Turns Out E-Scooters Might Be The End of Society

Doc Reeves

33 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Not sure why he felt the need to cut the brakes, that's serious shit of someone gets hurt.  Covering the QR code is enough, although a shot of spray paint is more permanent, or a dummy qr code sticker over the real one would cause a shitload of confusion.

You seem to know a LOT about messing with e-scooters...

(don't worry we won't tell your secrets to the police)

40 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Not sure why he felt the need to cut the brakes, that's serious shit of someone gets hurt.  Covering the QR code is enough, although a shot of spray paint is more permanent, or a dummy qr code sticker over the real one would cause a shitload of confusion.

Dummy QR code with a $5 deposit into an offshore bank account. 

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Not sure why he felt the need to cut the brakes, that's serious shit of someone gets hurt.  Covering the QR code is enough

I mean, covering the QR code should be enough and cutting the brakes is pretty extreme but did he really need to salt the earth?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/31/2019 at 12:39 PM, atomheartbevo said:

So how bad are the e-mopeds coming to Austin going to be?

They are intended to be operated just like regular mopeds (i.e. using motor vehicle intended streets) I signed up and took one around a couple times and they work great and super cheap. I hope people don't actually try and ruin this by taking them on sidewalks and such. They are fucking heavy and would be just like getting hit on the street by a regular one.

6 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

They are intended to be operated just like regular mopeds (i.e. using motor vehicle intended streets) I signed up and took one around a couple times and they work great and super cheap. I hope people don't actually try and ruin this by taking them on sidewalks and such. They are fucking heavy and would be just like getting hit on the street by a regular one.

If people find them parked on the sidewalks, then they will ride them on the sidewalks.  People are really, really stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/31/2019 at 12:39 PM, atomheartbevo said:

So how bad are the e-mopeds coming to Austin going to be?

saw one this week parked on s 1st.  literally had instructions on how to drive printed next to the speedometer.  which implies that people with no motorcycle experience are just gonna hop on and start zipping around town.  how is this shit legal?  or are you required to have a motorcycle license to use them. 

saw one this week parked on s 1st.  literally had instructions on how to drive printed next to the speedometer.  which implies that people with no motorcycle experience are just gonna hop on and start zipping around town.  how is this shit legal?  or are you required to have a motorcycle license to use them. 

That's an interesting point. Usually scooters have 49cc engines, which don't require the rider to have a motorcycle license. So then what is the cutoff for e-scooters? Is there an e-scooter equivalent of a 49cc combustion engine based on energy equivalency? 

Edit: simple... they put a governor on it.

23 hours ago, futureman said:

Lmao, it's not anything like a motorcycle 

13 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Lmao, it's not anything like a motorcycle 

yeah for people that don’t ride motorcycles you’re still sitting on your ass zipping around city traffic on two wheels.  it seems crazy to me.  it’s pretty much identical to a motorcycle in terms of the amount of protection it provides you when broadsided by a buick. 

5 hours ago, futureman said:

yeah for people that don’t ride motorcycles you’re still sitting on your ass zipping around city traffic on two wheels.  it seems crazy to me.  it’s pretty much identical to a motorcycle in terms of the amount of protection it provides you when broadsided by a buick. 

it's population control dude, they're filtering out the idiots

Still a bit different in that they don't have to worry about manipulating a clutch. But, yeah, still scary.

No doubt, but centrifugal clutches can be fun too as inexperienced riders roll on too much power before the auto clutch engages. This is where you see a lot of videos of woman running Honda CRF50/70 bikes through picket fences and into the side of cars parked in the driveway. I’ve see first hand from our back yard to Rio Bravo.

Are those parked in legitimate parking spaces?  If so, I have a feeling car drivers are going to start running over them by the score.

Yep, all 3 are parked in a legit parking space... but I doubt they've paid the meter like cars do. That spot is usually taken early in the morning so I'm guessing the moped company/handler put them there very early this morning (they've been there all day).

45 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Hopefully they get tickets on them

Mopeds are allowed to park in metered areas for up to 12 hours for free. Only after that are they required to pay the meter and/or be ticketed so these are totally legal to be parked where they are. Face it guys, street parking for cars is just a pipe dream going forward.

8 hours ago, KaiserSoze said:

Yep, all 3 are parked in a legit parking space... but I doubt they've paid the meter like cars do. That spot is usually taken early in the morning so I'm guessing the moped company/handler put them there very early this morning (they've been there all day).

So easy to drag out of the way, just like the scooters. They do beep at you though. 

• 9 months later...

Finally

Scooters get the boot: Dallas ends popular rentals due to 'safety concerns'

The Dallas Police Department said there were public safety concerns from residents, city officials said.
b9464406-2171-4d2c-a4a5-85cb80fa1783_16xb9464406-2171-4d2c-a4a5-85cb80fa1783_750

Author: Eline de Bruijn
Published: 6:17 PM CDT August 31, 2020
Updated: 6:17 PM CDT August 31, 2020
Facebook Twitter

Zipping around Downtown Dallas on a rental scooter will soon be a thing of the past after city leaders announced a halt to the program Monday due to safety concerns.

Scooter operators in Dallas will have to end operations by Wednesday and remove scooters from city streets by the "close of business" on Friday, Sept. 4, the city said in a news release.

The Dallas Police Department said there were public safety concerns from residents, the city said.

“We have received complaints about scooters and would like to make substantial changes to the scooter program,” said Transportation Director Mike Rogers. “The changes will include public safety considerations so that the city may have safe modes of alternative transportation.”

Complaints included allegations that companies and riders were not adhering to the dockless vehicle ordinance and it posed a public safety issue, the city said.

The Transportation Department and the police department will host community meetings with residents, business owners and vendors to discuss public safety solutions while the scooters remain off the road.