT bullpen I have ever seen. I haven't done any statistical analysis or anything but the 8th and 9th innings are disasters every game now.

Guys on radio said something about 9th inning being the Worst inning stylistically for Horns pitchers this year.....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I know I say this every Friday but Elder deserved better.

Elder needs to kick some veteran Longhorn players asses!!  The hitting has been deplorable with at least 12 strikeouts for Longhorn batters tonight......

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, txhorns said:

The player who hit the walkoff homed run was hitting .216 on the year.  0 home runs.  6 RBIs.

Yet when he's served up a parmesan dusted meatball, he manages to demolish it. Our guys would just foul it off. Or look at it.

10 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Going into that outing opponents were hitting .178 vs Bocchi and he had a .1.80 ERA.   He s who you wanted out there. 

8 minutes ago, txhorns said:

The player who hit the walkoff homed run was hitting .216 on the year.  0 home runs.  6 RBIs.

Yet it seemed all too predictable.

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Had a ninth inning lead in like 4 of those losses I think. 

Yeah.... there is NO ONE that Texas can depend on to get outs in their bullpen.

Still wish Pierce would move Elder back to bullpen and try him as a closer....

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

we are a fucking abortion and David Pierce is a 2nd rate coach. an entire fucking season to find and coach up a closer and he can't do it.  his hitters are D2 level.  Its completely embarrassing. 

I get that people are upset but this is dumb. We’ve pretty much overachieved in the first two years with a bunch of slap hitting short stop types. It took Augie 5 years to overhaul where Gus left us. Relax, the man knows baseball. It’s a simple game. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dcar00 said:

we are a fucking abortion and David Pierce is a 2nd rate coach. an entire fucking season to find and coach up a closer and he can't do it.  his hitters are D2 level.  Its completely embarrassing. 

Seconded.

I was teetering with Pierce, but this level of embarrassment calls for a change.

Well I knew it was going to be a nutkick when I spent $5 to watch that shit.   But now I'm contemplating asking for a refund on pure principle for the garbage on display in the 9th. 

Pierce has gone from the penthouse to the shithouse quick.  Shitshow! 

Edited by HuntinHorn

10 hours ago, txhorns said:

In other words, we could sure use him to bolster our lineup.

Wow, we lost to Kansas.  So if KU wins today, we get to avoid foolish things like conference tournaments?

Pierce is proving to be pretty useless, but this is on e'rrbody.  Like the whole team is a buncha dorks.

pnLusyc1qV1l.jpg

18 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

So if KU wins today, we get to avoid foolish things like conference tournaments

I don’t think we’re technically out of it even if they sweep.  After this series we will have 3 conference games left and they will have 6.  That’s potential for a 4.5 game swing.  

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I don’t think we’re technically out of it even if they sweep.  After this series we will have 3 conference games left and they will have 6.  That’s potential for a 4.5 game swing.  

Oh yeah, forgot about next week.  Can't blame me though.

The thing is, even this absolute abortion of a team will beat OU or at least win the series.  They always fuck up vs. us.  I see no reason why they won't again.

And Kansas will probably win our series then lose the next 2 series by like 325-2.  So Pierce & co. will probably make it.

But they're still dorks.

Edited by phdhorn

11 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

This teams ineptitude is pretty funny at this point.  How will they lose tomorrow?

giphy.gif

They are the definition of ineptitude.... continuing their failures by finding new ways to lose........

6 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

I get that people are upset but this is dumb. We’ve pretty much overachieved in the first two years with a bunch of slap hitting short stop types. It took Augie 5 years to overhaul where Gus left us. Relax, the man knows baseball. It’s a simple game. 

Simple enough to bunt in the bottom of the 9th with runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out and down 1. Which we should have done last week but didn't against WVU.

Or simple enough not to groove pitches down the middle on 0-2 and 1-2 counts for bombs, which this staff has done all season, and Bochi has done his last two games trying to close to lose them. 

Practices are a joke per multiple former players. The coaching staff is abysmal.

8 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Great perspective post.  I havent lived in Austin for more than 25 years and have had to get my baseball fix online for most of that time, so I didn't "witness" the one other coaching change we've had in the last 50 years.  But, as far as I knew and recall, Augie had a really rough go for a few years.  So maybe four years really isn't enough time.  I think in both cases, recruiting had fallen substantially below Texas Baseball traditional standards, and you can't fix that overnight, even if you are Augie fuckin Garrido.

9 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Agree that Gus left Augie a shit sandwich but this is awful.  

9 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

we only made the CWS because Kody Clemens was a monster and we were fortunate to play Tenn Tech.   I will give him that we were good enough to make a regional the first 2 years and host one(which is about the minimum expectation).  we have 3 years of slap hitting(sans Kody) and no end in sight really.  

My problem is this team is getting WORSE not better as the season progresses.  That is a very bad sign for a coach. In a normal situation, I don't think he lasts 2 years after this but he's got Shaka's criminal failure to take some heat off.  maybe he will find another Kody Clemens(or possibly 2 players that can combine for that).

Either way the shine is off and that makes recruiting harder.  he needs to take a hard look at his staff.  There are some coaching moves that I don't understand.  multiple times this year we had Zubia on 2nd with no outs and we didn't bunt him over.  the guy can't score on a single so get him to 3rd where a single scores him for sure and a deep fly or error scores him.

the inability to get someone, anyone to be a decent closer is just mind bottling.

• Like 1