Our subpar assistant cosches

Goo Punch

After some seriously lengthy posting on shaggy about the lack of pedigree/experience/quality of our assistants we should bring it over here. To recap:

We started with:

•Mike Morrell- zero experience aside from being an assistant under Shaka. Not our standard.

•David Cason- Had an extremely underwhelming 20+ year career as an assistant before coming to Texas. Finished his career with 6 total tourney appearances. Not even close to our standard.

•Darrin Horn- former HC who took a mid-major to a Sweet 16. Was a head coach at South Carolina and a TV analyst for ESPN before joining Texas. Not a top-level assistant, but a Texas-level assistant nonetheless. He’s done a good job.

After Shaka’s first year he decided that he needed to hire Jai Lucas (27 years old at the time, zero coaching experience) for his last name and supposed recruiting connections. Mike Morrell (35 years old, almost no experience) was deemed disposable and lost his job so that a younger, even more inexperienced man who’d never even been a D-1 assistant could take his place. We completely shit the bed that season, and Cason was the fall guy. Who replaced him? You guessed it- the guy who was deemed disposable for the guy with no experience just one year earlier. Sounds awesome, right? Ugh.

And yet despite all of this, as well as how obviously poorly coached our team is, many on the shaggy iteration of this thread insisted that assistants don’t matter/are interchangeable, and that our coaches are simply just recruiters. In response to those of us who’d say that Shaka needed to hire an experienced, qualified assistant to run his offense these people scoffed or made a farting noise. “You don’t hire an OC in college basketball” as one of them said. And that’s about where we were when we left off. 

Oh yeah, and the only reason I even remembered to reproduce this thread was because I just learned that John Beilein in fact did go out and hire himself a “defensive coordinator” (his words) from  Illinois State, a move that he credits with his team’s run to the Final 4- in fact it’s the best defense Beilein has ever had as a HC- Michigan finished 4th nationally in AdjD. Imagine that; a coach with one side of the ball mastered going and finding an assistant who can elevate the other side of the ball for his program. Seems painfully obvious to me, and yet we still have many skeptics who insist we are fine in the assistant coach department. Okie dokie. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Getting my popcorn ready..

in all seriousness; I asked about it on the old site, but are there offensive/defensive assistants in CBB?  Seems like we’d need a new on on the offensive side.  

Edit: and for the love of god change your fucking name back...

Edited by SDG

2 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

This is where I come out. Are we an assistant away? You’d have to believe Shaka was a good coach to take that position.

Who really knows what the answer is. I’m sure better assistants would help. Whether Shaka even can see that and then fix it is another question.