Turns Out E-Scooters Might Be The End of Society

Doc Reeves

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Won’t the companies just pass on the pricing to the customers?

For sure.

It'll be interesting to see how companies apply the congestion toll. 

First of all, I'm assuming that the city will charge Uber/taxis only for crossing into the congestion zone but no extra toll charge for simply staying in the zone. You have to figure that some rides will start and end in the congestion zone, so no toll will be charged.

If they slap a flat $10 to $15 per ride for crossing into the zone, now a short $8 Uber ride is $18 to $23. If they figure out a way to charge all riders who touch the zone (intra and inter-zone), it'll be more spread out. But from my personal experience, nearly all rides start or end downtown, but not both.

Either way, higher prices mean lower demand and fewer drivers.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019/05/13/scooter-attack-woman-killed-long-beach/

A person of interest was arrested after 63-year-old Rosa Manjarrez De Hernandez was beaten and killed in Long Beach by a man who assaulted her using a rental scooter Monday afternoon, authorities said.

Officers responded about 12:30 p.m. to a report of an assault with a deadly weapon in the 6400 block of North Obispo Avenue, according to Long Beach Police spokesperson Shaunna

On 5/15/2019 at 12:17 PM, elfenix said:

yup.  go to amsterdam.  they've got this figured out.

Don't forget the free boat rides back and forth across the whatchamathingy. Even got a ramp that drops when you land. It's like being in Saving Private Ryan and not getting shot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What a fucking mess these rental scooters are in downtown Austin. Idiot people riding them on sidewalks, bike lanes, car lanes, going the wrong way, not stopping at stoplights. The rules of the road don't apply to them at all.

57 minutes ago, Deej said:

Almost hit one head-on coming up 8th Street the other day. He was going full speed, the wrong way, in my lane, as a cop stood there and watched. Cop didn't do a damned thing. 

You should have run him over.  Should have also done something to the guy on the scooter.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Almost hit one head-on coming up 8th Street the other day. He was going full speed, the wrong way, in my lane, as a cop stood there and watched. Cop didn't do a damned thing. 

And you’d be bitching if he had done his job and shot him.  Sheesh. You can’t have it both ways. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XYZ said:

What a fucking mess these rental scooters are in downtown Austin. Idiot people riding them on sidewalks, bike lanes, car lanes, going the wrong way, not stopping at stoplights. The rules of the road don't apply to them at all.

Gotdam swarms of motorized gnats.   

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Think of all the motorcycle gang movies that can now be remade using escooters. From wild angels and easy rider to akira and dirt bike kid. 

Every Which Way But Loose will take on entirely new meaning.

Guest Lobo

Say what you will about them---but if there are legit concerns about them riding on sidewalks and/or not obeying rules of the road when riding in vehicular lanes, and they do not contain professional drivers in the front seat, and you are largely in control of the motorized vehicle at all times...what about those things says, "Yes, we shall treat them like other taxi cabs!"  ???

On 5/17/2019 at 8:37 PM, Brothahorn said:

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019/05/13/scooter-attack-woman-killed-long-beach/

A person of interest was arrested after 63-year-old Rosa Manjarrez De Hernandez was beaten and killed in Long Beach by a man who assaulted her using a rental scooter Monday afternoon, authorities said.

Officers responded about 12:30 p.m. to a report of an assault with a deadly weapon in the 6400 block of North Obispo Avenue, according to Long Beach Police spokesperson Shaunna

Think I will have to add "bludgeon annoying e-scooter rider to death with his own scooter" to my bucket list.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 11:17 PM, Lhorn said:

I did indeed watch with the sound off.  She got a kickin' body.  That's all I got from that video.

That's all that was necessary, and you ain't kiddin.  Wow.

Apparently she has a website with a lot of NSFW pictures.  piperblush.com .  I didn't actually go there, being in a NSFW environment currently.  But you all can go do what you must.

52 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

Can’t wait !

(not really)

Swedish-Based Company Seeks to Launch Pogo Sticks in SF as E-Scooter Alternative

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Swedish-Based-Company-Seeks-to-Launch-Pogo-Sticks-as-E-Scooter-Alternative-510701691.html%3famp=y

It'll never work. Can't ride it one-handed. How will the derps figure out where they're without looking at their phones constantly?

2 hours ago, EuroHorn said:

Can’t wait !

(not really)

Swedish-Based Company Seeks to Launch Pogo Sticks in SF as E-Scooter Alternative

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Swedish-Based-Company-Seeks-to-Launch-Pogo-Sticks-as-E-Scooter-Alternative-510701691.html%3famp=y

I have an idea. Rentable hula hoops. $1 to unlock and you can hula during your walk to work. It'll be fun and you'll get there faster than the idiots on the pogo sticks.

I wonder if Piper Blush will try to pogo.

A few years back I was behind a suburban towing a ski boat southbound on 360 near Lakewood.  Except the boat was on fire.  It was on fire for a good mile or so before they realized it, and pulled off into the median.  Which then caught the grass on fire.   This one is more satisfying, I think.

15 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

A few years back I was behind a suburban towing a ski boat southbound on 360 near Lakewood.  Except the boat was on fire.  It was on fire for a good mile or so before they realized it, and pulled off into the median.  Which then caught the grass on fire.   This one is more satisfying, I think.

A few years back in Idaho a tourist driving an RV with a car in tow through the winding mountain highway didn’t notice when said car got a flat. Eventually the tire shredded off and the wheel began to send out a shower of sparks, which set fires all along the road. 

Cars following the RV could not get around to warn the clueless driver for many miles.

When he eventually stopped, there were several forest fires going in his wake... with hundreds of firefighters trying to contain the blazes. Supposedly a state agency afterwards sent the numbnut tourist a seven figure bill for damages & firefighting expenses.